Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Yahwah's name was in the original New Testament scriptures

The words "let us" are AIT.

Here is the correct translation:
Gen 1:26.
God of the living ones spoke, making man in their image and their likeness.

Do you confess Jesus Christ as LORD?

I agree.

Remember the Godhead has chosen the name of Jesus to represent it.
That wasn't done anywhere. Only the Son is Jesus.

For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;
Colossians 2:9
This just means that the Godhead dwells in Jesus, not that the name Jesus was chosen to represent the Godhead.

My main point is Jesus is YHWH the LORD God of the Old Testament.
He is, along with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

This just means that the Godhead dwells in Jesus, not that the name Jesus was chosen to represent the Godhead.

What name represents the Godhead if not Jesus... the name above every name?

I am by itself doesn't prove anyone is a god. I am right. You [know] that I am..... blah blah blah.
Depending on the context, it certainly does. The Jews even understood this and were going to stone Jesus for blasphemy. Look at the context:

Joh 8:57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?”
Joh 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” (ESV)

Jesus is not saying that he merely existed before Abraham, he is contrasting "Abraham was" with "I am," Abraham's existence in time with his timeless existence.

Look at what he says in the same discussion, just a bit earlier:

Joh 8:23 He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
Joh 8:24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” (ESV)

"He" isn't in the Greek. Jesus is saying that "unless you believe that I am you will die in your sins." And that comes immediately after his claims that his is "from above" and "not of this world."

Please consider this verse --

...Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.
John 17:11

JLB

All the fullness of the Godhead dwelt in Him bodily.

Do you agree?
Yes, of course. You can't have one without the other two.

What name represents the Godhead if not Jesus... the name above every name?
YHWH, obviously. It doesn't follow that the name of the Godhead is Jesus.

Please consider this verse --

...Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.
John 17:11
Whatever this verse is saying, it is not saying that the name of the Godhead is Jesus. Be careful in making connections where there are none. I could just as easily say that Phil 2:9 is referring to Rev 19:12, in which case we don't even know what that name is:

Rev 19:12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. (ESV)

To say that the Godhead's name is Jesus is to start conflating Trinitarianism and Oneness, which is also known as Jesus only.

Depending on the context, it certainly does. The Jews even understood this and were going to stone Jesus for blasphemy. Look at the context:

Joh 8:57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?”
Joh 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” (ESV)
It was about slander. They thought Jesus was saying God was too generous in that he wakes the dead.

Jesus is not saying that he merely existed before Abraham, he is contrasting "Abraham was" with "I am," Abraham's existence in time with his timeless existence.

Look at what he says in the same discussion, just a bit earlier:

Joh 8:23 He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
Joh 8:24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” (ESV)

"He" isn't in the Greek. Jesus is saying that "unless you believe that I am you will die in your sins." And that comes immediately after his claims that his is "from above" and "not of this world."
"Amen amen, prior to Abraham happing {joy}, I am {the light of the world}." Yes, I know but you have to fill in the blanks for verse 58. From the above means from the higher in semitic speak, and the κοσμος simply means space or area with people in Greek. Yes, it often includes the inhabitants, but the word is derived from κομίζω, and has receive as part of its meaning, or perhaps more give space to. It doesn't not mean planet Earth.

Will I die in my "sins" (i.e. wrongs) for not believing he was the light of Israel/or "the world"? Probably not, because he was the light of the world, is, and will be to me. Morely, I am not his past audience to begin with.

Yes. I AM.

The Jews He was speaking to understood exactly what He was saying...

Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by. John 8:58-59

They fully intended to stone Him to death for claiming He was The LORD God, YHWH.

JLB
But He didn’t use the word “YHWH” which cannot really be denied. He said “I am”and those who insist he MEANT to say YHWH have to ADD that to his words. They don’t ask WHY He didn’t use that word, but instead put that into his mouth themselves.

Gentlemen, you can congratulate yourselves that you know the right word when speaking to or of the Ancient of Days. You can feel superior that you know his “first name” whereas previous generations called him “Lord.” You can use that to determine your standing with Him, if you so choose, and you can teach others to spread that word around so that they feel superior as well.

But since no one in the New Testament taught that view, nor used it in addressing Him, it’s not likely to impress said Being and impressing Him is all that counts.

We will one day stand before Him and give an account as to the deeds done in the body. I suspect teaching that word or bragging one used it is likely to be wood, hay and chaff.

But He didn’t use the word “YHWH” which cannot really be denied. He said “I am”and those who insist he MEANT to say YHWH have to ADD that to his words. They don’t ask WHY He didn’t use that word, but instead put that into his mouth themselves.

I never said Jesus said "I AM YHWH".

Do you agree that Jesus referred to Himself as I AM?

Do you agree that the Jews who heard Him refer to Himself as I AM, picked up stones to stone Him?

JLB

It was about slander. They thought Jesus was saying God was too generous in that he wakes the dead.
How do you get that from that passage? That's not mentioned anywhere in the context.

"Amen amen, prior to Abraham happing {joy}, I am {the light of the world}." Yes, I know but you have to fill in the blanks for verse 58. From the above means from the higher in semitic speak, and the κοσμος simply means space or area with people in Greek. Yes, it often includes the inhabitants, but the word is derived from κομίζω, and has receive as part of its meaning, or perhaps more give space to. It doesn't not mean planet Earth.
I don't understand what you're saying with any of this.

Will I die in my "sins" (i.e. wrongs) for not believing he was the light of Israel/or "the world"? Probably not, because he was the light of the world, is, and will be to me. Morely, I am not his past audience to begin with.
The verse is saying that one will die in their sins if they don't believe he is truly God, the I Am. Paul repeats this in Rom 10:9-13.

You are not understanding. It isn't that he "meant to say YHWH," it's that he referred to himself as the being who is I Am, whose name is YHWH.

Back