Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does what Jesus says have to do with "God's oneness"? What, precisely, do you mean by "oneness"?

What does he mean by "before the world existed"? Who was Jesus with and whose glory did he share "before the world existed"?
Oneness Scriptures

Like any other subject, people have their own understanding, and there is an element of truth, to a greater or lesser degree in most faiths. Clearly, God is our heavenly Father, Saviour on earth, and His Spirit resides in the hearts of believers. One God in three realms, in heaven, on earth, and in the hearts of those who have accepted him as their Lord and Saviour. Lord and Saviour being titles, the same as Father, Son and Holy Spirit, are titles. However, we need to remember that God cannot be divided. That is why I would never use the words "is not" in relation to the Almighty. We are in the image and likeness of God, and I would never say I am three persons. It would be better to say I am one and leave it at that. Describe your friends as 'is nots' if you like, but it is not nice or appropriate, and I would feel insulted if people broke me down into three 'is nots'. Every part of me is important and integral to me, and it is the same for God. Be good, stay true to the Word of Scripture, and the Almighty.

Last edited:
Oneness Scriptures
Why are you so unwilling to address the plain and simple verses I have given? They do away with Unitarianism and any form of Modalism, which is the problem for your Oneness position. But to see that problem and ignore it, and so leave those verses unaddressed, is being dishonest. If your view of God can’t take into account all the Bible reveals about him then your view needs to change.

All the verse I gave do easily fit into Trinitarianism though, which is why it is the biblical view, and why it has stood the test of time.

However, we need to remember that God cannot be divided. That is why I would never use the words "is not" in relation to the Almighty.
It doesn’t divide God. He is indivisible.

We are in the image and likeness of God, and I would never say I am three persons. It would be better to say I am one and leave it at that.
Of course, because you’re human, not God. We are to understand God as he has revealed himself in the Bible, and he has revealed that he is three co-eternal, coequal, consubstantial persons.

Describe your friends as 'is nots' if you like, but it is not nice or appropriate, and I would feel insulted if people broke me down into three 'is nots'.
Again, you’re human, not God. You are one being and one person; God is one being and three persons. The “is nots” are absolutely necessary to maintain the timeless distinctions between the three persons.

Every part of me is important and integral to me, and it is the same for God.
Exactly, which is why we need to maintain the timeless distinction of the three persons.

Be good, stay true to the Word of Scripture, and the Almighty.
Always.

Why are you so unwilling to address the plain and simple verses I have given? They do away with Unitarianism and any form of Modalism, which is the problem for your Oneness position. But to see that problem and ignore it, and so leave those verses unaddressed, is being dishonest. If your view of God can’t take into account all the Bible reveals about him then your view needs to change.

All the verse I gave do easily fit into Trinitarianism though, which is why it is the biblical view, and why it has stood the test of time.

It doesn’t divide God. He is indivisible.

Of course, because you’re human, not God. We are to understand God as he has revealed himself in the Bible, and he has revealed that he is three co-eternal, coequal, consubstantial persons.

Again, you’re human, not God. You are one being and one person; God is one being and three persons. The “is nots” are absolutely necessary to maintain the timeless distinctions between the three persons.

Exactly, which is why we need to maintain the timeless distinction of the three persons.

Always.
I am not what you accuse me of, so you can stop that straight away.

Back to the conversation. We are made in the image of God, except we are not omnipresent. If you were the same as you think God is, there would be three Free's, one not being the other.

Not so. You have the wrong understanding.

Last edited:
I am not what you accuse me of, so you can stop that straight away.
Then why are you ignoring all the verses that don’t fit with your position? Do you think that is being honest, at least with yourself? You do yourself a great disservice by ignoring the verses that don’t fit your theology.

Back to the conversation. We are made in the image of God, except we are not omnipresent. If you were the same as you think God is, there would be three Free's, one not being the other.
Not at all. We aren’t eternal, we’re not omnipotent or omniscient, we aren’t perfect, we aren’t necessary and self-existing. God is spirit and doesn’t have a body, at least not when he created humans, so that aspect is not in the image of God. There are lots of ways we aren’t created in the image of God, including his plurality.

Not so. You have the wrong understanding.
You have not only shown that my understanding is wrong, you haven’t shown that yours is right. You really need to address all the verses and arguments you have ignored.

Then why are you ignoring all the verses that don’t fit with your position? Do you think that is being honest, at least with yourself? You do yourself a great disservice by ignoring the verses that don’t fit your theology.

