Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Are Negative thoughts Sin?

All scripture is given for belief, positive thoughts, overcoming doubt, and deceit ( negative thoughts) and to answer against the many deceivers in the world.

Hear just God, and at the same time enjoy that the whole of scripture can only be righteousness, as we believe in the heart unto righteousness, that God raised Christ our Lord from the dead ( which is by love, so that we also believe in love for others, not their hatred and hurtfulness answers against Gods pureness, I mean, why hear the devil at work so much now.

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Revelation 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Apostle Paul writes to Timothy, and that Epistle and all Epistles are read by the entire world, hearing from Apostle Paul, who is the Apostle to the entire of Gentiles.

No need for you to be confused, I will show it easily and clearly.

Oh, I'm not confused, brother. I'm realizing that you are, however.

A man ( all men) have to purge themselves from dishonour, and being unsanctified, to be prepared for God. That is very simple and straight forward.

Was Timothy a man needing to be "prepared for God"? Was Timothy not yet a born-again man? No. Timothy was Paul's spiritual protege, actually in leadership over other believers in the Early Church. But it was to this man, to this born-again, spiritual leader in the Church, to whom Paul wrote:

2 Timothy 2:21-22 (NASB)
21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.
22 Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

Paul was not indicating that Timothy was not yet prepared as a vessel in whom God could reside, but that as Timothy fled from "youthful lusts" and followed righteousness, faith, charity and peace, he would be prepared to be used by God, as a vessel (pitcher, pot, etc.) is used by the one who owns it. The idea in view is that of usefulness, not divine occupation.

Reading your own quote above, gets a very different answer to your assumptions.

May it never be ( God forbid) to take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot. ( prostitute)

If anyone did that, to join to a harlot, they are one body together. ( members together)

But, he that is joined to the Lord is one Spirit.

So, that separates two different perspectives, those doing fornication as being one body with harlots, and they who have fled fornication as being one Spirit with the Lord. They who do fornication also sin against their own body, and if any man does fornication, the Lord shall destroy them is told only three verses earlier in 1 Corinthians 3, so it is a warning for all who consider they are free to do this in the Lords name.

None of what you've written here addresses any of the points I made about the passage. You just ignored my points and offered your own view. But simply offering an alternative view of the passage doesn't at all negate or refute the things I pointed out about it.

When Paul wrote, "May it never be!" he was using a rhetorical device, akin to someone exclaiming, "God forbid!" He was not indicating it was impossible for a genuinely born-again believer to be engaging sexually with a prostitute, but only that such a thing ought not to happen. That such a mixture of the holy with the profane was going on was clearly indicated, as I already pointed out in my last post, in Paul's words in chapter 6. Nothing you've written shows this to be a faulty reading of Paul's words.

When Christ called the Apostles, ( Christ then a young man at age 30.) they were all young men. It is a common age for men to come to Christ, to begin to learn of Him, and to leave a life of unbelief, for now faith. See below for the verses showing this, of Saul before he was named Paul, of the young men receiving the Spirit, of God writing to the young men, because they are strong, the word of God abides in them, and they have overcome the wicked one.

This is all quite beside my point, which had very little to do with anything concerning age. Here are my remarks again, if you want to actually address them:

"What was it of which Timothy was to cleanse himself? Youthful lusts (Timothy was a young man). Paul's command to Timothy was to "flee youthful lusts" and chase after righteousness, faith, love, etc. As he did so, Timothy would become (because he was not already) a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master." Here, again, Paul puts a serious crimp in the idea that a born-again person (as Timothy was) is free of sin and cannot sin."

The answer to your question, is just a little higher in the chapter. Why ask questions, as if you need to invent an answer, when it is right there, plain and explained ?

The inheritance is incorruptible and undefiled, and that is what born again is described as, incorruptible, and by their souls purified obeying the truth through the Spirit, unfeigned love of the brothers.

I ask the question in order to provoke you to consider carefully what Peter actually wrote.

1 Peter 1:3-5 (NASB)
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Peter is not explaining what being born-again is, but only that the born-again believer has a spiritual inheritance as a result of their salvation, by which they have been made "joint-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17), that is enduring, and without blemish, and that awaits the child of God in heaven. If this inheritance awaits the believer in heaven, it cannot be the same as salvation which is the necessary predicate to obtaining such an inheritance, which salvation is possessed by the born-again person while they live on earth.

