Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The Sin Nature

You are correct.
If one refuses to tell lies, they are a real Christian.
If one refuses to steal, they are a real Christian.
If they do lie and steal, they are false Christians who still need to repent.
I agree.
But we still sin.
Those biggies get put away...
But there's other types of sin.

Sorry about the WE.
No prob'.
I had found a list of sins once.
It was pretty long.
Later
What is your definition of "repent"?
Mine is..."turn from" or "change".
I repented of sin, so, turned from sin.
2 Cor 7:10 says..."For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death."
Without repentance (from sin) there is no salvation.
And broken repentances are repentances repented of.
Of the world and working death.

You are correct.
If one refuses to tell lies, they are a real Christian.
If one refuses to steal, they are a real Christian.
If they do lie and steal, they are false Christians who still need to repent.
If one has the Spirit ( of truth) that Spirit leads to all truth.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

If one follows the one who is not a thief ands robber ( as all other were before Him) they don't let him ( the devil) who stole, steal any more. ( that spirit is not in them to steal)

John 10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

Ephesians 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

How can one repent of a choice to be done in the future?
Choice has to come down to belief, to believe in righteousness or unrighteousness. That is Christ dying and staying dead, or rising up again.

If we believe in righteousness, unrighteousness is past. ( unbelief, is what sin is)

If we never have believed in righteousness, we will do unrighteousness ( through unbelief in the rising of Jesus Christ/in us) which can be past, present and future.

Sin nature is what everybody has who never believed in righteousness. ( without sin. Hebrews 9:28.)

Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

1 John 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

Choice has to come down to belief, to believe in righteousness or unrighteousness.
Everyone “believes” in righteousness (right) and unrighteousness (wrong.) That’s no biggie. It’s not a matter of believing.
That is Christ dying and staying dead, or rising up again.
Those are not righteousness nor the opposite. That’s resurrection or not. Both start with r but still not the same.
If we believe in righteousness, unrighteousness is past. ( unbelief, is what sin is)
No, believing there’s such a thing as right doesn’t make wrong go away.
If we never have believed in righteousness, we will do unrighteousness ( through unbelief in the rising of Jesus Christ/in us) which can be past, present and future.
No, we do wrong or right whether we think they exist or not.
Sin nature is what everybody has who never believed in righteousness. ( without sin. Hebrews 9:28.)
No one is born with a sin nature. That’s not a biblical concept.
Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
“Yielding” is something you DO.
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
In that day they didn’t speak words lightly. A “confess” meant a change of life. Today it means stringing words together.
Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

1 John 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.
“He is righteous” which is an adjective describing his character. Notice “doing” in the second part.

If one has the Spirit ( of truth) that Spirit leads to all truth.
John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come
If one follows the one who is not a thief ands robber ( as all other were before Him) they don't let him ( the devil) who stole, steal any more. ( that spirit is not in them to steal)
John 10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
Ephesians 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
Yep.

Well, that's a work in progress. Right now I'm leaning towards sin being a man-made concept. There's no evidence that it exists, just as there's no evidence of a "sin nature".
What do you think it is when you break one of God's commandments?
Isn't that a sin?

What do the following verses mean to you?:

Romans 5:12
12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned—
Romans 7:18
18For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.

Romans 7:25b
25So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

A sinner is one who works ill/hurts others.

A Christian is one who loves others/love works no ill to your neighbour.

The Christian bears one another's burdens ( not adds to them) to so fulfil the law of Christ.

Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
The above sounds good to me.
Love covers a multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:8-10
8Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
9Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
10Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.

Sin is unbelief.

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
It IS a sin not to believe in God.
It is, in fact, the only unpardonable sin.
Matthew 12:31-32
31And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

But you state that unbelief is sin.
Is this the ONLY sin?

Some will tell you there is no such thing as a "sin nature." They say it's not found in Scripture and is made up to fit the agenda of a certain doctrine or doctrines. They will also tell you that in Rom. 6:2 where Paul said, "How shall we, who are dead to sin, live any longer therein," means that we who are saved are now sinless and we can keep the Commandments of Christ literally.

This is a total and complete misunderstanding of the Scripture! So let me show you what "dead to sin" really means and how we know there is a "sin nature."

In the original Greek, there is what's called a "definite article." This definite article which is stated as "the" turns the following word into a singular form noun. Let's look of an example of this in Scripture, where the definite article appears.

Rom. 5:21
"That as sin (the sin) hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord."

In the original Greek, Paul uses the definite article "the" in this verse. So what does Paul mean by this term "the sin?"

He is referring to "The Original Sin" in the Garden of Eden when man fell from the state of perfection to the fallen state of the "sin nature."

The verse actually reads,

"That as sin (the sin nature) hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord."

Paul is telling us that as the "sin nature" has reigned in every unbelieving man from the fall, through Christ, righteousness will reign in the nature of the believer.

Now let's continue to follow Paul as he begins Rom. chapter 6, and further explains "the sin nature."

Rom. 6:1-2
"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin (the sin nature), that grace may abound?

God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin (the sin nature), live any longer therein?

You can see here that Paul is not saying we are dead to sin, as in no longer sinning, but we are dead to the sin nature.

Then in Rom. 6:14, Paul points it out for us.

"For sin (the sin nature) shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace"

Paul is not saying we will stop sinning, but that the "sin nature" will not have dominion over us as it reigns over the unbelievers.
If we are dead to the sin nature then it no longer has any authority over our behaviour.

This would translate into us not sinning in the practical sense.

The question should be rather, how do you not know that sin/transgression, is how all fall, by not believing in Christ. ( until repented from that previous ignorance and evil heart of unbelief.)

Acts 1:25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

1 Timothy 1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

Hebrews 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
If we do not believe in Christ, we are living in our flesh and are slaves to the evil one.
But we are this way from birth....
We're born with the sinful nature...
Are you saying we're saved until we fall?
Honestly, I'm having a difficult time understanding you.

Sin is working ill to our neighbours, if we do not work ill we fulfil, loving another is fulfilling the law, how do you say sin and show that as loving your neighbour ?

Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
I THINK we agree...
not sure.

It means John believed, or whoever wrote that gospel, believed that Christ acting more as a shield against sin. That's my interpretation anyway.
We were discussing
1 John 2:1 , I had asked you what it meant to you. Sorry for the delay...
1My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
2He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

I understand that John (who most believe did write his letters) was saying that we should not sin,
but IF we DO sin, then we have an advocate with the Father.
Jesus is our redeemer, buying us back from satan, and Jesus is our atoning sacrifice.

So we should not sin, but if we do, Jesus will cover for us.

I understand a shield (your definition above) to be more in line with believing that Jesus will keep us from sinning. If this is what you mean, I'd have to disagree.

If we are dead to the sin nature then it no longer has any authority over our behaviour.

This would translate into us not sinning in the practical sense.

Paul said to "reckon" yourselves dead to the sin nature in Rom.6:11.

If you're take your eyes off Him, as we so often do, the sin nature will revive.

This is what Paul warned us of in Rom. chapter 7.

Rom. 7:9
"For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died."

When we try to live by any kind of laws, the sin nature will revive.

Back