Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians? Using self-defense and Guns?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Exodus 22

2 If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; 3 but if it happens after sunrise, the defender is guilty of bloodshed.

This was generally interpreted as killing someone at night if you don't know whether the intruder was armed or not was permissible. God gave us an out here, and we were protected from blood guilt even if we were not sure about the severity of the threat as ours, and our families safety takes precedence over the life of the intruder. However, in daytime, one could see whether they were armed or not, and could determine the severity of the threat again. The prescription in the Torah for a thief was restitution, not imprisonment or death, but they were to pay back what was stolen.

Personally, I'd have no hesitation neutralizing the threat if it was a matter of my families life or theirs, and if they were still alive, give them the salvation message before they breathed their last breath.

I believe in the end days, and the violence and tribulation upon the earth, we all most contemplate, pray and decide what action we each will take in any given circumstance. Surely God never changed his mind about someone protecting their home and family from a threat in good conscience?

why is it that when ryan posts, even when there is no like option. it says both ryan and I like that post?

The earliest Christian teaching is they wouldn't use violence at all, for any reason.
Butch5,
will you please back this with scripture? Now, you say the earliest Christians, one of whom cut a servant's ear off. And since we are discussing the earliest Christian converts, please use the Bible they used, the first 39 books of, what we find in the Christian versions because they had not written the New Testament and therefore, it was not canonized yet.

Why do you think this is talking about stealing someone else's slave?
KJV
Exo 21:16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

I believe this is a similar law in Deut.
Deu 24:7 If a man be found stealing any of his brethren of the children of Israel, and maketh merchandise of him, or selleth him; then that thief shall die; and thou shalt put evil away from among you.

In both cases it sounds to me like kidnapping either to keep or to sell.
That was just my understanding. If I kidnapped your slave I suppose you could say I stole him. If you stole my slave I might say you kidnapped him.It kinda works both ways.

Exodus 22

2 If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; 3 but if it happens after sunrise, the defender is guilty of bloodshed.

Surely God never changed his mind about someone protecting their home and family from a threat in good conscience?

The whole letter to the Romans explains why the law can only bring death to the person, cause our sin nature fights against the laws.

The Spirit gives life and the Spirit was given since Pentecost.

so they just died? they didn't report crimes? the context of that is a very corrupt government. here I can use a modern version along those lines.

1) no bartending
2) no working for any stores that sells cigarettes, pot and also alcohol
3) don't work for a bank, notary public and the conflict of interest
4) the same with loans as in 3

I'm not sure what you're getting at but, yes, they died if necessary. Tertullian said, 'in our religion is better to be slain than to slay'. That wasn't a personal opinion as he said, 'in our religion.'

We are but of yesterday, and we have filled every place among you—cities, islands, fortresses, towns, market-places, the very camp, tribes, companies, palace, senate, forum,—we have left nothing to you but the temples of your gods. For what wars should we not be fit, not eager, even with unequal forces, we who so willingly yield ourselves to the sword, if in our religion it were not counted better to be slain than to slay?
Early Church Fathers - – Ante-Nicene Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers Down To A.D. 325.

Butch5,
will you please back this with scripture? Now, you say the earliest Christians, one of whom cut a servant's ear off. And since we are discussing the earliest Christian converts, please use the Bible they used, the first 39 books of, what we find in the Christian versions because they had not written the New Testament and therefore, it was not canonized yet.

The apostles writings weren't applicable until some men decided they were?

The apostles writings weren't applicable until some men decided they were?
Butch, you defined this branch of the discussion and if you think anything of yourself, if you have any self respect you will not try to baffel the old fossil with manure but will furnish me with the scripture to support this "Christian" Doctrine.

Back