Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

WAS THE LAW FULFILLED OR ABOLISHED?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
We understand the word FULFILLED differently.
If the law has been made obsolete....
then we are not required to obey the 10 commandments or any of the commandments.
later....

The law of Moses was ADDED to a covenant that already had laws and commandments in it, and did not annul it when it was added nor when it was removed from it.

I have made this point at least twenty times and just completely ignore it.

The law of Moses was added to the Abrahamic Covenant which already had covenant laws and commandments.

The law being added did not annul these laws and commandments when it was added, nor did it annul these laws and commandments when it was removed.

Please acknowledge that you understand this.

And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect. For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Galatians 3:17-19

JLB

Jesus fulfilled the law which is why it is taken out of the way, having been made obsolete.

Remember the point I made about this ?

Nothing would pass from the law UNTIL it was fulfilled.

Because it was fulfilled it has become obsolete and taken out of the way.

JLB
That is the answer to the thread.
The law was abolished because the law was fulfilled.

For example, the law of animal sacrifice was abolished (as Paul uses the word, not Jesus) because Christ fulfills the lawful requirement for blood sacrifice. There is no reason to try to sacrifice an animal to accomplish that which is already accomplished through the sacrifice of Christ. No outstanding debt of animal sacrifice remains for the person who believes and trusts in the sacrifice of Christ. That law is satisfied in Christ.

The debt of law that does remain is the continuing debt to love others as ourselves:

"8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” a and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” b 10Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." - Romans 13:8-10

We understand the word FULFILLED differently.
If the law has been made obsolete....
then we are not required to obey the 10 commandments or any of the commandments.
later....
The ceremonial law was made obsolete. But the lawful requirement to love your neighbor as yourself remains unfulfilled. You never exhaust the responsibility to love your neighbor as yourself. That lawful requirement is a continuing debt of law. But even then, that requirement is fulfilled through Christ and the new way of the indwelling Holy Spirit, not through the powerlessness of the written word alone.

The 10 Commandments were from the law of Moses and included the Sabbath requirements as dictated by that law.
Just a slight correction for clarity.
There is a difference between God's Laws and the Laws of Moses.
For instance, God wrote the 10 commandments. These are God's Laws to the Israelites. They are not the Laws of Moses.
The Laws of Moses are only found in Deuteronomy scattered in with the Laws of God. Take divorce for instance. The law of Moses permitted divorce.

Mathew 19:8 ESV.
He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.

Please reference Deuteronomy 24 for the Law of Moses concerning divorce.

My point is this. When talking about the Law, it is not accurate to interchange God's Laws as Moses Laws. The 10 commandments are God's Laws, not Laws of Moses.

Pigs that are indigenous and eat natural and don’t live in pens don’t live the same as commercial pork.

Same for chickens and even Salmon and Talapia.

JLB

You took part of my post out of context and thereby distorted the meaning. The part I supposedly said was part of truthfrees' post that I totally disagreed with.

Pigs are clean, wonderful, affectionate animals that supply excellent protein for much of the world's population. If people want to avoid eating pork chops/roasts, ham, bacon, lard, etc. they are missing out on a great source of food created by God.

Off-topic so do crabs and lobsters and mollusks are the filter of the water .yet not banned.eat raw oyster and see .here people have been sickened by algae as red tide has hit these as even cooked the toxin remained
wow -sorry to hear that - fish too or just lobster/crab/shellfish?

lobster - crab - clams - shellfish are not kosher because they lack scales and as you said they clean the water - they are scavengers and carnivores

The law of Moses was ADDED to a covenant that already had laws and commandments in it, and did not annul it when it was added nor when it was removed from it.

I have made this point at least twenty times and just completely ignore it.
I do not ignore your posts.
You're telling me things I don't know are correct.

You say the Abrahamic Covenant had laws in it.
What laws did it have in it?

The law was given to Moses,,,not to Abraham.

