Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the first commandment?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Are they mutually exclusive?

I am a Christian Believer with a Jewish ancestry who is in the Messianic Jewish movement.
Yes
There are only Christians in the new covenant church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18 jn 20:21-23 eph 2:20
Christians are forbidden to participate in Jewish practices or feasts

There are only Christians in the new covenant church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18 jn 20:21-23 eph 2:20
Christians are forbidden to participate in Jewish practices or feasts
Then why did Paul participate (on his own) in a Nazirite vow (cutting his hair in Cenchrea in ACTS 18) which he finished out in Jerusalem with 4 others in the Temple in Jerusalem (Acts 21)? That ceremony involved animal sacrifice and temple ritual. Read Numbers 6 for the details.

Then why did Paul participate (on his own) in a Nazirite vow (cutting his hair in Cenchrea in ACTS 18) which he finished out in Jerusalem with 4 others in the Temple in Jerusalem (Acts 21)? That ceremony involved animal sacrifice and temple ritual. Read Numbers 6 for the details.
All things of the old law and covenant were pointing to Christ, when he came and died the new and eternal covenant goes in to effect Heb 9:16
To hold onto or practice the old would be a denial or rejection of christ

New is made on better promises better sacraments on the blood of Jesus christ

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Pax Christi!

Better sacraments better promises
Sacraments instituted by Christ for the salvation of souls!

Not by “faith alone”
“Faith alone” not biblical
“Faith alone” never given in prophesy in the OT.
You may think “Accept Jesus Christ as you personal Lord and savior” is biblical but there is no such verse in your bible!

Faith and the sacraments in the church founded by the authority Christ on Peter and the apostles is biblical!

Faith and baptism is the biblical initiation into the new covenant and member is Christ and His holy church!
Ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

You cannot enter a covenant by “faith alone” must be a ritual outward sign!
Faith and baptism! Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Merits of christ’s passion, death, and precious blood are applied in the sacraments! Jn 1:16

Colossians 1:20
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Matt 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

1 pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Heb 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Acts 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Lk 1: 72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;

73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,

74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,

There is only one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors is the new covenant body of Christ! Matt 1:18 & Jn 10:16 one fold

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Christ and His church are one: acts 9 why persecute me?

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Sacraments are the fruit of the sacrifice!
The holy sacrifice of Christ, His passion, blood, and death producing unlimited fruits of divine grace, actual and sanctifying grace! Jn 1:29 Jn 1:16-17 Jn 10:10

“This promise” (sacred oath of God or sacrament) of the Father acts 2:38-39 with reference to ez 36:25-27 Also a mystery Mk 4:11 Eph 5:32 eph 6:19 1 Tim 3:9 3:16 Col 1:27 2:2 4:3

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Jn 3:5 born again by water and the spirit.

Heb 7:21 For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec
(Oath = sacrament)

Hebrews 8:6
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. Based on Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

A promise is a sacred oath or sacrament!
Baptismal regeneration is the promise of the Father for union in the new covenant!

The church and the seven sacraments are necessary for salvation

Better covenant on better promises

2 Timothy 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Life of supernatural grace merited by Christ in His passion and death!

An oath to sacramental life in the new covenant in union with the mediator and communion with God, and the saints!

Promise of the Father acts 2:23-39
Promise is an oath and an oath is a sacrament! This promise of the sacrament of baptism refers to ez. 36:25-27

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)

Jn 1:5-5 abide in Him, apart from Him you can do nothing.

Jn 10:10 life, (grace more abundantly)
Jn 1: 16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Thru the sacraments!

Are you a Jew or a believer or a Christian?
Are you a Roman Catholic or a believer or a Christian?
There are labels for everything, but God does not deal with labels as He is about all of us having a personal relationship with His Son Christ Jesus.

From the “Bible alone” please

Sorry I mean of the Ten Commandments
What’s the first from the “Bible alone”

You have set your focus here on the 10 commandments, but you should be a little more explicit. What is the ramification of the said commandment?

