Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The Five Points of Calvinism

And James is absolutely right. But if He is talking salvation to eternal life. He is contradicting Christ and Paul.

“Whosoever believes in me will not perish, but have everlasting life.” Jn 3:15

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him will not perish, but have everlasting life.” Jn 3:16

“He that believes on him is not condemned, but he that believes not is condemned already, because he has notbelieved in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” Jn 3:18

“He that believes the Son has everlasting life, and he that believes not the Son, shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” Jn 3:36

“And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one that which sees the Son, and believes on him, will have everlasting life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”Jn 6:40

“Truly I say unto you, he that believes on me, has everlasting life.” Jn 6:47

.Eph 2:9~~New American Standard Bible
not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Titus 3:5~~New American Standard Bible
He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

Have you ever considered that what Jesus said what "believe" meant and what "believe" has come to mean today, may be different?

Believe in the original, carries the meaning of commit, trust, as well as obey.

In other words unbelief is in fact disobedience.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some should enter there into, and they to whom the good tidings were before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience, Hebrews 4:6 ASV

6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,
Hebrews 4:6 NKJV

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein *, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
Hebrews 4:6 KJV

Unbelief means disobedience.

Jesus said: Why do you call me Lord, and not do what I say? Luke 6:46

We must confess Jesus as Lord, and believe in our heart God raised Him from the dead.

Lord means Master.

If you don't do what He says, then you do not really believe he is your Lord.

as it is written -

Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? Romans 6:16

If you obey Jesus, then He is your Lord.

If you obey Satan, then Satan is your Lord.

In other words: What you say means NOTHING!

It's what you do that tells the Lord if you believe Him or not.

Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; Matthew 25:41-42

Depart from Me, you cursed, because I was hungry and you gave Me no food...

JLB

Do you believe it is possible for someone to choose to depart from Christ and turn to another religion, such as Islam while facing torture or death?
Yes. And when you get to heaven you are going to see him and say." What the hell are you doing here and where is my sweet,moral,nice, church buddy John?" And He will tell you," John never believed in Christ alone for His salvation."

Have you ever considered that what Jesus said what "believe" meant and what "believe" has come to mean today, may be different?

Yes. In fact you and I have went over that quite a few times before. As well as with Jethro. Can you back up your claim that the original language "carries" those meanings? I will give you 'trust' in your list of meanings.
Lets use your definition though.

Are you committed?~~
1 Thessalonians 5:24
“The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.”

Do you trust Him?~~
Philippians 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion “until the day of Christ Jesus.”

Do you obey Him?~~
1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Paul says those who continue to believe...steadfast to the end

12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;
but exhort one another daily, while it is called "Today," lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, Hebrews 3:12-14

Jesus says those who endure to the end will be saved. Matthew 24:13

Peter says the end of your faith is the salvation of your soul. 1 Peter 1:9

... an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;

Do you believe it is possible for someone to choose to depart from Christ and turn to another religion, such as Islam while facing torture or death?

JLB
New American Standard Bible
Rom 4:5~~But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,

James 2:14~~New American Standard Bible
What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?

If James is talking about eternal life or salvation. How do you reconcile Rom 4:5 with him.

And one thing that often gets overlooked with James is WHO he is writing to.
James 1:1~~New American Standard Bible
James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings.

He had a very Jewish audience And James was a early book. And these Jewish Christians had recently found out that the poor dogs(Gentiles) are coming along for the ride.
Correct! As well, he was writing to believers in Jesus Christ. Saved people. He wasn't trying to tell people how to be or stay saved, but how to demonstrate their faith.

You make a very good point, JLB. The problem is that the word has changed over time to mean more than it originally did. Now, because of Lordship salvationists, it has come to mean more than believing. But the Greek word never meant more than trust, believe. That's who God saves. Those who trust in Jesus for eternal life.

Once that happens, only then is the issue of obedience in play. God's children are supposed to be obedient. And He rewards those who are, and disciplines those who aren't.

