Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What is the work of the builder that will burn?

What do you think the work is that Paul says will be burned up?

• The first two churches built by the Three Little Pigs.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You're saying that the work burned up can't be the Corinthians...

I said no, I never said that. Then you say:

I said you agreed that the building being built by the laborer is the people of God.

Yes the building is representative of the people.

Oh I see now what you are trying to do. You are kind of building a play on words to fool me. To fool me or others into thinking built = building. That's sneaky. I'm pretty sure they starting teaching the difference between a verb and a noun now prior to the sixth grade though.

You think Built=Building (cause they kind-of sound like the same word in English).

They aren't the same words in English or Greek. I can build a car or I can build a building. Built (or to build) is a verb (work/labor/action). A building (on the other hand) is a noun (Temple or Foundation, i.e. things).

Which is why verse 14 says
If any man’s work which he has built (the verb) on it (The Foundation, the noun) remains, he will receive a reward.

And in the original Greek, one's a noun and the other is a verb as well (of course):

ἐποικοδόμησεν epoikodomēsen
build up; build upon
verb,

οἰκοδομή oikodomē building; house
noun, nominative, singular, feminine

But as I've said all along, what gets burned up is not the building (the people) but rather the works (deeds/labors) of some people. Why do I say this? Because that's what Paul says.

You should reconsider your answer to the OP question. It's an incorrect answer.

1 Corinthians 3:15 If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved, but so as through fire.

Think about it. Anyone's work. Any person's work. The person owns their own work (their labors, their actions, their thoughts, their motivations). Being an apostle, minister, golfer or security guard, or mower, etc.

God owns His own work, thoughts and motivations = Causing the increase.

So in verse 15, Paul has already (repeatedly) rightly separated out God's work from his and Apollos' work.

Therefore, Paul does NOT include God's work in his intention by saying "anyone's work" that might get burned up. But you do!

Last edited:
Okay, chessman, let me make sure I understand your doctrine...

You agree that what is being built onto the foundation of Christ are people, and that whether it be Apollos, or Paul, or whoever, it is the workers who are building people onto that foundation as God works through them to do that:

"...you are God's field, God's building." 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid,which is Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 3:9-11 NASB)

But then, when Paul starts taking about what gets built on that foundation, you say he is no longer referring to people who get built on the foundation of Christ, but rather something else?:

12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones,wood, hay, straw, 13 each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. 14 If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved...(1 Corinthians 3:12-15 NASB)

I have stated your doctrine back to you as I understand it. Am I understanding your doctrine correctly? Yes, or no?

Am I understanding your doctrine correctly? Yes, or no?
No.

For one example, when you say "whether it be Apollos, or Paul, or whoever, it is the workers who are building people onto that foundation" that's ignoring what Paul says TWICE. God is causing the increase. God's not a "whoever". As I said. We view God differently.

What's more important than you understanding me however, is what Paul wrote to the Corinthians.
When Paul told them they were God's building, I believe him. In verse 9 they were God's building (not Paul's or Apollos' per verses 6-8, the ... in your quote) and in verses 14 and 15, they remain God's building.

That's exactly what I'm NOT doing, changing who these people belong to between verses 6-9 and verses 14/15. Why? Because Paul said it was God that caused their increase and they are God's building, not Paul's or Apollos'. I don't think Paul changed his mind on that point in between verse 6-9 and verse 14/15. God was their cause to be 'built' into the building (though God used Paul's work to 'plant' Christ there and was continuing to use Apollos' work to 'water' them there).

That's why Paul can talk about burning up men's works in 14/15 (and he does say it's men's works) without it being God's work that is burned up. A point you just cannot grasp and forces you into your 'doctrine' that God can and does burn up his own work/building (people) versus burning up man's fleshly works (their actions done outside God's fellowship).

