Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Day 10 Genesis 2:8 & 9 2/26/14 Two Trees

I find it interesting that God would create the tree of life & knowledge of good & evil which were pleasant to the eye and good for food. Satan used these facts to deceive Eve by using something created by God. I wonder why He created them so?

It is commonly felt among early expositors like Darby, Gill & Barnes that we don't have two tree's here, but only one because they ate from 1 tree and the result was death and knowledge of good and evil effected them. Even though some people think that there was, in the tree, no ability to impart life and knowledge, I disagree because after they ate the fruit on the tree, the nature of the tree that God cited, came true. And we see the tree of life re-appear in Revelation 22:2
"The tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit (this tree must be supernatural because a fruit tree is only supposed to yield one kind of fruit.)

In Genesis 3:22 "Then the Lord God said, behold, the man has become like one of Us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever." So we also see here that from one tree, Adam gained knowledge and the ability to eat from the tree of life and continue to live forever. So my thinking is, if the tree's had no power in themselves to live up to their names then, I'm being deceived.

I think there were 2 trees too. I haven't thought about it before, why God made them "pleasant to the eye". I suppose it could imply temptation. Since He warned against eating from that tree, it separates appearance from function, a way of saying all that glitters is not gold. Maybe, His way of teaching us things aren't always as they seem.

"There is a way that seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death." Proverbs 14:12

It's good to look at but not good to eat. I've wondered why God didn't forbid them from eating from the tree of life. I kinda understand why he did after they ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but why not before?

I think there were 2 trees too. I haven't thought about it before, why God made them "pleasant to the eye". I suppose it could imply temptation. Since He warned against eating from that tree, it separates appearance from function, a way of saying all that glitters is not gold. Maybe, His way of teaching us things aren't always as they seem.

It's good to look at but not good to eat. I've wondered why God didn't forbid them from eating from the tree of life. I kinda understand why he did after they ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but why not before?

They weren't forbidden the tree of life until after they had sinned.

By weight we are mostly water (spit?).:spit

Most likely. An Egyptian creation account says that a god (I don't remember which one) spit on the earth, and everywhere his spit landed, men sprang up. The men started spitting and everywhere their spit landed women sprang up. It must have been a temporary thing. No matter how much I spit, I can never manage to create a woman.

The TOG​

Vaccine I think we usually believe that A&E never ate from the ToL because of our immortal soul doctrine which doesn't fit if they needed to eat from the Tree to continue living.

Gen 3:22 KJV And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

It's probable that they ate from the ToL before the fall ( only 1 Tree was forbidden as you say ) and this is what kept them free from illness and eventual death etc. ( there's also a tie in here to the ToL being a type of Jesus maybe ? ) In Gen 3:22 the implication is that the ongoing eating from it, and not a once eating, will make them live forever ( which isn't identical to immortal ). imo As Chop said the Tree(s) will appear again in the New Jerusalem for healing. It's interesting that today we ( the world ) looks for youth elixirs constantly.

what are the components of our bodies? do we kinda have an idea the dust of dirt is 'dirty" it wasn't when He first created it... what are bodies are really doesn't matter what matters HE breathed the breath of life into man...

Of course you are right, the life is the important thing, and the spirit the most important...just wanted to add the same elements we find in the "dirt" are what we find in bodies...also it was humans who declared dirt "dirty" (it is not)....dirt does not equal germs (and having said that 90% of all bacteria are really necessary and healthy to our life)

Day 10 Genesis 2:8 & 9 2/26/14 Two Trees

I find it interesting that God would create the tree of life & knowledge of good & evil which were pleasant to the eye and good for food. Satan used these facts to deceive Eve by using something created by God. I wonder why He created them so?

It is commonly felt among early expositors like Darby, Gill & Barnes that we don't have two tree's here, but only one because they ate from 1 tree and the result was death and knowledge of good and evil effected them. Even though some people think that there was, in the tree, no ability to impart life and knowledge, I disagree because after they ate the fruit on the tree, the nature of the tree that God cited, came true. And we see the tree of life re-appear in Revelation 22:2

"The tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit (this tree must be supernatural because a fruit tree is only supposed to yield one kind of fruit.)

In Genesis 3:22 "Then the Lord God said, behold, the man has become like one of Us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever." So we also see here that from one tree, Adam gained knowledge and the ability to eat from the tree of life and continue to live forever. So my thinking is, if the tree's had no power in themselves to live up to their names then, I'm being deceived.

Cool Chop! Now there are at least two views...

1. The view of two literal trees and the fruit they ate was a piece of fruit like an apple or pear….

2. The tree of Life is grace through faith focuses on God as Lord and leads to eternal life, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is the Law, which by works focuses on self and leads to death…

One thing I get from chapter three however is that the fruit or product of a certain line of reasoning ….

represented by the phrases “Did God really say…?” (doubt God and His word)….”you shall not surely die” (God’s word is a not true) and “He knows in the day you eat thereof your eyes shall be opened and you shall be as gods” (He cannot be trusted…so we decide good and evil for ourselves, doing what is right in our own eyes)…

...leads us to disregard God’s word to us and we become our own lords…

So like the serpent metaphor, I do not believe the trees are literal trees with a literal physical fruit….but this spiritual type of spiritual fruit appeals to our appetites/flesh, we succumb to the lust of our eyes, and it produces a kind of vanity (the pride of life)…which leads to sin.

Just some thoughts…

Brother Paul

Last edited:
As for verse 3:22 I believe God is saying that now that they are in/have sin, He cannot allow them to live with this sin in His presence for eternity so they must be barred from having eternal life until those sins were dealt with, as indicated that they eventually would be in Genesis 3:15...

brother Paul said:
True, but if we had to communicate atoms of "elements" used to makeup molecules (when Genesis was written), to ancient commoners, they would not know what we were talking about...

Normally i would have just said dirt but i got caught up in the intellectual stimulation of the moment.. :sick

tob

Yeah that's right Chop.

1Co 15:45-46 KJV And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. (46) Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

It seems we become a spiritual being in the next life so I sorta go with the Dichotomous theory. ( although there are some glitches :biggrin )
How can a body go from flesh to spirit?

How can a body go from flesh to spirit?

1Co 15:51-53 KJV Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, (52) In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (53) For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

It's not that we will be spirit only but a spiritual being with a different kind of body than we have now.

1Co 15:40-44 KJV There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. (41) There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. (42) So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: (43) It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: (44) It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

We don't know exactly what this body is yet imo.

1Jn 3:2 KJV Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back