Some try to minimize the idea of God's discipline to be nothing more than a spanking. However, Paul told the Corinthian congregation that the incestuous man was being turned over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh. That doesn't sound like any picnic to me. Also, remember what Jesus told Peter; that Satan had asked to "sift" him like wheat. Does that sound like any picnic to you?

Part right, and part very wrong. It does mean to trust. As far as "commit", we have twisted that meaning around, unfortunately. Today we commit to a cause. That's works. In the Biblical sense, we are commiting our souls to Jesus for salvation. That's the proper meaning of "commit" in reference to salvation.

If you want to find the Greek word for "obey", look no farther than "pietho". We find the negative of that word in Jn 3:36.

In other words unbelief is in fact disobedience.
Sure. All sin is an act of disobedience. But we are saved by grace through faith. Not obedience.

Wrong. Unbelief is disobedience. Very different.

If you obey Satan, then Satan is your Lord.
Pretty much what Paul wrote in Rom 6:16.

In other words: What you say means NOTHING!
Correct. It's what you believe that counts. Not say or do.

Wrong. It's what you believe, and the Lord knows the heart (Acts 15:8).

Hebrews 4:6 KJV
Let's assume for a moment you are right and that in all cases "unbelief" means "disobedience". Okay, so what, relative to point 5 of this thread (Perseverance)??? Does that somehow also mean that in all cases “unbelief/disobedience”=un-saved, Yes/No? I say no. Here’s why:
Umm, think about it and if you say yes then get back with me with some sort of Scriptural proof for you case similar to the case/evidence you made above for unbelief = disobedience in Heb 4:6, which I agree with, BTW. Do you have a verse that translators sometimes translate unbelief and/or disobedience as unsaved?
But for the case as to why there is no verse/translation such as that, let's look at the who and what Hebrews is talking about in Heb 4:6 and see if “unbelief” and/or “disobedience” = unsaved there. (there, or anywhere else in the Bible if one so desired to investigate it):
1. First and most obviously why unbelief/disobedience does not mean unsaved is the fact that Hebrews is talking about Moses being disobedient/unbelieving there too! Thus, logically speaking, you’d have to think Moses is/was unsaved in the desert for you to claim unbelief = unsaved. Which can easily be proven wrong.
2. Second, to set the context it is necessary to first understand who it is that Heb 4:6 is addressing and why the author is even making his point in 4:6:
The Superiority of Jesus to Moses
Heb 3:1 (LEB) Therefore, holy brothers, sharers in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession, 2 who was faithful to the one who appointed him, as Moses also was in his household. … Moses was faithful in all his house as a servant, for a testimony to the things that would be spoken, 6 but Christ was faithful as a son over his house, whose house we are
My point here is that he’s talking to Holy brothers/sharers (Jews sharing the New Covenant) and establishing a perfectly coherent (though long) argument that Jesus’s New Covenant is superior to Moses’ Old Covenant in every way (as a Priestly system, sacrificial system, Covenantal system etc. [Yes I know I stopped short of “if we hold fast to our confidence and the hope we can be proud of.”] But that’s beside the point at the moment. My point is that He’s talking to Holy Brothers whose house we are (Christ’s house, not Moses’ house) if we hold fast to our confidence in Christ and not fall back to Moses’ house… Anyway, we both agree that Hebrews is written to brothers in Christ, is the point, right. Yet there were some there, even among them, that still had an evil, unbelieving heart. (v12)
3. Third, the reason Chapter 3 is there and starts out with Therefore… (just as Chapter 4 and Chapter 2 does) is to support the author’s claim that he laid out in Heb 1:1. That is that God’s full, final and better revelation is in The Son, not Moses. That is Jesus Christ is a better Priest and sustainer of salvation and purifier of sins than any of the OT prophets, priest or sacrifices ever were. Including Moses the man and all his writings, laws, covenants, scarifies, laws, etc. Which BTW, Moses wrote about Jesus anyway.
4. Forth, Chapter 4’s point is “let us fear while there remains a promise of entering into His rest”. In other words, even though you Christian, Holy brother who’s house we arehave an even better promise than Moses had (namely Christ’s promise to you), fear God even while you wait on that promise (an irrevocable promise, BTW). Don’t even appear to fall short of it, since we all know these works have been accomplished from the foundation of the world. [How anyone could believe this author isn’t OSAS is beyond me to understand, given what he just got through exampling in 4:1-3 and elsewhere such as 4:14-16 and 6:19-20.]

