Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What does the Word say about the Law of YHWH which, in reality, is the Law of Moses?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
No work today due to snow.
Mat 12:1 At that time Yeshua went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.

Mat 12:2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.​

They were guilty of breaking four Pharisaic (man-made) laws; reaping, threshing, winnowing, and storing. All this simply by plucking some grains and eating. The Jews weren’t even allowed to walk on the grass because the Pharisees fear that they might accidently separate some seed from the stalk.

Mat 12:3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
Mat 12:4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
Mat 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
Mat 12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.​

Yeshua said they were “guiltless”. Here they were, living under the Old Covenant, yet Yeshua says they were guiltless. Why? Because what they were doing was not against Yahweh’s law. Yeshua came to magnify the Law and make it honorable (Isa 42:21), but the Pharisees, in their limited, carnal understanding of the commandments, made them a burden by imposing their man-made laws and traditions upon them.
Mat 12:3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
Mat 12:4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
The Pharisees were not around in David's day so the Law that Yeshua says David broke was the Law of Moses. According to the Law of Moses only the priests could eat the show bread.
Lev 24:7 and thou hast put on the rank pure frankincense, and it hath been to the bread for a memorial, a fire-offering to YHVH.
Lev 24:8 `On each sabbath-day he arrangeth it before YHVH continually, from the sons of Israel--a covenant age-during;
Lev 24:9 and it hath been to Aaron, and to his sons, and they have eaten it in the holy place, for it is most holy to him, from the fire-offerings of YHVH--a statute age-during.'
The show bread was for a remembering, a memorial, of the manna YHVH provided in the wilderness. One loaf for each of the 12 tribes.
Yeshua tells us why David and his men were guiltless, even though they broke the Law of Moses,.....
Mat 12:7 and if ye had known what is: Kindness I will, and not sacrifice--ye had not condemned the blameless,

Mat 12:5 `Or did ye not read in the Law, that on the sabbaths the priests in the temple do profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
The temple priests did not rest on the sabbath, therefore they profaned the sabbath but they were guiltless of breaking the law because their service was to the temple.
Mat 12:6 and I say to you, that a greater than the temple is here;
Mat 12:7 and if ye had known what is: Kindness I will, and not sacrifice--ye had not condemned the blameless,
Mat 12:8 for the son of man is lord even of the sabbath.'
He spoke of Himself being the greater temple those who are serving Him as the temple do not profane the sabbath and ....they offered sacrifices on a daily bases not just on the sabbath.
Exo 29:30 seven days doth the priest in his stead (of his sons) put them on, when he goeth in unto the tent of meeting, to minister in the sanctuary.
Exo 29:31 `And the ram of the consecration thou dost take, and hast boiled its flesh in the holy place;
Num 28:3 `And thou hast said to them, This is the fire-offering which ye bring near to YHVH: two lambs, sons of a year, perfect ones, daily, a continual burnt-offering;

As priests are we required to take a physical rest or are we required to service the Lord everyday. If the priests of the temple, as a shadow of things to come, were not required to physically rest on the sabbath or any day, why would we be required to?

The Pharisees were not around in David's day so the Law that Yeshua says David broke was the Law of Moses. According to the Law of Moses only the priests could eat the show bread.
Lev 24:7 and thou hast put on the rank pure frankincense, and it hath been to the bread for a memorial, a fire-offering to YHVH.
Lev 24:8 `On each sabbath-day he arrangeth it before YHVH continually, from the sons of Israel--a covenant age-during;
Lev 24:9 and it hath been to Aaron, and to his sons, and they have eaten it in the holy place, for it is most holy to him, from the fire-offerings of YHVH--a statute age-during.'
The show bread was for a remembering, a memorial, of the manna YHVH provided in the wilderness. One loaf for each of the 12 tribes.
Yeshua tells us why David and his men were guiltless, even though they broke the Law of Moses,.....

