Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Which Translation is the best.

futurism yes as it is taught in some circles. some teach that others just skirt around the issue. but martyr isn't a futurist. no futurist believed that the resurrection(he says resurrection of the saints no rapture) in his dialogues. was after the millennium.

Anyway I guess I'm more into Darby and Scofield. Darby's Synopsis and the Scofield Bible sell well. Blessings.

The first was the 1909 edition..... Grandpa's Bible and it is in the family... Mine is a 1967 edition.
I would suggest reading the parable of wheat and comparing the Words of our Lord to the words of Scofield in the quote below
The gathering of the tares into bundles for burning does not imply immediate judgment. At the end of this age (Mat 13:40) the tares are set apart for burning, but first the wheat is gathered into the barn. (Joh 14:3); (Th1 4:14-17).

The first was the 1909 edition..... Grandpa's Bible and it is in the family... Mine is a 1967 edition.
I would suggest reading the parable of wheat and comparing the Words of our Lord to the words of Scofield in the quote below

Interesting; I wonder who edited it meantime: Oxford University Press or other folks?

Blessings.

That information is available on line ... ...

I should poke around, then, on the Web... :)

Not that it makes much of a difference in terms of dispensationalism. There is no such thing as Cyrus Ingersoll Scofield speaking ex cathedra...

Blessings.

I should poke around, then, on the Web... :)

Not that it makes much of a difference in terms of dispensationalism. There is no such thing as Cyrus Ingersoll Scofield speaking ex cathedra...

Blessings.
some think that he does.try preterism and challenge that mans beliefs and you will see. some say you say but they wont listen. and just wonder how those like us could be so blind to the "signs"

Mason...I could tell you were a preacher with your post #23 on this thread. Very political response to the "which bible" question and the use of the word season.

Hmmm...
1) Good to know that my first impression is that people think I'm a minister, thanks!
2) I was not aware that my comments had an association with a political party. I'll have to type more carefully next time.

God bless!

Hmmm...
1) Good to know that my first impression is that people think I'm a minister, thanks!
2) I was not aware that my comments had an association with a political party. I'll have to type more carefully next time.

God bless!

Andrew Mason: Hi there; actually I had not figured that your comments had any connection with Polly Ticks, either; but if you see Ms Ticks, do say Hi to her from the folks on the forums.

Blessings.

Hmmm...

God bless!

Not political as in a political party. Political in the sense as to not offend anyone using any particular translation. Sorry about the confusion.

i love reading with the holy spirit version ie the acts of the holy spirit through those set apart as apostles called to manifest gods will on the earth.

Our local church is small, too. A lot of us use the King James, though not everyone necessarily.

Blessings.

I read both Greek and Hebrew. In Hebrew last year, we did word for word translations, then compared them to various versions. ESV came up as the best option every time. KJV is nice for fancy language, but I really found it impossible to read all that early modern English, and it doesn't hold up against the original languages. I have a United Bible Societies Greek Bible which has ALL the variations on the early manuscripts. Sadly, KJV used mostly later manuscripts which had been corrupted by Greek scribes. They loved to "embellish" the text. So Textus Receptus is really not the best use of the earliest manuscripts. As far as a version for a young boy, I like the suggestion to use Biblegateway.com. You can compare 5 versions at once, and change them at your leisure. They also have Greek versions there. If he is looking for word to word literalism, he is best to stick to ESV. If he is looking for a more dynamic translation, I would suggest looking at very modern versions like The Message. Of course, you do need to compare, as sometimes Eugene Peterson does tend to stretch things. I am in a Bible study with over 100 pastors, missionaries and Seminary profs, (mostly Baptist) and the Message is the choice by far. Of course, these people all know the Bible like the back of their hands, including the original languages, so when they find something interesting, they like to share.

In the end, reading the Bible means praying and being led by the Holy Spirit each day. As for NIV, never found a version I disliked more!

Back