Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The False vs True Gift Of Tongues

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Dear Heavenly Father , I pray that you would send practical knowledge of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance to our forum members Carry_Your_Name and Corinth77777 . They are seeking to understand and those of us in this thread are trying our best to help them understand but we need your help Lord .
In Jesus name we pray , Amen .
Why not pray off line. That says you believe you have it right. Well those who may pray for you off line may believe you have it wrong.

Your prayers should be done in secret. That just shows your motive to be wrong.

You have not tried to show me anything in this thread according to scripture nor context so that is a blantant, flat out untruth.

Nor have you responded by context with scripture. All that has been shown here is what has been taken out of context.

And as A moderator, you should know better.
It really just says I know the truth but still want to do what I want to do.

Last edited:
Dear Heavenly Father , I pray that you would send practical knowledge of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance to our forum members Carry_Your_Name and Corinth77777 . They are seeking to understand and those of us in this thread are trying our best to help them understand but we need your help Lord .
You should pray for some wisdom to help us understand the hard times we're living in and some courage to face real issues. The Hole Spirit convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgement (Jn. 16:8-11), and that's what a real utterance from the Holy Spirit is supposed to do. If your pastor is publicly condoning homosexuality or selling prosperity gospel, and you're still obsessing about speaking in "tongues" instead of speaking about these problems, you'd be doing a disservice to the Lord. It's really frustrating, you know, it's like you guys are worshiping this "tongues" as an idol, you can't move past it and see the big picture, that the giving of the Holy Spirit on that Pentecost is a significant milestone on God's prophetic timeline. In fact, the same event took place in Num. 11:24-25, the Holy Spirit fell upon 70 elders, and the number 70 symbolizes all 70 nations on earth. Acts 2 is a reprise of that, this time with all 70 nations for real. But none of you gets it because you've been distracted, you've been caught up in word game and thought policing.

So Moses went out and told the people the words of the Lord, and he gathered the seventy men of the elders of the people and placed them around the tabernacle. Then the Lord came down in the cloud, and spoke to him, and took of the Spirit that was upon him, and placed the same upon the seventy elders; and it happened, when the Spirit rested upon them, that they prophesied, although they never did so again.

Why not pray off line.
I pray off line and online we are to pray without ceasing .
That says you believe you have it right.
Yes it does , doesn't that make sense as I am trying to pass on understanding to you and I would want it to be the truth .
Well those who may pray for you off line may believe you have it wrong.
And I welcome all prayers said on my behalf by the saints of God . I need them .
Your prayers should be done in secret. That just shows your motive to be wrong.
God will judge my motives , you can be sure of that .

You should pray for some wisdom to help us understand the hard times we're living in and some courage to face real issues.
Amen ! I agree , and God hears your petition .
The Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgement (Jn. 16:8-11), and that's what a real utterance from the Holy Spirit is supposed to do.
Amen !
If your pastor is publicly condoning homosexuality or selling prosperity gospel, and you're still obsessing about speaking in "tongues" instead of speaking about these problems, you'd be doing a disservice to the Lord.
True ! Glad that is not my pastor :eek .
It's really frustrating, you know, it's like you guys are worshiping this "tongues" as an idol, you can't move past it and see the big picture, that the giving of the Holy Spirit on that Pentecost is a significant milestone on God's prophetic timeline.
Sorry for the frustration that is not my intent at all . The gift of tongues is not the only gift I have been blessed with but I do not worship any of the gifts , I do worship the One Who sent the gifts :) .

This thread is about false vs true but you can start a "big picture" thead if you would like to .

What is the practical knowledge of Holy Spirit?

Believers are indwelt by Him. Unless you believe because we do not speak in tongues we do not have Holy Spirit?

What is the point of speaking in tongues?

What is the practical knowledge of Holy Spirit?
As a Christian you have that but you will not have practical knowledge of speaking in tongues without the Gift of Speaking in tongues .
Believers are indwelt by Him.
True .
Unless you believe because we do not speak in tongues we do not have Holy Spirit?
No, not me .
What is the point of speaking in tongues?
As Jr. said " God's Plan " .

As a Christian you have that but you will not have practical knowledge of speaking in tongues without the Gift of Speaking in tongues .

True .

No, not me .

As Jr. said " God's Plan " .
Why does a Christian need to speak in tongues? What is the benefit?

