Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Why?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Corn Pop

If the Lord is so great and sinners are saved throu free grace as Christ said he come to turn sinners to repent and all faithfull followers are offered more than the world could ever give, and its all free, then why is everyone so serious and depressed?, even the apostles. I mean just Paul seemed so depressed and stressed. Why when everyone knows the kingdom of God and future is good?

I thought everyone including the most faithful would be happy and stoked thanks to Christ, but people seem to be and have been depressed and anxious and serious.

I suffer so i dont want to be hypocrite as if im so happy or anything.

What is everything all about.

Where is the joy?

Last edited:
The strange dichotomy of being a believer for me is that things of this world rub me that never phased me before I was brought to faith. That was over 20 years ago, but I vaguely recall the ignorant joy ride my life was. That's a superficial joy, though. I remember being on a mountain top for a few years after where I experienced the highest highs, but I also felt the weight of recognizing for the first time how broken the world was/is. Garbage in the media, things that people talked about, even profane language never impacted me until I knew the Light of the world.

I believe it is the flesh that continues to keep me from that place that you are talking about. It is falling to frustration at times and forgetting that today's troubles are temporal and that He has overcome the world. Most of the time, I'd label myself as a joker. I try to keep things light with humor, but I'm certainly a heavy weight more than I need to be. Good post!

I think its impossible not to be frustrated. Even Jesus got frustrated and was tempted. I think thats the word that sums up mankind, it must be. Frustration. Thats the seed of all evil.

The kingdom of God is in us, but the kingdom of God is not our flesh.

Romans 7:25
Leaves us understanding the new mind of Christ in us, and the justified flesh that will be changed on the last day.

Both are going on. Of course some think the resurrection is already past for the flesh. The promise is complete, but the day is still to come.

Jesus is Lord

eddif

I think pain is part of God's will for our lives. Trials and tribulations build faith...not that we should pursue it, or inflict it on others, but...pain is a part of anyone's life, and in God's hands it can prove to be a good thing, something that deepens our faith and changes our outlook.

I read some CS Lewis (of course) where he wrote that agape love, God's love for us, will allow pain to see to the perfection of the object of His love. I think he compared it to a sculptor taking a chunk of whatever rock, stone and then turning it into a beautiful piece of art.

That said...there is also joy in Christ. And pain has a different feeling, a different effect, too. My own life...I was narcissistic, probably since childhood. Now, I'm not...but guess what? Severely mentally ill, and its not going away any time soon. Weird, huh? NPD to "manic depressive psychosis." I suffer...I'm stigmatized, harassed by neighbors, dependent on my (thankfully, kind+loving+financially "comfortable") parents. In this economy, people like me rarely enter the work force, certainly not at any skilled level.

But, I'm blessed through the pain. I always wanted to be a writer, and now my writing is much,, much better than before. In the depths of my NPD, I longed for meaning, purpose, emotional depth, blah blah blah...my pain and lil problems with, you know, Reality...increase my dependence upon The Lord and have also made me more 3-dimensional than when I was stuck in NPD.

Of course, there's always suffering that just hurts so much and seems pointless and cruel. I don't know what to say about that. God has a plan. His ways are higher than our ways, even when we're filled with seething rage towards Him because of our problems.

And...that is all from me. :)

Where is the joy?

You make a profound point - I recognize it as profound, because I have made it myself! :) If I were an atheist, I would not attack Christianity with the inane arguments that the New Atheists use. My challenge would be: "You say the Holy Spirit transforms the lives of those who invite Him into their lives. Where is the evidence of this transformation? If it were true, wouldn't we see clearer evidence of it within individual lives, individual churches, denominations and the religion as a whole? Wouldn't God want Christendom to be absolutely overflowing with irrefutable evidence of the Holy Spirit at work? Instead, what we see are individual Christians, churches, denominations and a religion as a whole that look almost identical to the secular society around them - and certainly no more transformed than the Buddhists, Hindus or lots of other species of believers." Christians, of course, can argue that there is evidence of this transformation, but an honest assessment of the situation forces me to the conclusion that my hypothetical atheist has a pretty strong argument. This doesn't drive me to atheism, but it does drive me to the conclusion that much of what calls itself "Christian" has nothing to do with anything Jesus was talking about.

If the Lord is so great and sinners are saved throu free grace as Christ said he come to turn sinners to repent and all faithfull followers are offered more than the world could ever give, and its all free, then why is everyone so serious and depressed?, even the apostles. I mean just Paul seemed so depressed and stressed. Why when everyone knows the kingdom of God and future is good?

