Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Are Christians to keep the Sabbath?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The law did not change, the Covenant (read here agreement) changed.

Acts15: 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, "It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command [them] to keep the law of Moses."

I dont think Scripture says that.

Sent from mobile.

Acts15: 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, "It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command [them] to keep the law of Moses."

I dont think Scripture says that.

Sent from mobile.

Is it still necessary to be circumcised?

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Now with that in mind...

Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

The application has changed. The agreement (Covenant) has changed. The covenant now is a spiritual covenant with spiritual intent added to the Law. The law is filled full...

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

fulfil:

G4137
πληρόω
plēroō
play-ro'-o
From G4134; to make replete, that is, (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.: - accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

honourable:

H142
אדר
'âdar
aw-dar
A primitive root; to expand, that is, be great or (figuratively) magnificent: - (become) glorious, honourable.

Is it still necessary to be circumcised?

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Now with that in mind...

Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

The application has changed. The agreement (Covenant) has changed. The covenant now is a spiritual covenant with spiritual intent added to the Law. The law is filled full...

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

fulfil:

G4137
πληρόω
plēroō
play-ro'-o
From G4134; to make replete, that is, (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.: - accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

honourable:

H142
אדר
'âdar
aw-dar
A primitive root; to expand, that is, be great or (figuratively) magnificent: - (become) glorious, honourable.

You just explained the new covenant through Christ for circumcision and not the law given to Moses.

Christ not only fulfilled the law, He is the end of the law:
(Rom 10:4) For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Don't try to twist the law given to Moses to somehow portray as if the new covenant was the same law.

Did the law change?
(Heb 7:12) For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.

If the new covenant given by Christ has the same law given to Moses, then Christ cannot be our High Priest according to the law.

Hence,
  • Christ fulfilled the law. You have nothing left to fulfill.
  • Christ is the end of the law. There is no law in Christ.
  • Moses law has no place in New Covenant.

You just explained the new covenant through Christ for circumcision and not the law given to Moses.

Christ not only fulfilled the law, He is the end of the law:
(Rom 10:4) For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Here we go again...

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

end:

G5056
τέλος
telos
tel'-os
From a primary word τέλλω tellō (to set out for a definite point or goal); properly the point aimed at as a limit, that is, (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination [literally, figuratively or indefinitely], result [immediate, ultimate or prophetic], purpose); specifically an impost or levy (as paid): - + continual, custom, end (-ing), finally, uttermost. Compare G5411.

Don't try to twist the law given to Moses to somehow portray as if the new covenant was the same law.

I don't think you understand that there is a difference between the Ten Commandments and teh Law of Moses. Furthermore, I don't think you know who was the author of those laws.

Did the law change?
(Heb 7:12) For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.

If the new covenant given by Christ has the same law given to Moses, then Christ cannot be our High Priest according to the law.

Hence,
  • Christ fulfilled the law. You have nothing left to fulfill.

fulfill:

G4137
πληρόω
plēroō
play-ro'-o

Which does not mean to end...

magnify:

H1431
גּדל
gâdal
gaw-dal'
A primitive root; properly to twist (compare H1434), that is, to be (causatively make) large (in various senses, as in body, mind, estate or honor, also in pride): - advance, boast, bring up, exceed, excellent, be (-come, do, give, make, wax), great (-er, come to . . estate, + things), grow (up), increase, lift up, magnify (-ifical), be much set by, nourish (up), pass, promote, proudly [spoken], tower.

H142
אדר
'âdar
aw-dar

• Christ is the end of the law. There is no law in Christ.

How about a date with your wife? No law against it. Neither of us believe that...

Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Sounds to me like these laws haven't ended.

end:

G5056
τέλος
telos
tel'-os
From a primary word τέλλω tellō (to set out for a definite point or goal); properly the point aimed at as a limit, that is, (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination [literally, figuratively or indefinitely], result [immediate, ultimate or prophetic], purpose); specifically an impost or levy (as paid): - + continual, custom, end (-ing), finally, uttermost. Compare G5411.

Christ is the point of aim, the goal the conclusion of the law. Christ is the point of aim for us.

• Moses law has no place in New Covenant.
Where does scripture say that? Here is what I read...

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

The New Covenant is the writing of the law in our hearts and minds. Show me where the New Covenant is the doing away with law.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. - KJV

Several mofern translations render this as LAWLESSNESS.

New Living Translation (©2007)
But I will reply, 'I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God's laws.'

English Standard Version (©2001)
And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Darby Bible Translation
and then will I avow unto them, I never knew you. Depart from me, workers of lawlessness.

Young's Literal Translation
and then I will acknowledge to them, that -- I never knew you, depart from me ye who are working lawlessness.