First in chronology:

Genesis 1:28
God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

First in importance:

Deuteronomy 6:5
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Those are the First commandments.

Be fruitful and multiply, love the Lord with all your heart, love your neighbor as thyself. These things if you do, then you will be blessed. But in the context of the 10 commandments, these are not commandment to do, but rather commandments to do NOT. I am the Lord thy God, you shall NOT have other Gods before me. Thou shall NOT make any images, thou shall NOT steal, thou shall NOT covet, thou shall NOT bear false witness. These commandment instruct us of things NOT to do, else there would be consequences.

In that context, the first and most significant commandment in the scripture is the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shall NOT touch it. Yet still today, many find this fruit to be desirable, a fruit to make one wise; the fruit of the Bible itself, the knowledge of good and evil. Quite the paradox, when the Lord said you shall not eat of it, for in the day that you do, you shall surely die!

You have set your focus here on the 10 commandments, but you should be a little more explicit. What is the ramification of the said commandment?

Be fruitful and multiply, love the Lord with all your heart, love your neighbor as thyself. These things if you do, then you will be blessed. But in the context of the 10 commandments, these are not commandment to do, but rather commandments to do NOT. I am the Lord thy God, you shall NOT have other Gods before me. Thou shall NOT make any images, thou shall NOT steal, thou shall NOT covet, thou shall NOT bear false witness. These commandment instruct us of things NOT to do, else there would be consequences.

In that context, the first and most significant commandment in the scripture is the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shall NOT touch it. Yet still today, many find this fruit to be desirable, a fruit to make one wise; the fruit of the Bible itself, the knowledge of good and evil. Quite the paradox, when the Lord said you shall not eat of it, for in the day that you do, you shall surely die!
I feel the equating of the study of God's word...with evil...is ludicrous.
Once Adam's eyes were "opened", there was no going back.

I feel the equating of the study of God's word...with evil...is ludicrous.
Once Adam's eyes were "opened", there was no going back.

Well if not the Bible, then by what means do you learn the knowledge evil? Is there another book which declares to you what is a sin?

All things of the old law and covenant were pointing to Christ, when he came and died the new and eternal covenant goes in to effect Heb 9:16
To hold onto or practice the old would be a denial or rejection of christ
You did not answer my question on why Paul participated in Nazirite vows and animal sacrifice as a believer. You say to practice such things is a denial or rejection of Christ. So Paul rejected Christ? James the Just proposed Paul pay for 4 men in Nazirite vows from the Jerusalem congregation. So James rejected Christ?

Faith and the sacraments in the church founded by the authority Christ on Peter and the apostles is biblical!

Please give us chapter and verse for this statement that says…

Faith and the sacraments in the church…

Faith and sacraments = ?

What sacraments?

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love. Galatians 5:6

JLB

This is absolutely where you must begin. I must agree with what Jesus said ( after all Jesus is the Word made flesh).

Galatians 3:24 kjv

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Heart Soul Mind.
Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. Matthew 22:37-38

There is no mention of Spirit here. The day of Pentecost is not yet come. Man is under the law From Moses to John. The Kingdom message began with John. ( that can be discussed).

The first commandments were often contained in ordinances (hidden in the law are the kingdom commandments). We must be born again before the kingdom message comes alive for us.

JLB is correct to keep repeating this fact of what Jesus said. The law comes first, and then the Kingdom. The Spirit is given at Pentecost.

Ignorant Mississippi redneck
eddif

This is absolutely where you must begin. I must agree with what Jesus said ( after all Jesus is the Word made flesh).

Galatians 3:24 kjv

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Heart Soul Mind.
Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. Matthew 22:37-38

There is no mention of Spirit here. The day of Pentecost is not yet come. Man is under the law From Moses to John. The Kingdom message began with John. ( that can be discussed).

The first commandments were often contained in ordinances (hidden in the law are the kingdom commandments). We must be born again before the kingdom message comes alive for us.

JLB is correct to keep repeating this fact of what Jesus said. The law comes first, and then the Kingdom. The Spirit is given at Pentecost.