I thought everyone including the most faithful would be happy and stoked thanks to Christ, but people seem to be and have been depressed and anxious and serious.

I suffer so i dont want to be hypocrite as if im so happy or anything.

Where is the joy?

As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
(Rom 8:36-37)

Paul was not depressed, He was just having people wanting to kill him at times, and it was Paul who ignored the Holy Spirit and ended up in the Roman Prison, that was Paul's fault there.

I have let myself get depressed, and it's a position of unbelief, and should not be named among us. The Joy of the Lord is our strength, no Joy, no strength.

Now if you don't know a God that always causes us to triumph, and God is mysterious, then, yea, It's time to be depressed. Most denominations preach a powerless and depressing God.

Psa_92:4 For thou, LORD, hast made me glad through thy work: I will triumph in the works of thy hands.

Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.
(2Co 2:14)

The unsaved is without God, without hope in this World. (Eph 2:12)

Brother Mike

As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
(Rom 8:36-37)

Paul was not depressed, He was just having people wanting to kill him at times, and it was Paul who ignored the Holy Spirit and ended up in the Roman Prison, that was Paul's fault there.

Could you find some supporting scripture for Paul's imprisonment being his fault? Seems to me from Acts 16 that God was using Paul to spread the Gospel to the inmates and prison guards there.

I have let myself get depressed, and it's a position of unbelief, and should not be named among us. The Joy of the Lord is our strength, no Joy, no strength.
On the contrary: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." - Matthew 5:4 ESV

I'm not saying depression is a great thing, but to say that it shouldn't be named among us is a stretch, Jesus himself was sorrowful.

"When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. And he said, “Where have you laid him?” They said to him, “Lord, come and see.” Jesus wept. So the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”" - John 11:33-36 ESV

Some of the Jews in that situation correctly observed his weeping was evidence for his love of Lazarus, and through this example we can see that sorrow is not a sin but rather it is evidence of love lost in this fallen creation, a love that will be reunited on the Last Day.

Some more scriptures:

"So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 ESV

"When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." - Psalm 34:17-18 ESV

Where is the joy?
I can have joy for myself and for all those who know the Lord.
But how can I have joy for those who do not know Him? I believe this was the burden that the Apostles all carried and the burden each of us are called to bear. It is the driving force behind the desire to bear witness and to share the Gospel. God asks us to step outside our joy in Him, feel His heart and His tears for the lost, and take action.

Could you find some supporting scripture for Paul's imprisonment being his fault? Seems to me from Acts 16 that God was using Paul to spread the Gospel to the inmates and prison guards there.

On the contrary: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." - Matthew 5:4 ESV

I'm not saying depression is a great thing, but to say that it shouldn't be named among us is a stretch, Jesus himself was sorrowful.

"When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. And he said, “Where have you laid him?” They said to him, “Lord, come and see.” Jesus wept. So the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”" - John 11:33-36 ESV

Some of the Jews in that situation correctly observed his weeping was evidence for his love of Lazarus, and through this example we can see that sorrow is not a sin but rather it is evidence of love lost in this fallen creation, a love that will be reunited on the Last Day.

Some more scriptures:

"So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 ESV

"When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." - Psalm 34:17-18 ESV

I'll Say it one more time. Depression, lack of Joy should not be named among us. If you understand what Faith is, and how we should walk, then you understand my statement. Lack of faith brings depression, and lack of Joy, because it can't see an escape. That is why people kill themselves, there does not seem to be another way out.

hardship, persecutions, insults (Using your translation) does not bring depression or lack of Joy. In fact, it's better to be weak in something, not thinking your strong so that you trust and rely on the Power of the Anointing, and not your own efforts. (Power of Christ may rest on me) So rejoice when having to do things the Lord said and you know you don't have the ability to do them and being resisted, that is when the power is the greatest, and not of yourself.

On the contrary: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." - Matthew 5:4 ESV.

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
(Mat 5:3-6)

Should we be poor in spirit? NO, we should have a strong spirit, full of nutrition by the Word.
Should be mourn? NO, we have no business morning over anything of this World, Jesus saying let the dead bury the dead.
Should we hunger for righteousness? NO, we are MADE the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus. We use to hunger for it.
Should we be meek? Yes, but bold in speaking the Word now.

We don't want to stay in a condition, that allowed us to get to our new condition.