Not at all. We aren’t eternal, we’re not omnipotent or omniscient, we aren’t perfect, we aren’t necessary and self-existing. God is spirit and doesn’t have a body, at least not when he created humans, so that aspect is not in the image of God. There are lots of ways we aren’t created in the image of God, including his plurality.

You have not only shown that my understanding is wrong, you haven’t shown that yours is right. You really need to address all the verses and arguments you have ignored.
Everything fits my position. I wouldn't be here if it didn't.

Everything fits my position. I wouldn't be here if it didn't.
And yet you have ignored everything that contradicts it, despite repeated attempts to have you address the issues. You can claim to have the truth all you want, but if you’re unwilling to demonstrate how to reconcile those things which are difficult for your position, or are simply unwilling to show others how it is all reconciled, it strongly suggests that you actually don’t have the truth.

And yet you have ignored everything that contradicts it, despite repeated attempts to have you address the issues. You can claim to have the truth all you want, but if you’re unwilling to demonstrate how to reconcile those things which are difficult for your position, or are simply unwilling to show others how it is all reconciled, it strongly suggests that you actually don’t have the truth.
God became flesh on earth. We call the newly visible flesh Jesus, and at his birth God became Father.

One God throughout.

How does John contradict this?
I have shown this more times than I can count, so I’m not going to repeat myself. The second clause of John 1:1 and verse 2 completely contradict your position.

I have shown this more times than I can count, so I’m not going to repeat myself. The second clause of John 1:1 and verse 2 completely contradict your position.
(1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (2) He was in the beginning with God.

(14) And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 1:1-14 NKJV

Jesus is the Word and the Word is God.

Last edited:
(1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (2) He was in the beginning with God.

(14) And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 1:1-14 NKJV

Jesus is the Word and the Word is God.
Yes, but as I pointed out, you keep ignoring the middle clause of verse 1--"the Word was with God." No one is ever said to be with themself, never mind in intimate relationship and communion with themself. Ever. That is to speak nonsensically.

Yes, but as I pointed out, you keep ignoring the middle clause of verse 1--"the Word was with God." No one is ever said to be with themself, never mind in intimate relationship and communion with themself. Ever. That is to speak nonsensically.

John 1:1 In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God.

John 1:1 In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God.
Okay, but that doesn’t address the issue. Who was the God that Jesus was with?

And how does that statement reconcile with what you previously said: “We call the newly visible flesh Jesus, and at his birth God became Father”?

Okay, but that doesn’t address the issue. Who was the God that Jesus was with?

And how does that statement reconcile with what you previously said: “We call the newly visible flesh Jesus, and at his birth God became Father”?
The Word created the heavens and the earth, and later on, we are told Jesus was the Word, i.e. the Creator. When the Word, now given the name Jesus by the angel, came among us, his human mother was Mary, and his father was the Holy Spirit, meaning Jesus was both man and God. God with us. Then you asked who the Father of Jesus was when you should have known. Well, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one God, and as God cannot be divided, the words "is not" when talking of the One God are inappropriate.

The Word created the heavens and the earth, and later on, we are told Jesus was the Word, i.e. the Creator.
Technically, John says everything was made "through" the Word:

Joh 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. (ESV)

Which Paul agrees with:

1Co 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. (ESV)

Simple logic tells us that both the Father and the Son existed for eternity past prior to creation.

When the Word, now given the name Jesus by the angel, came among us, his human mother was Mary, and his father was the Holy Spirit, meaning Jesus was both man and God. God with us.
This is not at all an issue.

Then you asked who the Father of Jesus was
No, that is not at all what I asked. I have never asked that. I asked who he was with.

when you should have known. Well, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one God, and as God cannot be divided, the words "is not" when talking of the One God are inappropriate.
You're still not addressing the issue. John says the Word was with someone for all eternity past. Who was the Word with?

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God. (ESV)

Technically, John says everything was made "through" the Word:

Joh 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. (ESV)

Which Paul agrees with:

1Co 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. (ESV)

Simple logic tells us that both the Father and the Son existed for eternity past prior to creation.

This is not at all an issue.

No, that is not at all what I asked. I have never asked that. I asked who he was with.

You're still not addressing the issue. John says the Word was with someone for all eternity past. Who was the Word with?

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God. (ESV)

1:1 In the beginning was the Word. He did not have a beginning Himself, but existed from all eternity. As far as the human mind can go back, the Lord Jesus was there. He never was created. He had no beginning. (A genealogy would be out of place in this Gospel of the Son of God.) The Word was with God. He had a separate and distinct personality. He was not just an idea, a thought, or some vague kind of example, but a real Person who lived with God. The Word was God. He not only dwelt with God, but He Himself was God.