Last edited by a moderator:
And still, no one has explained what Christ, Himself said here...

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

How about helping me out Felix, explain what this says.

And still, no one has explained what Christ, Himself said here...

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

How about helping me out Felix, explain what this says.

It has been explained in simple terms..

The LAW is and always will be in effect for our FLESH til the day it dies... and that's why Paul speaks of this in Romans 7 in great detail..

CHRIST IN YOU on the other hand is DIVINE in nature, and fulfilles the LAW perfectly IN US.. it is impossible for Christ (God) to break His own law.

IMO this comes down to not understanding the daul nature of the Christian life.. anyone who is born again in Christ has their old Adamic nature according to the FLESH, living within the same lump as the divine nature of CHRIST according to the Spirit..

The LAW condemns the old man..

Christ fulfills the righteousness of the LAW in us.

It's really that simple imo.

It has been explained in simple terms..

The LAW is and always will be in effect for our FLESH til the day it dies... and that's why Paul speaks of this in Romans 7 in great detail..

CHRIST IN YOU on the other hand is DIVINE in nature, and fulfilles the LAW perfectly IN US.. it is impossible for Christ (God) to break His own law.

Then, if that is the case, Christians should be keeping the fourth commandment, since this is one of the laws Christ gave.

IMO this comes down to not understanding the daul nature of the Christian life.. anyone who is born again in Christ has their old Adamic nature according to the FLESH, living within the same lump as the divine nature of CHRIST according to the Spirit..

The LAW condemns the old man..

Christ fulfills the righteousness of the LAW in us.

It's really that simple imo.

Is Christ fulfilling the law in us in one who breaks any of the commandments? For example, is Christ fulfilling the law in one who commits murder?

Then, if that is the case, Christians should be keeping the fourth commandment, since this is one of the laws Christ gave.

And how are you doing with that.. ? Are you keeping up with CHRIST IN YOU who has absolutely fulfilled every righteous requirement of the LAW..

Again, the LAW is to show us that we need CHRIST... the LAW amplifies sin in our members and exposes us for who we are.. while at the same time showing us who Christ is.. holy, just, and good.

If you think that you're going to live up to His righteousness in you, then you're simply mistaken.

Is Christ fulfilling the law in us in one who breaks any of the commandments? For example, is Christ fulfilling the law in one who commits murder?

That's the OLD MAN... who has NOTHING GOOD in him... and that is precisely WHO the LAW is FOR.. sinners.

Are you a sinner ? OR are you one of those who never falls short of the GLORY OF GOD ?

Nope. Christ did not give any fourth commandment - there is only one commandment. In fact He did not even follow it. I had already explained in my earlier posts that He profaned the Sabbath, and yet how He was blameless.

Christ Himself broke the 4th commandment. So, if we put on Christ, neither do we have any 4th commandment.

Nope. Christ did not give any fourth commandment - there is only one commandment. In fact He did not even follow it. I had already explained in my earlier posts that He profaned the Sabbath, and yet how He was blameless.

Lemme see here...

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Well now who said this? Wasn't the Father...

Joh 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

No one has ever heard the Father

No one has seen His shape...

Exo 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
Exo 33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
Exo 33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
Exo 33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
Exo 33:23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

So Moses saw someones shape, wonder who?

1Co 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
1Co 10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
1Co 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
1Co 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Why the one who led them out of Egypt and spoke to them was Christ...

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Then we He, that is Christ, the same one who spoke the Ten Commandments, came to earth He said...

And then He said things like...

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

What Commandments? Why the ones He spoke at Mt. Sinai come to mind.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Hmmm, His Commandments? They are the ones that He gave at Mt. Sinai and then said that heaven and earth would pass before a jot or tittle passed from them.

Christ Himself broke the 4th commandment. So, if we put on Christ, neither do we have any 4th commandment.

Really? Show me that one.

If Christ broke the law then He was not sinless. If He was not sinless, then He was not the perfect sacrifice and stick a fork in us, we are done.

Felix, my friend, you might want to read this verse...

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Really? Show me that one.

If Christ broke the law then He was not sinless. If He was not sinless, then He was not the perfect sacrifice and stick a fork in us, we are done.

He never rested on any Sabbath:
(John 5:17) But Jesus answered them, "My Father has been working until now, and I have been working."

This is John testifying about Jesus:
(John 5:18) Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

Priests profane the Sabbath, yet blameless in law:
(Matt 12:5) "Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?

Is Jesus justifying the acts of David or did David broke the law?
(Matt 12:3-4) But He said to them, "Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests?

Thus, Christ is always working and never followed Sabbath, yet blameless because He is our High Priest.

