Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the first commandment?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Oh, you have already declared to me before that there is nothing that I could teach you. You have the scriptures, be a good Berean and go search!
Thee faith must be proposed by holy church for our belief! Matt 28:19 Lk 1:4 acts 2:42

I'm not sure how we got here from the OP...

The first commandment given by God is found in Genesis 1:28, "God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply! Fill the earth and subdue it! Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and every creature that moves on the ground.” (positive commandment)

Or possibly Genesis 2:16-17, " Then the Lord God commanded the man, “You may freely eat fruit from every tree of the orchard, but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will surely die.” (negative commandment)

NET 2.1 translation

Well that really seems to be your problem if you can not believe God. After all, it was never written of Daniel to shut up the words and seal the book, was it?. Who would have believed it? And of Paul, he never really said that God had placed a vail over their hearts, so that their minds would remain blinded, even until this day, when Moses was being read, did he? I mean who could believe the God would do such a thing?
We are getting off topic, but will reply. God never closed His word up that it would not be revealed in His time and purpose.

Daniel 12:1-4 Daniel was told to shut up the words and seal the book to the time of the end, which is the period just before the second coming of Christ. The angel told Daniel the words of the book would be opened after the end of the 1260 year period of Church persecution, Rev 12:14.

This needs to be another thread as it has nothing to do with the OP so I will not keep discussing this with you. Fill free to start a new topic on this and tag me into it.

But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. 1 John 2:27

JLB
Only refers to right and wrong basic morals not Christian doctrine
Matt 28:19 Lk 1:4 acts 2:42 and many more eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that it was the Catholic church that persecuted Christ whipping him, degrading Him, and nailing Him to a cross? There wasn't a Catholic denomination when Christ was crucified. He was killed by the Roman soldiers, but there is no evidence that they were Catholics.

Would you please clarify what you meant? Thanks.
You misunderstood me. It was the Roman Empire that the Roman Catholic Church comes from. Look at history to see the persecutions of God's people as even Jesus died a martyrs death for the sake of His father as being the word of God in the flesh.

Only refers to right and wrong basic morals not Christian doctrine
Matt 28:19 Lk 1:4 acts 2:42 and many more eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

Please stop making up your own rules and names and projecting them into the scriptures.

But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. 1 John 2:27

Why would the Lord Jesus Christ, dwell within each Christian by His Spirit, and not teach you His doctrine?

Do you know who taught Paul?

JLB

[ACMP=reminder]
Let's get back to the topic of the OP. This is not about the Roman Catholic Church and I am as guilty as the rest for going off topic. There will be no direct to the Roman Catholic Church or any other denomination/non-denomination as what they believe, but that which the written word of God teaches on this subject. Thank you.
[/ACMP]

The words that we read in the Bible called scripture are the oracles of God as He is the word, John 1:1-18.

How can His word be above Himself? We do not elevate a book above God like the book is an idol, but put God in respect for what His word says in what is labeled the Holy Bible. This makes me wonder what you study from.

Satan, who worked through the serpent, will always twist the word of God as in order to steal truth from us as he teaches a deceptive gospelI.
Very good post
…………….
I wish I could take creation and help here. We study the ADP - ATP - Calvin cycle to understand Photosynthesis and the reverse of all that in the human body energy cycle. Knowing that Faith - Belief - Spiritual Gifts have interactions we fail to understand their relationship,
But
Did the tree of good and evil contain drugs?
We do know certain classes of plants contain drugs that can cause Visual hallucinations that in turn can cause what we consider errant behaviors. Was that what was going on in the Garden? Did Lucifer know the physical side of the physical tree?
That said the more dangerous thoughts of our intellect being equal to God can be in our tree like neurons of our brain producing euphoric thoughts.
Did all the creation of the garden point all this out? I really do not know.
We have to cast down vain imaginations that exalt ourselves to god status.

As a Mississippi redneck I am just about totally overloaded to try and make sense of all this. I do believe Romans 1:20 does direct to know creation reveals the nature of God.

eddif

I really can not believe God would close His word off from anyone.

This was your original statement. To which I replied demonstrating from the scripture that God indeed can close up the scripture.