As Peter wrote, God the Father has caused the readers of Peter's letter to be born-again, their hope in their own resurrection from the dead secured by Christ's resurrection (vs. 3). As a result of this state-of-affairs, as a result of these people being born-again, they have an eternal, spiritual inheritance awaiting them in heaven when they die. (vs. 4) It is evident, then, that spiritual regeneration (being born-again) and the resulting spiritual inheritance awaiting the born-again person in heaven are not the same thing. What do you mean, then, by writing,

"The inheritance is incorruptible and undefiled, and that is what born again is described as..." ?

None of them can be an evil doer, and this exhortation ( as you asked why??????) is so they wont be ashamed but to understand that they glorify God, as judgement had begun at the house of God, and the end of those who obey the gospel had come, as the righteous are scarcely saved, the sinner appears nowhere, so they who suffer, these trials ( which is why they are exhorted) suffer according to the will of God, committing the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing, as unto the faithful creator. ( you only need to read and what need you do you have left for disputing them that are written clearly and without a need for questioning, or turning the grace of God into lasciviousness. Jude 1:4.)

I used to teach High School English and had students who would turn in essays that were very much of a kind with what you've written here, going on and on, filling pages with words, in the hopes I would not recognize that they had not answered the question their essay was supposed to answer. I always gave these "fluff" essays the failing grade they deserved.

Actually what is told of the Galatians ( as everybody in forums knows only too well) is that they were foolish, beginning in the Spirit, then faltering , by trusting in the works of the law.

Perhaps you don't understand what legalism is, though you've described it here quite well...

Paul, in chapter 3, had to set out how faith works, it is by hearing of faith that we receive the Spirit, and of course then by hearing the law, there is no faith, and no Spirit. Thaat is then in vain for them as told.

I don't mean to be rude, but what does any of this have to do with the point I made about Paul's descriptions of the Galatian believers indicating what he truly believed about them?

So total failure from the Galatians and for whoever supports their example of success.

They desired to be under the law, and Paul is in doubt of therm, as they show they are in doubt of Christ.

Galatians 4:20 I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.
21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

And, as I pointed out, Paul actually thought these same Galatians were genuinely born-again brethren, tempted by Judaizers though they were.

Galatians 4:7 (NASB)
7 Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.

Galatians 4:9 (NASB)
9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God...

Galatians 4:12 (NASB)
12 I beg of you, brethren, become as I am...

As Paul clearly indicated, he thought the believers in Galatia to be truly born-again folk, though they were falling under the legalistic influence of a Judaizer. What, then, of the idea that being born-again means one is without sin and cannot sin? Paul's letter to the Galatians does not bear out this view at all.

All scripture is given for belief, positive thoughts, overcoming doubt, and deceit ( negative thoughts) and to answer against the many deceivers in the world.

Hear just God, and at the same time enjoy that the whole of scripture can only be righteousness,

The Bible includes many descriptions of profound evil: child murder, rape, incest, homosexuality, gross violence, adultery, assassination, people's guts gushing out, and so on. What do you mean, then, by "the whole of Scripture can only be righteousness"?

As Paul clearly indicated, he thought the believers in Galatia to be truly born-again folk, though they were falling under the legalistic influence of a Judaizer. What, then, of the idea that being born-again means one is without sin and cannot sin? Paul's letter to the Galatians does not bear out this view at all.
If they had "fallen" they were not of God's seed.
Just as apple seeds cannot bear onions, neither can God's seed bear adulterers, murderers, or the apostate.

If they had "fallen" they were not of God's seed.
Just as apple seeds cannot bear onions, neither can God's seed bear adulterers, murderers, or the apostate.

Your interpretation of "fallen" assumes a meaning that contradicts much of the rest of what Paul wrote about the Galatians. When this is so, it ought to be an indicator that your assumption is in error.

Your interpretation of "fallen" assumes a meaning that contradicts much of the rest of what Paul wrote about the Galatians. When this is so, it ought to be an indicator that your assumption is in error.
By "fallen", I mean return to sin.
Paul's concern in Galatians was a return to Law keeping in order to be saved.
Specifically, circumcision.
Are not both actions of the devil?