Correct. They were guiltless even though they broke the Law of Moses (the Law of YHWH). Why? Because YHWH desires mercy. Yeshua was teaching them that health and life takes precedence over the Law. That is also why it is permissible to pull an ox out of a ditch on the Sabbath (Luke 14:5). Mercy is not extended to those who wilfully break the Sabbath as the man in Numbers 15:32-36 did.

Mat 12:5 `Or did ye not read in the Law, that on the sabbaths the priests in the temple do profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
The temple priests did not rest on the sabbath, therefore they profaned the sabbath but they were guiltless of breaking the law because their service was to the temple.

They were guiltless because YHWH commanded them to work on the Sabbath. Therefore, YHWH gave them a new command that superseded the Sabbath command. The temple was not the issue in regards to the Sabbath. The work was. Even if YHWH told Moses to dig a ditch on the Sabbath, he would have been guiltless.

Mat 12:6 and I say to you, that a greater than the temple is here;
Mat 12:8 for the son of man is lord even of the sabbath.'
He spoke of Himself being the greater temple those who are serving Him as the temple do not profane the sabbath and ....they offered sacrifices on a daily bases not just on the sabbath.
Exo 29:30 seven days doth the priest in his stead (of his sons) put them on, when he goeth in unto the tent of meeting, to minister in the sanctuary.
Exo 29:31 `And the ram of the consecration thou dost take, and hast boiled its flesh in the holy place;
Num 28:3 `And thou hast said to them, This is the fire-offering which ye bring near to YHVH: two lambs, sons of a year, perfect ones, daily, a continual burnt-offering;

As priests are we required to take a physical rest or are we required to service the Lord everyday. If the priests of the temple, as a shadow of things to come, were not required to physically rest on the sabbath or any day, why would we be required to?

If we are serving the Lord is some way on Sabbath because He commanded us to or in order to preserve life and/or health, then yes, we would be guiltless. However, doing yardwork, laundry, shopping, working our secular jobs, etc., are not priestly works that the Lord commanded us to do. Actually, He commanded us NOT to do such things. If Aaron decided to dig a ditch on Sabbath so he could play in it with his little son Eleazar, he would not have been guiltless because that wasn't a commanded priestly work.

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Three things to notice here:
1) The fault was with the people, not the covenant nor the Law...

Heb 3:10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
I agree and so a new covenant was given with new terms and conditions.
Heb 8:6 and now he hath obtained a more excellent service, how much also of a better covenant is he mediator, which on better promises hath been sanctioned,
Heb 8:7 for if that first were faultless, a place would not have been sought for a second.
2) The Covenant is the discussion here, not the Law. The Covenant is the agreement between God and Israel. The Law is the terms and conditions of the Covenant.
I agree. Every covenant (contract) has terms and conditions attached to it and it also has more than one participate that enters into an agreement. There are two ways that I know of that a covenant can be disannuled or made obsolete. Either it is fulfilled or both participates agree to its annulment.
Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
How do new covenant believers establish the law? By observing the covenant ( law of Christ ) that was established on better promises.
3) The New Covenant is made with Israel and Judah.
Not sure what your point is here?
Now for the passage about new and old.

Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

Again, the problem was the people did not continue in the Covenant.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

This gets right interesting, this passage is a direct quote from...

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Now the word for Law in verse 33 is...

