Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the first commandment?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What was it of the fruit did he lusted after? Was it not the he would be as God, knowing good and evil? When God barred the way to the tree of life, did not the Lord say man has become one of us, knowing good and evil?
It was not God, but the serpent that said "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. " What Adam lusted after was also that of the fruit being pleasant to the eye and partaking of the fruit as not knowing the serpent was beguiling the both of them. How many times have we done the same thing.

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
Gen 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

There is a temptation that comes with the knowledge of good and evil, a temptation that comes with scripture, the written of God. The temptation to presume you are speaking on behalf of the Lord because you can read the words of a book. There are many who are quick to defend the scripture, who are more interested in the authenticity of the scripture as the word of God rather than the Lord himself. Many promote the words of the book as a fruit to be desired, a fruit to make one wise.
I will always defend the scriptures as they are the living inspired words of God whom by His Holy Spirit speaks to us by His oral and written word. God's word being instruction for us in His righteousness will always be a desire, a fruit of His Spirit to help me learn to be wise in Him.

You agreed with me that sin is not imputed where there is no law. If you are in Christ, then you are no longer under the law, but dead to it; and if you are dead to it, then your sins are no longer imputed to you. Going back to my post #89, the Man of Sin is a man holding up the laws of God, imputing sins to men that God has already been nailed to the cross. The man of sin is one who reads the words of the book, and then presumes to speak to God. Reading the words of a book, proclaiming the words of God for himself, showing himself that he is God.

2 Thessalonians 2:4
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

2 Thessalonians 2:9
Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

What was the working of the Serpent in the garden? Was it not to convince them that the knowledge of good and evil was good for them, that God was lying, and that the fruit would make them wise so that they would be as God, knowing good and evil? The serpent would have you elevate the word of God above God himself. If you elevate the words of the book and the oracles of God above His Spirit and then presume to speak for God because you now posses this knowledge, then are you truly loving God with all your heart?
The words that we read in the Bible called scripture are the oracles of God as He is the word, John 1:1-18.

How can His word be above Himself? We do not elevate a book above God like the book is an idol, but put God in respect for what His word says in what is labeled the Holy Bible. This makes me wonder what you study from.

Satan, who worked through the serpent, will always twist the word of God as in order to steal truth from us as he teaches a deceptive gospel.

The words that we read in the Bible called scripture are the oracles of God as He is the word, John 1:1-18.

Jesus was the Word made flesh, but he was not the words of the book; Yet in the words of the book, it was written of him.

How can His word be above Himself? We do not elevate a book above God like the book is an idol,

Ah, but many do elevate to book and hold it as an idol. They read the words of the book and claim them for themselves, saying God said, or thus saith the Lord... But like Jesus, or Paul, I try and stick with it is written.

This makes me wonder what you study from.

Study? I am not under the schoolmaster any longer that I should need to study, yet that doesn't mean that I do not learn, nor does it mean that I can not quote the words of the book. The Spirit is sufficient to call to remembrance. I used to study diligently, but then the Lord closed the words of the book to me, stripped me of my gospel armor piece by piece until I was left naked before throne questioning my own faith before I was clothed in a new garment; But even then the Lord kept the words of the book closed to me that I should no longer study it, but rather learn to follow after the Spirit. For now I am content to sit at rest beneath my vine and my fig tree, as it is written in the words of the book. You have heard me use this phrase before, sitting at rest beneath my vine and my fig tree; the question is will you go and seek it out from the words of the book?

It was not God, but the serpent that said "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

And is it your presumption that the serpent was lying when he said that? Did not the Lord confirm that to be the truth in Gen 3:20. As Jesus said: is it not written in your law, Ye are gods?

This explains a lot.

Believe is a verb.

Faith is a noun.

Believe is what it takes to activate faith, so that it is complete, otherwise faith remains dormant or dead, like a battery needs need both a positive and negative current to complete the power circuit.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect, (complete)?
James 2:21-22

The “work” Abraham did was to obey the word from God, (by which he received faith), to offer his son Issac on the altar.

The works being referred to here is the “work” or action of obedience.

Paul refers to this as the obedience of faith.