The Bible teaches that there is one God and that there are three Persons in the Godhead—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. All three of these Persons are God. In this verse, two of the Persons of the Godhead are mentioned—God the Father and God the Son. It is the first of many clear statements in this Gospel that Jesus Christ is God. It is not enough to say that He is “a god,” that He is godlike, or that He is divine. The Bible teaches that He is God.

1:2 Verse 2 would appear to be a mere repetition of what has been said, but actually it is not. This verse teaches that Christ's personality and deity were without beginning. He did not become a person for the first time as the Babe of Bethlehem. Nor did He somehow become a god after His resurrection, as some teach today. He is God from all eternity.

1:3 All things were made through Him. He Himself was not a created being; rather He was the Creator of all things. This includes mankind, the animals, the heavenly planets, the angels —all things visible and invisible. Without Him nothing was made that was made. There can be no possible exception. If a thing was made, He made it. As Creator, He is, of course, superior to anything He has created. All three Persons of the Godhead were involved in the work of creation: “God created the heavens and the earth” (Gen_1:1). “The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters” (Gen_1:2). “All things were created through Him (Christ) and for Him” (Col_1:16 b).

1:4 In Him was life. This does not simply mean that He possessed life, but that He was and is the source of life. The word here includes both physical and spiritual life. When we were born, we received physical life. When we are born again, we receive spiritual life. Both come from Him.

The life was the light of men. The same One who supplied us with life is also the light of men. He provides the guidance and direction necessary for man. It is one thing to exist, but quite another to know how to live, to know the true purpose of life, and to know the way to heaven. The same One who gave us life is the One who provides us with light for the pathway we travel.

There are seven wonderful titles of our Lord Jesus Christ in this opening chapter of the Gospel. He is called (1) the Word (vv. 1, 14); (2) the Light (vv. 5, 7); (3) the Lamb of God (vv. 29, 36); (4) the Son of God (vv. 34, 49); (5) the Christ (Messiah) (v. 41); (6) the King of Israel (v. 49); and (7) the Son of Man (v. 51). The first four titles, each of which is mentioned at least twice, seem to be universal in application. The last three titles, each of which is mentioned only once, had their first application to Israel, God's ancient people.

1:5 The light shines in the darkness. The entrance of sin brought darkness to the minds of men. It plunged the world into darkness in the sense that men in general neither knew God nor wanted to know Him. Into this darkness the Lord Jesus came—a light shining in a dark place.

The darkness did not comprehend it. This may mean that the darkness did not understand the Lord Jesus when He came into the world. Men did not realize who He really was, or why He had come. Another meaning, however, is given in the NKJV margin: the darkness did not overcome it. Then the thought would be that man's rejection and enmity did not prevent the true light from shining.

(Believers Bible)

1:1 In the beginning was the Word. He did not have a beginning Himself, but existed from all eternity. As far as the human mind can go back, the Lord Jesus was there. He never was created. He had no beginning. (A genealogy would be out of place in this Gospel of the Son of God.) The Word was with God. He had a separate and distinct personality. He was not just an idea, a thought, or some vague kind of example, but a real Person who lived with God. The Word was God. He not only dwelt with God, but He Himself was God.

The Bible teaches that there is one God and that there are three Persons in the Godhead—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. All three of these Persons are God. In this verse, two of the Persons of the Godhead are mentioned—God the Father and God the Son. It is the first of many clear statements in this Gospel that Jesus Christ is God. It is not enough to say that He is “a god,” that He is godlike, or that He is divine. The Bible teaches that He is God.

1:2 Verse 2 would appear to be a mere repetition of what has been said, but actually it is not. This verse teaches that Christ's personality and deity were without beginning. He did not become a person for the first time as the Babe of Bethlehem. Nor did He somehow become a god after His resurrection, as some teach today. He is God from all eternity.

1:3 All things were made through Him. He Himself was not a created being; rather He was the Creator of all things. This includes mankind, the animals, the heavenly planets, the angels —all things visible and invisible. Without Him nothing was made that was made. There can be no possible exception. If a thing was made, He made it. As Creator, He is, of course, superior to anything He has created. All three Persons of the Godhead were involved in the work of creation: “God created the heavens and the earth” (Gen_1:1). “The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters” (Gen_1:2). “All things were created through Him (Christ) and for Him” (Col_1:16 b).

