Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Was James confused?

Genesis 18:18-20 (New King James Version)
18 since Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? 19 For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the LORD, to do righteousness and justice, that the LORD may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him.â€Â

Abraham always listened to God which is a work

Genesis 12
Promises to Abram
1 Now the LORD had said to Abram:

“Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father’s house,
To a land that I will show you.
2 I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.

3 I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.â€Â

Excellent post bodhitharta,

John 1:23 He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said Isaiah the prophet.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Way?.... Where is this way going?

Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden the Cherubim, and the flame of a sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

We were created to live a certain way...
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=39535
;)

Mr. Burger,

I think James was referring to this verse concerning Abraham being God's friend.

Isaiah 41:8 But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.

I agree with Vince's post. James was responding to the false idea that one may have faith without ever having the compulsion, the nature of true belief, to follow Christ in loving obedience.

The Lord bless.

StoveBolts said:
Excellent post bodhitharta,

John 1:23 He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said Isaiah the prophet.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Way?.... Where is this way going?

Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden the Cherubim, and the flame of a sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

We were created to live a certain way...
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=39535
;)

Brilliant!

Is the Law of Moses still in effect today?
Wm Tipton

Assertions/Conclusions of this Article
To show that the law of Moses and the old covenant were made void and obsolete at the Cross with Jesus' death to ratify this new testament.

Supporting Evidence
Firstly understand that Jesus was a Jew born under law. The law would be in effect until His death ratified His new testament and made the old 'obsolete' (not destroyed, simply unneeded, made void).
While Christ yet lived the law was to be kept because it had not yet be set aside.
For this is the covenant which I shall covenant with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind, and I shall inscribe them upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. And by no means will they teach each one his fellow citizen, and each one his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I shall by no means remember anymore."
By the saying "new ," He has made the first obsolete. And the one becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish.
(Heb 8:10-13 EMTV)

obsolete
G3822
ÀαλαιÃ΃
palaioÃ…Â
pal-ah-yo'-o
From G3820; to make (passively become) worn out, or declare obsolete: - decay, make (wax) old.

G3822
ÀαλαιÃ΃
palaioÃ…Â
Thayer Definition:
1) to make ancient or old
1a) to become old, to be worn out
1b) of things worn out by time and use
2) to declare a thing to be old and so about to be abrogated
In order for this to happen, however, Jesus had to die. His 'testament', sort of like a Last Will and Testament, could not go into effect until His death.
And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
(Heb 9:15-18 KJV)
So His testament begins at His death, which effectively 'nullified' the old testament, for all intents and purposes.
But again, while He lived the law was still intact and to be obeyed and followed.

The law had a purpose. That purpose was fulfilled in Christ...
Why then the law?
It was added on account of transgressions, until the Seed should come to whom it had been promised; and it was commanded through angels by the hand of a mediator. Now the mediator is not for one person, but God is one.
Therefore, is the law against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given which was able to give life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.
But the scripture has confined all under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, having been hemmed in for the faith which was to be revealed.
Therefore the law has become our custodian, leading us to Christ, so that we might be justified by faith.
But after faith has come, we are no longer under a custodian.
(Gal 3:19-25 EMTV)
Its not that Christ destroyed the law, He simply was the fulfillment of the purpose of the law.

Hebrews says this;
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
(Heb 7:12 KJV)
based on the whole NT, my view is that Jesus is saying that until its purpose was fufilled, the law was to remain intact and be followed.
The evidence shows that its purpose was fulfilled at the cross with the ratification of His new covenant.

http://assembly-ministries.org/studies/ ... m.php?id=1

sk0rpi0n said:
Paul contradicts not only the rest of the bible, but HIMSELF!!!

Judge for yourself!

Here he calls the law a "curse"....
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."
- Galatians 3:13

(Did he just say Jesus was cursed because he was hung???)

And here he calls the law holy...

So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.
- Romans 7:12

Still no contradiction, people?????
Let me help you out here.
Yes, to your blinded mind there is a contradiction. So put your bible away, convert to Islam and get it over with.. Or better yet, become an atheist and get on with your life.
Then on that day when we all stand before Him you can explain to Him about your 'contradictions'...

RichardBurger said:
As a matter of fact I cannot find a statement in the O.T. that says Abraham was called a friend of God.
Such complete ignorance....

