Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The gift of the Word of knowledge.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hi everyone,

This is an interesting discussion.

Some verses came to my mind as I was reading through the thread...

John 16:12-15
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

When Jesus promised the Holy Spirit would come, it was not just for the disciples, but for all believers, but this passage is to those holy men who wrote the New Testament. The part about showing them things to come was the New Testament Revelation given through them by the Holy Spirit for all our sakes. I believe the guidance of the Holy Spirit is for all, but not new revelation, rather for guidance in to Truth. Mutz mentioned Romans 2...the Law written on our hearts...this to is for guidance into the Truth, but more for the individual as he, or she, responds to matters of their own faith...this is a gift, but not specific to spiritual gifts. The gifts are for the benefit of the body as it serves God's will. The word of Knowledge is obviously a speaking gift...the gifts are either speaking or serving...and it is given according to grace, and in proportion to our faith. So even the same gift is different in measure within believers.

Romans 12:6-21
6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. 9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; 11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; 13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. 14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. 16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend F52 to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. 17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 Corinthians 12:1-11
1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. 2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1 Peter 4:11 11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

I Peter says that if any speaks...I think this relates to all speaking gifts...let it be as the oracles of God. This seems to me that these people may not speak anything except that which God has revealed already in His oracles. Basically nothing that is not Truth, and this includes EXTRA Truth. God has revealed Himself through Christ. Consider Hebrews 1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

I think the gift of the word of wisdom is obviously a speaking gift for the edification of the body, and so is the word of knowledge. Both of these gifts can be spoken to a group, or to an individual, but I think they are very unique in the people who have been given them...unique to that person, and to the situations that that person will encounter.

Knowledge begins with the fear of the Lord, and so the true gift of the word of knowledge will never be contradictory to the oracles of God. To me, this gift is the ability to apply God's mysteries to specific situations...being led by the Holy Spirit. It could be known, or unknown, by the person who is speaking it. For example, someone may say to you, "Those things you spoke to me confirmed for me something the Holy Spirit has been dealing with me about." It can also be an addressing of someone's present sin...either in an individual or in a church...a perception of their need to hear Truth on certain matters, or maybe even just a speaking that is used by God to address such privately. I think it can also be a revealed knowing. For example...

About six months after my late husband died an older woman that I did not know very well called me one evening. Moments before she called I had stepped out on my porch exhausted and weeping. My children were all asleep, and I was sort of breaking down under the weight of all the responsibilities and work. I spoke aloud, "Lord, I am dropping balls everywhere here!" The phone rings and this woman says, "Tina, I was going to call someone else this evening, but I know the Holy Spirit wanted me to call you instead, what is wrong?" I didn't even question how she knew I was seriously breaking down, it seemed natural to tell her my struggles. We prayed for a good hour, and then she took me to the Word...the Truth, and led me through a process of application for my current struggles. I knew those Truths, but was failing to apply them to my situation, and God used someone else to remind me and to be led through an area of darkness in my life. This is the Word of Knowledge to me.

The Word of Knowledge is a supernatural gift because it only comes through grace, and is delivered only through the leading of the Holy Spirit as He uses someone else to help us be guided to the Truth in a certain moment. This is not NEW revelation, but it is a revealing through leading by Him. The Lord bless all of you.

Hi everyone,

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

When Jesus promised the Holy Spirit would come, it was not just for the disciples, but for all believers, but this passage is to those holy men who wrote the New Testament. The part about showing them things to come was the New Testament Revelation given through them by the Holy Spirit for all our sakes. I believe the guidance of the Holy Spirit is for all, but not new revelation, rather for guidance in to Truth. Mutz mentioned Romans 2...the Law written on our hearts...this to is for guidance into the Truth, but more for the individual as he, or she, responds to matters of their own faith...this is a gift, but not specific to spiritual gifts. The gifts are for the benefit of the body as it serves God's will. The word of Knowledge is obviously a speaking gift...the gifts are either speaking or serving...and it is given according to grace, and in proportion to our faith. So even the same gift is different in measure within believers.