Which, you know, is fine for you. You just see God differently than I do. Writing to these Corinthians Paul says:

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 (LEB) Do you not know that you are God’s temple [see v 2-3] and the Spirit of God dwells in you?
Yet he also says:
1 Corinthians 3:2-3 (LEB) for you are still fleshly. For where there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and do you not live like unregenerate people?

No.

For one example, when you say "whether it be Apollos, or Paul, or whoever, it is the workers who are building people onto that foundation" that's ignoring what Paul says TWICE. God is causing the increase. God's not a "whoever". As I said. We view God differently.
We know that it is God who gives the successful increase to what the laborer does--like how God grows the seed that the farmer labors to plant and water. We know this. But how does that make it so Paul and Apollos and others laboring in the building of God are not builders building the building, as they are farmers farming the farm?

"9 ...you are God's field, God's building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. " (1 Corinthians 3:10NASB)

We see that Paul plainly calls himself a builder, and says others are also building on the foundation he built. The plain words are there for us to see that they are builders, and that they are building the building of God. Yet, you are insisting that we can not call them what Paul himself so plainly calls them--builders building God's building? Really?

What's more important than you understanding me however, is what Paul wrote to the Corinthians.
When Paul told them they were God's building, I believe him. In verse 9 they were God's building (not Paul's or Apollos' per verses 6-8, the ... in your quote) and in verses 14 and 15, they remain God's building.
This is what I've been saying all along. Way back in the beginning I said realizing that the 'you' in 'you are God's building' was referring to the Corinthians is what opened my eyes to what Paul was actually teaching, as opposed to what so many in the church say he's teaching. The 'you'--the Corinthians--what Paul and Apollos builds onto the foundation of Christ, is what will get tested and may, or may not get burned up on the Day of Christ.

That's exactly what I'm NOT doing, changing who these people belong to between verses 6-9 and verses 14/15. Why? Because Paul said it was God that caused their increase and they are God's building, not Paul's or Apollos'. I don't think Paul changed his mind on that point in between verse 6-9 and verse 14/15. God was their cause to be 'built' into the building (though God used Paul's work to 'plant' Christ there and was continuing to use Apollos' work to 'water' them there).

That's why Paul can talk about burning up men's works in 14/15 (and he does say it's men's works) without it being God's work that is burned up. A point you just cannot grasp and forces you into your 'doctrine' that God can and does burn up his own work/building (people) versus burning up man's fleshly works (their actions done outside God's fellowship).
You can't just decide that Paul calling himself and others builders doing the work of building the building of God can't possibly mean just what he said in order to guard against the text then saying that what the builders have built on the foundation of Christ may not pass the test of fire on the Day of Christ and be burned up. It's impossible to honestly do that.

Last edited:
how does that make it so Paul and Apollos and others laboring in the building of God are not builders building the building, as they are farmers farming the farm?

I didn't just pull this point out of thin air:

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who is causing it to grow.

I didn't just pull this point out of thin air:

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who is causing it to grow.
So, are you saying Paul is contradicting himself when he then says that he and others are builders building the building of God on the foundation of Christ?

"...like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. " (1 Corinthians 3:10 NASB)

Or are you simply saying this really doesn't mean what it's saying?

So, are you saying Paul is contradicting himself when he then says that he and others are builders building the building of God on the foundation of Christ?

"...like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. " (1 Corinthians 3:10 NASB)

No Jethro, I'm not saying Paul is contracticimg himself. I've answered this more than once. So here we are once again. Read the dot, dot, dot for the answer:

1 Corinthians 3:10 ... 21 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation,
So then, let no one boast in people.

Or are you simply saying this really doesn't mean what it's saying?
No Jethro, it all really does mean what it's saying. Even the dot, dot, dot parts.

Did you catch that ... Let no one boast in people.

Yet you are saying, and I quote;
"people you place in the building of God ..."

It is a very 'fleshly' thought in my opinion (and I think Paul would agree given ALL that he says in 1 Cor 3) to think that you are the CAUSE of people in the building. Are you familiar withe cause and effect?