Paul in Roman Prison:
Paul did end up in Jail a bit in Acts 16, but that is not the time I am talking about.

Grieved and sorrow;
Grieved and Sorrow is not depression or lack of joy. Jesus was not in depression when He cried, but moved by other people there hurting. There is a big difference in having compassion and being grieved of heart because you don't like what someone else is experiencing, than to be grieved and depressed yourself.

Example, when I was stuck waiting on that Tornado, It was 90 yards from me and coming my way. I was not worried, grieved and could care less. I was on my cell waiting on it to pass through talking to my wife about something else. It was hearing the other men on the CB that got my attention and the compassion of the Lord flooded me to even tears. Those men were scared, though they be men and truck drivers. It was then I took action and stopped the tornado, through compassion. Before when i got there, my thought was those grown men ought to grow a pair and stop crying like girls. I had a heart change.

I'll Say it one more time. Depression, lack of Joy should not be named among us. If you understand what Faith is, and how we should walk, then you understand my statement. Lack of faith brings depression, and lack of Joy, because it can't see an escape. That is why people kill themselves, there does not seem to be another way out.

hardship, persecutions, insults (Using your translation) does not bring depression or lack of Joy. In fact, it's better to be weak in something, not thinking your strong so that you trust and rely on the Power of the Anointing, and not your own efforts. (Power of Christ may rest on me) So rejoice when having to do things the Lord said and you know you don't have the ability to do them and being resisted, that is when the power is the greatest, and not of yourself.

From this and the rest of the post I can say I agree with you, I just needed some clarification on a couple things and you have provided that. I'll agree sorrow should not be named among us and we should be insulted when it is, so insulted that we feel the need to comfort the person feeling that sorrow and remind them of what Christ has done for them.

On the contrary: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." - Matthew 5:4 ESV.

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
(Mat 5:3-6)

Should we be poor in spirit? NO, we should have a strong spirit, full of nutrition by the Word.
Should be mourn? NO, we have no business morning over anything of this World, Jesus saying let the dead bury the dead.
Should we hunger for righteousness? NO, we are MADE the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus. We use to hunger for it.
Should we be meek? Yes, but bold in speaking the Word now.

We don't want to stay in a condition, that allowed us to get to our new condition.

Of course, I've had that explained to me this way "God loves you right where you are, but he loves you too much to let you to stay there.". Thanks for the clarification, I agree with you here.

Paul in Roman Prison:
Paul did end up in Jail a bit in Acts 16, but that is not the time I am talking about.

I should've clarified, I was using that as an example of how God could've been using Paul in prison all the other times. I was asking for a reference to a time where Paul was thrown in prison for ignoring God.

Grieved and sorrow;
Grieved and Sorrow is not depression or lack of joy. Jesus was not in depression when He cried, but moved by other people there hurting. There is a big difference in having compassion and being grieved of heart because you don't like what someone else is experiencing, than to be grieved and depressed yourself.

True, one is a selfish sorrow the other is a sorrow out of love for another. However I think this should be differentiated from clinical depression since when that is the case the brain has actually become sick and doesn't work the way it should, and there really is no reason they feel depressed except out of chemical imbalance.

Example, when I was stuck waiting on that Tornado, It was 90 yards from me and coming my way. I was not worried, grieved and could care less. I was on my cell waiting on it to pass through talking to my wife about something else. It was hearing the other men on the CB that got my attention and the compassion of the Lord flooded me to even tears. Those men were scared, though they be men and truck drivers. It was then I took action and stopped the tornado, through compassion. Before when i got there, my thought was those grown men ought to grow a pair and stop crying like girls. I had a heart change.

Issue of semantics here, I'm assuming you mean God heard your prayer and stopped the tornado?

From this and the rest of the post I can say I agree with you, I just needed some clarification on a couple things and you have provided that. I'll agree sorrow should not be named among us and we should be insulted when it is, so insulted that we feel the need to comfort the person feeling that sorrow and remind them of what Christ has done for them.

Of course, I've had that explained to me this way "God loves you right where you are, but he loves you too much to let you to stay there.". Thanks for the clarification, I agree with you here.

I should've clarified, I was using that as an example of how God could've been using Paul in prison all the other times. I was asking for a reference to a time where Paul was thrown in prison for ignoring God.

True, one is a selfish sorrow the other is a sorrow out of love for another. However I think this should be differentiated from clinical depression since when that is the case the brain has actually become sick and doesn't work the way it should, and there really is no reason they feel depressed except out of chemical imbalance.

