Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When did the Church begin?

Do you believe the Church began on the day of Pentecost?

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Hopeful

Please share the scripture you have for this.
Firstly, they weren't even called Christians till Acts 11.
Secondly, it was the Jewish "church" before Jesus was resurrected, so technically wasn't the "church" I belong to.
Thirdly, until Jesus was killed, we could not be baptized into Him. (Rom 6:3-7)

Please share the scripture you have for this.
Firstly, they weren't even called Christians till Acts 11.
Secondly, it was the Jewish "church" before Jesus was resurrected, so technically wasn't the "church" I belong to.
Thirdly, until Jesus was killed, we could not be baptized into Him. (Rom 6:3-7)

“The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. Luke 16:16
JLB
Amen to that, but they could not "press into something" that was not yet provided...that being the body of Christ.

But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. Romans 8:9
  • Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His
A person would need to have the Spirit of Christ in them before they are Christ’s.
JLB
Yes indeed.
But the Spirit will not abide in an unclean temple.
We are the temple, and must be washed of past sin by the blood of Christ to be deemed fit for the Spirit's abode.

When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
Then He commanded His disciples that they should tell no one that He was Jesus the Christ. Matthew 16:13-20

• And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

What is the church?

What is the requirement to be a part of the Church?

JLB

We are washed and sanctified by the Lord, through believing the Gospel.
If we believe, why not believe what Peter said to the Jews on the day of Pentecost?
They said..."What shall we do?"
Peter replied..."Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38)
I believe that.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, Ephesians 5:25
Accomplished after repentance from sin, at baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

Yes indeed.
We are the temple, and must be washed of past sin by the blood of Christ to be deemed fit for the Spirit's abode.

How does that happen?

If we believe, why not believe what Peter said to the Jews on the day of Pentecost?
Peter replied..."Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38)
I believe that.

What do you believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ is?

JLB

I believe that.

And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” Galatians 3:8

Was Abraham justified by faith the same way we are?

JLB

Yes indeed.

So if the Spirit abides in a person then they are clean, right?

Or do you call unclean what God says is clean?

JLB

Amen to that, but they could not "press into something" that was not yet provided...that being the body of Christ.

The scripture says everyone was pressing into the kingdom of God.

“The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. Luke 16:16

JLB

How does that happen?
As Peter said in Acts 2:38, by "baptism for the remission of sins in the name of Jesus Christ".
And as Ananias said to Paul in Acts 22:18, "And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord."

Baptism isn’t mentioned in Ephesians 5:25
JLB
No it isn't, but in the next verse it is..."Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,"
Sanctified, cleansed by a washing of water by the word.
Jesus was the Word.
His blood is what sanctifies us.
It is written..."And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." (1 John 5:8)
The Spirit, the blood, and the water are all one and the same.
Our baptism into Christ, using water, is also the cleansing by blood written of in 1 John 1:7..."But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” Galatians 3:8
Was Abraham justified by faith the same way we are?
JLB
He believed and acted faithfully on that belief.
We do the same.

To continue in this line...do you believe we are tested the same way Abraham was?

The scripture says everyone was pressing into the kingdom of God.
JLB
Yes, the kingdom of God.
I wonder how many of them realized they would need to cast off the kingdom they were leaving behind?

The church began at Pentecost, Acts 2. Peter, as the other Apostles, was given the keys to the kingdom (church) (Mt 16:18-19). Peter used these keys to "unlock" the door of the kingdom telling people how to enter the kingdom (Acts 2:38) to the Jews first in Acts 2 and then the Gentiles (Acts 10:47-48). Those obedient in submitting to water baptism (saved) were added to the church, (Acts 2:47), the body of the saved (Eph 5:23).

"THOSE THAT WERE SAVED"-Seeing that the Church is purchased with the blood of Christ (Acts 20:28); and the blood of Christ is associated with the remission of sins (Matthew 26:28); and baptism is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38); it makes perfect sense that the Lord immediately adds to the Church (the blood bought body) those who accept the gospel and are baptized (come into contact with the benefits of Christ's death)." Dunagan Comm.

The church began at Pentecost, Acts 2. Peter, as the other Apostles, was given the keys to the kingdom (church) (Mt 16:18-19). Peter used these keys to "unlock" the door of the kingdom telling people how to enter the kingdom (Acts 2:38) to the Jews first in Acts 2 and then the Gentiles (Acts 10:47-48). Those obedient in submitting to water baptism (saved) were added to the church, (Acts 2:47), the body of the saved (Eph 5:23).

"THOSE THAT WERE SAVED"-Seeing that the Church is purchased with the blood of Christ (Acts 20:28); and the blood of Christ is associated with the remission of sins (Matthew 26:28); and baptism is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38); it makes perfect sense that the Lord immediately adds to the Church (the blood bought body) those who accept the gospel and are baptized (come into contact with the benefits of Christ's death)." Dunagan Comm.
Agreed, but don't forget repentance from sin is also a necessity.

Back