Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

I'm with you Reba, I wondered the same thing for awhile. I didn't come up with anything but since you have mentioned it, hmmm :thinkingme too. This must have been a rare treat for Joseph since he has been away from where these are grown approx. 20 years. God may have put this into Jacob's mind to reward Joseph a little. It may have been a bribe to get on the good side of the lord of the land?....still :thinking

We live in His kingdom we are not of this world... Israel offered the best fruit of his kingdom ... we are to offer the the fruit of His kingdom

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

This gift of Israels was given to gain life... to put together what the world had take apart... Israel wanted Simon back... He wanted food for his tribe... the number of people under Israel roof , so to speak... was huge... Israel wanted restoration

he wanted Benjamin back not simon. darn it, my great grandpa is named Jacob on both sides of my grandparents on my jewish side. every time I read about Jacob I cant stop thinking about that.

remember his son reuben slept with his mother, and also the blessing and cursings. Racheal is whom Jacob loved and she gave him two sons. of which one was dead in Jacob's eyes. a broken family , yes but do take that into consideration.

Reuben didn't sleep with his own mother, rather he slept with his father's concubine.

Gen 35:22 - And it came to pass, when Israel dwelt in that land, that Reubenwent and lay with Bilhah his father's concubine: and Israel heard it. Now the sons of Jacob were twelve:

This sin will be revisited by Absalom, and attempted in a roundabout way by Adonijah.

Last edited:
I wonder if they see the return of their money as a bad thing from God, when really it wasn't, because they know they don't deserve God's kindness. We know that the love (kindness) of God brings one to repentance. :shrug

They thought the 'Godfather' had just blindsided them with a 'favor', thus instead of a fair transaction they were in debt. Only fools want to be in debt to the mafia.

I'm with you Reba, I wondered the same thing for awhile. I didn't come up with anything but since you have mentioned it, hmmm :thinkingme too. This must have been a rare treat for Joseph since he has been away from where these are grown approx. 20 years. God may have put this into Jacob's mind to reward Joseph a little. It may have been a bribe to get on the good side of the lord of the land?....still :thinking

Jacob is still trying to buy salvation from the famine because he doesn't yet know that the only one who can save him already loves him.

Curious...... About Jacob not trusting God with the boy's safety. Was he even trusting in God, in the first place, to send the family off to Egypt to get food instead of simply trusting God to come through, and provide for them in the land they were given to live in? I mean, didn't he just take it into his own hands to decide on that whole trip?

Jacob did not love Racheal enough to be true :hips

Considering Leah was his first wifey I suggest he didn't love Leah enough to be true :D After marrying Rachel he then became obligated to 2 wifeys.

Curious...... About Jacob not trusting God with the boy's safety. Was he even trusting in God, in the first place, to send the family off to Egypt to get food instead of simply trusting God to come through, and provide for them in the land they were given to live in? I mean, didn't he just take it into his own hands to decide on that whole trip?

based on what Joseph said later, no, Jacob wasn't wrong.

nor were Josephs brothers blamed by Joseph nor punished by him for selling him into slavery.

it is written that all along this was Yhwh's Plan, and as Creator Owner Ruler King, He can do what He wants to.

Jacob did not love Racheal enough to be true :hips

Because we don't worship the patriarchs, we can see them as they were, but we should probably withhold condemnation because theirs was a different pre-Christian world. We also learn, thus benefit, from their failures.

plus, Yhwh the Creator blessed Abraham, Isaac and Jacob,
and blesses anyone who blesses them (and their descendants)
and curses anyone who seeks to hurt them.

and i think King David warned sternly (as a man after Yhwh's Own Heart) not to speak offhandedly or judgmentally of Yhwh's Chosen Ones/the Ones He Anointed and Picked.

Reuben didn't sleep with his own mother, rather he slept with his father's concubine.

Gen 35:22 - And it came to pass, when Israel dwelt in that land, that Reubenwent and lay with Bilhah his father's concubine: and Israel heard it. Now the sons of Jacob were twelve:

This sin will be revisited by Absalom, and attempted in a roundabout way by Adonijah.
mother in law. same thing.

based on what Joseph said later, no, Jacob wasn't wrong.

nor were Josephs brothers blamed by Joseph nor punished by him for selling him into slavery.

it is written that all along this was Yhwh's Plan, and as Creator Owner Ruler King, He can do what He wants to.
Doesn't that thinking put a whole different light on the Jews and Romans who crucified Christ? After all, the entire crucifixion was also God's plan from the beginning.

And, in history, Pharaoh, too..... and Eve and the serpant?

I'm more into seeing this as a personal responsibility thing.

The precedents Jacob had were to trust God and not flee to Egypt. Joseph, in his role as proto-messiah, changed everything concerning the way God would provide for His people.

The precedents Jacob had were to trust God and not flee to Egypt. Joseph, in his role as proto-messiah, changed everything concerning the way God would provide for His people.
But, Jacob, in his day-to-day life had no inkling of this.

Back