Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Shouldn’t we embrace Arminianism?

If you want to know what the basics of reformed church ask the pastors or one who is.I'm not and there's more to Calvinism then that .
There's more to calvinism than what?
Pastors of those churches sugar-coat their answers.
I've read SOME of the Institutes...who knows better than Calvin what Calvin believed?
I posted 3.21.5 for you some time ago...you said you wouldn't even reply to it.

Anyway, why do we need the institutes?
The bible is not good enough?

I know the basics of reformed churches...won't be asking any pastor.

If YOU want to discuss, I'll be happy to.
If you don't,,,that's fine with me...
but you say you're not one and then you state beliefs like one.

But you DO NOT have to prove anything to me Jason, that's for sure.
You're allowed to believe what you believe.
:)

Reactions: JLB
There's more to calvinism than what?
Pastors of those churches sugar-coat their answers.
I've read SOME of the Institutes...who knows better than Calvin what Calvin believed?
I posted 3.21.5 for you some time ago...you said you wouldn't even reply to it.

Anyway, why do we need the institutes?
The bible is not good enough?

I know the basics of reformed churches...won't be asking any pastor.

If YOU want to discuss, I'll be happy to.
If you don't,,,that's fine with me...
but you say you're not one and then you state beliefs like one.

But you DO NOT have to prove anything to me Jason, that's for sure.
You're allowed to believe what you believe.
:)
Their words at the synod of dort.

They came up with the terms you hate.

I do bother read up on things.is Catholicism limited to the pope,icons ,and the nuns?

Certainly not.

i see a lot of qnat starining people are taking a ant hill and making it into a mountain.. over the years nothing has changed one denomination belief accuses the other of being wrong. what does the Bible truly say .doctrines of man They worship me in vain, teaching as doctrines human commands." personally i dont care what church name tag you carry . i been in church with all kinds . IT'S ABOUT HIM ..NOT US :thumbsup :cross

You will find it hard to believe, but what I have been posting is all about looking to God rather than gazing at oneself in the mirror.

Let's start from the beginning Who Me.

In post no. 72 YOU stated:

You stated that God is only glorified IF HE IS IN CONTROL.

To which I replied:
What a weak god that would be.

Now, above, you're telling ME that I said God is weak.
Do you understand satire?
YOU are making God weak by stating that He is ONLY GLORIFIED by being
IN CONTROL.

God is in control in any case...
nothing happens that God does not PERMIT to happen.
This is different than God CAUSING something to happen.
It's imperative to know this difference.

BUT

If God NEEDS TO BE IN CONTROL to be GLORIFIED....
Then I repeat:

HE IS A WEAK GOD INDEED.

It a glorious and sovereign and almighty and good God
that IS NOT AFRAID of giving mankind free will.

Do you understand me now?
If I've misunderstood you, please advise.

Sarcasm, and satire does not come across in the written word.
If you want to like fun put a simile at the end, otherwise you will be taken seriously.

Sarcasm, and satire does not come across in the written word.
If you want to like fun put a simile at the end, otherwise you will be taken seriously.
I was not being funny or sarcastic.
I was serious.

Again:
Anyone who believes that God needs to BE IN CONTROL
TO BE GLORIFIED
must think He is a really weak God.

No sarcasm.
No kidding around.

I was not being funny or sarcastic.
I was serious.

Again:
TO BE GLORIFIED

No sarcasm.
No kidding around.
God isn't control when Hitler killed the 6 million.

He was powerless to stop sin?)God lost his throne ?

God just will one day get mad and return .?
He can't withold his wrath to allow more to repent .if false then yes God is in control

Can man do something that God won't allow like destroy all life on earth ,to stop and decimate the church,to end the very power of the bible?

If no ,then yes God is in control ..

Can satan act against Gods will to destroy the church ?
If no,then God is in control.

Again:
TO BE GLORIFIED
wrong on all counts God has to be in control or else it will not work ..look at the chos in the world over this virus. its sad our world is falling apart , back to statement
no he is all powerful we are weak .

wrong on all counts God has to be in control or else it will not work ..look at the chos in the world over this virus. its sad our world is falling apart , back to statement no he is all powerful we are weak .
OK
But you misunderstood my whole point.

Isn’t anything opposed to this a false doctrine. What I’m seeing is that people against Arminianism are saying that some are destined to hell. Hahahaha! What a joke right? Can you imagine that we believed in what Jesus did for us and then we get casted into hell because God hated us before we were born lol.
Some joker on YouTube is trying to say that I misinterpret John 3:16 and that I’m of the tares. I told them I can laugh at them blindfolded and that I’m so upity and confident that I am saved.

Michelina,

My answer to your OP is that I consider the Bible teaches Reformed/Classical Arminianism as articulated in The Works of James Arminius. I'm a 'leaky' Reformed Arminian as I don't accept infant baptism.

Oz

God isn't control when Hitler killed the 6 million.

He was powerless to stop sin?)God lost his throne ?