And I've always said that each new covenant does NOT make the previous one obsolete and only makes it slightly different or better in some way.

A covenant is an agreement with God and man.
God does NOT change His mind regarding covenants.
The Adamic Covenant is still in force.
No one has gone back to the Garden.

The law of Moses was added to the Abrahamic Covenant which already had covenant laws and commandments.

The law being added did not annul these laws and commandments when it was added, nor did it annul these laws and commandments when it was removed.

Please acknowledge that you understand this.
I understand and I've replied above.
Please list the commandments God gave to Abraham that are meant for US.

And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect. For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
The law WAS 430 YEARS LATER.....
Which is what I've been saying.
The law was given to Moses not to Abraham.
To Abraham were given promises and blessings.

What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Galatians 3:17-19

JLB
Agreed.

The ceremonial law was made obsolete. But the lawful requirement to love your neighbor as yourself remains unfulfilled. You never exhaust the responsibility to love your neighbor as yourself. That lawful requirement is a continuing debt of law. But even then, that requirement is fulfilled through Christ and the new way of the indwelling Holy Spirit, not through the powerlessness of the written word alone.
Agreed.
In fact, the difference between the Mosaic Covenant and the New Covenant is HOW the commandments are kept...by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as you've stated.

Before the law was burdensome. And the Israelites were powerless to maintain it and could not maintain it. No one was saved through the law but it was given to show the sinfulness of man.
Also to give man rules to live by since they had been slaves for so long...hundreds of years.

Even in the O.T. persons were saved by faith...just like Abraham.

lobster - crab - clams - shellfish are not kosher because they lack scales and as you said they clean the water - they are scavengers and carnivores

Chicken ,and beef both can carry parasites .

Chicken eat their own if its its not the same color chick,eat their waste .

Chickens are not something you,would eat of you grew up seeing them do what they do if that is concern .my,wife talked about how they will peck .

Fish will have worms ,always do .and must be cooked or raised to prevent that . certain fish are scavengers ,cat fish are ,not the walking type .

Note carp,grouper ,flounder .these I can easily catch and or eat at a seafood restaurant .there s one that sells them all ,called lightsies ,if its in,the water you can find it there .grouper is called jewfish,aka goliath grouper .those are big ,ugly things but delicious

Chicken ,and beef both can carry parasites .

Chicken eat their own if its its not the same color chick,eat their waste .

Chickens are not something you,would eat of you grew up seeing them do what they do if that is concern .my,wife talked about how they will peck .

Fish will have worms ,always do .and must be cooked or raised to prevent that . certain fish are scavengers ,cat fish are ,not the walking type .
I'm not eating anything anymore!

Please list the commandments God gave to Abraham that are meant for US.
19For I have chosen him (Abraham), so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just... - Genesis 18:19

Besides circumcision, I don't know off hand if any of these 'ways' are specifically listed.

19For I have chosen him (Abraham), so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just... - Genesis 18:19

Besides circumcision, I don't know off hand if any of these 'ways' are specifically listed.
Agreed.
They are not listed.

It says that Abraham obeyed God's commands,,,not the least of which was to bring Isaac up to Mt. Moriah.

But the commandments God gave were for Him and his clan/tribe.

The 10 commandments were given to Moses and were Moral Commandments and were meant for everyone----I proffer even for non-believers since they follow the Natural Law, which is also of God. (not the Law of Nature), and which contains many of the commandments.

For these there IS a list.

Before the law was burdensome.
Psalms 119:12
Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules[c] of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.
Gimel
17 Deal bountifully with your servant,
that I may live and keep your word.
18 Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law.

David did not think of them as burdensome. Elsewhere David contends that he delights in the law.

Do you think then, that the law could be a delight for those that keep the commandments, yet are a burdon for those who are enemies of the law and rebelliously break it?

Jesus put it this way, Mathew 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Those who rail against Christ also see His commandments as a burden.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back