Given what Paul says about himself and Apollos and other workers, you know, in the several dot, dot, dot verses that you and JLB ignore within this passage:

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then, neither the one who plants [Paul] nor the one who waters [Apollos] is anything, but God who is causing it to grow.

According to the grace of God given to me
, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, ...

Paul is saying people (even on their best Grace filled day) are fundamentally merely watering the plants that God caused to be plants and/or building upon His foundation. Plants that are caused to be in the church by God. It's not you that are "putting them there" fundamentally. So watch out for how you are doing that work. You work can be very immature and fleshly if you don't take the dot, dot, dot to heart. So yes, yes, yes I know God uses some workers (people) to put others there and to water the plants. But ultimately, Paul says it's God that caused them to be there.

who is "co-worker" ? (with Yhvh, the Creator; ) (in Scripture).

hint: no actor. no hypocrit. no one working for (trusting in) mammon.

who can know ? (Solomon , the 'wisest') said something like 1 in 1000. (a lot fewer women than men too).

who can be co-worker today ? (who even knows where there is any work of Yhvh on earth ? )

who can know ? (Solomon , the 'wisest') said something like 1 in 1000. (a lot fewer women than men too).
You, sir, are a trouble maker, lol. :lol

But you are right, that's what he said. :couch

So that the females won't seek to stone either of us, I think the rarity of the righteous man is symbolic of Christ, while the plentifulness of unrighteous women and lack of righteous ones among them is symbolic of all of mankind, which includes you and me.

So then, let no one boast in people.

No Jethro, it all really does mean what it's saying. Even the dot, dot, dot parts.

Did you catch that ... Let no one boast in people.

Yet you are saying, and I quote;
"people you place in the building of God ..."

It is a very 'fleshly' thought in my opinion (and I think Paul would agree given ALL that he says in 1 Cor 3) to think that you are the CAUSE of people in the building. Are you familiar withe cause and effect?
I mean "people you place in the building of God" no more, or no less, than what Paul himself says about this:

"...how will they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14 NASB)

"...Are you not my work in the Lord? " (1 Corinthians 9:1 NASB)

"13 But we will not boast beyond our measure, but within the measure of the sphere which God apportioned to us as a measure, to reach even as far as you." (2 Corinthians 10:13 NASB)

4 Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God..." (2 Corinthians 3:4-5 NASB)

So, unless you want to say Paul is also fleshly in his thinking about his labor in the building of Christ, you are to accept what I mean according to what Paul himself said about his labor in the building and start addressing the fact that the 'work' that builders Paul and Apollos do in building the building of God (the Corinthians) onto the foundation of Christ in verses 6-11 is also the work that will be tested by fire in verses 12-16. That's why they have to be careful how they build, building them up into that which can survive the coming testing by fire on the Day of Christ, and which will produce the expected reward and boast for them. So, when you are tempted to play this card again, just remember you accuse Paul of being fleshly just as much as you are me.

Given what Paul says about himself and Apollos and other workers, you know, in the several dot, dot, dot verses that you and JLB ignore within this passage:

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then, neither the one who plants [Paul] nor the one who waters [Apollos] is anything, but God who is causing it to grow.

According to the grace of God given to me
, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, ...

Paul is saying people (even on their best Grace filled day) are fundamentally merely watering the plants that God caused to be plants and/or building upon His foundation. Plants that are caused to be in the church by God. It's not you that are "putting them there" fundamentally. So watch out for how you are doing that work. You work can be very immature and fleshly if you don't take the dot, dot, dot to heart. So yes, yes, yes I know God uses some workers (people) to put others there and to water the plants. But ultimately, Paul says it's God that caused them to be there.
All this does not change the fact that the work done in the building of God (in this case, the Corinthians--1 Corinthians 9:1 NASB) will be tested by fire on the Day of Christ, and Paul and Apollos will have a reward if the Corinthians pass the test, and no reward if they don't.