H8451
תֹּרָה תּוֹרָה
tôrâh tôrâh
to-raw', to-raw'
From H3384; a precept or statute, especially the Decalogue or Pentateuch: - law.
I not sure what your point is here. Is there another Hebrew word meaning law?
The word law in this verse is torah,
Pro 31:26 She openethH6605 her mouthH6310 with wisdom;H2451 and inH5921 her tongueH3956 is the lawH8451 of kindness.H2617
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
This leads up to verse 13 and shows it is not the Law that is old or new but rather the Covenant. The New Covenant is based on the same Law with deeper spiritual applications...
Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.
Personally I think you have it backwards. The Law of Moses was based on the whatever laws that God had made with man from the beginning. Remember that the Law of Moses, that covenant, was only for a time, until the Seed should come.
The new covenant is the manifestation of the covenant that the Law of Moses could not disannul. The one that was made with Abraham and his one seed before Abraham was circumcised.
Gal 3:15 Brethren, as a man I say it , even of man a confirmed covenant no one doth make void or doth add to,
Gal 3:16 and to Abraham were the promises spoken, and to his seed; He doth not say, `And to seeds,' as of many, but as of one, `And to thy seed,' which is Christ;
Gal 3:17 and this I say, A covenant confirmed before by God to Christ, the law, that came four hundred and thirty years after, doth not set aside, to make void the promise,
Gal 3:18 for if by law be the inheritance, it is no more by promise, but to Abraham through promise did God grant it .

by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
What makes it better??? Lot's of reasons. One of which is:

Hebrews 6:17-20 (LEB) In the same way God, because he wanted to show even more to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of his resolve, guaranteed it with an oath, in order that through two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge may have powerful encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us, which we have like an anchor of the soul, both firm and steadfast, and entering into the inside of the curtain, where Jesus, the forerunner for us, entered, because he became a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

Under the NC, God has promised that we have an anchor of the soul, both firm and steadfast!!!

Give me an O, give me an S, give me an A, give me S! What's that? OSAS, OSAS, OSAS.

Correct. They were guiltless even though they broke the Law of Moses (the Law of YHWH). Why? Because YHWH desires mercy. Yeshua was teaching them that health and life takes precedence over the Law. That is also why it is permissible to pull an ox out of a ditch on the Sabbath (Luke 14:5). Mercy is not extended to those who wilfully break the Sabbath as the man in Numbers 15:32-36 did.

They were guiltless because YHWH commanded them to work on the Sabbath. Therefore, YHWH gave them a new command that superseded the Sabbath command. The temple was not the issue in regards to the Sabbath. The work was. Even if YHWH told Moses to dig a ditch on the Sabbath, he would have been guiltless.

If we are serving the Lord is some way on Sabbath because He commanded us to or in order to preserve life and/or health, then yes, we would be guiltless. However, doing yardwork, laundry, shopping, working our secular jobs, etc., are not priestly works that the Lord commanded us to do. Actually, He commanded us NOT to do such things. If Aaron decided to dig a ditch on Sabbath so he could play in it with his little son Eleazar, he would not have been guiltless because that wasn't a commanded priestly work.

Lots of opinion here.

Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them. Galatians 3:10

Hebrews 6:17-20 (LEB) In the same way God, because he wanted to show even more to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of his resolve, guaranteed it with an oath, in order that through two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge may have powerful encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us, which we have like an anchor of the soul, both firm and steadfast, and entering into the inside of the curtain, where Jesus, the forerunner for us, entered, because he became a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

Under the NC, God has promised that we have an anchor of the soul, both firm and steadfast!!!

Give me an O, give me an S, give me an A, give me S! What's that? OSAS, OSAS, OSAS.

If you continue in the faith, and are not moved away from the hope of the Gospel.

If you continue...

Those who endure to thd end will be saved. Matthew 24:13

My think more than anything we are commanded to glorify the Lord. If I were to see my neighbor building fence on the 7th day would it glorify the Lord more for me to sit in my house relaxing or would it be a witness to my neighbor about Christian kindness and therefore the care of our Lord for him if I went and helped him? At the same time I can thank the Lord for Him giving me the ability to be able to help my neighbor.
I don't need a tutor to remind me that YHVH gave manna to the children to the nation of Israel in the wilderness. Nor to remind me that Yeshua is the true bread of life, the true manna from heaven.

I don't remember you ever answering my question about Paul. Paul did not go to Jerusalem for at least 14 yrs. That means that he did not obey the command in the Law of Moses that says every male must go to Jerusalem three times a year for the feasts. How do you explain that? Did Paul need to repent because he broke the Law of Moses, three times a year for at least 14 yrs?