What is Gods plan?

Why does a Christian need to speak in tongues?
God thought I could use the Gift of Tongues so I would say I needed it . You on the other hand do not have the Gift of tongues so therefore you must not need it yet , it could be you are a stronger vessel than I am . My weaknesses maybe the reason I have the gift .
What is the benefit?
Many . When we pray in tongues we pray mysteries ,that is things that we would otherwise not know to pray for but we have need of . Speaking in tongues is an empowerment through the Holy Spirit to use to the glory of God .
What is Gods plan?
You and I are part of "them that believe" so here is the plan .
Mark 16
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

God thought I could use the Gift of Tongues so I would say I needed it . You on the other hand do not have the Gift of tongues so therefore you must not need it yet , it could be you are a stronger vessel than I am . My weaknesses maybe the reason I have the gift .

Many . When we pray in tongues we pray mysteries ,that is things that we would otherwise not know to pray for but we have need of . Speaking in tongues is an empowerment through the Holy Spirit to use to the glory of God .

You and I are part of "them that believe" so here is the plan .
Mark 16
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

While I do not agree tongues (real language) are in use today. I respect your opnion and honesty.

I would definitely not say I am a stronger vessel, I am only strong when I am weak.

While I do not agree tongues (real language) are in use today. I respect your opnion and honesty.
Oh yeah I know we don't agree but we can still discuss what we think :) about the matter .
I would definitely not say I am a stronger vessel, I am only strong when I am weak.
Knowing we are weak in and of ourselves and that we need God's love makes us stronger to carry on .

Sorry for the frustration that is not my intent at all . The gift of tongues is not the only gift I have been blessed with but I do not worship any of the gifts , I do worship the One Who sent the gifts :) .

This thread is about false vs true but you can start a "big picture" thead if you would like to .
Unfortunately, unintelligent babbling is surely not such a gift. If you’ve just been fed with some weird message and you feel compelled to utter it in public without knowing what you’re talking about, that’s most likely deception from the devil. Just because it fits the definition of “a language unknown to the speaker” doesn’t validate it as an utterance from the Holy Spirit, that’s where the OP’s topic fits in. And please note that this goes beyond the Acts 2 account, it goes beyond any biblical account, we’re talking about tongues in modern churches and its validity. Blindly imposing the understanding of tongues in Acts 2 on every other instances is baseless and presumptuous, it doesn’t hold water.

Unfortunately, unintelligent babbling is surely not such a gift. If you’ve just been fed with some weird message and you feel compelled to utter it in public without knowing what you’re talking about, that’s most likely deception from the devil. Just because it fits the definition of “a language unknown to the speaker” doesn’t validate it as an utterance from the Holy Spirit, that’s where the OP’s topic fits in.
This is exactly why I prayed the prayer for you . I have the gift of tongues and I have a practical knowledge of how the gift operates when the Holy Spirit gives the utterance . The Holy Spirit takes control of the mechanism of speech , I am not thinking the words before I say them , the Holy Spirit is .
And please note that this goes beyond the Acts 2 account, it goes beyond any biblical account, we’re talking about tongues in modern churches and its validity.
I have seen the gift of tongues in operation in church with the gift of interpretation of tongues following just as told to us in the bible .
Blindly imposing the understanding of tongues in Acts 2 on every other instances is baseless and presumptuous, it doesn’t hold water.
What understanding of the gift of tongues do you get from Acts chapter 2 ?

This is exactly why I prayed the prayer for you . I have the gift of tongues and I have a practical knowledge of how the gift operates when the Holy Spirit gives the utterance . The Holy Spirit takes control of the mechanism of speech , I am not thinking the words before I say them , the Holy Spirit is .
That's such a pious way of saying that you're carried away by emotions, that words just flow out of your mouth without being processed in the brain, and later on you don't even have any recollection of what you've just said. Trust me, man, I've been there, and I wouldn't call that a gift of tongues. Didn't Paul warn about such wanton speech? That we should watch our mouths?
I have seen the gift of tongues in operation in church with the gift of interpretation of tongues following just as told to us in the bible .
You know that the bible was originally written in ancient Hebrew and Greek, right? The English bible in your hand itself is a gift of interpretation, so just count your blessing and be content.
What understanding of the gift of tongues do you get from Acts chapter 2 ?
Simultaneous interpretation, a necessity in any international conference. If you've been attended one, you'd usually marvel at the original speaker and their message, not the interpreter or the headphone you're wearing. And this is why I'm frustrated. I tried to direct your focus onto the original speaker and their message, but you guys are obsessed with the interpreter and the headphone.

