Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What foreign languages do you know/are you interested in?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
עברית Ivrit. Hebrew.

אני לימוד עברית?

אני מאמין. ברוך הבא ישוע.

מה שלומך ?

יום נפלא.

שלום עליכם!

I'm learning Hebrew. I'm learning passim. If you download for your tablet, "linpus keyboard" " you can download languages.

Or I you're on windows, go into Region and Languages in control panel. Go to the keyboard tab. You can toggle the keyboards between languages. If you do it on your computer on windows, make sure you open your on-screen keyboard. No downlads required for windows.

Typing your language helps you learn.

I'm on an tablet as of now

עברית Ivrit. Hebrew.

אני לימוד עברית?

מה שלומך ?

יום נפלא.

שלום עליכם!

I'm learning Hebrew. I'm learning passim. If you download for your tablet, "linpus keyboard" " you can download languages.

Or I you're on windows, go into Region and Languages in control panel. Go to the keyboard tab. You can toggle the keyboards between languages. If you do it on your computer on windows, make sure you open your on-screen keyboard. No downlads required for windows.

Typing your language helps you learn.

I'm on an tablet as of now

Well, I can just about read Eretz Yisrael in the Hebrew script, though not too much more. (Ask me about Arabic..)

עברית Ivrit. Hebrew.

אני לימוד עברית?

מה שלומך ?

יום נפלא.

שלום עליכם!

Is this modern Hebrew?

Well if I were to transcribe/transliterate this (though I don't know the vowels or the stops) it seems to me to say:

Ani La'yamod (Li'mod?) avrith? == Ani means "I/me" I believe. Can't make out the second word. Avrith = Hebrew. For a second looked like it had the root "berith" (covenant), but the aleph prefix changes the root.

Ani mamiyn beror ha'ba Yeshua. == ha'ba is "he who comes" is it not? Like "baruch ha'ba ba'shem Yahweh" (blessed is he who comes in the name of Yahweh - Psalm 118:26). Yeshua == Jesus (Technically Joshua - shortened form of Yehoshua)

Mah(?) shalomor? == ??? Second word related to shalom?

Yom nephal(a). == Yom is day. Nephal (a wild guess) is falling? Wilder guess: sunset?

Shalom alikim! == Peace be upon you? Like the Muslim Arabic greeting "As-salam alaykum"?

So grade me. How did I do? On a scale of -100 to 10 of course. :)

Last edited:
I think the funniest word in the english language is "pocketed".For some reason it sounds so funny in a sentence.

Who "pocketed it".

Its hilarious.

I think "pocked" sounds even stranger. E.g. "His clothes were dirt pocked." "The moon's surface is pocked with craters". Also found in the word "pockmark" which I think has geological uses like a "pockmarked surface".

Is this modern Hebrew?

Well if I were to transcribe/transliterate this (though I don't know the vowels or the stops) it seems to me to say:

Ani La'yamod (Li'mod?) avrith? == Ani means "I/me" I believe. Can't make out the second word. Avrith = Hebrew. For a second looked like it had the root "berith" (covenant), but the aleph prefix changes the root.

Ani mamiyn beror ha'ba Yeshua. == ha'ba is "he who comes" is it not? Like "baruch ha'ba ba'shem Yahweh" (blessed is he who comes in the name of Yahweh - Psalm 118:26). Yeshua == Jesus (Technically Joshua - shortened form of Yehoshua)

Mah(?) shalomor? == ??? Second word related to shalom?

Yom nephal(a). == Yom is day. Nephal (a wild guess) is falling? Wilder guess: sunset?

Shalom alikim! == Peace be upon you? Like the Muslim Arabic greeting "As-salam alaykum"?

So grade me. How did I do? On a scale of -100 to 10 of course. :)

You got a 90.

-Im kearning hebrew.
-I believe. Blessed is the coming Jesus Christ. Ani ma'amin. Buruch haba yeshua,
-ma shlomcha (ma shlomech, feminine)
-yom nifla, have a wonderful day. Lit. Wonderful day.
-shalom aleichem. Peace unto you

You got a 90.

-Im kearning hebrew.
-I believe. Blessed is the coming Jesus Christ. Ani ma'amin. Buruch haba yeshua,

Ah ha! Cool. What are you using to teach yourself? Online material, a certain book or series, videos, all the above?

