Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Believing in Wrong Doctrine: Will I lose my salvation?

1 Cor 7:8 --> "But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am

Like I said, 1 Cor 7:7-9 doesn’t say Paul was celibate. It simply says he wishes all people (married, unmarried or widowed) to be like he is (under self control of sexual desires).

I wish all people could be like myself, but each one has his own gift from God, one in this way and another in that way. Now I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with sexual desire.
1 Corinthians 7:7-9 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=1 Corinthians 7:7-9&version=LEB

Do you think Paul was widowed by the time of this letter?

Yes I do recall. I thought his little lament of a meal ruined by an immature believer was very human.

I do not think this in any way translates to more than what it says, and in this conversation the presented principle is that sin isn't sin until it is known that it is sin. One quoted from the OT, I quoted from the NT, that showed in both plain law and parable, that God sees wrong as wrong no matter if we do or not. Him forgiving us in our ignorance is still forgiving, not there being nothing to forgive. Less stripes means less stripes, not no stripes. That sort of thing.
I'm not in disagreement here brother. Less stripes is still a stripe.
But I don't think that's what Paul is talking about in the passage about meat.
Meat is meat and it's not defiled if it's offered to a god that is not really a good, but a figment of imagination. But for some, they believe those other God's are real, and to eat meat that was offered to them would be a sin. For them, it is sin. But for us who know better, we are free in Christ to eat, but only if it doesn't cause our weaker brother to sin.

I know people who think it's a sin to use musical instruments in worship and others that believe a sip of alcohol in any form is sin It's the same concept.

Is having a glass of wine a sin? How about the use of cannibus?

Like I said, 1 Cor 7:7-9 doesn’t say Paul was celibate. It simply says he wishes all people (married, unmarried or widowed) to be like he is (under self control of sexual desires).

I wish all people could be like myself, but each one has his own gift from God, one in this way and another in that way. Now I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with sexual desire.
1 Corinthians 7:7-9 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=1 Corinthians 7:7-9&version=LEB

Do you think Paul was widowed by the time of this letter?

Are you not even reading the passage you are quoting?

“Now I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with sexual desire.

Are you not even reading the passage you are quoting?
Yes.
Now I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain as I am.

Do you think he said:

Now I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain celibate as I am?

You didn’t answer my question. But here’s another based on what you’ve said but Paul didn’t:

Do you think Paul was unmarried or widowed? Which one, on your view?

blair,

I do wish you would document your sources. When you don't acknowledge the source that you have copied and pasted it can appear to be plagiarism.

Did you obtain some of this material from: Does Hebrews 6:4-6 mean we can lose our salvation? - Got Questions? If so, please give Got Questions? credit.

I urge you not to copy and paste a large chunk (I don't have the time to reply to all of this), but to choose just one point so we can respond.

Oz
I can cite my sources if you wish, but isn't the content of what is said the crux for our discussion since the quote says it better than I could, aht-the while agreeing with what the source states? Just say you hate "Got questions," right? It doesn't matter if what is said goes along with what I believe does it? Altho for English correctness, I see you point.

Yes.

Do you think he said:

Now I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain celibate as I am?

You didn’t answer my question. But here’s another based on what you’ve said but Paul didn’t:

Do you think Paul was unmarried or widowed? Which one, on your view?

"...as I am." Paul was clearly unmarried, that is, celibate.

—> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/celibate

This isn’t rocket surgery.

Last edited:
blair,

I asked for 'exegetical support' from the text and not your opinion of what it means.

Oz
Matt 13 is one.
Galatians 5:16-18
Galatians 5:22-23
Romans 6:18
John 13:35
1 John 2:13
& the multitude of vereses in the NT re becoming more like Jesus.

I believe the above verses are self explanatory re a true vs false Christian.

I'd like to know how YOU understand what I'm saying...
It seems to me that you haven't understood what I meant....

Did you not say that you grow in the knowledge of sin?

If you have been set free by Christ from the bondage of sin, then why would you continue to grow in its knowledge?

Sin is the strength of the law! Sin is not the foundation we are built upon.

Of course there’s no age restriction on who can enter the kingdom. The church had no restriction on age for baptism, nor celibacy restrictions. It was just as the Text here explicitly says and demonstrates. All those who asked “what shall we do” and then repented (including the children that did these things) most certainly should be baptized.

Maybe you could start another thread on when the RC Church departed from this original church practice and began baptizing infants who have not yet repented or asked what they should do.

What Protestants do not baptize repentant children? Shame on them. They need to reform that practice.

Why switch subjects to that of baptizing unrepentant infants who are not even old enough to ask “what should we do” (as explicitly stated in this passage)? Deserves its own thread and Scriptural basis because it certainly ain’t this model of asking and repentance first.

The Church has been baptizing infants from the beginning. It has always been the regula fidei.

Many Protestants reject paedobaptism. I'm sure you know this...

Last edited:
Man made doctrines do not fully express salvation.
The Beatitudes in Matthew express the doctrine of Christ.
This is where we see salvation.

Since He is love, Hos teaching, commandments and gospel are expressions of His character and nature; love.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:15

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

JLB

Why do you think, grammatically speaking, that a chapter break was made between chapter 3 and 4 by Stephen Langton in 1227?

I don’t know Stephon Langton.

I do know what Paul instructed Timothy starting in 1 Timothy 3:1, concerning those fit for leadership.

JLB

Back