Jas 2:23 And the Scripture was fulfilled, saying, "And Abraham believed God, and it was counted for righteousness to him;" and he was called, Friend of God.
Gen. 15:6; Isa. 41:8

And he believed in Jehovah. And He counted it to him for righteousness.
(Genesis 15:6 MKJV)

But you, Israel, are My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham, My friend;
(Isaiah 41:8 MKJV)
Guess like other false teachers you just didnt look hard enough.
But then, false teachers dont actually want the truth, now do they ?

sk0rpi0n said:
Excellent post, Richard!

stevebolts said:
If your argument is correct, why no rebuke to James by Paul?

If Paul was correct, then ...
Why is the book of James talking in favor of the law?
why isnt the book of James talking about being saved by faith only?

Both of them cant be correct simultaneously.

Paul holds the law in perfect tension with faith.

Ephesians 2:8-10 for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, that no man should glory. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God afore prepared that we should walk in them.

StoveBolts said:

Ephesians 2:8-10 for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, that no man should glory. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God afore prepared that we should walk in them.

Yes, Jeff, this is well said.

I take it that most believe we are to become righteous by our works of obedience. However no one will say what that obedience is. Most just imply it is to keep the law. However, obedience is to place your faith in Christ.

My Bible tells me that God calls the things that ARE NOT to be the things that ARE and the thngs that ARE to be the things that ARE NOT.

In other words God call the sinful to be righteous "IN CHRIST" and the self righteous by works to be sinful. Why are they sinful? Because they want to establish their own righteousness by the law and fail to submit to the righteousness freely given to those that place their belief, faith, trust, confidence, and hope in the work of God on the cross. All the glory should go to God but man wants some of it for him/her self.

Now to those that love James and believe you must have works to have faith I say this, God knows His children and He knows they have placed their complete belief, faith, trust, confidence, and hope in the work of God on the cross. But the religious will never do that because they place their faith in their theology.

StoveBolts said:
sk0rpi0n said:
Excellent post, Richard!

stevebolts said:
If your argument is correct, why no rebuke to James by Paul?

If Paul was correct, then ...
Why is the book of James talking in favor of the law?
why isnt the book of James talking about being saved by faith only?

Both of them cant be correct simultaneously.

It is a good work to walk in belief, faith, trust, confidence and hope in Jesus' work on the cross. We were created to be the household of Faith.

RichardBurger said:
Or was he still preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom, which included the Law?

James 2:20-21
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
(NKJ)

No, he was not!!!!!!!  ---- He was accounted righteous before God several years earlier, BEFORE the birth of Isaac, and before he had done anything to "prove" his faith in God. 

Gen 15:4-6
4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."
6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
(NKJ)

Not only that, but God accounted him righteous solely for his faith in His Promises, and not by anything that He did.  Paul accurately reports this.  It seems that James, in order to mix salvation by works and faith, did not consider this fact in the scriptures.  It was not until Genesis 22, many years after Isaac was born, when Abraham was well over 100 years old, that he agreed to offer Isaac.

James writes:
22  You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.
23  And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.

Neither of those last two statements jives with the Genesis 15:4-6 account.  Nowhere does the OT Scripture say that Abraham "was called God's friend" because he was willing to offer Isaac. As a matter of fact I cannot find a statement in the O.T. that says Abraham was called a friend of God.

Based upon faulty premises, one is bound to come to a faulty conclusion:

24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

Which is, as shown above, a direct contradiction of the Gospel that Paul taught and the account given in the scriptures.

In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul. Here are some facts that support my opinion. I find them interesting.

MY COMMENTS: I think James was right, because "faith" is really "belief in action." You quoted 2:22 which, I see, completes the picture: Abraham believed God and when tested, his obedience completed (perfected) his faith. In the next verse, James writes, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Thus, works without faith is empty.

When Abram was declared "righteous", which, to me, means he did was was "right:" he believed God who declared, while he was maybe 85 years old, that he would have a son from his own body, and that his offspring would be as uncountable as the stars above (As you quoted).

This was before he was told that it would be through Sarai.

Later, when Abram was 99+ years old, the LORD and two angels appeared as men unto Abram, and there it was reiterated that he would be the father of many nations; and his name was changed to Abraham, and "Sarai" was changed to "Sarah."

Later, when Abraham was tested by the LORD to sacrifice Isaac, Abraham obeyed, for he had faith that he himself would be the father of many nations, and thus believed that though he slay Isaac, God would raise him from the dead. And the final promise was, "And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice" (Gen. 22:1-18, KJV).
And of course, we know that this "seed" is Christ Jesus.

So, his obedience ("works") followed his unswerving faith, and he did what was right, in the eyes of the Lord.

Isn't it possible that our faith can be tested by the Lord, just as Abraham's was?

And how many times was the Apostle Paul's faith tested?