You can't change or ignore what the passage plainly says because you "see God differently" than me, as you put it. This is what I was talking about in reading these kinds of passages through the lenses of a preconceived doctrine or theology. It's that circular reasoning thing I was talking about which says, "oh, he can't be saying believers will be tested by fire, because God won't test believers by fire." But what we should be doing is reading the passage for what it plainly says, accepting it, and then changing our view of God accordingly.

I mean "people you place in the building of God" no more, or no less, than what Paul himself says about this:

"...how will they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14 NASB)

Firstly, this isn't Paul saying he "placed people in the Kingdom of God".

Secondly, lot's of people 'hear' the Gospel and are NOT placed in the Kingdom.

Thirdly, it's a great question. An answer is that lot's of people hear the Gospel directly from God, including Saul.

Fourthly;
John 10:27-28 My sheep listen to my voice [Jesus' voice not Paul], and I know them, and they follow me. And I [Jesus not Paul] give them eternal life, and they will never perish forever, and no one [including Apollos] will seize them out of my hand.

"13 But we will not boast beyond our measure, but within the measure of the sphere which God apportioned to us as a measure, to reach even as far as you." (2 Corinthians 10:13 NASB)

Firstly, once again, this doesn't say Paul places people in the kingdom.

Secondly, Paul's not even talking about their salvation. He's talking about reaching their geographic location and bringing the Gospel. Then moving on, BTW.

Thirdly, Paul recognizes his limits in this very passage just as he does in 1 Cor 3. Again neither you or JLB have even attempted to comment on: 1 Corinthians 3:7 So then, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who is causing it to grow.

Fourthly, Paul also in his 2nd letter says who's actually doing the placing in the building.

2 Corinthians 10:18 For it is not the one commending himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.​

4 Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God..." (2 Corinthians 3:4-5 NASB)

That's my point. People's adequacy for their salvation comes from God, and God alone. I have no idea why you'd even mention this verse when you're trying to say that it's people like Paul that can place people in the Kingdom.

2 Corinthians 3:6 2 Corinthians 5:11 who also makes us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter, but of the Spirit, for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Chessman said -

Thirdly, Paul recognizes his limits in this very passage just as he does in 1 Cor 3. Again neither you or JLB have even attempted to comment on: 1 Corinthians 3:7 So then, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who is causing it to grow.

Yes I clearly showed you that God caused the growth right up to the time the person stopped believing.

Let's do it again -

7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 1 Corinthians 3:7

The seed is planted, and begins to grow, this is the work of the one who planted and the one who waters.

God gives the increase, whereby the plant sprouts from the seed and grows...

13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. Luke 8:13

Now, temptation to turn away because of persecution, arises and the believer stops believing...

The believer who enjoyed the increase from God, has now become an unbeliever.

The only way the believer will continue to grow and continue to increase if he continues to believe.

JLB

13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. Luke 8:13

JLB
This parable is about bearing fruit in maturity. Last time I noticed both wheat and barley plants die out each year. The question is do they grow to maturity enough to bare fruit. Only one soil didn't sprout a plant.

Have you thought any more about Paul's statement here?:

This parable is about bearing fruit in maturity. Last time I noticed both wheat and barley plants die out each year. The question is do they grow to maturity enough to bare fruit. Only one soil didn't sprout a plant.

You think?

12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

My bible says believe and be saved.

That's S-A-L-V-A-T-I-O-N.

JLB

In guess you didn't read my post.

Here it is again, me addressing what Paul teaches to the Corinthian Church, and how that builds upon the foundational truth that Jesus taught.

7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 1 Corinthians 3:7

The seed is planted, and begins to grow, this is the work of the one who planted and the one who waters.

Now, temptation to turn away because of persecution, arises and the believer stops believing...

The increase is given as long as the believing continues.

No tickee, No wroundry!

No faith, no substance of the thing hoped for...

