Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can we honestly defend biblical inerrancy of the original manuscripts?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
a liberal Christian

Unitarian Universalist ,unity church ,any church that believes :

gays and the lbgt are not in,a fallen state
the bible is one of a many holy books to get. to God whether male or female ,some state emphatically God is female
man added to the bible ,social justice over the gospel .

these are all in my town ,some very old churches that weren't apostate at all.

These attacks upon the inerrancy of Scripture leave many believers holding their Bible and wondering if this is really the Word of God. And that is the goal of the one who is behind it.
Yes I can see how you might say that. But I wonder if God is making a deeper call to us. To have a less dogmatic view of Scripture.
The Bible is mostly the word of God but it doesn't replace God. I don't worship a Bible. I worship God. And the mystery of God will be much deeper than words can ever express.

a liberal Christian

Unitarian Universalist ,unity church ,any church that believes :

gays and the lbgt are not in,a fallen state
the bible is one of a many holy books to get. to God whether male or female ,some state emphatically God is female
man added to the bible ,social justice over the gospel .

these are all in my town ,some very old churches that weren't apostate at all.

If that's actually the case why don't you move? I haven't heard those arguments from any Christian where I live.

If that's actually the case why don't you move? I haven't heard those arguments from any Christian where I live.
i,never said all churches

just. because a church says it is doesn't mean it is.

I was raised a Jehovah's witness ,thry say they are the only true faith

Mormons claim the same ,who is correct

these are that I know of the types

unity church ,the Emerson center a Universalist church
community church ,these have rainbows on their doors and pflag meets at communty church,another is first Presbyterian
one that did go south and came back

first trinity church ,three splits and that was so big over gay rights they made local news,its split ,the local Anglican church i have atteneed a few times isn't liberal at all ,Christ church and holds communion with its two splits .the paulists,and the other Anglican ,st marks .

I'm,into local church history ,if I find an old photo or story I dig into what happened and why it changed .or I hear it .apostasy it happens

Who actually, physically, wrote the "books" of the Bible? They were written by men, not God.

That's not the biblical storyline: "Above all, you do well if you recognize this: No prophecy of scripture ever comes about by the prophet’s own imagination, for no prophecy was ever borne of human impulse; rather, men carried along by the Holy Spirit spoke from God" (2 Pet 1:20-21 NET).

That's not the biblical storyline: "Above all, you do well if you recognize this: No prophecy of scripture ever comes about by the prophet’s own imagination, for no prophecy was ever borne of human impulse; rather, men carried along by the Holy Spirit spoke from God" (2 Pet 1:20-21 NET).

What is it about "physically" that you don't understand? How do you think the manuscripts were written?

I repeat, who actually, physically, wrote the "books" of the Bible? They were written by men, not God. The only exception to this is God writing the ten commandments, but of course whoever wrote that story in Exodus was a man not God.

Even though "the biblical storyline" has nothing to do with the subject... So what is it about "physically" that you don't understand? I wrote "Who actually, physically, wrote the "books" of the Bible? They were written by men, not God.

This is an excellent example of prejudice when you say things like "we who are of God". I am a liberal Christian, so when you write " some liberal christians" (without capitalizing Christians), to whom are you referring?

Suppose I said that conservative Christians have missed the truth of Christ? What would be your reaction to this similar kind of prejudice?

Do these verses apply to you? Matthew 7:1-3, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

I don't think I wrote 'some liberal christians'. I did respond to another's post about them.

If you want to define your 'liberal Christianity', due to others misunderstanding of it, go ahead. But, just as I said already, liberal Christianity does not view the Bible as the written Word of God. If you do, and I hope you do, fine. Tell me so.

I could accuse you of 'judging' wrongfully just as you want to accuse me. Either would be a wrongful use of those verses.

Instead, tell me how you view the Bible. Is it the written Word of God?

Quantrill

Who actually, physically, wrote the "books" of the Bible? They were written by men, not God.

Where do you get the idea that just because men were used to write, that God did not do the writing? When miracles are performed by the apostle's, did they do them or did God?

Quantrill

Yes I can see how you might say that. But I wonder if God is making a deeper call to us. To have a less dogmatic view of Scripture.
The Bible is mostly the word of God but it doesn't replace God. I don't worship a Bible. I worship God. And the mystery of God will be much deeper than words can ever express.

How do you know the Bible is 'mostly' the Word of God? Who told you which parts were and which parts were not? Or is it just up to you to decide as with anyone else?

No one is asking you to worship the Bible. To view the Bible as the Word of God, as it claims to be, is not worshipping the Bible. It is giving it it's rightful title. It's rightful place.

Quantrill

What is it about "physically" that you don't understand? How do you think the manuscripts were written?

I repeat, who actually, physically, wrote the "books" of the Bible? They were written by men, not God. The only exception to this is God writing the ten commandments, but of course whoever wrote that story in Exodus was a man not God.

jaybo,

You don't seem to get it that when ordinary human beings are "carried along by the Holy Spirit" who does not lie (he's a member of the righteous Godhead) and the Scriptures they write are "breathed out by God", we have inerrant Scriptures in the originals.