Anyway, prove unbelief and/or disobedience means unsaved here in Hebrews, please, if you can. If you can, you'll have made a valid anti-OSAS (Anti-P) point. But remember, Moses and David were both the very clear examples given by the author within this very context of disobedience/unbelief while you are at it!

Does one say to the LORD, 'See what I have done?'

On the contrary, what we do [our work] demonstrates to other people if we believe in the LORD (Mat 7:16-17, Gal 5:22-24, Tit 1:16).

The LORD knows our hearts, whether we believe or not; and we know as well because He testifies to us (Rom 8:16, Heb 4:13, Isa 29:13), same as FreeGrace pointed out (Acts 15:8).

On the contrary, what we do [our work] demonstrates to other people if we believe in the LORD (Mat 7:16-17, Gal 5:22-24, Tit 1:16).

The LORD knows our hearts, whether we believe or not; and we know as well because He testifies to us (Rom 8:16, Heb 4:13, Isa 29:13), same as FreeGrace pointed out (Acts 15:8).
Hi Gregg. Your post demonstrates that you believe. Nice 'work' brother!

Correct! As well, he was writing to believers in Jesus Christ. Saved people. He wasn't trying to tell people how to be or stay saved, but how to demonstrate their faith.
And if we can study the book of James with that in mind, we can grow in His grace and knowledge. 2 other things that religion has distorted in James and are very hard for us to get by are:

James 2:14~~New American Standard Bible
What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?

1. When it comes to eternal life and salvation, our faith does not save us. The object(Christ) of our faith does the saving. But after salvation our faith(doctrine) has everything to do with saving us from life's problems and difficult choices.Rejecting bible doctrine and having a stagnant faith after salvation will not save us or give us solutions to our problems or give us understanding of what the Lord wants us to do. James gives us a picture of this:

James 1:23-25~~23For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; 24for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. 25But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.

James 2:19~~New American Standard Bible
You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.

2. The Jews believe in one God. Are they saved? No, they do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. There are lots of people who believe in a god or God. But do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and what He did on the Cross for them. And salvation is never mentioned in scripture to be for the angels or demons.

If we can keep these things in mind when studying James, we have a chance at seeing what James is trying to tell us. If we keep going into James as a salvation epistle, we will see nothing that He really wants to tell us.

Your guess is better then mine. But I guess we miss 98-99% of what the bible has to say to us if we make it all about salvation.

Last edited:
I would have to double check this. But I am pretty sure this definition comes from :
26th ed. Nestles, Allen Text, American Bible Society; New York
Gramcord Institute, 2218 NE Brookview Dr,; Vancouver WA 98686

pistis 4102 fem ---- acc s noun--- faith 10

Pi,stij, pistis: a fem. sing. noun, used for faith and as a synonym for Bible doctrine, used 244X.

Gregg and FreeGrace can help me out? They are way more advanced in doctrine than I.

I am probably more cynical then those guys. Is this just a distraction? Do you believe that we can lose salvation? And James is talking salvation for eternal life in those verses?

Faith = Doctrine? That's new to me.
And WIP, I was just in Duluth moving my brother in law back to Montana. Missoula is like summer, compared that deep freeze! 56 when I went through Billings MT and -13 when I arrived in Duluth! No worries falling through your MN ice!

17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
James 2:17-18,20-21

The works is the effort that obedience requires; the "doing" [obeying] of what God says.

God is the one who requires the obedience, not "other people".

There was no other people that Abraham needed to demonstrate his faith for.

And He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me." Genesis 22:12

Your "theory" just doesn't hold water.

JLB

17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
James 2:17-18,20-21

Was Isaac before or after God had Justified Abraham through belief?
Gen 15:6~~New American Standard Bible
Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.