Many quotes of the OT in the NT are not exact. But, look at this passage, which I'm sure James knew:

"But thou Israel, my servant whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend." Isaiah 41:8, KJV.

Your opening question about James: "Or was he still preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom, which included the Law?", needs answering.

From my studies, I believe Jame's hope was the Messianic Kingdom to come on earth, and he, like Peter, preached the good news of that Kingdom.

For those that disagree, this can be another thread.

To conclude: since no one is saved apart from the grace of God, whether to be in the Kingdom on earth as a believing Jew or proselyte, or to be in the Body of Christ, it is thus, "by grace through faith".

james is not confused. and him and paul and jesus all agree perfectly. James is not saying to keep the law of moses. the works he speaks of are good works of faith NOT works of law.

WHen abraham offered up isaac is was not BY THE LAW, it was by FAITH and His work to do what God told him showed that HE BELEIVED GOD. If abraham would have said to God, no i am not going to do that work, then it would show that abraham did NOT HAVE FAITH.- When you believe God and WALK in faith then you do works of faith, not works of law. If God says to you go into the market use your last dollar buy a burger and give it to the poor man on the next corner and you know you have a bill to pay with that dollar and you say to God no God i have to pay this bill that shows you do not walk by faith at least in that moment- but when you do the work He has told you, it shows your faith in action.

Hbr 11:17 ¶ By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten [son],

Hbr 11:18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:

Hbr 11:19 Accounting that God [was] able to raise [him] up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

Abraham did this WORK of offering him up, by FAITH.

Jam 1:2 ¶ My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

Jam 1:3 Knowing [this], that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Jam 1:4 But let patience have [her] perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Faith that says it beleives but walks by sight and not in the work of God as the Spirit leads them shows their faith is dead. and if your faith is alive and real then it will endure trying, AND your walk will be of faith and not of fight. It is impossible to walk IN FAITH and not have works of faith if your faith is alive.

Jam 1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jam 1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jam 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

This is the same thing paul said. i pray people will compair these two and meditate on them

2Cr 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which [vail] is done away in Christ.
2Cr 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
2Cr 3:16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
2Cr 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty.
2Cr 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Going back a few posts, the Law of God is holy. It is not evil. We are cursed because we didn't obey it. Paul had to explain that we aren't freed by God from His evil word. We are freed by God from our own evil.

Remember Rahab.

Heb 11:30-31
30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days.

31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace. KJV

James 2:25
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? KJV

Remember what is written in Hebrews concerning Abraham offering Isaac.

Heb 11:17-19
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:

19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure. KJV

Remember what James said was the result of this event.

James 2:21-24

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. KJV

The nature of this work is not the beginning of faith, but the maturing/perfecting of faith in Abraham by the working of God's grace, that work whereby God is able to subdue all things unto himself, by and through Jesus Christ. In this event Abraham saw the day of Christ and was glad. First God told Abram to leave his family and go. Then God disappointed Abram when Ishmael was set aside in the promise of Isaac. Then this deepened when Abram, now Abraham, was directed by God to send Ishmael and Hagar out of the camp. Now this final discipline to mature Abraham in obeying the voice of the Sovereign Lord to offer up Isaac.

Faith comes in hearing the voice of the Sovereign Lord. Faith works in us by the love of God in his grace that is in Jesus Christ. The power of this love fulfills the spirit and purpose of the commands of God. This fulfillment through love is not our justification. It is the way that God perfects holiness in us, in the fear of the Lord. This occurs after God has cleansed us from all fithiness of the flesh and the spirit. This occurs after God justifies us in Jesus Christ, from the wrath to come, giving us peace with God. Romans 5:1-5 is an orderly progression from justification to perfection through the love of God in tribulations. Jesus was perfected through suffering. Hebrews 2:10.

Romans 2:13--- This justification is the final justification in the judgment of God in the day of Jesus Christ. This is for the family/body together. Only those who have been participants in the grace of God personally, daily, sending their sins beforehand to judgment, will be invited into the final justifying work of God by Jesus Christ.

Luke 17:7-10
7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?

8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?

9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.

10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. KJV

Acts 17:31
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. KJV

Justification in this judgment is the testimony of Romans 2:13. This will be: Rom 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. KJV

Joe

follower of Christ said:
sk0rpi0n said:
Paul contradicts not only the rest of the bible, but HIMSELF!!!

Judge for yourself!

Here he calls the law a "curse"....
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."
- Galatians 3:13

(Did he just say Jesus was cursed because he was hung???)

And here he calls the law holy...

