Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Why not call Mary the mother of God and Queen of heaven

So, if we do that then why not call Mary the mother of God or better yet why are we bothered is another does? since we are just as guilty as they for doing the same thing with the building and the pastor and the tithe.

Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa I don't ;)

Henry said:
Thessalonian

People call buidlings churches all the time, you ask what church do you go to and they say the one on such a and such street.

The early church did not have a buidling that was designated as the church, they merely met in homes, and that was the way it was untill constintine instatuntionalized it.

Look, if you "go to church" then you are not doing what the early church did, they did not go to what they WHERE. And we can not GO to what are ARE.

Now, people will say they understand that we are the church, but yet when asked they still refere to a pile of decorated bricks.

As far as I am concerned they could tear them all down and we would be much better off.

As one writer said "It would have been far better that we never sat in a pew, there is so much to unlearn"

And what makes it even worse is that the church building is not even a christian idea, it is totally pagan.

Good post, Henry. Glad to see you again. :D

Thessalonian said:
Heidi,

Mary is the creators work. God did great things for HER! He called her "mother of my Lord" through elizabeth. All contradictiosn to your words. Speaking of Mary as the Mother of God gives him credit for bringing the full wonder of the incarnation about. God was born of a woman. Not a body separate from God. She carried him in her womb for 9 months. He was God during that time. She gave birth to him. He was God at that moment as well. And he grew in wisdom and grace under her care. Sounds like a mother to me. This has nothing to do with God being created by Mary if that is what you are thinking.

First of all, you have no clue what David means when he said; "And the Lord said to my Lord..." if you did, then you would know the difference between Father and Son. Jesus does.

And since Mary is the creaotr's work, then why not give the credit to our creator for Mary's work instead of Mary? :o Do you give credit to yourself for God's work? :-? And why build statues to her and say she was a virgin all her life which clearly contradicts the bible. And to say she was born sinless, the bible says; "For all have fallen short of the glory of God." It does not say "For all but Mary have fallen short of the glory of God." Sorry.

Henry said:
Heidi

I was not really asking why we do not call Mary the mother of God, I know that it is totally not biblical and is really not a good thing to do.
On the contrary, the bible says "Mother of my Lord." We know that "our Lord" is God, so by extension, she was saying "mother of my God."
This is under the logic if a=b and b=c, then a=c.

Henry said:
...thing is an argument of mans logic, out side the bible. Saying she gave birth to Jesus and Jesus is God and so she is the mother of God.
Translation: Let's not let a silly little thing like airtight logic get in the way of knee-jerk reactionarianism.

Henry said:
I used that only to bring up the point that while we may call out some on things like that, we are just as guilty.

The church building the Sr.pastor the tithe and all are the same sorts of things, they are not found in the bible but what we do is take some verses and then use them as part of a circular argument to justify them.
Tithe is scriptural, but it is dubious in application to the Christian. Tithing would provide for all of the material, administrative and staffing needs of any church, plus leave money for local and foreign mission, though, so tithing is a good thing, as long as it is taught as voluntary and without reward (it is reward in itself).

The role of senior pastor is clearly laid out biblically and historically, though he would be known as 'elder who rules' in distinction from elder/prevyteros. If you would like, I can lay out significant biblical proof.

Henry said:
So, if we do that then why not call Mary the mother of God or better yet why are we bothered is another does? since we are just as guilty as they for doing the same thing with the building and the pastor and the tithe.
Your "we" is somewhat disingenuous, since we know that you have declared yourself independent from such practices- but your point is essentially reasonable: don't point out the speck when you have a beam.

Henry said:
LOL the funny part is that Mary as the mother of God actually has more biblical backing, then those things. Wrong yes, but there more verses to back it the the idea of a pastor lead church in a building.
I'd agree that there is ample biblical proof for Mary as mother of God, as long as we understand what that means and what it doesn't mean. We Orthodox prefer the title Theotokos, which means 'bearer of God.'
That, to anyone who believes in the divinity of Christ, is undeniably true.

Church buildings:
There was no need of Church building until the Christians were thrown out of the synagogues. They met in synagogues throughout the first generation, and I assure you, synagogues were both group and building.
After the Bar Kochba revolt, and the anathemization of the Christian sect, one begins to see homes altered to accomodate large groups. In the mid to late 2nd century, there were already church buildings in various parts of the empire. Many were destroyed in the later persecutions.

Henry, your historical sources are lacking and biased. Sacred spaces began with the stone that Jacob laid his head upon, found shape Moses' tabernacle, found grandeur in Solomon's Temple, found utility in the synagogues, and have found both utility and grandeur in the Christian era.
God is worthy of such worship.

And please don't tell me how there's not enough money for the poor and the beauty of God's house. It's not money that is lacking, but love for God and love for His children. Tithing Christians could meet all the needs around us.

Henry said:
Heidi

I was not really asking why we do not call Mary the mother of God, I know that it is totally not biblical and is really not a good thing to do.

The whole thing is an argument of mans logic, out side the bible. Saying she gave birth to Jesus and Jesus is God and so she is the mother of God.

I used that only to bring up the point that while we may call out some on things like that, we are just as guilty.

The church building the Sr.pastor the tithe and all are the same sorts of things, they are not found in the bible but what we do is take some verses and then use them as part of a circular argument to justify them.

LOL the funny part is that Mary as the mother of God actually has more biblical backing, then those things. Wrong yes, but there more verses to back it the the idea of a pastor lead church in a building.

Jesus is the Son of God as he himself claims. He also said ;"For the Father is greater than I." God was not conceived by a human and himself. He has always been and always will be. Therefore, Jesus himself acknowledges the supremacy of His Father which is why He always prayed to Him. So Mary gave birth to the Son of God who as David said; is "my Lord" as opposed to "the Lord" who is the Father. John 3:16 tells us who Jesus is. :)

Back