I actually first learned the word "Ani" from this Hebrew song sung by (now unfortunately deceased) Yemeni Jewish singer Ofra Haza called "Yerushalayim Shel Zahav" (Jerusalem of Gold):

Her voice in that video is what I imagine angels in Heaven must sound like, and singing in the Biblical language of Israel too! Absolutely mesmerizing.

Interesting trivia fact: Ofra Haza was chosen by Steven Spielberg for the voice of Moses' mother Jochebed in the DreamWorks animated movie "The Prince of Egypt", chosen because of her vocal talent as a singer in that movie (which is largely a musical). Here is a clip in the movie where she sings:

Last edited:
Hmm, Pashto is Afghani isn't it? Pick any of that up in the military or ever been deployed there?
Well, Pashto is spoken in Afghanistan. But not all Afghans are native Pashto-speakers; some speak Persian and some speak Dari. So there is a distinction between the language and the nationality.

Blessings.

You got a 90.

-Im kearning hebrew.

gah. that last does mean that literally but its SOOO much more. its peace as you do TORAH, May the Heshem bless you. saying that to the lost doesn't bless them. this is where paul gets the greetings grace and peace in his letters. shalom alone has that.

jasoncran: Anyway re. Japanese, do you think you'll visit Japan again?
I was never in japan. what I I know about japan is from the martial arts. the stories of my grandpa when he fought them. old school Japanese arts its required to speak that in class. I remember most of the joint locks in aikido,some in judo. they describe what is being attacked. ie kotogeashi(I is silent for men and women must say it) wrist throw!

I was never in japan. what I I know about japan is from the martial arts. the stories of my grandpa when he fought them. old school Japanese arts its required to speak that in class. I remember most of the joint locks in aikido,some in judo. they describe what is being attacked. ie kotogeashi(I is silent for men and women must say it) wrist throw!

Very interesting; and so like you indicate, women in Japan do judo also, I guess.

Japanese is a very interesting language.

yes women do both judo/ bjj. but that is another topic.

It's interesting anyway that in spoken Japanese there are different word endings according to the gender of the person speaking. In some situations, Spanish is a bit like that also.

Kote geashi was like the only aikido move I ever learned. Kote = wrists or underarms. Some Aikido guys in my martial arts club were teaching us that move in order to show off. :rolleyes: So we practiced it against an attacker armed with a sword. That kind of knowledge might come in handy if I ever get disarmed during a Kendo fight. :lol (Though I doubt Aikido would work when both attacker and defender are wearing kendo armour).

However I wasn't aware the word choice and pronounciation difference between men and women wouldn't apply to that word ending, but it makes sense since lots of the gender differences in the Japanese language are for making women look more soft and cute and men more rough. And a word ending in a vowel is more soft than in a consonant sound. But as far as I know those differences depend a lot on region/ dialect, status and self presentation of the speaker.

It's interesting anyway that in spoken Japanese there are different word endings according to the gender of the person speaking. In some situations, Spanish is a bit like that also.

It's more a general difference in speech between men and women. Word choice or choice of politeness level depend on gender. Generally men are allowed more informal and rude speech. But status and closeness of speaker and listener play a big role.
And that phenomenon exists in English, too: Especially older people think of certain sorts of language to be "not very ladylike".

Kote geashi was like the only aikido move I ever learned. Kote = wrists or underarms. Some Aikido guys in my martial arts club were teaching us that move in order to show off. :rolleyes: So we practiced it against an attacker armed with a sword. That kind of knowledge might come in handy if I ever get disarmed during a Kendo fight. :lol (Though I doubt Aikido would work when both attacker and defender are wearing kendo armour).

However I wasn't aware the word choice and pronounciation difference between men and women wouldn't apply to that word ending, but it makes sense since lots of the gender differences in the Japanese language are for making women look more soft and cute and men more rough. And a word ending in a vowel is more soft than in a consonant sound. But as far as I know those differences depend a lot on region/ dialect, status and self presentation of the speaker.

It's more a general difference in speech between men and women. Word choice or choice of politeness level depend on gender. Generally men are allowed more informal and rude speech. But status and closeness of speaker and listener play a big role.
And that phenomenon exists in English, too: Especially older people think of certain sorts of language to be "not very ladylike".

Well, in Spanish, it's not about being ladylike or whatever; it's about making implied pronouns in spoken language argee grammatically with participles and adjectives.

But I don't know exactly what is going on grammatically in Japanese.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back