Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What foreign languages do you know/are you interested in?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Norwegian/Danish

I know a little bit of Norwegian and Danish (maybe 10%, if that, I'll come back around to it after I finish German - which has lots of cognates with Scandinavian languages). This is because my family heritage is Norwegian-American which I mention a little here (website) and here (blog). I've, oddly enough, learned more Danish than Norwegian because I am obsessed with translating this family heirloom pulpit/postil book printed in 1758 (in Danish/Dano-Norwegian) that my grandparents have.

There are lots of Norwegians in Minnesota, right? the distinguished journalist Eric Sevareid was Norwegian-American also, I think.

Blessings.

I speak Portuguese as a 2nd language. My wife is from Brazil and we go visit her family during the summer. Usually we stay for 2 months since we are both teachers we have the time off. I have been speaking the language for about 8 years.

I speak Portuguese as a 2nd language. My wife is from Brazil and we go visit her family during the summer. Usually we stay for 2 months since we are both teachers we have the time off. I have been speaking the language for about 8 years.

Through Spanish, I can follow quite a lot of Portuguese. I find the Portuguese from Brazil easier to understand than the Portuguese from Portugal.

Blessings.

Does the Japanese of Honshu,Kyushu and Shikoku differ significantly from the Japanese of Hokkaido in the north?
I don't speak Japanese. I googled that sentence your post and responded with and old "yes, I understand" that is something I learned from karate-do.

I do bjj/mma. with the self-defense. the instructor is tri-lingual. he speaks English, Spanish and Portuguese.

Yes, there are a lot of similarities between Spanish and Portuguese. When my in-laws come to the U.S to visit we will rent movies and put the subtitles on Spanish and they are able to understand pretty well. My wife has also had conversations speaking Portuguese to someone speaking Spanish and they both understood what the other was saying.

Yes, there are a lot of similarities between Spanish and Portuguese. When my in-laws come to the U.S to visit we will rent movies and put the subtitles on Spanish and they are able to understand pretty well. My wife has also had conversations speaking Portuguese to someone speaking Spanish and they both understood what the other was saying.

....as long as a surgeon doesn't rely on a Spanish interpreter to guide him through surgery on a Portuguese patient...

(Oops...)

There are lots of Norwegians in Minnesota, right? the distinguished journalist Eric Sevareid was Norwegian-American also, I think.

Blessings.

I wouldn't doubt it. It seems like most of the Scandinavian community is in that area and not in New England (that is to say, they seem mostly located west of the Great Lakes).

Where in Scotland did your pastor go for the summit?

Hi AirDancer,

Sorry, I don't know exactly where he went, otherwise I would have mentioned it earlier.

All I know is that our Church's congregation was shown the "more kosher" of two recorded videos that he sent back blessing us for Sunday morning and briefly summarizing what he was doing there, because in the other video (we are told) our pastor was wearing a kilt and was recording when it was very windy outside. We were told we would be spared that painful sight. :lol

I wouldn't doubt it. It seems like most of the Scandinavian community is in that area and not in New England (that is to say, they seem mostly located west of the Great Lakes).

cyberjosh:

Interestingly, there is also quite a population of Scandinavian heritage in neighbouring Manitoba and Northern Ontario, Canada, up from Minnesota.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back