He never rested on any Sabbath:
(John 5:17) But Jesus answered them, "My Father has been working until now, and I have been working."

Pulling out of context is a no-no...

Joh 5:10 The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.
Joh 5:11 He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.
Joh 5:12 Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk?
Joh 5:13 And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.
Joh 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
Joh 5:15 The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole.
Joh 5:16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
Joh 5:17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

Now show me where the Sabbath Commandment says not to be healed or get up an walk with your blanket. What they were angry with was that Jesus had violated their do's and don'ts on the Sabbath.

Mat 12:10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
Mat 12:11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
Mat 12:12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
Mat 12:13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.
Mat 12:14 Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.

Are you actually being honest about this, or just trying to throw up a smoke screen?

I think you know that Christ was sinless and that He did not break the Sabbath, what He did do is violate the Jews traditions and their rules.

This is John testifying about Jesus:
(John 5:18) Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

So was God His Father? Is that true? Did He break the Sabbath?

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Was Christ a sinner?

Priests profane the Sabbath, yet blameless in law:
(Matt 12:5) "Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?

Because they do the work of the Temple on the Sabbath. Circumcision was carried out on the eight day even if it were a Sabbath. Animal sacrifices were performed on the Sabbath.

Is Jesus justifying the acts of David or did David broke the law?
(Matt 12:3-4) But He said to them, "Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests?

Thus, Christ is always working and never followed Sabbath, yet blameless because He is our High Priest.

So...

Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Was He guilty of all? Of course not. If you are not being disingenuous here, I suggest you read a little of Matthey Henry's commentary...

http://studylight.org/com/mhc-com/view.cgi?book=mt&chapter=012

Because they do the work of the Temple on the Sabbath. Circumcision was carried out on the eight day even if it were a Sabbath. Animal sacrifices were performed on the Sabbath.

As you acknowledged, the priests profane the sabbath and yet blameless because they do temple work like circumcision, sacrifices.

Why is that the circumcision and sacrifices are not followed on New covenant yet you want to follow the Sabbath?

Why do you want to follow the covenant not made with you or your forefathers?

Exo 31:16 'Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations [as] a perpetual covenant.

Neither is the law for Gentiles.

I also showed you that Sabbath is changed to Friday that neither Jews nor Christians follow correctly as per God's defn and Calendar.

Sabbath will cease is a prophecy.

Hos 2:11 I will also cause all her mirth to cease, Her feast days, Her New Moons, Her Sabbaths -- All her appointed feasts.

Paul's letter:
Col2: 15 -17 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

So you can break all the rest of the Sabbaths but not the weekly alone?

Read Lev 26:2.

Sent from mobile.

no the circumision took priority over the shabat. which is more important to yhwh? a child given to him or the shabat? the former. theres a talmudic tradition on that.

i doubt god would kill a man for praising him in his temple on the shabat. besides the menorah took work to keep it lit on all days and a daily sacrifice(cleansing the alter) was to be given.

so the levites didnt rest on the shabat.

no the circumision took priority over the shabat. which is more important to yhwh? a child given to him or the shabat? the former. theres a talmudic tradition on that.

i doubt god would kill a man for praising him in his temple on the shabat. besides the menorah took work to keep it lit on all days and a daily sacrifice(cleansing the alter) was to be given.

so the levites didnt rest on the shabat.

I know. Exactly! While circumcision itself is no more, I wonder why some still follow Sabbath. They don't realize the law has been changed and we are no longer under the law but grace.

Circumcision is the sign that you are an Israelite or else, you will be cut off. If someone is not an Israelite, it is amazing why people what to follow Sabbath and yet not realizing they will be cut off without circumcision! This is why the discussion was so important with regards to Circumcision in early church.

one can choose what parts of the law to follow and not be legalistic about it. i have seen it done. i know of two jews that do just that. both are vegans. and both do the shabat.

most american boys are circumised and i believe that the health codes in america require it to be done on the 8th day.

one can choose what parts of the law to follow and not be legalistic about it. i have seen it done. i know of two jews that do just that. both are vegans. and both do the shabat.

most american boys are circumised and i believe that the health codes in america require it to be done on the 8th day.

Circumcision has nothing to do with the person's will, but rather their parents.

The Sabbath was fulfilled in Christ. Not just the weekly Sabbath but all Sabbath's!

Jesus Christ is our rest!

However, to this day a person needs a day of rest to recuperate and be at peace.

Not just rest from physical work, but a rest for one's mind. To allow the soul to rest and just fellowship with The Lord.

Trying to "keep" all the minute regulations of the Sabbath according to the Law of Moses is certainly not rest, but more anxiety than anything.