Not the works of the law
Not work that earns a wage
Not good works
Not rituals or sacraments

Believe also means in the original, to commit, trust and obey.

Obey and obey are used interchangeably in the scriptures.

EXAMPLE:

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.
John 3:36 NKJV

He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
John 3:36 NASB

JLB
Not the sacraments? Really?

They are the foundational promise of God

A promise from God is a sacred oath aka a sacrament

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
Promise refered to in acts 2:38-39

Christ never gave the authority to anyone to change His teachings.

Here is a command that Jesus gave to His Apostles —

Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food. Matthew 10:9-10

Jesus never told His Apostles to start a city in Rome and amass untold wealth, and sell their own coins and stamps.

When a person or organization such as the Vatican, the Watchtower, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints… changes or goes beyond the doctrine of Christ, by adding things such as Popes, Cardinals, who rule from a centralized location of authority, who have untold wealth, their own bank, their own costumes, their own statutes, complete with their own rules and regulations and even an obelisk out in “St Peter’s Square”, they no longer have God.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

Forbidding (priests) to marry is something Paul warned us about.

Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 1 Timothy 4:1-4

JLB
You forgot call no man father!

Not the sacraments? Really?

Really.

Sacraments are not a part of the principle of faith.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect, (complete)?

The “work” Abraham did was to obey the word from God, (by which he received faith), to offer his son Issac on the altar.

Not the works of the law
Not good works

JLB

Bible

You asked:
Why do you think the “Bible alone” is the rule of faith for Christians
Or why do you think it MUST be in scripture?

The Bible alone is not our rule of faith, but teaches us what faith is. If the church is not teaching from the inspired word of God for what He had the Prophets and Apostles to write then they are presenting a different gospel taught by the father of lies. If it is not found in scripture then we will not believe the spirit of deception that likes to cause division.

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
Gal 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
The church is the pillar and foundation of truth
The church of the apostles received the sacred deposit of faith from Christ in person jude 1:3

Example 1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you,

He did not receive it from the “Bible alone”

Really.

Sacraments are not a part of the principle of faith.

Not the works of the law
Not good works

JLB
Sacraments are New Testament Christian means of grace

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Jesus was the Word made flesh, but he was not the words of the book; Yet in the words of the book, it was written of him.
It wasn't only the Apostles writing about Jesus, but also quoiting the words Jesus spoke orally as we can read within the red letters.
Ah, but many do elevate to book and hold it as an idol. They read the words of the book and claim them for themselves, saying God said, or thus saith the Lord... But like Jesus, or Paul, I try and stick with it is written.
There are many that do make the Bible an idol, but in many parts we read the words that God gave Jesus to speak as the Apostles that were with Him quote Him in their writings.
Study? I am not under the schoolmaster any longer that I should need to study, yet that doesn't mean that I do not learn, nor does it mean that I can not quote the words of the book. The Spirit is sufficient to call to remembrance. I used to study diligently, but then the Lord closed the words of the book to me, stripped me of my gospel armor piece by piece until I was left naked before throne questioning my own faith before I was clothed in a new garment; But even then the Lord kept the words of the book closed to me that I should no longer study it, but rather learn to follow after the Spirit. For now I am content to sit at rest beneath my vine and my fig tree, as it is written in the words of the book. You have heard me use this phrase before, sitting at rest beneath my vine and my fig tree; the question is will you go and seek it out from the words of the book?
2Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

I really can not believe God would close His word off from anyone. If we are not learning through the Holy Spirit who teaches us all truths, then we are only given a carnal understanding that has nothing to do with the Spiritual understanding of what we read. John 14:26.

Fine if you want to do nothing but rest beneath your vine and fig tree. I want to study to show myself, no one else, approved unto the Lord, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. If I am not study that which has already been written then I will fall into the hands of the deceivers who teach their gospel of lies.

And is it your presumption that the serpent was lying when he said that? Did not the Lord confirm that to be the truth in Gen 3:20. As Jesus said: is it not written in your law, Ye are gods?
It's not my presumption as the written word of God tells me so. It is easy to be deceived if you have no truth found in you. The first commandment God gave was to Adam to not eat of the tree, but in disobedience he took what Eve gave him and birthed the sin nature into the world as all eat of the tree of good and evil.