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. 9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; 11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; 13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. 14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. 16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend F52 to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. 17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. 2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1 Peter 4:11 11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

I Peter says that if any speaks...I think this relates to all speaking gifts...let it be as the oracles of God. This seems to me that these people may not speak anything except that which God has revealed already in His oracles. Basically nothing that is not Truth, and this includes EXTRA Truth. God has revealed Himself through Christ. Consider Hebrews 1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

I think the gift of the word of wisdom is obviously a speaking gift for the edification of the body, and so is the word of knowledge. Both of these gifts can be spoken to a group, or to an individual, but I think they are very unique in the people who have been given them...unique to that person, and to the situations that that person will encounter.

Knowledge begins with the fear of the Lord, and so the true gift of the word of knowledge will never be contradictory to the oracles of God. To me, this gift is the ability to apply God's mysteries to specific situations...being led by the Holy Spirit. It could be known, or unknown, by the person who is speaking it. For example, someone may say to you, "Those things you spoke to me confirmed for me something the Holy Spirit has been dealing with me about." It can also be an addressing of someone's present sin...either in an individual or in a church...a perception of their need to hear Truth on certain matters, or maybe even just a speaking that is used by God to address such privately. I think it can also be a revealed knowing. For example...

About six months after my late husband died an older woman that I did not know very well called me one evening. Moments before she called I had stepped out on my porch exhausted and weeping. My children were all asleep, and I was sort of breaking down under the weight of all the responsibilities and work. I spoke aloud, "Lord, I am dropping balls everywhere here!" The phone rings and this woman says, "Tina, I was going to call someone else this evening, but I know the Holy Spirit wanted me to call you instead, what is wrong?" I didn't even question how she knew I was seriously breaking down, it seemed natural to tell her my struggles. We prayed for a good hour, and then she took me to the Word...the Truth, and led me through a process of application for my current struggles. I knew those Truths, but was failing to apply them to my situation, and God used someone else to remind me and to be led through an area of darkness in my life. This is the Word of Knowledge to me.

The Word of Knowledge is a supernatural gift because it only comes through grace, and is delivered only through the leading of the Holy Spirit as He uses someone else to help us be guided to the Truth in a certain moment. This is not NEW revelation, but it is a revealing through leading by Him. The Lord bless all of you.

lovely said:
Hi everyone,

Lovely
Good to hear from you again.... :) An excellent post and I agree with you 100%... I basically along with AV said the very same thing although we all used a little different approach.....I hope you don't mind by I high lighted some of you post...

Sometimes this gift of the word of knowledge is confused with a profound knowledge of the Bible. One minister told me that he had the word of knowledge because he hhad studied the Bible so much. While it is true that God helps us understand His Word, and we receive knowledge from studying it, that kind of knowledge is not a supernatural gift. The word of knowledge does work in connection with His Word which we don't know. But if that were all there were to it, we wouldn't have to study. Yet Paul told the young minister Timothy to study. In his letter to this young pastor of a New Testament church, Paul said, Study to shew thyself approved.... ( 2 Tim. 2:15). So this particular kind of knowledge comes by studying, but the word oof knowledge comes by supernatural revelation imparted by God.

Some in the body of Christ are always trying to limit God by believing the sacred cows of their personal and denominational beliefs. I don't mean to step on anyones toes, but you have to consider if you are believers in unbelief. I don't preach a half Gospel, but a full Gospel.

May God bless, Golfjack

Thankyou Lovely - beautifully put. I'm thrilled at the evidence of God's grace poured into your life by His spirit. And not only in what you have been through, but what is to come.

The Lord bless you

Gabbylittleangel said:
I will be praying for God to adjust all attitudes in this thread that need a bit of fine tuning.