We are getting off topic, but will reply. God never closed His word up that it would not be revealed in His time and purpose.

But because you didn't like my response, you decided to add a little caveat, thinking to tell me I am wrong. But your caveat backfires in your attempt to belittle my statement, because God can do both. He can close up the words of the book, and then he can still reveal them according to his time and purpose. The key being his time and purpose, not yours, not mine.

This needs to be another thread as it has nothing to do with the OP so I will not keep discussing this with you. Fill free to start a new topic on this and tag me into it.

Oh, this doesn't really need to be another thread. This is still a continuation of the conversation that began discussing the knowledge of good and evil. The topic of the OP is what was the first commandment. The first commandment recorded in the scripture as given by the Lord was to NOT touch the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

You have professed your thirst and desire to learn the knowledge of evil. It is the fruit you desire to make you wise in the ways of Satan. Feast on it, eat up the pages of the book, fill your belly with evil to your hearts content; there is none to stop you until he be taken out of the way.

But you should know, that while your hearts desire is for the knowledge of evil, as you have made abundantly clear in this thread and others, that the way to the tree of life is blocked to you. Again, you said that you really can not believe that God would close off his word from anyone, yet he closed the way to the tree of life. The way to the tree of life remains closed off, except for the narrow way provided through Christ, and few there be that find it.

Are you a robber and a thief that you should climb in by a different way, by seeking to gain the knowledge of evil from the tree that God command you should not touch? Study the scripture for 40 years, study it for 80 years or until the end of your time, and all you will know is the knowledge of good and evil and the hope of salvation.

Yes indeed, the Lord closed up the words of the book to me that I should no longer study from it, eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It is a fruit that I no longer desire, because I have found a fruit that is more desirable, the fruit from the tree of life. But as a student of the scriptures, surely you understand that the fruit from the tree of life simply can not be taken as you like, but is only given in its season.

Thou sayest that God would not close His word, yet that was what was heard at pentecost.

Stay yourselves, and wonder;
cry ye out, and cry:
they are drunken, but not with wine;
they stagger, but not with strong drink.
For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep,
and hath closed your eyes:
the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed,
which men deliver to one that is learned,
saying, Read this, I pray thee:
and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
And the book is delivered to him that is not learned,
and he saith, I am not learned.
Wherefore the Lord said,
Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth,
and with their lips do honour me,
but have removed their heart far from me,
and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

If your heart desires the knowledge of evil so that you might become wise, then it should come as a no surprise when you are rewarded with evil.

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. Matthew 22:37-38
This is about as close to the OP as you can get.
Now to look at how we spread all things to all areas of our being.

2 Peter 1:1 kjv
1. Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2. Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3. According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4. Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6.And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

Note that the whole person is being addressed.
Body, soul, spirit. If we fail in an area we confess our sin.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

[ACMP=announcement]
I have moved many posts into a new thread call Roman Catholic church.
Please direct any RCc discussions to that thread.
Thank you.
[/ACMP]

Sorry I mean of the Ten Commandments
What’s the first from the “Bible alone”
John 11:50 kjv
50. Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
51. Now he did not say this from himself, but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus was about to die for the nation,

I think the title of this thread is what God wanted said. A lot of folks probably realize you had an idea where you wanted to go, and that it was better the way it went.

I wonder how many times what I said was not exactly what I wanted to say, but what I should have said.

eddif

Very good post
…………….
I wish I could take creation and help here. We study the ADP - ATP - Calvin cycle to understand Photosynthesis and the reverse of all that in the human body energy cycle. Knowing that Faith - Belief - Spiritual Gifts have interactions we fail to understand their relationship,
But
Did the tree of good and evil contain drugs?
We do know certain classes of plants contain drugs that can cause Visual hallucinations that in turn can cause what we consider errant behaviors. Was that what was going on in the Garden? Did Lucifer know the physical side of the physical tree?
That said the more dangerous thoughts of our intellect being equal to God can be in our tree like neurons of our brain producing euphoric thoughts.
Did all the creation of the garden point all this out? I really do not know.
We have to cast down vain imaginations that exalt ourselves to god status.

