Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Some Won't Get Saved

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
God the Father and God the Son are not at odds with each other over any issue, so this statement does not apply.

I never said God the Father and God the Son are at odds.

Why say such a thing?

Here are the words of Jesus Christ Himself.

• Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;

I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. John 15:1-2

JLB

Context is always key and this contex is one of people being judged and the consequences are given in this verse.

As you are aware there are verse that talk of those God forknew he also predestined in love etc etc etc.

This argument goes round in circles, for me it boils down to what glorifies God more. Him in control or man in control of salvation.
I don't, and I don't think anyone here, thinks man is in control of salvation. If not for God no one would have salvation. That clearly shows where the control is. Man having a part in it isn't control . It's simply allowing man to decide if he wants to participate.

Have you read his letters? If you think his Institutes is horrifying wait till you see his letters.
Hi Butch
Been too busy...
How do I read Calvin's letters?
The Net?
The book may not be avx to me here.

Do I want to be That horrified?
:shame

I have read Calvin's Commentary on Habakkuk which I liked

I made it through INSTITUTES once - I will not re-read it - too nauseating...

I am having trouble with my laptop - last week I watched some Sproul videos just fine - today I cant hear it

between my laptop speakers and my hearing aids - something has gone south
LOL
It's the spirit of Sproul..

Hi Butch
Been too busy...
How do I read Calvin's letters?
The Net?
The book may not be avx to me here.

Do I want to be That horrified?
:shame
If you type Calvin's letters into Google it will come up. I haven't read all of them. I was turned off by his statements about Servetus. Servetus criticized Calvin's writings and Calvin said if Servetus ever came to Geneva he wouldn't leave alive. Servetus did go to Geneva and he didn't leave alive. Image that from a Christian leader. I find it extremely hard to believe that this was a real man of God. I'm not a big reader so I don't read people who have demonstrably wrong doctrines.

Reactions: JLB
Context is always key and this contex is one of people being judged and the consequences are given in this verse.

As you are aware there are verse that talk of those God forknew he also predestined in love etc etc etc.

This argument goes round in circles, for me it boils down to what glorifies God more. Him in control or man in control of salvation.
Who told you anyone believes we are IN CONTROL of our salvation?

GOD is in control.
HE sets the conditions.

If you type Calvin's letters into Google it will come up. I haven't read all of them. I was turned off by his statements about Servetus. Servetus criticized Calvin's writings and Calvin said if Servetus ever came to Geneva he wouldn't leave alive. Servetus did go to Geneva and he didn't leave alive. Image that from a Christian leader. I find it extremely hard to believe that this was a real man of God. I'm not a big reader so I don't read people who have demonstrably wrong doctrines.
I know about Servetus.
S disagreed with C about a particular doctrine that doesn't come to mind right now. Adam's sin imputed to man??

Thus he either actually helped to get him burned at the stake, or was happy that he was. There is some conflicting info.

In either case, his attitude toward another human is not a Christian attitude. I agree with you that the Holy Spirit was very far from him.

I know about Servetus.
S disagreed with C about a particular doctrine that doesn't come to mind right now. Adam's sin imputed to man??

Thus he either actually helped to get him burned at the stake, or was happy that he was. There is some conflicting info.

In either case, his attitude toward another human is not a Christian attitude. I agree with you that the Holy Spirit was very far from him.
I think it's safe to say that Calvin had enough authority in Geneva to stop the death of Servetus if he chose to.

Just did this.
He sure did write a lot!
I agree with you...too much to read and what for.
His incorrect doctrines are enough for me...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back