The church is the pillar and foundation of truth
The church of the apostles received the sacred deposit of faith from Christ in person jude 1:3

Example 1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you,

He did not receive it from the “Bible alone”
Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Which was once delivered to the saints, as in those saints in the OT, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc. etc. that lived by faith before the coming of Messiah.

The church is the body of Christ with He being the head of the body. The Roman Catholic Church, nor any denomination/non-denomination is a pillar, but only unto themselves if they are not teaching the doctrines of Christ.

It does no good to try and use scripture to support your self if you do not use the full context, or at least the whole verse.

1 Corinthians 11:17-34 is all about the Lord's supper and us partaking of it worthily.

The Bible alone being the inspired word of God for what He gave the Prophets and Apostles to write is the infallible word of God. It's through the Holy Spirit that teaches us all truths.

Of course Paul did not receive it from the Bible as it was not yet given.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Which was once delivered to the saints, as in those saints in the OT, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc. etc. that lived by faith before the coming of Messiah.

The church is the body of Christ with He being the head of the body. The Roman Catholic Church, nor any denomination/non-denomination is a pillar, but only unto themselves if they are not teaching the doctrines of Christ.

It does no good to try and use scripture to support your self if you do not use the full context, or at least the whole verse.

1 Corinthians 11:17-34 is all about the Lord's supper and us partaking of it worthily.

The Bible alone being the inspired word of God for what He gave the Prophets and Apostles to write is the infallible word of God. It's through the Holy Spirit that teaches us all truths.

Of course Paul did not receive it from the Bible as it was not yet given.
No it refers to Christ giving the Christian faith to the apostles

The sacred deposit of faith

So where did Paul receive it from?
Where did JTB receive from? Lk 3:2

2Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Fine if you want to do nothing but rest beneath your vine and fig tree. I want to study to show myself, no one else, approved unto the Lord, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. If I am not study that which has already been written then I will fall into the hands of the deceivers who teach their gospel of lies.

Yes, study to show thyself approved. But you've been studying the scripture for more than 40 years, and you're not approved unto God yet? It is a shame for one to wander in the wilderness for 40 years and yet not enter the promise land.

By the way, I am most certain that you have not searched the scriptures to find my vine and my fig tree, nor its context. Are we not called to be obedient to the Lord?

We should be more concerned about deceiving ourselves before we worry about a wolf in sheep's clothing trying to deceive us, as it is the beam in our own eye that blinds us.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

I really can not believe God would close His word off from anyone.

Well that really seems to be your problem if you can not believe God. After all, it was never written of Daniel to shut up the words and seal the book, was it?. Who would have believed it? And of Paul, he never really said that God had placed a vail over their hearts, so that their minds would remain blinded, even until this day, when Moses was being read, did he? I mean who could believe the God would do such a thing?

Yes, study to show thyself approved. But you've been studying the scripture for more than 40 years, and you're not approved unto God yet? It is a shame for one to wander in the wilderness for 40 years and yet not enter the promise land.

By the way, I am most certain that you have not searched the scriptures to find my vine and my fig tree, nor its context. Are we not called to be obedient to the Lord?

We should be more concerned about deceiving ourselves before we worry about a wolf in sheep's clothing trying to deceive us, as it is the beam in our own eye that blinds us.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
That man of God is a bishop a successor of the apostles

We are approved unto the Lord because we study the scriptures to help develop a closer relationship with Christ and what He has taught us. Forty, fifty or a hundred years of studying we will never exhaust all that God wants us to know, but at least He gives us what we need to know as we study. I will enter the promised land when Christ returns and the New Jerusalem is ushered down as I hear His words, "Well done thou faithful servant".

Maybe you should explain what your vine and fig tree is as I do not second guess another person.

I have no beam in my eye as I do not judge others with a self-righteous attitude. I am not infallible, but trying my best to be that servant of God He called me to be. It's all about humility, integrity and love for one another, even your enemies who we are to pray for.

Back