Ignorant Mississippi redneck
eddif

The Commandment (singular) is to love the Lord our God.

“Now this is the commandment, and these are the statutes and judgments which the LORD your God has commanded to teach you, that you may observe them in the land which you are crossing over to possess, that you may fear the LORD your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, you and your son and your grandson, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged. Therefore hear, O Israel, and be careful to observe it, that it may be well with you, and that you may multiply greatly as the LORD God of your fathers has promised you—a land flowing with milk and honey.’
“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:1-5

The way we love the Lord is to obey Him; to obey His Commandment to love our brother.

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.
1 John 4:20-21

• for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

The rest of the commandments are specific ways of loving (more specifically not hating) God and our neighbor.

IOW, if we make carved images of things and bow down to them, that is not loving God.

If we commit adultery with our neighbors wife that is not loving our neighbor.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

JLB

Please give us chapter and verse for this statement that says…

Faith and the sacraments in the church…

Faith and sacraments = ?

What sacraments?

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love. Galatians 5:6

JLB
Mk 16:16
Acts 8:36-38
See below

Sacraments instituted by Christ for the salvation of souls!

Not by “faith alone”
“Faith alone” not biblical
“Faith alone” never given in prophesy in the OT.
You may think “Accept Jesus Christ as you personal Lord and savior” is biblical but there is no such verse in your bible!

Faith and baptism is the biblical initiation into the new covenant and member is Christ and His holy church!
Ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

You cannot enter a covenant by “faith alone” must be a ritual outward sign!
Faith and baptism! Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Merits of christ’s passion, death, and precious blood are applied in the sacraments! Jn 1:16

Colossians 1:20
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Matt 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

1 pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Heb 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Acts 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Lk 1: 72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;

73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,

74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,

There is only one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors is the new covenant body of Christ! Matt 1:18 & Jn 10:16 one fold

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Christ and His church are one: acts 9 why persecute me?

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Sacraments are the fruit of the sacrifice!
The holy sacrifice of Christ, His passion, blood, and death producing unlimited fruits of divine grace, actual and sanctifying grace! Jn 1:29 Jn 1:16-17 Jn 10:10

“This promise” (sacred oath of God or sacrament) of the Father acts 2:38-39 with reference to ez 36:25-27 Also a mystery Mk 4:11 Eph 5:32 eph 6:19 1 Tim 3:9 3:16 Col 1:27 2:2 4:3

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Jn 3:5 born again by water and the spirit.

Heb 7:21 For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec
(Oath = sacrament)

Hebrews 8:6
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. Based on Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

A promise is a sacred oath or sacrament!
Baptismal regeneration is the promise of the Father for union in the new covenant!

The church and the seven sacraments are necessary for salvation

Better covenant on better promises

2 Timothy 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Life of supernatural grace merited by Christ in His passion and death!

An oath to sacramental life in the new covenant in union with the mediator and communion with God, and the saints!

Promise of the Father acts 2:23-39
Promise is an oath and an oath is a sacrament! This promise of the sacrament of baptism refers to ez. 36:25-27

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)

Jn 1:5-5 abide in Him, apart from Him you can do nothing.

Jn 10:10 life, (grace more abundantly)
Jn 1: 16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Thru the sacraments!

You did not answer my question on why Paul participated in Nazirite vows and animal sacrifice as a believer. You say to practice such things is a denial or rejection of Christ. So Paul rejected Christ? James the Just proposed Paul pay for 4 men in Nazirite vows from the Jerusalem congregation. So James rejected Christ?
You can’t practice two classes covenants

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

You can’t practice two classes covenants
Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
You still did not answer the question.

THAT Paul took part in animal sacrifice is without question. The very guy you are quoting here. How do you reconcile that with what you are saying?

Only Roman Catholic can be Christian
Chapter and verse please.

And since there were no separately recognizable Roman Catholics before 1055 ad when Rome became the first protestants by protesting and breaking away from the Orthodox church, I guess there were no "Christians" before then either.

Back