So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.
- Romans 7:12

Still no contradiction, people?????
Yes, to your blinded mind there is a contradiction. So put your bible away, convert to Islam and get it over with.. Or better yet, become an atheist and get on with your life.
Then on that day when we all stand before Him you can explain to Him about your 'contradictions'...

1. Any one with a basic grasp of english can see that Paul likens the law to a curse in one place and calls it holy in another place. You perform some great mental acrobatics to NOT read it that way.

Refusing to see a blatant contradiction, doesnt mean there isnt one.

sk0rpi0n said:
1. Any one with a basic grasp of english can see that Paul likens the law to a curse in one place and calls it holy in another place. You perform some great mental acrobatics to NOT read it that way.

Refusing to see a blatant contradiction, doesnt mean there isnt one.

And calling something a contradiction due to your myopic understanding of the Bible doesn't make it a real contradiction.

Explanation for Galatians 3:13

If the Law shows every person to be under God's curse, how can we escape God's wrath? Paul reminded his readers that Christ paid the penalty for our sins and made justification possible for every person. He voluntarily took the wrath of God directed toward us upon Himself; He became the object and bearer of God's curse (2 Corinthians 5:21). He neutralized the curse for them, so that they, on whom the curse rightfully falls because of their failure to keep the law, now become free from both its demands and its curse. . . .

Galatians 3 verse 13 thus represents Christ's death as a vicarious bearing of the curse of the law which delivers his people from the same curse. This is in simple terms Paul's Christian interpretation of Christ's death on the cross. Christ has done all that is necessary and his death is the means of making sinners free. The proof that Christ became a curse for us was the fact that His executioners hung Him on a tree. Under the Law this was the fate of criminals whom God had cursed. Note that God did not curse Christ because He hung on a tree, but Christ hung on a tree because God had cursed Him. Paul again quoted Deuteronomy (21:22-23). "The curse of the Law" is the curse pronounced on the law-breaker by the Law (Deuteronomy 27:26 ; Galatians 3:10). "By bringing these two texts (in Deuteronomy) together and interpreting the latter [Deuteronomy 21:22-23] in terms of the former [Deuteroomy 27:26], Paul understands Jesus' death on the cross (to which a curse was attached according to Deuteronomy 21:23) as a bearing of the curse of God incurred (according to Deuteronomy 27:26) by all who fail to continue in obedience to the law.

Deuteronomy 21:22-23
If a man has committed a sin deserving of death, and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, his body shall not remain overnight on the tree, but you shall surely bury him that day, so that you do not defile the land which the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance; for he who is hanged is accursed of God.

Denteronomy 27:26
‘Cursed is the one who does not confirm all the words of this law by observing them.’

Galatians 3:10
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them".

follower of Christ said:
RichardBurger said:
As a matter of fact I cannot find a statement in the O.T. that says Abraham was called a friend of God.

Jas 2:23 And the Scripture was fulfilled, saying, "And Abraham believed God, and it was counted for righteousness to him;" and he was called, Friend of God.
Gen. 15:6; Isa. 41:8

[quote:3i4ayum6]And he believed in Jehovah. And He counted it to him for righteousness.
(Genesis 15:6 MKJV)

But you, Israel, are My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham, My friend;
(Isaiah 41:8 MKJV)
But then, false teachers dont actually want the truth, now do they ?[/quote:3i4ayum6]

Isa 41:8 --- "But you, Israel, are My servant,
Jacob whom I have chosen,
The descendants of Abraham My friend.
NKJV

Okay, so you are right. But just because you are right about this it does not everything else I wrote wrong.

But you are a strange fellow. It seems you are quick to write your little put down remarks and I bet it make you feel good to do it. I feel certain you are a Christian that loves others.

Your remarks to others:

Very cute don't you think?

No, I was wrong in only one place.

But then, false teachers dont actually want the truth, now do they ?

And you , obviously have never been wrong in your whole life. Isn't that just wonderful.

Yes you are a strange fellow, you claim love for others and cannot resist putting them down to build your ego.

Gen 15:4-6
4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."
6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
(NKJ)

Not only that, but God accounted him righteous solely for his faith in His Promises, and not by anything that He did.  Paul accurately reports this.  It seems that James, in order to mix salvation by works and faith, did not consider this fact in the scriptures.  It was not until Genesis 22, many years after Isaac was born, when Abraham was well over 100 years old, that he agreed to offer Isaac.

The truth is best understood as a dialectic. A tension between opposing forces. Light and darkness...good and evil....cursing and blessing...goodness and severity....mercy and judgment...love and hate....etc....

Without that tension we are speaking outside the present reality. We are at war! Did I mention...law and grace...? ;)

Back