Issue of semantics here, I'm assuming you mean God heard your prayer and stopped the tornado?

I'll address them real quick.

1) I feel sorrow for like the young man that blew his head off with those fireworks. It grieved me, because I know the spirit behind it, and I hate it. Even when people are wrong, arrogant but suffering, it still makes me ask the Lord if He wants to do anything, despite it being their fault. I am not a believer of making your bed and having to lay in it. Jesus bore our punishment so we don't have to.
As for me though, I don't get depressed, no matter what is going on. I have learned through trials that my experience is that God has never failed me one single time. Not saying God sends trials, but they do come.

2) Right, God does not love us for who we are, God loves us despite what we are. It's not His plan that we stay the way we were. (Say that real fast 20 times)

3) Paul, Disobeyed, ended up in prison.
And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.
(Act 21:4)

All the Disciples with Paul heard the Holy Spirit...... "Paul is not to go to Jerusalem"

Agubus..........The Prophet many days later...........(However you spell it.)
And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.
(Act 21:11-14)

This is what happens to a believer when they get their heart set on something and shut out the Holy Spirit. Paul loved his kinsman so much in Jerusalem, that he did not want them lost, and he had to go preach to them. We can see some of that in Romans 9. We know Paul did not get to do much work as He planed but was thrown in prison. Some folks say it was 5-7 years. Paul's ministry was not to Israel, but Paul being a pharisee and bound to the Lord Jesus, just had to go and try to share the truth, even if it cost him his life.
Praise God, that He is full of Mercy. Paul himself was warned, your going to prison.

That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
(Rom 9:2-4)

Holy Spirit already warned Paul in Acts 20..........
And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there: Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
(Act 20:22-23)
Bound in spirit, is Paul's own spirit bound to his kinsmen in Jerusalem. He is set on going.

God warns Paul 2 more times. 1 time through the Disciples, the other through Agabus.
DON'T GO!!

I hope this helps.

4) Clinical depression: Chemical imbalance?
We don't wrestle against flesh and blood. Mental illness comes from thinking wrong thoughts, and people just don't wake one day a complete lunatic. It starts with a thought that needs meditated on, and the devil will continue with the same thought if we give it place.

Look at Job.The devil started with a thought............ "YOU know Job, if you curse God, you die. Job, your kids might be cursing God at those parties. You might loose you kids Job."
We see Satan use that theme with God.............. Job will curse you to your face.
We see Job's wife use that theme..............."Why hold onto your integrity.... Curse God and die"

This is how Satan had gotten a rightful place, Plus Job's constant fear of the Sabeans and Chaldeans.

Scripture says we are to cast down every thought and imagination that exalts itself against the Word of God and bring it unto captivity and obedience in Christ Jesus. (Not sure where that's at....... 2 Cor 10:5?)

If Scripture says we can cast down thoughts, and scripture says think on these things, what is lovely, and good report, and scripture says be ye transformed by the renewing of our mind........ Then it can't be about Chemical imbalances. There is nothing in Scripture God said do, that man can't do.
Now, if there is a spirit enforcing the oppression, this is where you and I come in, and tell it to go. That will allow a person if they want to recover themselves out of the hand of the devil, to be free enough to get some light and help..

5) Tornadoes!!!!
Tornadoes is not something you pray about. I did not pray to God, or ask God a thing. There is a time to pray, a time to command, a time to praise. Tornadoes fall into the command category.

Now your Lord stood up and rebuked the storm, saying "Peace be still" BAM, all quite.
You see what your Lord did, he rebuked a storm as if it could hear him.
Now, that is your Lord, whom your going to be a minister for, and you ought to follow His example when things like tornadoes come up, or you could have a short time here on earth.

Peter's Mother in-law, Jesus Rebuked a fever. Jesus was under impression that fever's have ears.

There is a time to pray, and a time to just speak.

"Lord, please protect us through this tornado" will most likely get you killed. Your not doing, what Your Lord showed you to do, So you won't get the results you were hoping to get.

We don't do things the way we want, we are suppose to follow Jesus. A lot of the Church is doing things they want through religion, and it is just powerless junk. We Obey, and follow him.

What I said......... "Tornado, you go around all these trunks in front of me and behind me, you will not damage one truck, neither cause any loss of life or equipment in the name of My Lord Jesus."

What happened next, even shocked me, though it should not have. The trucks in front of me (I think about 8 on the side of I20) started yelling on the CB as the Tornado was only 50 yards from hitting them...... It vanished!!! The CB came alive. Where it go. The wind stopped, the hail stopped everything stopped.