If you look close at the text, this is not when Abraham believed and It was counted as righteousness to him. It was 25 years ago and God is just reminding Abraham of that time. In Gen 12:4 we see Abram leaving Haran ,already with all the promises of God. And that is not all of it. Abraham believed and was Justified BEFORE Gen 12:4. Stephen shows us this. Abraham was justified in Ur even before He went to Haran.
Acts 7:2~~New American Standard Bible
And he said, "Hear me, brethren and fathers! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran,
Abraham was justified by faith way back in Gen 11:29-30.

There was no other people that Abraham needed to demonstrate his faith for.
Isaac was in a coma, or not really there?

Was Isaac before or after God had Justified Abraham through belief?
Gen 15:6~~New American Standard Bible
Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.

If you look close at the text, this is not when Abraham believed and It was counted as righteousness to him. It was 25 years ago and God is just reminding Abraham of that time. In Gen 12:4 we see Abram leaving Haran ,already with all the promises of God. And that is not all of it. Abraham believed and was Justified BEFORE Gen 12:4. Stephen shows us this. Abraham was justified in Ur even before He went to Haran.
Acts 7:2~~New American Standard Bible
And he said, "Hear me, brethren and fathers! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran,
Abraham was justified by faith way back in Gen 11:29-30.

Isaac was in a coma, or not really there?

Here is the scripture again, that puts it to rest, the "theory" about faith being for others, as it was God that gave the command that required obedience and it was God Himself that required the obedience.

And He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me." Genesis 22:12

James 2:21

Abraham lived a life of walking with God and obeying His Voice.

You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. James 2:24

JLB

Abraham lived a life of walking with God and obeying His Voice.
I see that. You see that. James saw that. We all see that. Since it is written for us to "see that". Nobody is disagreeing with that.
However the P point (point 5) is that Abraham was already long since considered righteous by God, way before his test (of fear) with Isaac. Some of us see that, some of us don't.
God had already made promises and changed his name to Abraham way before he was ready to pass his test of fear.
Hebrews 11:17 (LEB)
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered Isaac, and the one who received the promiseswas ready to offer his one and only son,
Notice:
1. God tested Abraham when he was ready to be tested (not before he was ready).
Genesis 22:1 (LEB) And it happened that after these things, God tested Abraham…​
2. God tested the previously declared righteous man Abraham for “fear”, not for his righteousness. God had already declared him righteous is the point.
Genesis 22:12 (LEB)… now I know that you are one who fears God, …​
3. Abraham is the one who received the promises prior to his test for fear. Think about it. God had promised Abraham that Isaac would be his heir (Gen 15:4) before chapter 22’s test of fear. Do you think God knew Abraham would stop the knife thrust he was about to thrust into Isaac or not? I say yes, and Hebrews says yes (Heb 6:13-14). Else God’s promise to Abraham to greatly multiple him would have failed to come true. In fact all God’s promises come true (2 Cor 1:20).
4. God has promised to Christians two unchangeable promises (even more that Abraham's) (Heb 6:18-20):
1) It is impossible for God to lie and He has told us we ALL have eternal life, John 6:40.
2) We have Jesus (who is already our forerunner) as our anchor of our soul. An anchor that is both steadfast and firmly planted inside the curtain already serving as our High Priest forever.

Heb 6:17-20 (LEB)
17 In the same way [Same as with Abraham's promise] God, because he wanted to show even more to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of his resolve, guaranteed it with an oath, in order that through two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge may have powerful encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us, which we have like an anchor of the soul, both firm and steadfast, and entering into the inside of the curtain, where Jesus, the forerunner for us, entered, because he became a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

And WIP, I was just in Duluth moving my brother in law back to Montana. Missoula is like summer, compared that deep freeze! 56 when I went through Billings MT and -13 when I arrived in Duluth! No worries falling through your MN ice!
Actually, we had a guy and his grandson go through a local lake here two days ago with a side-by-side UTV. The guy died but the kid is still hanging on. I emailed the news reporter asking how the machine went through 3+ feet of ice and they had no explanation yet. One possibility is the lake is spring fed and if it was shallow enough in the area, the warmer current could have kept the ice a little thinner in that area.

Back