There have to be originals for there to be copies available to be translated into English.

I have never seen the snow and ice of Antarctica because I haven't been there. However, I know it exists because I've seen copies of it in TV film. Why can't you understand that when Scriptures are "breathed out by God" they come from the breath of the infinite God of justice who doesn't lie?

I'm leaving it there as it doesn't seem you want to understand basic bibliology.

Bye,
Oz :whirl

I don't think I wrote 'some liberal christians'. I did respond to another's post about them.

If you want to define your 'liberal Christianity', due to others misunderstanding of it, go ahead. But, just as I said already, liberal Christianity does not view the Bible as the written Word of God. If you do, and I hope you do, fine. Tell me so.

I could accuse you of 'judging' wrongfully just as you want to accuse me. Either would be a wrongful use of those verses.

Instead, tell me how you view the Bible. Is it the written Word of God?

Quantrill

Yes -- definitively -- the Bible is the written word of God. I don't know where you got the idea that "liberal Christianity does not view the Bible as the written Word of God." Do you have a source for that statement?

jaybo,

You don't seem to get it that when ordinary human beings are "carried along by the Holy Spirit" who does not lie (he's a member of the righteous Godhead) and the Scriptures they write are "breathed out by God", we have inerrant Scriptures in the originals.

There have to be originals for there to be copies available to be translated into English.

I have never seen the snow and ice of Antarctica because I haven't been there. However, I know it exists because I've seen copies of it in TV film. Why can't you understand that when Scriptures are "breathed out by God" they come from the breath of the infinite God of justice who doesn't lie?

I'm leaving it there as it doesn't seem you want to understand basic bibliology.

Bye,
Oz :whirl

You wrote, "There have to be originals for there to be copies available to be translated into English." So, even though you no longer want to discuss the matter, there are no original texts of the Bible "books" that exist today.

I never disagreed that when Scriptures are "breathed out by God" they come from the breath of the infinite God of justice who doesn't lie? Your accusation of me has no merit and is untrue.

Bye!

Yes -- definitively -- the Bible is the written word of God. I don't know where you got the idea that "liberal Christianity does not view the Bible as the written Word of God." Do you have a source for that statement?

Sounds good. But, your statements in post #(39) and (47) indicate otherwise.

If the Bible is the written Word of God, what makes you a 'liberal Christian'?

If the Bible is the written Word of God, then what are you arguing against?

Quantrill

Sounds good. But, your statements in post #(39) and (47) indicate otherwise.

If the Bible is the written Word of God, what makes you a 'liberal Christian'?

If the Bible is the written Word of God, then what are you arguing against?

Quantrill

I'm not arguing against anything. I am a "liberal Christian" because I follow the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ, not the dogma of any denomination or cult. When I first became a Christian and read the New Testament with an open mind I learned that Jesus was the greatest social liberal that ever was and probably ever will be. (Even though that has nothing to do with the OP).

It seems like you're trying to put me into some ideological box, claiming that I think that somehow the written Word of God isn't the written Word of God. You are totally wrong.

The OP is about "the Biblical inerrancy of the original manuscripts". I'm not sure what you're discussing, but that ain't it.

It seems like you're trying to put me into some ideological box
We can be all guilty of that. But then again labels are hard to avoid. I am almost certainly left of centre since I support Pope Francis. Most think he is a heretic because he endorsed gay civil unions. I'm not ready to dismiss him just yet. What he did might be considered Biblically disrespectful, but his heart is inclusive. He wants us to embrace our gay brothers and sisters. He is trying to tackle a very complex issue with the mercy of Christ.

When I wrote "It seems like you're trying to put me into some ideological box, claiming that I think that somehow the written Word of God isn't the written Word of God", it was directed at Quantrill. I said to him (emphatically) that the written Word of God is the written Word of God.

I'm not sure what he's trying to get at, unless (like so many others, including the Pharisees) he equates "liberal" with satanic. This obviously goes beyond the subject of the OP, but unfortunately that's all one hears from trumpies.

Who are these "liberal christians"? (Not capitalized by you) When and where did they tell you this?

You know who were the Conservatives of Jesus' day? The Pharisees , Sadducees, the Sanhedrin etc. They knew what the Scriptures said and debated the "liberal" Jesus. And we know who won those arguments!

It may be trendy these days among Conservatives to bash Liberals, just like it was 2000+ years ago. It reinforces to one another the right to judge others even though Jesus said not to judge your neighbors but to love them.

From where I "sit" as a Liberal all I hear and read from Conservatives is attacks on others. Why is that?

BTW, I realize that we are deviating from the subject of the OP. As for me, I want to get back to discussing Biblical inerrancy and away from politics (church and domestic)

Now wait just a minute, even in just the last page of postings, I have read the conservatives dodge the Liberal bullet and their provocations to fight by you guys two times. So if you want to stick to the topic then be my guess instead of baiting people. Nice try though!

Back