Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Why is the 7th day the only one not described as the others eg. "And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." ?

Chapter 2:1-3 Young's Literal Translation

Gen 2:3 And God blesseth the seventh day, and sanctifieth it, for in it He hath ceased from all His work which God had prepared for making.

imo, Because His work was done, completed. So His rest is that final rest we enter into.

No go back to work on the 8th day. :janitor

Cause by now we should have figured that out? :)

Chapter 2:1-3 Young's Literal Translation

Gen 2:3 And God blesseth the seventh day, and sanctifieth it, for in it He hath ceased from all His work which God had prepared for making.

imo, Because His work was done, completed. So His rest is that final rest we enter into.

No go back to work on the 8th day. :janitor

The reason I find it interesting is that if we accept this 7th day is ongoing why do we insist the other 6 are 24 hours ?

It would be just my opinion agua, The first 6 days were the work of God and had the final statement of each day signifying a 24 hour period of time. Having mentioned that duration of time, I assume that God felt that those six mentions were enough....The last and 7th day was a day of rest. The workdays were regulated by sun-up to sun-down. The "rest day" would not be limited by sun-up to sun-down. Therefore it would be 24hrs of rest. IMO.

Ah ok fair enough Chop.

You have said that before, about Elohim. Everything that I have read has named the God who is first mentioned in Genesis is Elohim. Then when the Scripture says the "Lord our God", is "Jehovah our Elohim".
Why doesn't the Bible just say "Jehovah our Elohim" instead of "Lord our God." Who changed it and why? (Is this digressing? Sorry, just curious)

Ah ok fair enough Chop.

I have really come to love you my friend. I always look forward to your posts. You are an unusual Christian, in that your life in Christ shows thru in your posts. I can't say that about some folk. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate you as a person, and your involvement in our study of Genesis. :hug

Why doesn't the Bible just say "Jehovah our Elohim" instead of "Lord our God." Who changed it and why? (Is this digressing? Sorry, just curious)

Oh boy, that's a very complicated issue. Somewhere I read that the Hebrews changed it because they did not want to pronounce Jehovah. Opps, here it is..............
יהוה yehovâh. This word occurs about six thousand times in Scripture. It is obvious from its use that it is, so to speak, the proper name of God. It never has the article. It is never changed for construction with another noun. It is never accompanied with a suffix. It is never applied to any but the true God. This sacred exclusiveness of application, indeed, led the Jews to read always in place of it אדוני 'adônāy, or, if this preceded it, אלהים 'ĕlohı̂ym, to intimate which the vowel points of one of these terms were subscribed to it. The root of this name is חוה chāvâh, an older variety of היה hāyâh, which, as we have seen, has three meanings, - “be” in the sense of coming into existence, “be” in that of becoming, and “be” in that of merely existing. The first of these meanings has no application to God, who had no beginning of existence."

A careful reading of Gen 2:3 suggests that God ceased work on the seventh day and then rested, which would mean He actually did some work on the sabbath, but only hallowed it because that was the day He finished. This implies the sabbath is special because of completion, not rest. Rest is only a way to celebrate completion.

A careful reading of Gen 2:3 suggests that God ceased work on the seventh day and then rested, which would mean He actually did some work on the sabbath, but only hallowed it because that was the day He finished. This implies the sabbath is special because of completion, not rest. Rest is only a way to celebrate completion.
Exactly! and the rest we now have is in Christ as we have entered His rest according to Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Is there a relation in entering His rest provided on that seventh day and our experience? :shrug

Exactly! and the rest we now have is in Christ as we have entered His rest according to Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Is there a relation in entering His rest provided on that seventh day and our experience? :shrug

God has finished the work of our salvation, so we no longer have to work towards that, but can instead direct our efforts to serving and saving others, both in the remains of our seventh day, and the weeks that follow.

NOTE: For anyone who would like to do a little studying on tomorrow's study, it will be, Genesis 2:4-7 Man appears. Also please note that today's extension of day 7 is actually Day 8. And tomorrows study will be Day 9.

Thanks for the kind words Chop you set a great example to follow Brother.

And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
(Gen 2:5 KJV)

What is the significance of man tilling the ground ? I guess Yahweh made the Earth for us to look after.

Thanks for the kind words Chop you set a great example to follow Brother.

And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
(Gen 2:5 KJV)

What is the significance of man tilling the ground ? I guess Yahweh made the Earth for us to look after.

You are right Buddy, There is work to be done, and Adam will be the grounds keeper....You are welcome about the kind words, I meant every word. I wish we lived closer, I'd love to get together with you to fellowship over the Scriptures.

You are right Buddy, There is work to be done, and Adam will be the grounds keeper....You are welcome about the kind words, I meant every word. I wish we lived closer, I'd love to get together with you to fellowship over the Scriptures.

Jacobs Well to your place is about 9.700 miles yeah a bit of a hike. :) I think I'll visit USA some day Lord willing.

Oh boy, that's a very complicated issue. Somewhere I read that the Hebrews changed it because they did not want to pronounce Jehovah. Opps, here it is..............
יהוה yehovâh. This word occurs about six thousand times in Scripture. It is obvious from its use that it is, so to speak, the proper name of God. It never has the article. It is never changed for construction with another noun. It is never accompanied with a suffix. It is never applied to any but the true God. This sacred exclusiveness of application, indeed, led the Jews to read always in place of it אדוני 'adônāy, or, if this preceded it, אלהים 'ĕlohı̂ym, to intimate which the vowel points of one of these terms were subscribed to it. The root of this name is חוה chāvâh, an older variety of היה hāyâh, which, as we have seen, has three meanings, - “be” in the sense of coming into existence, “be” in that of becoming, and “be” in that of merely existing. The first of these meanings has no application to God, who had no beginning of existence."

Sorry, will make this quick. Jews used a tetragrammaton, which in English is transliterated as YHWH. Jews did not have vowels.
Here is a good link for that issue: http://www.bible.ca/jw-YHWH.htm

Sorry, will make this quick. Jews used a tetragrammaton, which in English is transliterated as YHWH. Jews did not have vowels.
Here is a good link for that issue: http://www.bible.ca/jw-YHWH.htm

I read somewhere that the dots and lines were added for the vowels sounds as spoken because they were afraid that the Hebrew language would be totally lost with no one remembering how to speak or read it.
"However, as Hebrew literacy declined, particularly after the Romans expelled the Jews from Israel, the rabbis recognized the need for aids to pronunciation, so they developed a system of dots and dashes called nikkud (points). These dots and dashes are written above, below or inside the letter, in ways that do not alter the spacing of the line. Text containing these markings is referred to as "pointed" text."
http://www.jewfaq.org/alephbet.htm

What went on in the Sabbath?
Was that the day folks brought their sin offerings.. Where they judged and forgiven on that day.... those kind of things is what i am asking about... what was the routine?

Maybe in 2 Chronicles and Neh. 8 and then those seem to be describing certain times not every Sabbath. I think Neh. might be close?
That says that the Torah was read and explained until they understood, then they rejoiced and prayed, worshiped. Much the same as our services today.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back