JLB

Circumcision has nothing to do with the person's will, but rather their parents.

The Sabbath was fulfilled in Christ. Not just the weekly Sabbath but all Sabbath's!

Jesus Christ is our rest!

No actually they are not fulfilled. Passover is, the Wavesheaf is, Christ presented Himself to the Father as pictured in Lev 23:9-14 on the Sunday after the resurrection. Pentecost is not.

Pentecost symbolizes the early harvest (spring harvest) and that occurs at the return of Christ.

Lev 23:17 Ye shall bring out of your habitations two wave loaves of two tenth deals: they shall be of fine flour; they shall be baken with leaven; they are the firstfruits unto the LORD.
Lev 23:18 And ye shall offer with the bread seven lambs without blemish of the first year, and one young bullock, and two rams: they shall be for a burnt offering unto the LORD, with their meat offering, and their drink offerings, even an offering made by fire, of sweet savour unto the LORD.
Lev 23:19 Then ye shall sacrifice one kid of the goats for a sin offering, and two lambs of the first year for a sacrifice of peace offerings.
Lev 23:20 And the priest shall wave them with the bread of the firstfruits for a wave offering before the LORD, with the two lambs: they shall be holy to the LORD for the priest.

Jas 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

The Feast of Trumpets has not occurred. There will be seven trumpets sounded with Christ returning on the seventh (the last trumpet).

Lev 23:24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.
Lev 23:25 Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
Lev 23:26 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Atonement has not been fulfilled. The world is not At One with God. This happens when Christ returns and Satan is incarcerated, no longer able to work mischef in the world.

Lev 23:27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
Lev 23:28 And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.
Lev 23:29 For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.
Lev 23:30 And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people.
Lev 23:31 Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
Lev 23:32 It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

Here is where one should read Lev 16. There are two goats, one is sacrificed as a sin offering (Jesus Christ) the other is let go in the wilderness (Satan).

The one let go in the wilderness pictures the ultimate fate of Satan and his demons.

Rev 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
Rev 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
Rev 20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Satan is incarcerated for the Millenium, but then released for a short season. After this comes his ultimate fate...

Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

What is a star?

Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

Stars are symbolic of angels, in the case of Jude 12-13 we see there is no righteousness attached to these stars, they are evil.

The Feast of Tabernacles is the great fall harvest.

Lev 23:34 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the LORD.
Lev 23:35 On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
Lev 23:36 Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein.

Deu 16:13 Thou shalt observe the feast of tabernacles seven days, after that thou hast gathered in thy corn and thy wine:
Deu 16:14 And thou shalt rejoice in thy feast, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite, the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, that are within thy gates.
Deu 16:15 Seven days shalt thou keep a solemn feast unto the LORD thy God in the place which the LORD shall choose: because the LORD thy God shall bless thee in all thine increase, and in all the works of thine hands, therefore thou shalt surely rejoice.

This is the Millenium when all of mankind will serve and obey God and will receive the blessings of this life and salvation to all.

Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

This occurs after the return of Christ as show in earlier verses of this chapter.

Finally, the Last Great Day. This is the time when those to whom the opportunity for salvation was not given will have their chance.

Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

It is not now given for all to come to have their chance today.

Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Mat 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Mat 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
Mat 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Rom 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

God has concluded them in unbelief and who can resist God? He will have mercy on them in the Last Great Day.

Joh 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
Joh 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

The Feasts of God (read Lev 23:1-4 and notice these are NOT the Feasts of the Jews, these are the FEASTS OF GOD.)

This is the true understanding of

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Remember that this was written at least 25 years after the crucifixion. The fulfillment is Christ, but Christ has not come back, He has not brought His Millenial reign and He has not completed His plan for all of mankind. Finally, He has not handed the Kingdom over to the Father yet...

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1Co 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
1Co 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

This is not complete yet, if one reads the rest of Rev 21 and all of 22 then we find some wonderful and glorious events yet future.

Some modern translations help with Col 2:17

New International Version (©1984)
These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

New Living Translation (©2007)
For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality.

English Standard Version (©2001)
These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

International Standard Version (©2008)
These are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Messiah.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Because these things are shadows of those things that were future, but The Messiah is the body.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body [that casts the shadow] belongs to Christ.

However, to this day a person needs a day of rest to recuperate and be at peace.

Not just rest from physical work, but a rest for one's mind. To allow the soul to rest and just fellowship with The Lord.

Trying to "keep" all the minute regulations of the Sabbath according to the Law of Moses is certainly not rest, but more anxiety than anything.

JLB

Where are all these minute regulations found? They are found in the writings of men, not in the Bible. No wonder Christ condemned the Scribes and Pharisees...

Mar 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back