Oh, I'm not confused, brother. I'm realizing that you are, however.

Was Timothy a man needing to be "prepared for God"? Was Timothy not yet a born-again man? No. Timothy was Paul's spiritual protege, actually in leadership over other believers in the Early Church. But it was to this man, to this born-again, spiritual leader in the Church, to whom Paul wrote:

2 Timothy 2:21-22 (NASB)
21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.
22 Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

Paul was not indicating that Timothy was not yet prepared as a vessel in whom God could reside, but that as Timothy fled from "youthful lusts" and followed righteousness, faith, charity and peace, he would be prepared to be used by God, as a vessel (pitcher, pot, etc.) is used by the one who owns it. The idea in view is that of usefulness, not divine occupation.
Reading your quote the first words are, IF ANYONE cleans themselves, as clearly it is not Timothy that is in concern, but all around him, who Paul and then Timothy, needed to exhort to become vessels of honour.

Thew beginning of chapter 2, of second Timothy confirms exactly this, of these things that Timothy is hearing about Paul, for Timothy to commit to faithful men, who shall teach others.

2 Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Just like here in 1 Timothy 4, Paul is instructing to put the brothers in remembrance of these things, and of what is sanctified.

1 Timothy 4:5-7 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ,

Either the message to be sanctified and a vessel of honour, is to Timothy, to become this, or for Timothy to pass on to others, as we read is the instruction given already in 1 Timothy, for him to put the brothers in remembrance, and for Timothy to teach others.

On top of that, how can Timothy, not be a vessel of honour, and go and teach others ?

Christ would be a minister of sin, if we are sinners and go and preach to others to not commit sins, and to love our neighbour as ourselves. So it is impossible for Timothy to be an approved minister of Christ, and to be instructed by Apostle Paul to go and teach others, if he is not a sincere believer in the risen Lord Jesus Christ, and is a vessel meet for Gods use of our preaching the Word of the Gospel to others.

Your reasoning sadly, is upside down, as it is not in line with the truth of the Gospel, but is opposing its righteousness. Read and see if your ideas line up, or try to go against.....

2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

2 Corinthians 6:4 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,

Galatians 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

Tenchi "May it never be!" he was using a rhetorical device, akin to someone exclaiming, "God forbid!" He was not indicating it was impossible for a genuinely born-again believer to be engaging sexually with a prostitute, but only that such a thing ought not to happen. That such a mixture of the holy with the profane was going on was clearly indicated, as I already pointed out in my last post, in Paul's words in chapter 6. Nothing you've written shows this to be a faulty reading of Paul's words."

God forbid, is exactly what that says, for God to forbid such a thing, more than it should not be, but that it will not be.

On top of that, to consider that a born again believer can do evil, is to deny and be gravely unaware of the power of God to stop that man from doing evil again. See your confusion yet again....

2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Jude 24-25 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Tenchi: "What was it of which Timothy was to cleanse himself? Youthful lusts (Timothy was a young man). Paul's command to Timothy was to "flee youthful lusts" and chase after righteousness, faith, love, etc. As he did so, Timothy would become (because he was not already) a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master." Here, again, Paul puts a serious crimp in the idea that a born-again person (as Timothy was) is free of sin and cannot sin."

Again you are missing/ignoring the point made in the chapter.

For Timothy to be in meekness instructing others, has to be able to teach. Including youthful lusts. That is being the vessel to honour, purged, otherwise how can Timothy, or anyone instruct others to recover out of the snare of the devil ( when they are dishonourable and not purged) if they themselves are not purged first ?

They as told to Timothy, would also fall into the same condemnation of the devil.

You just have to pay attention to my answers for you, as you are only discrediting yourself in regards to knowledge of the scriptures, as I keep providing for you, constantly, and will do.

Clearly ( and unfortunately for your doctrinal ideas) Timothy ( as always) is approved and reasoned by Paul, to be an example of the believers, in charity, Spirit and purity. It cant make sense for Timothy in 2 Timothy 2, to be considered a vessel of dishonour and not purged, and in 1 Timothy 4, to be an example of purity. Stop choosing two ways, as Christ is singular, and better balanced than being double minded and unstable in all of our ways and thoughts. read carefully.....

