Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where are the miracles?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
God is still with us Dashboard and miracles do still happen. Sometimes we have to wait for them, or sometimes we ask for the wrong things.
God knows what is best for us and the right time to do things. It can be a testing time so hold on to that faith of yours. It strengthens our faith and also our patience and perserverance.
You will cone through it Dashboard keep on talking to The Lord and tell Him everything in your heart.
God Bless you.

The Bible is full of extraordinary events. People were raised from the dead, seas were parted, water turned into wine. Where are the miracles of today? Where is God in modern times?
I think one difference is found in our faith. We don't see miracles because we are blind to them, even those that appear right in front of us.

I participate in a men's gospel chorus. Our chorus began almost 30 years ago when three of my neighbors attended a Promise Keepers event and afterwards decided it would be fun to get together just to sing hymns and songs. I joined the group in 1994. As the years went by we grew to over 35 men. We got together once a month to practice and were asked to perform at various events around the area maybe a half dozen times per year. It was a lot of fun getting together.

One of those three original men, Rick, was serving as our director and his wife was our pianist. About 10 years ago Rick was driving to work and began to notice a twitch in his right leg. Suddenly, his right leg went straight like a cramp forcing his foot to push the throttle to the floor. He was unable to control the steering wheel without great difficulty. He was driving on a relatively busy 2-lane state highway swerving in and out of the oncoming traffic eventually ending up in the ditch. He missed a power pole by inches and fortunately the snow was deep enough that the car got stuck. One motorist saw it happen and when she got to his car the engine was racing at high velocity with the wheels spinning. It was diagnosed that he suffered a grand mal seizure due to a cancerous tumor the size of a baseball they found in his brain. The doctors said it was a very aggressive cancer and they predicted that he two weeks to a month to live.

He told us this story about what happened a couple weeks after the car accident at one of our men's chorus practices. As a group we gathered around him together, laid hands on him, and prayed for him. A month later he was still around and able to lead our next practice. His wife told us a story that sticks in my mind to this day. Apparently he was in their bathroom at home when suddenly she heard him exclaim, "I'm going to live! I'm going to live!" He said he was praying and suddenly got this premonition that he had a job to do. From that day on he was able to use these turn of events to share the gospel with people around him.

Over the next year or so the tumor began to mysteriously disintegrate and the doctors had no explanation. He regained his strength and was able to continue directing us until about two years ago when his health began a downward trend. He is now wheelchair bound and barely able to speak but he will tell you that he felt blessed to have been able to live so many years past that initial prognosis.

some miracles, such as those one sees in The Gospels and then in The book of Acts, -seem- to have been limited to that era. And yet...

I do believe that The Lord intervenes in day to day life for us, now, today. Personal example: I'm 36. A bit over 15 years ago, I was at the tail end of 20, in a private, for profit mental hospital. All kinds of horrible stuff happened, because...psych hospitals, whatever...anyway...

I got my + test result for HIV+ in that hospital. no treatment offered, no counseling about options, no referrals. In fact, the hospital wanted me in a -homeless shelter- , because (social darwinism) they...I dunno...

I didn't go to the homeless shelter. I also -never- received --any-- standard treatment for HIV+. Predictably, I got extremely sick...then I was patched up, but still a broken shell of a human being, at all levels...

a tad over 8 years ago, I got genuinely saved. Jesus dealt with me, I cried out for forgiveness. Now? well...still, --no treatment-- for HIV+ (did I Mention that the medical establishment is authoritarian and can be extremely cruel? yeah...), but...

at 36, I look about 30. I'm actually -- wait for it, wait for it -- healthy. Despite being overweight, I even have good blood pressure, and I'm going to do labs (not HIV-related) for normal stuff...liver, kidneys, thyroid, etc..... soon, so I'll see what those show.

Usually, untreated HIV+ = 7-10 +/- years before a descent into what some nations term "late stage HIV" and other still call AIDS. Based on my history, I'm guessing that I was infected somewhere between 17-19 years old, so I really should have 'expired' (eek!) anywhere from 7-9 years ago, but...

-shrug- healthy. I'm even surprisingly smart, now, despite involuntary shock treatments, a blow to the head during an assault, over-medication by wayward psychiatrists, and my own abuse of a high doses of prescription uppers (adderall) and downers (klonopin and ativan, mostly). I was estimated to have a 120 IQ at 'baseline' (120= smart enough for a 4 year degree, bright, etc.), dipped (predictably...) to about 95+/- (basically, with 100 as median, slightly below normal to normal, with obvious brain damage and cognitive impairments), and now...

my running IQ estimate (based I think on stuff I wrote...long, long, long story...) is somewhere around 145-150. not that I"m a super mega genius, but...having a "high IQ (estimate)" -with- Schizophrenia= being able to be more autonomous, lower doses of the antipsychotic, better understanding of the world around me. the only downside is that "high IQ Schizophrenics" apparently have a high risk of severe depression, as a group.

ok. ramble, ramble... point is, The Lord still works in peoples' lives. the -nature- of His work in individuals' lives may have changed somewhat, but the -themes- of His work (forgiveness, reconciliation, restoration, '...be ye transformed, by the renewal of your mind...') remain the same. :)

((sorry this was so long. thanks for reading)) :)

Whether it's the parting of the sea or God sending us His angels to surround us in times of great need in protecting us from that which we can not foresee, but wonder how we came out of something unscathed, plus His healing power mentally, physically, spiritually as needs are met, these are the miracles of God that have always been and will always be.