Now, if there is any amount of fear in you..................... don't try it. Fear is the connecting force to Satan.

This is how it works, Jeff demonstrates the power of the word. Jeff told it to go over the top of his house. It did, but it wrecked havoc on the rest of the town.

3) Paul, Disobeyed, ended up in prison.
And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.
All the Disciples with Paul heard the Holy Spirit...... "Paul is not to go to Jerusalem"
Agubus..........The Prophet many days later...........(However you spell it.)
And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.
(Act 21:11-14)
When I put these two scriptures together I do not see that Paul disobeyed God.
I am reminded of when Jesus speaks of His own death and Peter says No, it should not be. And Jesus said, Get behind me satan.
When they couldn't persuade Paul not to go, they prayed correctly for the Lord's will to be done.

I think that what the prophet, Agabus, said is the same as what the Spirit had impressed on the disciples, a warning that he would be taken prisoner.

In fact, we don't know that verse 4, is even referring to the Holy Spirit, or if means their spirit.

I am sure that there has been times the Holy Spirit has given you an impression about a situation, but that doesn't mean that when you speak about it, that the words that come out of your mouth are the words of the Holy Spirit, but you are speaking through/from your spirit.
Hope that makes sense.

I am reminded of when Jesus speaks of His own death and Peter says No, it should not be. And Jesus said, Get behind me satan.
When they couldn't persuade Paul not to go, they prayed correctly for the Lord's will to be done.

I think that what the prophet, Agabus, said is the same as what the Spirit had impressed on the disciples, a warning that he would be taken prisoner.

In fact, we don't know that verse 4, is even referring to the Holy Spirit, or if means their spirit.

I am sure that there has been times the Holy Spirit has given you an impression about a situation, but that doesn't mean that when you speak about it, that the words that come out of your mouth are the words of the Holy Spirit, but you are speaking through/from your spirit.
Hope that makes sense.

Deborah, it's almost like your reading another book here.

Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
(Act 20:23)

And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.
(Act 21:10-12)

And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.
(Act 21:14)

One more time Deborah.

Holy Spirit tells Paul, You go, your going to get locked up. Acts 20
The disciples tell Paul "THROUGH" the Spirit, not by their spirit, not that they thought, but through the Spirit...... "Do NOT GO."

Now, it don't take a degree in rocket science to figure out that if the Holy Spirit tells you that if you go to this place, you will end up in prison, they will beat you. That it's a bad idea to continue on with that plan.

If the Holy Spirit tells you while your driving to slow down, stop. It's not the time to say, I am late and can't slow down and stop.

Agabus, is sent by God after Paul ignores these things to demonstrate more clearly to Paul what is about to happen to him.

3 Warnings.

The disciples there still said..... "We besought Him not to Go."

So the only other thing it could be, is Luke and the rest are being disobedient to God, Agabus is being disobedient, and despite Paul being told it will not end well, Paul is right.

Since the disciples spirit is born again, then they would speak THROUGH the Holy Spirit. Not their spirit. Their spirit would be in line with the Holy Spirit anyway. We are talking about the most powerful men God had on earth at this time.

It would say by their own reasoning.

Also, they did not pray God's will be done.............. The stopped saying that, because they knew Paul was about to disobey the Holy Spirit....... Read it again.

Now if I say through the Spirit, this and that, that is not my own thinking. It said "THE" Spirit, not "Their" spirit. Their spirit would be in line with the Holy Spirit anyway. We are talking about the disciples here, they would not tell Paul to disobey God. They could all not be wrong.

sigh...........

Mike.

Hope that makes sense.

Well put. I'd add to what Deborah said that Paul's imprisonment in Acts 20 onwards is what sets off his being kicked around like a hacky sack to all the authorities in the Roman Empire, and was the reason he stood before Emperor Nero and confessed the gospel in front of him. These verses also testify that Paul's thinking was in line with what the Holy Spirit intended for him, even though the Spirit warned him of the persecution he was about to endure for the sake of Christ, this was specifically prophesied in Acts 9 as well, I've included the context but have emphasised the parts I'm talking about.

From this verse we can see that Jerusalem was very much in his mission field.

"Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.” And the Lord said to him, “Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying, and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight.” But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name.” But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”" - Acts 9:10-16 ESV

Here we see he is to go to Rome to preach the Gospel.