That's such a pious way of saying that you're carried away by emotions, that words just flow out of your mouth without being processed in the brain, and later on you don't even have any recollection of what you've just said.
Emotions ? No , not at all it is a conversation powered by the Holy Spirit and yes the words flow without thought by me of the words that are said by the Holy Spirit until you hear them come out of your mouth .
Trust me, man, I've been there, and I wouldn't call that a gift of tongues. Didn't Paul warn about such wanton speech? That we should watch our mouths?
How much do you trust me ?
You know that the bible was originally written in ancient Hebrew and Greek, right?
And you read Hebrew right to left .
The English bible in your hand itself is a gift of interpretation, so just count your blessing and be content.
Everyday .
Simultaneous interpretation, a necessity in any international conference. If you've been attended one, you'd usually marvel at the original speaker and their message, not the interpreter or the headphone you're wearing. And this is why I'm frustrated. I tried to direct your focus onto the original speaker and their message, but you guys are obsessed with the interpreter and the headphone.
If I pray in tongues I am the original speaker and the message is a prayer to God . Sometimes it is a psalm as I sing my prayer in tongues . Sorry for your frustration , but I will keep trying if you want to .

If I pray in tongues I am the original speaker and the message is a prayer to God . Sometimes it is a psalm as I sing my prayer in tongues . Sorry for your frustration , but I will keep trying if you want to .
I’m not challenging your own experience, man. We’re discussing the validity of tongues when we hear it from others.
Emotions ? No , not at all it is a conversation powered by the Holy Spirit and yes the words flow without thought by me of the words that are said by the Holy Spirit until you hear them come out of your mouth .
And how do you know it’s really powered by the Holy Spirit or just an emotional outburst? Like an angry rant or desperate plea?

And how do you know it’s really powered by the Holy Spirit or just an emotional outburst? Like an angry rant or desperate plea?
I was given the gift of tongues right when I was born again , I prayed on my knees for salvation and as I stood up the Holy Spirit wanted to give the utterance but I was so shocked by the way it felt I did not let the Holy Spirit speak , not much later I did speak in tongues . You keep saying emotional but it is not that way when I speak in tongues , it is smooth and easy and sometimes there is an urgency or a sadness as the Holy Spirt speaks my prayer .

I was given the gift of tongues right when I was born again , I prayed on my knees for salvation and as I stood up the Holy Spirit wanted to give the utterance but I was so shocked by the way it felt I did not let the Holy Spirit speak , not much later I did speak in tongues . You keep saying emotional but it is not that way when I speak in tongues , it is smooth and easy and sometimes there is an urgency or a sadness as the Holy Spirt speaks my prayer .
Yes, emotional, that’s a sign of genuine expression, that you’re really pouring out what the Holy Spirit put on your mind, instead of a carefully scripted, practiced speech or a formulaic, repetitive chant. In that moment,You bare your soul and put yourself in a vulnerable position. I’m not arguing, just describing it from another perspective.

Yes, emotional, that’s a sign of genuine expression, that you’re really pouring out what the Holy Spirit put on your mind, instead of a carefully scripted, practiced speech or a formulaic, repetitive chant.
If a person is giving out a message from the Holy Spirit in tongues in a church setting it will be at a loud volume almost a shout but it will be very clear at each word , yes more emotion than with my prayer in tongues that is just between me and God .

If a person is giving out a message from the Holy Spirit in tongues in a church setting it will be at a loud volume almost a shout but it will be very clear at each word , yes more emotion than with my prayer in tongues that is just between me and God .
OK, good for you, but keep in mind that Paul wrote about keeping church gathering and worship session in order, if you have something to say, say it in an orderly fashion, wait for your turn, don't interrupt others when you don't have the floor and the microphone.

hawkman

Romans 8:26

26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession [ a]for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Now from this scripture- how do you compensate what is practiced as "prayer language of Angels"

when what is practiced at home is uttered

Wouldn't that imply that it's not of the Holy Spirit but is of you?

And when Paul speaks of prayer is it not in the church.

And where does scripture say go home and practice ecstatic tongue...please share?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back