As a Mississippi redneck I am just about totally overloaded to try and make sense of all this. I do believe Romans 1:20 does direct to know creation reveals the nature of God.

eddif
I have no idea what ADP - ATP and the Calvin cycle of Photosynthesis and the reverse of all that in the human body energy cycle is all about. There are many things within Calvinism that doesn't line up with the scriptures, but I digress as that has nothing to do with the topic of the OP.

You said: Knowing that Faith - Belief - Spiritual Gifts have interactions we fail to understand their relationship,

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Belief is the faith that we have in Christ and who He said He was/is. The Holy Spirit reveals to us all truths. Faith, belief and Spiritual gifts are the interaction we have with God's Holy Spirit in the purpose of humility, integrity and love for one another. It is God's first commandment that we put no other gods before Him.

If we believe everything that man (religion) teaches, IE: Pastors, Rabbi's, Priest, Buddha etc. etc. and are not searching the scriptures for what they teach then we are making man our god believing everything they say. There is so much deception in religion leading astray those who have very little knowledge.

We are to walk according to God's commandments and statures that we remain pleasing unto Him, not man. Read Exodus 20 where the ten commandments are found in what God gave as instruction in righteousness.

The first commandment is "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." When Adam ate of the tree of good and evil he broke that commandment believeing that which beguiled Eve into eating of the fruit. From that time forward up until the flood in Noah's day and there after the first commandment has always been broken.

All of us have broken it at one time or another as we place many things above God, especially the teachings of man who teach with a carnal knowledge that is logical to their understanding. The carnal mind is actually a hostile enemy against God for it can not comprehend the Spiritual things of God as it is all foolishness to them, 1 Corinthians 2:14. They would rather believe what ever comes out of the pulpit as they unknowingly put man above God.

This was your original statement. To which I replied demonstrating from the scripture that God indeed can close up the scripture.

But because you didn't like my response, you decided to add a little caveat, thinking to tell me I am wrong. But your caveat backfires in your attempt to belittle my statement, because God can do both. He can close up the words of the book, and then he can still reveal them according to his time and purpose. The key being his time and purpose, not yours, not mine.

Oh, this doesn't really need to be another thread. This is still a continuation of the conversation that began discussing the knowledge of good and evil. The topic of the OP is what was the first commandment. The first commandment recorded in the scripture as given by the Lord was to NOT touch the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

You have professed your thirst and desire to learn the knowledge of evil. It is the fruit you desire to make you wise in the ways of Satan. Feast on it, eat up the pages of the book, fill your belly with evil to your hearts content; there is none to stop you until he be taken out of the way.

But you should know, that while your hearts desire is for the knowledge of evil, as you have made abundantly clear in this thread and others, that the way to the tree of life is blocked to you. Again, you said that you really can not believe that God would close off his word from anyone, yet he closed the way to the tree of life. The way to the tree of life remains closed off, except for the narrow way provided through Christ, and few there be that find it.

Are you a robber and a thief that you should climb in by a different way, by seeking to gain the knowledge of evil from the tree that God command you should not touch? Study the scripture for 40 years, study it for 80 years or until the end of your time, and all you will know is the knowledge of good and evil and the hope of salvation.

Yes indeed, the Lord closed up the words of the book to me that I should no longer study from it, eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It is a fruit that I no longer desire, because I have found a fruit that is more desirable, the fruit from the tree of life. But as a student of the scriptures, surely you understand that the fruit from the tree of life simply can not be taken as you like, but is only given in its season.

Thou sayest that God would not close His word, yet that was what was heard at pentecost.

Stay yourselves, and wonder;
cry ye out, and cry:
they are drunken, but not with wine;
they stagger, but not with strong drink.
For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep,
and hath closed your eyes:
the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed,
which men deliver to one that is learned,
and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
And the book is delivered to him that is not learned,
and he saith, I am not learned.
Wherefore the Lord said,
Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth,
and with their lips do honour me,
but have removed their heart far from me,
and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

If your heart desires the knowledge of evil so that you might become wise, then it should come as a no surprise when you are rewarded with evil.
I should have said that God will not close His word to anyone who seeks after it.