God just will one day get mad and return .?
He can't withold his wrath to allow more to repent .if false then yes God is in control

Can man do something that God won't allow like destroy all life on earth ,to stop and decimate the church,to end the very power of the bible?

If no ,then yes God is in control ..

Can satan act against Gods will to destroy the church ?
If no,then God is in control.
OK Jason....
God is in control.
He decides who is saved and who is lost.
Based on nothing at all.
Jesus only died for those that are saved, not for the whole world.
If God wants you saved...by golly, you WILL be saved.
And if God saves you,,,nothing can take your salvation away,,,,

because anyway you have no free will.

Happy now?

Of course, I don't believe any of the above.
But I'm finding it difficult to speak to both YOU and jerry63935 .

Michelina,

My answer to your OP is that I consider the Bible teaches Reformed/Classical Arminianism as articulated in The Works of James Arminius. I'm a 'leaky' Reformed Arminian as I don't accept infant baptism.

Oz
Oz,,,,
Just an aside....
Infants were baptized in the early Christian church but not for salvation purposes.
It was to allow them to have blessings from God and to be a part of the community.

It was not until Augustine of Hippo in the 5th century that infants were baptized for salvation purposes because of his teachings, which the church at that time accepted.

Unfortunately.

And which the reformation changed back to its original intent (for those churches that are Protestant that DO baptize infants).

OK Jason....
God is in control.
Based on nothing at all.

Happy now?

wondering,

Has God lost his all-powerful attribute and sovereignty in this COVID-19 outbreak?

Oz

Oz,,,,
Just an aside....
Infants were baptized in the early Christian church but not for salvation purposes.
It was to allow them to have blessings from God and to be a part of the community.

It was not until Augustine of Hippo in the 5th century that infants were baptized for salvation purposes because of his teachings, which the church at that time accepted.

Unfortunately.

And which the reformation changed back to its original intent (for those churches that are Protestant that DO baptize infants).

wondering,

Here's an interesting article dealing with baptism in the early church fathers: The Necessity of Baptism.

There is a fair amount of baptism for salvation in these quotes.

Oz

OK Jason....
God is in control.
Based on nothing at all.

Happy now?

Because you misunderstand the ideas of omniscient.and our finite minds and lives.

God doesn't know the future and isn't able already see and foreknoe what we do?

Hitler ,and all manner of evil back in,genesis 3 after the fall was a shock to God,he didn't plan for Adams fall?

Look,the idea of limited free will implies God allow us to choose death or life.

You also assume at birth ,during your days as an embryo you got a choice in the personality ,your sex?

Your abilities ?

Look does it not say that God raises kings up and puts them down?

Daniel 2:21.

Where or when did He stop doing that .

If God didn't say this ,what did he mean by it ,the kings just built that nation by themselves ?trump,was simply or any leader made themselves by, their own choice to be leaders and that their wasn't any divine providence .talents don't get you there ,often its being in the right place ,there are plenty of better leaders that aren't over nations .

Once you try to see it from Gods outside of view of time ,this debate of john vs jacob is quite unimportant .

Please actually ponder this from,Gods view of knowing us,we can't think or do anything he doesn't already know. You do know he desires all,to be saved yet knows not all will.

You are caught up in that he simply waits until,you decided and reject him to,the point of no return versus he already knew that and simply sends men offering the gospel and you reject them,to,the point of being reprobabate.

This free will and debate is hinging on what side of the coin of time ,our view of it or Gods. We really are limited on this and the nature of the trinity .

Every view of the trinity has holes.we can't describe a monotheistic God of three persons easily ,each having eternal roles,co eternal,co equal but are different the Father isn't the Son ,the Spirit is the Son nor the Father ,the Son isn't Father nor The Son.each having the same qualities.

My biggest concern is you make God sound so small that He waits on us to do anything ,that only man can do ,I'm,not suggesting we can't frustrate God ,grieve the Spirit .

Do you,deny that it says say not we shall do this or that for tomorrow isn't promised ,we ought to thank God for the bread of this day,or that we should seek first the Kingdom ,and God knows our needs.If God provides like that ,Do you really think you can without God add numbers to your years,always have health ,a job ,food etc?

Jason,

Do you believe that statement?

Oz
No,you,are talking to man who has had daily battles with suicide for the past few months .

My,dreams can be intense .I,still,have those ,a few months ago they were horrible ,its still,vivid but I haven't had the days of depression and pondering the vanity of living.

If i doubted God gave me purpose,or had the ability to give me meaning ,I,would have probably ended it a long time ago ,I have felt a hole ,loss since 2017.in,part because I based my purpose on the military ,and identity in my jobs,this has been shattered.

Lest I derail this into what is purpose of being,made ,and how serving in the guard and the idea of that is meaning ful and or how crazy ,whacky ,disorderly civilian life is .and yes .its great to go out to find a vet in the same manner as me,or those who needs things and help them.I have stories of it .teaming up and cutting downed trees,harping rooves,getting food to them ,etc.

Reactions: JLB
I wasn't expecting to go there about my,ptsd battle but .there's always a reason God allows evil or hardship .in my case I did a lot to myself .

Back