Thanks little angel and don't forget to start with yourself....
how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

jgredline said:
Thanks little angel and don't forget to start with yourself....
how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

wow. :o

jgredline said:
Little Angel
My remark was completely uncalled for and I opologize and humbly ask for forgiveness...
javier

WHAT!?! After I just spent 20 minutes writing a response!? :x :-D ok. God says I gotta. You're forgiven. :wink:

Perhaps we should seek the Lord in regard to the gift that precedes the 'word of knowledge'.

The word of wisdom may be helpful on occasions like this :biggrin

Javier, thanks for your response to me...it's good to be back.

Mutz, your words were a blessing to me, thanks to you as well.

I just wanted to say that to you guys, because I was missing everyone while I was sick.

I pray that as a body we can really just understand God's measure of grace being different for all of us, and the way He truly has made the different parts of the body unique...in gift, in measure of grace and faith, and in execution of gifts. I believe this is how His hands serve, and His feet go and tell the Gospel. I think it is beautiful, and I love the church and all that it does within the various denominations as groups, and with the individuals who touch, and bless, one another daily. The nations are hearing the good news. The whole process is just amazing, and I praise God that He is so able to use it for His glory, and our provision. He is patient and loving toward us even in our misunderstanding, division, and criticism with each other. The greatest gift is love/charity...it does not fail because He is love.

1 Corinthians 13:1-10
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

The Lord bless all of you.

lovely said:
Javier, thanks for your response to me...it's good to be back.

Mutz, your words were a blessing to me, thanks to you as well.

I just wanted to say that to you guys, because I was missing everyone while I was sick.

I pray that as a body we can really just understand God's measure of grace being different for all of us, and the way He truly has made the different parts of the body unique...in gift, in measure of grace and faith, and in execution of gifts. I believe this is how His hands serve, and His feet go and tell the Gospel. I think it is beautiful, and I love the church and all that it does within the various denominations as groups, and with the individuals who touch, and bless, one another daily. The nations are hearing the good news. The whole process is just amazing, and I praise God that He is so able to use it for His glory, and our provision. He is patient and loving toward us even in our misunderstanding, division, and criticism with each other. The greatest gift is love/charity...it does not fail because He is love.

1 Corinthians 13:1-10
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

The Lord bless all of you.

Very Lovely :smt045

How is this gift manifested? I will give you guys 3 ways:

1. Through visions.

2. Through an inward revelation

3. If anyone disputes this, there are plenty of scriptures to back this up. For those who don't believe in revelations and visions, let me ask just one question. Don't you believe Christians are just aa saved today, as to when the early church started in the Book of Acts? Did John have a vision on the island of Patmos? Something to think about.

May God bless, Golfjack

Re: reply

golfjack said:
How is this gift manifested? 1. Through visions.
2. Through an inward revelation
3. If anyone disputes this, there are plenty of scriptures to back this up. Golfjack
1. False - God speaks through the written word - we are in the age of grace as the body of Christ - not Jewes in the OT, Gospels, Acts, or the tribulation. When one says he has visions of the Lord it is the height of pride.

2. Very mystical though - almost new age - well, it is new age.

3. Yes, you can go anywhere and misapply.

Sorry to sound to blunt but these teachings create confusion.

AVBunyan said:
... When one says he has visions of the Lord it is the height of pride....

What is it called when one goes around with a list of things claiming that God does not do them, when God does in fact do them?

golfjack said:
How is this gift manifested?

One of "my bad guys" once told me that I was very ambiguous. It seems that whenever I was speaking to someone else about things, that God was using the very conversation to speak to this person.

I keep hoping and praying that the manifestation of this word will bear fruit and that this man will come into the kingdom. (If he has not yet done so)

Gabbylittleangel said:
What is it called when one goes around with a list of things claiming that God does not do them, when God does in fact do them?
Why do you think God does them? The devil is a counterfeiter.

Back