JLB

Firstly, this isn't Paul saying he "placed people in the Kingdom of God".
9 "For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building." (1 Corinthians 3:9 NASB)

See? Paul is not doing a different work than God. And the passage plainly says his work, which is also God's work, will be tested by fire on the Day of Christ. Whether or not that work completed remains in Christ and makes it through the fire is what determines if God's fellow worker gets a reward for his labor, or not.

Secondly, lot's of people 'hear' the Gospel and are NOT placed in the Kingdom.
Which makes the Matthew 18:41-42 passage all the more troublesome for your doctrine:

"41 "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, 42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. " (Matthew 13:41-42 NASB)

Thirdly, it's a great question. An answer is that lot's of people hear the Gospel directly from God, including Saul.
Which means there is no fellow worker of God to get praise and exultation for working with God to do that. But it does mean even this work will still be tested by fire on the Day of Christ. There's just no loss or gain of reward involved for God's fellow workers.

Fourthly;
John 10:27-28 My sheep listen to my voice [Jesus' voice not Paul], and I know them, and they follow me. And I [Jesus not Paul] give them eternal life, and they will never perish forever, and no one [including Apollos] will seize them out of my hand.
Keep being a sheep, through faith in Christ, and this is indeed true of you...you will never perish. This is what the whole context of scripture teaches. You can't lift this one passage out of context of the whole Bible and insist it shows once you believe you are forever saved no matter what.

Firstly, once again, this doesn't say Paul places people in the kingdom.
Paul is not doing a different work than God:

9 "For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building." (1 Corinthians 3:9 NASB)

Secondly, Paul's not even talking about their salvation. He's talking about reaching their geographic location and bringing the Gospel. Then moving on, BTW.
Perhaps it occurred to you somewhere along the line in reading your Bible that Paul is also a builder of the building that sits on the foundation of Christ that he laid among the Corinthians, his letters showing us that is (obviously) true.

Paul is not doing a different work than God:

He is the person through which God is doing the work of building the building of God. What that person built will be tested by fire on the Day of Christ. If what that person built is made of things that can withstand fire the person doing God's work will receive the reward for his labor in crafting that which remains on the foundation of Christ before and after the fire.

Fourthly, Paul also in his 2nd letter says who's actually doing the placing in the building.

2 Corinthians 10:18 For it is not the one commending himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.​

That's my point. People's adequacy for their salvation comes from God, and God alone. I have no idea why you'd even mention this verse when you're trying to say that it's people like Paul that can place people in the Kingdom.

2 Corinthians 3:6 2 Corinthians 5:11 who also makes us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter, but of the Spirit, for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

You can't just decide that what Paul is doing is a different work than what God is doing because you have a predetermined doctrine that says 'God's work can not be tested by fire on the Day of Wrath, therefore, the work being tested by fire can't be God's work'.

The passage plainly tells us Paul is God's co-worker doing the work of building the building of God. Just because God is the power tool in his hands doesn't mean Paul is not accomplishing different work than God and that it is this supposedly different work, not God's, that is going to be tested by fire at the end of the age on the Day of Christ.

Last edited:
In guess you didn't read my post.

JLB
I read it. I just don't see how it explains your justification for thinking it's people's work that fundamentally places others in the Building of God. Or how a believer that stops believing (if any do) means Apollos or Paul lose out on reward.

JLB
Well I agree. Planters plant, waterers water and the increaser causes the increase (the growth). That's my point. Yet you guys are implying the planter get's reward or lose of reward based on someone else's job description (the growers).

In the parable it's God doing all that, BTW. In fact, there were no apostles or ministers yet (except God) since it was prior to Easter. Paul was still Saul, yet the building was well under way. Paul gives the credit to God for the increase and even calls himself nothing in that regard. He's the one that says God gives the increase and says neither himself or Apollos or anyone else are anything.

You've still not explained what Paul means by that verse. You just keep reposting it.