You don't miss an opportunity, do you? :)
But we had better stay on topic.

I don't remember you ever answering my question about Paul. Paul did not go to Jerusalem for at least 14 yrs. That means that he did not obey the command in the Law of Moses that says every male must go to Jerusalem three times a year for the feasts. How do you explain that? Did Paul need to repent because he broke the Law of Moses, three times a year for at least 14 yrs?

Paul was led by The Spirit to not go to Jerusalem for 14 years.

Knowing Paul, and his zealous desire for his brethren and the law, that must have been some "breaking".

JLB

Lots of opinion here.

Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them. Galatians 3:10

According to Yeshua, the disciples, David, and the priests were all guiltless (innocent).

Rom 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.​

My think more than anything we are commanded to glorify the Lord. If I were to see my neighbor building fence on the 7th day would it glorify the Lord more for me to sit in my house relaxing or would it be a witness to my neighbor about Christian kindness and therefore the care of our Lord for him if I went and helped him? At the same time I can thank the Lord for Him giving me the ability to be able to help my neighbor.

We glorify Yahweh through our good works, not our bad works. Healing your neighbor's son is a good work. Building his fence on Sabbath is a bad work unless that fence is needed to protect your neighbor's life or health. Would you show Christian kindness to your neighbor by helping him build an idol?

As I understand it, Jews living outside the land of Israel were not required to keep them in Jerusalem.

According to Yeshua, the disciples, David, and the priests were all guiltless (innocent).

They were led by The Spirit.

But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Galatians 5:18

Therefore the law of The Lord is different than the law of Moses.

JLB

They were led by The Spirit.

But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Galatians 5:18

Therefore the law of The Lord is different than the law of Moses.

JLB

How were the disciples led by the Spirit if they hadn't received the Spirit yet?

Paul was led by The Spirit to not go to Jerusalem for 14 years.

Knowing Paul, and his zealous desire for his brethren and the law, that must have been some "breaking".

JLB
He goes on to say that the gospel he preached was not according to man,
Paul did not go up to Jerusalem for the ceremonial feasts during that 14 year period,
That means Paul's first missionary journey didn't happen for at least 14 years.

Galatians 2:1 Paul's Next Visit to Jerusalem - Life in Christ

Galatians 2:1 Paul's Next Visit to Jerusalem

Date Sent: Mar 28, 2011

Introduction:

Galatians 1 Verses 10 through 24 present an “air tight case” concerning the apostolic credentials of the Apostle Paul, but his case (in its entirety) does not stop there. Remember, in the first chapter we saw Paul demonstrating how he received his apostleship not from men, nor through a man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead (Gal 1:1). He goes on to say that the gospel he preached was not according to man, for he neither received it from man, nor was he taught it, but he received it through the revelation of Jesus Christ (vs.11-12). In doing this, Paul is demonstrating that his apostolic calling and message were independent from the apostles at Jerusalem. The message in no way contradicted the Apostles in Jerusalem, but his calling and his reception of that message was independent from them. - See more at: http://lifeinchristministries.com/daily-teachings/archives/teachings.php?id=13#sthash.jhW9a5zU.dpuf

Remember, in the first chapter we saw Paul demonstrating how he received his apostleship not from men, nor through a man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead

However, we need to balance just what it means to be "sent" out [apostlized] by the Spirit.

1 Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
3 Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.
So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.
Acts 13:1-4

The Lord does not by pass the leadership He has set in place, but through them he "sends" out under the direction and leading of the Spirit.

JLB

We glorify Yahweh through our good works, not our bad works. Healing your neighbor's son is a good work. Building his fence on Sabbath is a bad work unless that fence is needed to protect your neighbor's life or health. Would you show Christian kindness to your neighbor by helping him build an idol?