1 Timothy 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Peter is not explaining what being born-again is, but only that the born-again believer has a spiritual inheritance as a result of their salvation, by which they have been made "joint-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17), that is enduring, and without blemish, and that awaits the child of God in heaven. If this inheritance awaits the believer in heaven, it cannot be the same as salvation which is the necessary predicate to obtaining such an inheritance, which salvation is possessed by the born-again person while they live on earth.

As Peter wrote, God the Father has caused the readers of Peter's letter to be born-again, their hope in their own resurrection from the dead secured by Christ's resurrection (vs. 3). As a result of this state-of-affairs, as a result of these people being born-again, they have an eternal, spiritual inheritance awaiting them in heaven when they die. (vs. 4) It is evident, then, that spiritual regeneration (being born-again) and the resulting spiritual inheritance awaiting the born-again person in heaven are not the same thing. What do you mean, then, by writing,

"The inheritance is incorruptible and undefiled, and that is what born again is described as..." ?

It is the new heart, the new Spirit, the mind of Christ, these things are without blemish.

A new heart given, a new Spirit, which purifies even their soul in obeying the truth through the Spirit, to give unfeigned love of the brothers. Any blemish/evil hateful act, would be contrary to purity of heart. It also is a sign of no faith.

Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Acts 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

"that is enduring, and without blemish, and that awaits the child of God in heaven."

To be without blemish is now, as this is what requires preparation to be presented correctly to God ( the church) to be holy, and to be without spot and without blemish.

Which can only be done through belief, in the precious blood of Christ, without blemish or spot...

Ephesians 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

1 Peter 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

2 Peter 2:13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

Tenchi: " It is evident, then, that spiritual regeneration (being born-again) and the resulting spiritual inheritance awaiting the born-again person in heaven are not the same thing"

Faith and patience inherit the promises.

To be undefiled, harmless, separate from sinners, is Christ ( our High Priest) becoming us.

That is to the inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, by being incorruptible and undefiled first. Not difficult to see they are the same, is it...

Hebrews 6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

1 Peter 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Revelation 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

And, as I pointed out, Paul actually thought these same Galatians were genuinely born-again brethren, tempted by Judaizers though they were.

Galatians 4:7 (NASB)
7 Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.

Galatians 4:9 (NASB)
9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God...

Galatians 4:12 (NASB)
12 I beg of you, brethren, become as I am...

You are like someone putting their hands over their eyes snd over their ears, so you wont see anything but what you wish.

The quotes you give above, are not born again, as born again shows they are without commiting sin, and where all old is passed away. Try showing born again ( the actual words) and them sinning again ( but you cant, as these are the only way told for you below in scripture)..

John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

2 Corinthians 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

2 Corinthians 517 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

I find this amusing. Galatians was written to an almost exclusively Gentile congregation. The Law was never given to or required of Gentiles. So how is trying to follow the Law a "return?"

I find this amusing. Galatians was written to an almost exclusively Gentile congregation. The Law was never given to or required of Gentiles. So how is trying to follow the Law a "return?"
To observe days, months and times, is to turn again to the law.

All are concluded under sin, Jew and Gentile. Before faith was come ( Jesus Christ) all were kept under the law, until faith was revealed. The law being the school master, brought all unto Christ. ( otherwise how can Gentiles come to Christ?)

Then all are justified by faith, and we ( all, which is Jews and Gentiles) are no longer under the schoolmaster of the law. Now all became children of God by faith in Jesus Christ. Now there is no longer Jew nor Greek ( Gentile) for now all became one in Christ Jesus...

Galatians 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.

Specifically, circumcision.
Are not both actions of the devil?

Of the devil? Not necessarily. The devil is not the only source of sin in a believer's life.

James 1:13-14 (NASB)
13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.
14 But each one is tempted when he is carried away and ENTICED BY HIS OWN LUST.

Acts 3:17-19 (NASB)
17 "And now, brethren, I know that YOU ACTED IN IGNORANCE, just as your rulers did also.
18 "But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled.
19 "Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

In the case of the Galatians, it seems it wasn't the devil, or lust, that was capturing them but false teaching playing on their ignorance of, or lack of confidence in, their "in Christ" spiritual position. They were not trying to be disobedient to God - quite the reverse - but in their ignorance/lack of confidence were being lured into OT Jewish law-keeping.