The Bible is full of extraordinary events. People were raised from the dead, seas were parted, water turned into wine. Where are the miracles of today? Where is God in modern times?
You say you are not a Christian.
Then you still have the greatest miracle of all awaiting you.
The day you choose to receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
And then get filled with the Holy Spirit.

Where are the miracles of today?
Same place as the Apostolic Dedication to take the WORD into the world. The early disciples weren't "get together for an hour once a week" types. Miracles carry a RESPONSIBILITY to disseminate the story, and reach folks for the Lord. The casual church of 2021 won't SEE many miracles until their dedication increases exponentially, and they come to repentance.

Same place as the Apostolic Dedication to take the WORD into the world. The early disciples weren't "get together for an hour once a week" types. Miracles carry a RESPONSIBILITY to disseminate the story, and reach folks for the Lord. The casual church of 2021 won't SEE many miracles until their dedication increases exponentially, and they come to repentance.
I'm glad you didn't address that to me because it makes no sense.

God is still with us Dashboard and miracles do still happen. Sometimes we have to wait for them, or sometimes we ask for the wrong things.
God knows what is best for us and the right time to do things. It can be a testing time so hold on to that faith of yours. It strengthens our faith and also our patience and perserverance.
You will cone through it Dashboard keep on talking to The Lord and tell Him everything in your heart.
God Bless you.
I’ve tried talking to God. I pray but it feels like I’m praying to emptiness. I don’t see any change or anything that is wrong in my life eased in any way. I feel like he’s not there

You say you are not a Christian.
Then you still have the greatest miracle of all awaiting you.
The day you choose to receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
And then get filled with the Holy Spirit.
I’m not sure what I am. A fallen Catholic with lots of doubt maybe? I kind of believe I guess, I try to talk to God but nothing changes in my life, and I see no evidence of miracles or extraordinary things God is doing in the world. I wish I did

I’ve tried talking to God. I pray but it feels like I’m praying to emptiness. I don’t see any change or anything that is wrong in my life eased in any way. I feel like he’s not there
We can feel like that when we are going through very hard times. Don't let satan deceive you, God is definitely there. You have to hang on, He hears you so don't stop talking to Him. He will carry you through this, just believe, no matter how you feel. All of a sudden a light will shine. Sometimes we think the suffering will never end, but eventually it does.
Trust Hin Dashboatd, something will happen. Before I started this post i prayed for you. I asked God to let you know He is with you and to guide you into what He wants you to do. I believe God heard and will answer that prayer. Just believe no matter how you feel, no matter what is happening God loves you.
Miracles still happen I have seen it.

As it is written "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God". Read and sooner or later a verse or verses will begin jumping out at your heart. The Word does not return void because it is alive....the living Word. If you have trouble then listen to it as and app on your phone/Ipod/ whatever. Again it will come alive as He speaks to YOU. We are instructed to seek and knock so we can find the opened door. Be patient in your walk, but keep walking. It is a path worth taking. It's the ONLY path worth taking. May the Lord honor/bless your endeavor to commune with Him. Praying for you.

Where is God in modern times

Where he always is. Start following the Barnaby's fund, which reports on what is happening to Christians around the world and often to new Christians.

Ask yourself, why did these people become Christian and why do they stay when life would be so much easier if they weren't Christian?

Look up the christianityexplored web site and find a church in your area. Contact them and start attending there services.
It is a simple way of investigating Christianity.

Where he always is. Start following the Barnaby's fund, which reports on what is happening to Christians around the world and often to new Christians.

Ask yourself, why did these people become Christian and why do they stay when life would be so much easier if they weren't Christian?

Look up the christianityexplored web site and find a church in your area. Contact them and start attending there services.
It is a simple way of investigating Christianity.
And the Voice of the Martyrs magazine has good stories of today's Christians on the spiritual front lines around the world.

Matthew 10:8 King James Version

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Yeshua/Jesus gave the twelve disciples Powers. Therefore, it must follow that there are no real disciples.

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Yeshua/Jesus gave the twelve disciples Powers. Therefore, it must follow that there are no real disciples.
Not sure what you mean by no real disciples as we are all disciples of Christ working through God's power and authority just as the twelve did as we, like the twelve have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that works in us and through us.

Hi Elihoenai
Are you saying there are no miracles today? I'm not sure what you mean.

Not sure what you mean by no real disciples as we are all disciples of Christ working through God's power and authority just as the twelve did as we, like the twelve have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that works in us and through us.

Acts 9:36-42 King James Version

36 Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did.

37 And it came to pass in those days, that she was sick, and died: whom when they had washed, they laid her in an upper chamber.

38 And forasmuch as Lydda was nigh to Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent unto him two men, desiring him that he would not delay to come to them.

39 Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come, they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by him weeping, and shewing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them.

40 But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up.

41 And he gave her his hand, and lifted her up, and when he had called the saints and widows, presented her alive.

42 And it was known throughout all Joppa; and many believed in the Lord.

When stating no real disciples, I'm including myself and would never make comparisons with the original disciples or apostles. We have heard of the real cost of true discipleship.

Are you saying that you can heal the sick, cleanse lepers, raise the dead and cast out devils?

Hi Elihoenai
Are you saying there are no miracles today? I'm not sure what you mean.
Hi Tessa,

Revelation 19:20 King James Version

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Yes! Given that there are no real disciples, than there cannot be any genuine miracles today. Do you know of any sect that are performing miracles?

Back