As I understand it, Jews living outside the land of Israel were not required to keep them in Jerusalem.
Which is more important, his physical life or his eternal life? I think we would agree that it is his eternal life. The Lord would see the intent of my heart in going to help him. Was it based on mammon, pride, to get some kind of reward from men, etc. or was it to show him the love of the Lord for him.
Mar 12:31 and the second is like it , this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself; --greater than these there is no other command.'
Mar 2:27 And he said to them, `The sabbath for man was made, not man for the sabbath,
So the sabbath (rest) was not made to honor the Lord or to glorify Him but was made so that man, which includes workers, slaves, animals, would have a day of rest. YHVH gave the nation of Israel one set day so that the whole nation would close their businesses, etc. and all rest on the same day. That would mean employers and people who owned slaves could not require them to work that day. Therefore, workers would not be out of a job because they refused to work that day. If a person has no job they cannot take care of their family thus creating another problem.
1Ti 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
In a secular nation one does not always have the option as to which days they will work, they would lose their job and not be able to care for their family. Seeing that the rest was made for man and not man made for the rest why would it matter which day he physically rests.
The only way one can make an argument for the 7th day physical rest is if that covenant, with those terms and statues, is still in effect and has not been made obsolete.

Which is more important, his physical life or his eternal life? I think we would agree that it is his eternal life. The Lord would see the intent of my heart in going to help him. Was it based on mammon, pride, to get some kind of reward from men, etc. or was it to show him the love of the Lord for him.

We are approaching this from two different perspectives. I view Sabbath breaking as a sin and you don't. So you have no problem helping someone to commit sin because you don't view such help as sin. The "love of the Lord" is to keep His commandments (1 John 5:3). Saul probably viewed the intent of his heart as good when he spared the animals and the king alive in 1Sam 15. He thought he was doing Yahweh's will, but what was spoken to him by Samuel? "To obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of YHWH, He hath also rejected thee from being king."

Mar 12:31 and the second is like it , this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself; --greater than these there is no other command.'
Mar 2:27 And he said to them, `The sabbath for man was made, not man for the sabbath,
So the sabbath (rest) was not made to honor the Lord or to glorify Him but was made so that man, which includes workers, slaves, animals, would have a day of rest. YHVH gave the nation of Israel one set day so that the whole nation would close their businesses, etc. and all rest on the same day. That would mean employers and people who owned slaves could not require them to work that day. Therefore, workers would not be out of a job because they refused to work that day. If a person has no job they cannot take care of their family thus creating another problem.
1Ti 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
In a secular nation one does not always have the option as to which days they will work, they would lose their job and not be able to care for their family. Seeing that the rest was made for man and not man made for the rest why would it matter which day he physically rests.
The only way one can make an argument for the 7th day physical rest is if that covenant, with those terms and statues, is still in effect and has not been made obsolete.

If the Sabbath was made for man to rest, then rest and teach your neighbor to rest.

I am prepared to lose my job if my employer forces me to work on Sabbath. I will obey YHWH rather than man. If I lose my job, I have full faith in YHWH to provide an even better one for me.

If it did not matter what day we physically rested, then YHWH would not have blessed, sanctified and made holy the 7th day. He would have simply said, "Remember to keep one day in seven holy."

We are approaching this from two different perspectives. I view Sabbath breaking as a sin and you don't.

Then your are trying to be declared righteous for keeping the Sabbath.

Sin is unrighteousness.

If you are keeping the Sabbath because you believe it's a sin not to, then you are trying to be justified
(Declared Righteous) before God by keeping the Sabbath.

JLB

Then your are trying to be declared righteous for keeping the Sabbath.

Sin is unrighteousness.

If you are keeping the Sabbath because you believe it's a sin not to, then you are trying to be justified
(Declared Righteous) before God by keeping the Sabbath.

JLB

I also know it is a sin to commit adultery, idolatry, thefts, etc. Does that mean I am seeking to be justified or made righteous by not doing those things? Yeshua taught men to "sin no more" (john 5:14; 8:11). I choose to obey him and sin (transgress the law) no more, not because it makes me righteous (my righteousness comes through faith), but because it is the right thing to do.

Fascinating insight, and very well stated.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back