1:4 In Him was life. This does not simply mean that He possessed life, but that He was and is the source of life. The word here includes both physical and spiritual life. When we were born, we received physical life. When we are born again, we receive spiritual life. Both come from Him.

The life was the light of men. The same One who supplied us with life is also the light of men. He provides the guidance and direction necessary for man. It is one thing to exist, but quite another to know how to live, to know the true purpose of life, and to know the way to heaven. The same One who gave us life is the One who provides us with light for the pathway we travel.

There are seven wonderful titles of our Lord Jesus Christ in this opening chapter of the Gospel. He is called (1) the Word (vv. 1, 14); (2) the Light (vv. 5, 7); (3) the Lamb of God (vv. 29, 36); (4) the Son of God (vv. 34, 49); (5) the Christ (Messiah) (v. 41); (6) the King of Israel (v. 49); and (7) the Son of Man (v. 51). The first four titles, each of which is mentioned at least twice, seem to be universal in application. The last three titles, each of which is mentioned only once, had their first application to Israel, God's ancient people.

1:5 The light shines in the darkness. The entrance of sin brought darkness to the minds of men. It plunged the world into darkness in the sense that men in general neither knew God nor wanted to know Him. Into this darkness the Lord Jesus came—a light shining in a dark place.

The darkness did not comprehend it. This may mean that the darkness did not understand the Lord Jesus when He came into the world. Men did not realize who He really was, or why He had come. Another meaning, however, is given in the NKJV margin: the darkness did not overcome it. Then the thought would be that man's rejection and enmity did not prevent the true light from shining.

(Believers Bible)
All of which I agree with and what the diagram of the Trinity shows. But this contradicts your position, so I'm not sure why you quoted it (I'm assuming this is not your work, in which case, as per the ToS, you must post the source).

You have previously stated: "Jesus is the Word, and the Word is the Creator, also known as the Father. They are ONE God."

And also: "God became flesh on earth. We call the newly visible flesh Jesus, and at his birth God became Father."

Those are in direct opposition to your post above.

All of which I agree with and what the diagram of the Trinity shows. But this contradicts your position, so I'm not sure why you quoted it (I'm assuming this is not your work, in which case, as per the ToS, you must post the source).

You have previously stated: "Jesus is the Word, and the Word is the Creator, also known as the Father. They are ONE God."

And also: "God became flesh on earth. We call the newly visible flesh Jesus, and at his birth God became Father."

Those are in direct opposition to your post above.
The source was quoted! It is from a commentary called the Believers Bible. That shows how much notice you took. All you seem to do is find fault the whole time, act as judge and jury without even having a proper understanding, and are overbearing. Did you notice that Jesus is without beginning or end and existed from all eternity? I am glad you agree. There are not many who do. And you still continue to divide the One God, with the "is nots" despite there being only one God and what makes it worse is the fact that scripture says God cannot be divided, yet we end up with three demi-gods. And then I am expected to pay money only to be brushed aside. You have to be joking.

Last edited:
The source was quoted! It is from a commentary called the Believers Bible. That shows how much you took in. All you seem to do is find fault the whole time, act as judge and jury without even having a proper understanding, and are overbearing.
I saw “Believers Bible” but I’ve never heard of it and thought it only applied to the biblical text. Regardless, I’ll show who has the proper understanding of what the Believer’s Bible states below.

Did you notice that Jesus is without beginning or end and existed from all eternity? I am glad you agree. There are not many who do. And still, you continue to divide the One God, with the "is nots" despite scripture saying God cannot be divided.
Speaking of how much I took in, I clearly took in a whole lot more than you. As I stated previously, it fully supports everything I have even saying. Such as here:

The Word was with God. He had a separate and distinct personality. He was not just an idea, a thought, or some vague kind of example, but a real Person who lived with God. The Word was God. He not only dwelt with God, but He Himself was God.”

You seem to have missed the part where it says Jesus “had a separate and distinct personality.” Also that he was “a real Person who lived with God” and “dwelt with God.”

You also seemed to miss these even clearer statements:

“The Bible teaches that there is one God and that there are three Persons in the Godhead—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. All three of these Persons are God. In this verse, two of the Persons of the Godhead are mentioned—God the Father and God the Son.”

And then there is this: “All three Persons of the Godhead were involved in the work of creation.”

All those statements I quoted support everything I have said, support the diagram of the Trinity, and contradict your position. That’s why I said I don’t know why you quoted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back