"And when the dissension became violent, the tribune, afraid that Paul would be torn to pieces by them, commanded the soldiers to go down and take him away from among them by force and bring him into the barracks. The following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome.”" - Acts 23:10-11 ESV

Here we see the Paul must appear before Emperor Nero

"Since they had been without food for a long time, Paul stood up among them and said, “Men, you should have listened to me and not have set sail from Crete and incurred this injury and loss. Yet now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For this very night there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, and he said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. And behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you.’ So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told. But we must run aground on some island.”" - Acts 27:21-26 ESV

And in Philippians we see the fruit of this journey begin to appear,

"I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel, so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ. And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear." - Philippians 1:12-14 ESV

This passage is possibly the most amazing one I have found in this brief search.

"Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar's household. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit." - Philippians 4:21-23 ESV

Through Paul's imprisonment he brought the gospel to members of Emperor Nero's household and he certainly brought it before Emperor Nero himself. It was foretold by God and carried out faithfully by Paul, Paul was prophesied to go before Jerusalem as evidenced in Acts 9 and he was also prophesied to appear before Emperor Nero in that same passage. Paul may have had some foreknowledge of the events to come, personally I think he'd have to be pretty stupid to think he wouldn't be arrested the moment he stepped in the Synagogue in Jerusalem even without revelation from the Spirit, but that doesn't mean he violated the Will of God, on the contrary he obeyed it.

I just saw your post Mike, my translation phrases one important passage you used very differently and if you look at the punctuation in your translation you can see it implies the same thing mine does.

"And since he would not be persuaded, we ceased and said, “Let the will of the Lord be done.”" - Acts 21:14 ESV

I just saw your post Mike, my translation phrases one important passage you used very differently and if you look at the punctuation in your translation you can see it implies the same thing mine does.

"And since he would not be persuaded, we ceased and said, “Let the will of the Lord be done.”" - Acts 21:14 ESV

I use the KJV. Pretty interesting how different translations make it say something different.

There are two Greek Verbs there, You are correct. It still does not get Paul off the Hook though.

We can look at this a couple ways. Paul has to stand before Caesar, but Paul does not have to be locked up before standing before Caesar.

Paul goes to Jerusalem, Is greeted warmly, but soon they come to kill Paul. A Roman commander broke up the lynch mob and saved Paul. While Paul was in custody, and Paul invoking His Roman citizenship rights, the Jews plotted to kill him. The Plot was found out and Paul was secretly taken to Caesarea and Felix was given charge over Paul.

While there for a couple years with Felix, Paul was given his own private house, and Felix allowed him to preach and do about what he wanted. Paul was a Roman citizen. Fetus comes to Paul and asks if He is willing to face the Music in Jerusalem.

Paul uses his rights again as a Roman Citizen... I appeal to Caesar, not the religious folks. That gets Paul shipped back to Rome.

King Agrippa told Festus that if Paul had not appealed to Caesar, Paul could be a free man. Not sure what Paul was thinking, but it was a free trip back to Rome. (Acts 26:32)

My Point is Epsicle Paul was not treated that badly, He did face some close calls, but overall He was treated very well and had lots of freedom. Paul goes through a whole lot of things that could have been avoided. If the Holy Spirit warns you 3 times about something, that does not mean ignore that.

I don't believe all the other Disciples spoke Wrong. Paul was not suppose to go, not at that time at least. You don't have to get transported in bounds to obey God.

Not long ago I ended up in Jail, was able to witness to this guy, amazing time, but I was only in Jail because I ignored the Holy Spirit on checking my lic. I had no idea it was revoked by a judge, though I paid the fine.

Now, it don't take a degree in rocket science to figure out that if the Holy Spirit tells you that if you go to this place, you will end up in prison, they will beat you. That it's a bad idea to continue on with that plan.
I was going to respond to this but Epsicle has covered all the prophetic points so well, there is nothing I can add to that.

I was going to respond to this but Epsicle has covered all the prophetic points so well, there is nothing I can add to that.

He did a fine Job, and I am corrected after examining the Greek. They did say "The Lord's will be done" I am not convinced at all that the rest of the disciples would say something against the Holy Spirit though. These are the best in the Land.

We are also not led into trials, temptations, but led away from them. Paul said he was willing to day, without going to Rome to just talk to his kinsmen, which means Paul was already set on going despite the Holy Spirit warning. The Lord never told Paul to go to Jerusalem either, Paul wanted to go. I can see why Paul said all things work to the good of those that love God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back