When Paul, then, wrote that the Galatian believers had "fallen from grace," he meant only that they had left off the grace-centered dynamic of relating with God for the law-centered dynamic of the Old Covenant and in so doing could not properly benefit from the spiritual liberty and power they had obtained through Christ. By way of analogy: If I have a perfectly good lawnmower in my garage but choose to trim my lawn with a pair of scissors instead, I don't lose my lawnmower, only the benefit it provides in caring for my lawn. So, too, for the Galatian believers. Their attempts to maintain by the flesh the spiritual life and relationship to God that had been given to them in the Spirit cut them off from the benefits they had obtained in/by the Spirit but not from their relationship to God as His children. This is what Paul points out in the beginning of Galatians 3, calling the Galatians foolish for doing so.

Galatians 3:1-3 (NASB)
1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?
2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

So, the Galatians are another example of born-again believers "going off the rails" a bit, demonstrating that spiritual regeneration does not mean sinless perfection and an inability to sin.

Of the devil? Not necessarily. The devil is not the only source of sin in a believer's life.

13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.

17 "And now, brethren, I know that YOU ACTED IN IGNORANCE, just as your rulers did also.
18 "But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled.
19 "Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

In the case of the Galatians, it seems it wasn't the devil, or lust, that was capturing them but false teaching playing on their ignorance of, or lack of confidence in, their "in Christ" spiritual position. They were not trying to be disobedient to God - quite the reverse - but in their ignorance/lack of confidence were being lured into OT Jewish law-keeping.

When Paul, then, wrote that the Galatian believers had "fallen from grace," he meant only that they had left off the grace-centered dynamic of relating with God for the law-centered dynamic of the Old Covenant and in so doing could not properly benefit from the spiritual liberty and power they had obtained through Christ. By way of analogy: If I have a perfectly good lawnmower in my garage but choose to trim my lawn with a pair of scissors instead, I don't lose my lawnmower, only the benefit it provides in caring for my lawn. So, too, for the Galatian believers. Their attempts to maintain by the flesh the spiritual life and relationship to God that had been given to them in the Spirit cut them off from the benefits they had obtained in/by the Spirit but not from their relationship to God as His children. This is what Paul points out in the beginning of Galatians 3, calling the Galatians foolish for doing so.

Galatians 3:1-3 (NASB)
1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?
2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

So, the Galatians are another example of born-again believers "going off the rails" a bit, demonstrating that spiritual regeneration does not mean sinless perfection and an inability to sin.
Great post! Additionally, I was amused by the lawnmower/scissors comparison.

To observe days, months and times, is to turn again to the law.

All are concluded under sin, Jew and Gentile. Before faith was come ( Jesus Christ) all were kept under the law, until faith was revealed. The law being the school master, brought all unto Christ. ( otherwise how can Gentiles come to Christ?)

Then all are justified by faith, and we ( all, which is Jews and Gentiles) are no longer under the schoolmaster of the law. Now all became children of God by faith in Jesus Christ. Now there is no longer Jew nor Greek ( Gentile) for now all became one in Christ Jesus...
Show me from scripture that any pagan gentile ever tried to relate to the God of the Bible by following the law.
Show me from scripture where God said the gentiles were to follow the Law. (other than the ones who chose to live in the Land with the Jews)

Those verses do not exist. It is a christian myth that a gentile can go "back under the Law."

Please note the decision by the apostles in Acts 15, and what prompted that council. Some Jewish believers were saying that in order to be saved, the gentiles had to formally convert to Judaism. Circumcision is the last step in formal conversion.

Acts 15:1
Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved."

They were never under the Law to begin with, and Paul worked hard to make sure it stayed that way.

Last edited:

When children of the devil are tempted by lust, they, as originally told in the Gospel, are doing the lusts of the devil ( their father.)

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Show me from scripture that any pagan gentile ever tried to relate to the God of the Bible by following the law.

NLT - "And so my judgment is that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead, we should write and tell them to abstain from eating food offered to idols, from sexual immorality, from eating the meat of strangled animals, and from consuming blood. 21 For these laws of Moses have been preached in Jewish synagogues in every city on every Sabbath for many generations."

Back