Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Can sinning be overcome?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

reddogs

Can sinning be overcome in this life with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Some Preachers and even theologian do not believe that all sinning can be overcome in this life either with or without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Only certain sins can be overcome, thus they leave a 'gap' where sin can continue in our lives.

But people take this to mean that they can keep sinning as there is nothing they can do, or that these 'sins' are not really "hard sins" or "iniquity", but just part of being in a sinful world. Is that correct according to scripture?

Here are some texts on how we choose to heed the desires of our flesh, and for whatever reason, set aside the conviction of the Holy Spirit. "The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" Mark 14:38.

James 1:14-15 "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death."

Galatians 5:17 "For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish."

Last edited by a moderator:
Can sinning can be overcome in this life with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.​
According to both "The Beatitudes" and "The Greatest Commandments", the answer is "NO". The flaw with the LAW is that we can obtain obedience to what is WRITTEN ... but Jesus taught that was still nowhere near good enough to meet God's standard. Do you "love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength"? Is there really NO MORE that you can do or feel to LOVE God ... you are 100% consumed with that love?

The Pilgrims would ask a question:
"Are you willing to be damned to Hell for all eternity if it would bring Glory to God?"
Do you LOVE God THAT MUCH?

If not, then you are not obeying the FIRST AND GREATEST COMMANDMENT, are you?
How then can you be free from all sin if you cannot even perfectly Love God?

However, your point is valid ...

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” - Edward Everett Hale​

... just because we cannot REACH perfect, doesn't mean we should not STRIVE towards that goal.

Can sinning can be overcome in this life with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Some Preachers and even theologian do not believe that all sinning can be overcome in this life either with or without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Only certain sins can be overcome, thus they leave a 'gap' where sin can continue in our lives.

But people take this to mean that they can keep sinning as there is nothing they can do, or that these 'sins' are not really "hard sins" or "iniquity", but just part of being in a sinful world. Is that correct according to scripture?

Here are some texts on how we choose to heed the desires of our flesh, and for whatever reason, set aside the conviction of the Holy Spirit. "The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" Mark 14:38.

James 1:14-15 "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death."

Galatians 5:17 "For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish."
The flip side of those who teach you can overcome all sin is for those who embrace this is to redefine sin so they qualify as sinless. So real sin they commit against God and man is ignored. This has been the case with every single person I’ve met who believe they can be sinless. When Ive asked them if others agree that their behavior is sinless as was the case with Jesus, their answer is essentially it doesn’t matter if others feel/know they were sinned against. The man in the mirror agrees they are sinless.

The flip side of those who teach you can overcome all sin is for those who embrace this is to redefine sin so they qualify as sinless. So real sin they commit against God and man is ignored. This has been the case with every single person I’ve met who believe they can be sinless. When Ive asked them if others agree that their behavior is sinless as was the case with Jesus, their answer is essentially it doesn’t matter if others feel/know they were sinned against. The man in the mirror agrees they are sinless.
Its not sinless per say, as all have sinned and fallen short, it is becoming perfect before God, honest and upright in how we are now. That is where Christ comes in, Who cleanses us from sin, and through the Holy Spirit transforms us and sanctifies us..

Its not sinless per say, as all have sinned and fallen short, it is becoming perfect before God, honest and upright in how we are now. That is where Christ comes in, Who cleanses us from sin, and through the Holy Spirit transforms us and sanctifies us..
As long as we cooperate and obey the teachings of Christ, this is true. If we refuse, it does not happen.

I think 🤔 human frailty is under appreciated in modern Christianity. We are creatures He is the creator. As sanctification continues a believer become not only less sinful but also more morally upright….

Still not sinless until glorification.

I think 🤔 human frailty is under appreciated in modern Christianity. We are creatures He is the creator. As sanctification continues a believer become not only less sinful but also more morally upright….

Still not sinless until glorification.
Oh, no my brother, as if you come to that day and still sin, Christ will say 'I never knew you', and you will be turned away as with all who continue in iniquity...

If you define sin as the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4), then of course no one can keep the law perfectly (Galatians 6:13) and therefore all of us are defined as sinners.

However, Christians are not under the law (Romans 6:14), are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6) as concerning condemnation.

Sin is now defined for us as walking according to the flesh (Romans 8:4).

Under that definition we can indeed be victorious according to the scripture I posted in the post that is previous to this one.

You think that is the only way that a person might have victory over sin?
I'd hardly call it victory. The question asked if one could stop sinning in this life and I gave the only ways I could think of. What's your answer? What's this have to do with your comment: Oh ye of little faith?

I'd hardly call it victory. The question asked if one could stop sinning in this life and I gave the only ways I could think of. What's your answer? What's this have to do with your comment: Oh ye of little faith?
Yes, we can stop sinning in this life; if sin be defined as walking according to the flesh rather than the Spirit; as opposed to the transgression of the law.

You have little faith if you think that you can't be set free from the power of sin by the power of the Holy Spirit.

If I can cease from sinning for five minutes, then I can do so for an hour; if for an hour, then for a day; if for a day, then for a week; if for a week, then for a year; if for a year, then for a decade, a century, a millennium, an eon; even unto for ever.

And I can cease from sinning for five minutes.

Rom 8:5, Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.
Rom 8:6, So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.
Rom 8:7, For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws, and it never will.
Rom 8:8, That’s why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.

Rom 8:9, But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)
Rom 8:10, And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life[fn] because you have been made right with God.
Rom 8:11, The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.
Rom 8:12, Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do.
Rom 8:13, For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live.
Rom 8:14, For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.

:chin I suppose one could by going into a coma or be brain dead.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE THEOLOGY FORUM.
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM MAKING SARCASTIC OR OTHERWISE UNWARRANTED REMARKS.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST IN THIS THREAD.

IF NECESSARY REPORT TO TALK WITH STAFF.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE THEOLOGY FORUM.
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM MAKING SARCASTIC OR OTHERWISE UNWARRANTED REMARKS.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST IN THIS THREAD.

IF NECESSARY REPORT TO TALK WITH STAFF.
He was way out of line.

Give me a break.

We don't want the boards to have anything in them that isn't perfectly pristine and proper.

Yes, we can stop sinning in this life; if sin be defined as walking according to the flesh rather than the Spirit; as opposed to the transgression of the law.
This contradicts 1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

You have little faith if you think that you can't be set free from the power of sin by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Well, Paul was best Christian I ever heard of and he said he could do it. Do you think he had little faith? Gee, he went to the 3rd heaven and did miracles and still couldn't stop sinning. 5 For I do not understand my own actions [I am baffled and bewildered by them]. I do not practice what I want to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate [and yielding to my human nature, my worldliness—my sinful capacity]. 16 Now if I habitually do what I do not want to do, [that means] I agree with the Law, confessing that it is good (morally excellent).

f I can cease from sinning for five minutes, then I can do so for an hour; if for an hour, then for a day; if for a day, then for a week; if for a week, then for a year; if for a year, then for a decade, a century, a millennium, an eon; even unto for ever.

Well, when you get to heaven you can tell Paul your secret.

Yes, I can stop for 5 minutes too.

He was way out of line.

Give me a break.

We don't want the boards to have anything in them that isn't perfectly pristine and proper.
Hi Justbyfaith
Welcome to the forum.
I'd like to explain that we hold the Theology Forum, the study of God, to be reserved for serious discussion. Please read the stickies if necessary. You use scripture, which is also necessary, in this sub-forum.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back