The topic is not about good and evil, but presents itself to that first commandment God gave Adam to not eat from the tree of good and evil. Just because I do not agree with your views you think to rail on me and say I study the evil as you said I embrace Satan. I have never belittled you or have I created a caveat, but only trying to discuss with you.

You misunderstand everything I say as I already said God reveals His word like that in Daniel where he was told to shut up the words. God will reveal that which was shut up in His timing for His purpose. I already explained that.

I have a thirst for all knowledge as learning about the evil one is part of that knowledge that is included in the teachings of scripture. Not everything in the written word is about the good things in life, but also about those things we need to be aware of that tries to deceive us.

You always take everything I say with a misunderstanding as you seem to love to speak out against me. Is it not you who is eating from the tree of good and evil!!!

This inquisition of yours stops right here and right now as I will no longer reply to you in this thread or any other thread where you condemn me.

May God bless you and bring the light of truth to all of us.

Please stop making up your own rules and names and projecting them into the scriptures.

Why would the Lord Jesus Christ, dwell within each Christian by His Spirit, and not teach you His doctrine?

Do you know who taught Paul?

JLB
Paul was an apostle you are not
Jude 1:3 christ delivered thee faith to the church
So why does the Bible say teach all nations?
You cannot believe anything without error unless the church proposes it for belief

Paul was an apostle you are not
Jude 1:3 christ delivered thee faith to the church
So why does the Bible say teach all nations?
You cannot believe anything without error unless the church proposes it for belief

Who taught Paul?

Just because I do not agree with your views you think to rail on me and say I study the evil as you said I embrace Satan.

I'm sorry, but you are the one who said you want to gain the the knowledge of Evil. You are the one who has said you study to learn of the Luciferian systems. Those were your own words I'm just repeating back to you.

This inquisition of yours stops right here and right now as I will no longer reply to you in this thread or any other thread where you condemn me.

If you are finding condemnation from your own words that I am repeating back to you, then perhaps you should look elsewhere.

There is nothing that I am aware of that says you must reply to me, but you do anyways. That's on you.

2 Timothy 3:5-9
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

I have a thirst for all knowledge as learning about the evil one

Your words: I have a thirst....
But the words of Jesus saith....

John 4:14
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 6:35
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Why do you still thirst? Why are you not filled? Is it because you hunger for something other than the righteousness of God?

Why this is that which was spoken of by Joel the prophet......

Isaiah 29:8
It shall even be as when an hungry man dreameth, and, behold, he eateth;
but he awaketh, and his soul is empty:
or as when a thirsty man dreameth, and, behold, he drinketh;
but he awaketh, and, behold, he is faint, and his soul hath appetite:
so shall the multitude of all the nations be,
that fight against mount Zion.

Why do you still thirst? Are you one that fights against Zion? Perhaps you think you're above the first commandment given in the scripture, which was the question of the OP. I don't condemn you, the scripture does.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but you are the one who said you want to gain the the knowledge of Evil. You are the one who has said you study to learn of the Luciferian systems. Those were your own words I'm just repeating back to you.

If you are finding condemnation from your own words that I am repeating back to you, then perhaps you should look elsewhere.

There is nothing that I am aware of that says you must reply to me, but you do anyways. That's on you.

2 Timothy 3:5-9
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

Your words: I have a thirst....
But the words of Jesus saith....

John 4:14
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 6:35
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Why do you still thirst? Why are you not filled? Is it because you hunger for something other than the righteousness of God?

Why this is that which was spoken of by Joel the prophet......

Isaiah 29:8
It shall even be as when an hungry man dreameth, and, behold, he eateth;
but he awaketh, and his soul is empty:
or as when a thirsty man dreameth, and, behold, he drinketh;
but he awaketh, and, behold, he is faint, and his soul hath appetite:
so shall the multitude of all the nations be,
that fight against mount Zion.

Why do you still thirst? Are you one that fights against Zion? Perhaps you think you're above the first commandment given in the scripture, which was the question of the OP. I don't condemn you, the scripture does.
God bless and have a good evening. I'm done discussing this with you.

Back