Paul planted the Seed of the Gospel all over the place and Apollos watered those plants (both of them as fellow workers) as the plants sprouted and were growing to maturity in Corinth. Both in accordance with God's directions to them. They were His servants, worked/labored well and deserved reward for that work/labor, regardless of the response in Corinth. The other's belief is up to them (and God), not Paul.

In some places that Paul went, the seed sprouted roots (because God, through His Spirit, caused it to be so) and plants sprouted (as in soils 2-4) because God is the one that causes the growth. In some places the soil didn't produce any plants at all, much less bare any seeds (soil #1). But that wasn't Paul's or Apollos' fault, it was the pesky old bird's and the soils #1's-3's fault. Paul and Apollos did their assigned jobs well, either way.

Luke 8:13

JLB
okay. However, once again though I'm not sure how that makes Paul's work or Apollos' work any more or less rewardable. They aren't the persecuters. And it certainly doesn't support Paul's or Apollos' reward being dependent on the believers that stop believing (if any do). You said it was the believer that stopped believing not Apollos, right?

There's nothing about this Parable that supports your answer to the OP question. Even if you think a plant dying (pre-mature, immature or after maturing) is symbolic of a person loosing their salvation, it has nothing to do with Apollos' work effort in the parable.

Chessman said -

Paul planted the Seed of the Gospel all over the place

Paul Planted Churches all over the place.

He preferred to make disciples of those whom he preached the Gospel to, rather that build on another man's foundation.

It doesn't mean he wouldn't disciple others who were saved under another ministry, but as he said -

And so I have made it my aim to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build on another man's foundation, Romans 15:20

Paul stayed for years in one city and preached and made disciples. He would raise up a Church in a city.

He counted many as "sons" that he beget through the Gospel.

As a master builder, Paul would build these men into men of God, and have them pattern their life after his example.

This work, that Paul partnered with God in, was to be built according to the Image of God's Son.

This work is a little more than just planting seed.

This work is typified in the Old Testament by a man named Bezalel. He was entrusted with these skills to build the Tabernacle.

1 Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 2 "See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. 3 And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, 4 to design artistic works, to work in gold, in silver, in bronze, 5 in cutting jewels for setting, in carving wood, and to work in all manner of workmanship.
Exodus 31:1-4

and again

30 And Moses said to the children of Israel, "See, the Lord has called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah; 31 and He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom and understanding, in knowledge and all manner of workmanship, 32 to design artistic works, to work in gold and silver and bronze, 33 in cutting jewels for setting, in carving wood, and to work in all manner of artistic workmanship. 34 And He has put in his heart the ability to teach, in him and Aholiab the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan. 35 He has filled them with skill to do all manner of work of the engraver and the designer and the tapestry maker, in blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine linen, and of the weaver--those who do every work and those who design artistic works. Exodus 35:30-35

These were types and shadows that Paul learned from as He had no New Testament to go by, but these examples from the Old Testament.

Bezalel comes from the root word that means - Shadow

JLB

See? Paul is not doing a different work than God.

What you don't seem to be grasping is that it's God's building (not Paul's building). God owns the building, not Paul or Apollos.

In fact, Paul says God owns him and Apollos. They are God's (possessive) workers. And Paul himself says that it's God causing the increase. Because that's true.

Whether or not that work completed remains in Christ and makes it through the fire is what determines if God's fellow worker gets a reward for his labor, or not.

Whether or not that work completed remains in Christ and makes it through the fire is what determines who you think God is and how well God works.

Paul stayed for years in one city and preached and made disciples. He would raise up a Church in a city.

JLB

Yes. He also fled Damascus by way of a basket at night. But that's not the point. Let's take Paul's conversion for example. Who do you think "placed" Paul in the building? God or Ananias? Who get's the reward?

Acts 9:17, 31 So Ananias departed and entered into the house, and placing his hands on him, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you came, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”

Then the church throughout all of Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace, being strengthened. And living in the fear of the Lord and the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, it was increasing in numbers.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back