Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Did Adam and Eve really exist?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Orion said:
NIGHTMARE said:
Im not personally attacking you,,,, just in utter shock,,, how you make comments you make....

"I have been reading your post and im sorry to say but you sound like a poor me :crying "

It isn't surprising that you don't view things the same way as I do, for obviously, the comment above, posted by you, is a personal attack, insinuating that I am a "cry baby". I promise to not personally attack you or anyone else. :shrug

NIGHTMARE said:
You say your sincere,,,but then you say you came without with nothing from God.....Well see that makes for a big problem,,,,because God has promised He is sincere,,,and that He will bless you if your sincere......

So either you dont understand your blessings....

Our your just to darn faithless and doubtful......

And im not getting on you or nothing of that sort,,,but you spoke the first personal attack,,,,,,,when you said

It isn't my fault if that is the case. It isn't MY doing. Again, I was sincere. I've prayed for years with an earnest heart, . . . .and was sorry each time (in other words, I came away with nothing).

Sounds like a personal attack on the faithfulness of God to me....IF this is true (which I think not) then blame yourself.........You know some dont that critizing God to lightly.......

You're right that God shares blame (if what you say is true) because I WAS sincere, and no one but me can make a judgement on my motives but me. Believe me, . . . I was quite sincere. I realize that the Bible promises that the sincere will be blessed, but that doesn't hold true every time. I sincerely searched . . . and what I found was myself, alone in my room, with only my own thoughts. I would be all for hearing something, even today.

NIGHTMARE said:
-------As far as evidence for Adam and Eve,,,,,,,ummmmmmmm ,,,,

Ok I cant provide evidence that I had a great great great great great great great great grandmother ,,,,I guess she doesnt exist,,,wait::::that means??????

Your evidence is that each person has a set of biological parents. You can extend this into the past.

My ONLY comment was to those who believe that the earth and universe was created ~6,000 - 10,000 years ago, going soley on biblical geneologies. Of that, I can only point you to my previous post to whirlwind as to the extent I can go on this topic.

Im not much for insinuating,,,what I said was

"I have been reading your post and im sorry to say but you sound like a poor me :crying

I said you sound,,,not that you are but at the present moment you sound like it,,,and you do..

Im not saying I havent fealt like that I think most people have ,,,but I wouldnt go so far as to say God has done nothing for me,, or in your words (come away empty handed).......Now if you really believe you were sincere (im not saying you werent) and God did nothing for you then we have a serious problem dont ya think????????

I mean if we cant depend on God when we are trully sincere then why are you wasting your time????? Its hard for me to believe you came away with nothing everytime......

See why do you say stuff like this
I was quite sincere. I realize that the Bible promises that the sincere will be blessed, but that doesn't hold true every time.

Yes it does,,, everytime,,,, God is faithful and your really smearing GOd,,,,maybe your looking for worldy blessing,,,,,from a God who is more interested in your mind/spirit/soul.....

Its laughable because I know people in such worse shape then you and your complaining :confused

My ONLY comment was to those who believe that the earth and universe was created ~6,000 - 10,000 years ago, going soley on biblical geneologies. Of that, I can only point you to my previous post to whirlwind as to the extent I can go on this topic

The earth was created along time ago,,,, waaaaaaaaaay over 6,000 to 10,000 years ago but it was rejuvenated some time around then....Sure we can go to any extent you would like, but its not really a hard study or nothing like that,,,,, the hebrew makes it very clear that God created the earth and later God almost totally destroyed it then God revived it.......

My only "complaint", NIGHTMARE, is that I heard/felt/saw nothing different than normal. Just me, my own thoughts, and a promise that other people claimed they had. I looked for it. "I knocked on the door", . . . no one answered. This isn't about "not getting what I wanted". It is about the nothing-ness of my attempt. I started digging into other things, however, and may have come to the place of a "spiritual impass". Things I used to believe in, such AS the literal Genesis accounts (not just A & E), were discovered to be full of problems and issues, to the point where I may no longer NEED to come here in search for answers (and that has been my goal). You all may be rid of me sooner than you think.

Orion said:
My only "complaint", NIGHTMARE, is that I heard/felt/saw nothing different than normal. Just me, my own thoughts, and a promise that other people claimed they had. I looked for it. "I knocked on the door", . . . no one answered. This isn't about "not getting what I wanted". It is about the nothing-ness of my attempt. I started digging into other things, however, and may have come to the place of a "spiritual impass". Things I used to believe in, such AS the literal Genesis accounts (not just A & E), were discovered to be full of problems and issues, to the point where I may no longer NEED to come here in search for answers (and that has been my goal). You all may be rid of me sooner than you think.

I dont think anyone here wants to be rid of you......

That may or may not be the case, . . . though I'm sure some would be glad. . . . I've been a bit of a trouble causer. :yes

The issue is, I've come to the place where I've moving from "looking for answers" to "being JUST a trouble causer", so it is best that I soon . . . move on. I've learned too much to be able to be a TRUTHFUL Christian, . . . . .one who can say they are and fully mean it. I would be deceiving myself if I did.

I appreciate everyone's comments on here, though. At most, I may post where I agree with someone else, but will probably not post my own thoughts directly.

Orion said:
That may or may not be the case, . . . though I'm sure some would be glad. . . . I've been a bit of a trouble causer. :yes

The issue is, I've come to the place where I've moving from "looking for answers" to "being JUST a trouble causer", so it is best that I soon . . . move on. I've learned too much to be able to be a TRUTHFUL Christian, . . . . .one who can say they are and fully mean it. I would be deceiving myself if I did.

I appreciate everyone's comments on here, though. At most, I may post where I agree with someone else, but will probably not post my own thoughts directly.

Someone once told me, because I asked so many questions, like some unnamed constellation that begins with an O, :lol that when I finally found myself just where He wanted me to be that I would be a true soldier. The answers are there Orion. They are written for you to find.

• Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: But the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Consider the following in your quest....

• 11 Peter 3:5-7 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

We are "willingly ignorant" that there was a previous age, and that "the world that then was" perished in a great flood. This is not speaking of Noah's flood, which Peter wrote of in [2:4-6], but is about the first age.

• Jeremiah 4:22-23 For My people is foolish, they have not known Me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge. I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was (became) without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

4:25-26 I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD and by His fierce anger.

That too speaks of the first age. We are foolish and refuse to understand, are willingly ignorant that there was a previous age. When God flooded the earth then even the heavens were shaken, "had no light" and the "cities" on earth were destroyed. We know this isn't about Noah's flood as here there was "no man."

Keep looking Orion. :yes

Orion said:

what do want from God??????

The Bible is very clear.
Not only do we see that the Holy Spirit (who inspired the writer of Genesis) states the fact directly in the Old Testament --we also see within the genealogy of Christ the same teaching.

Luk 3:22-23 KJV said:
- And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was [the son] of Heli,
  • [list:3cjd8ijh]... [the full genealogy omitted]
[/list:u:3cjd8ijh]
Luk 3:38 KJV - Which was [the son] of Enos, which was [the son] of Seth, which was [the son] of Adam, which was [the son] of God.

Not only did Adam and Eve exist but also there is indeed a resurrection of the dead.
Our faith is not in vain.

KJV said:
1Cr 15:12-26
Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?

But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

And if Christ be not risen, then [is] our preaching vain, and your faith [is] also vain.

Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.

For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:

And if Christ be not raised, your faith [is] vain; ye are yet in your sins.

Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

But now is Christ risen from the dead, [and] become the firstfruits of them that slept.

For since by man [came] death, by man [came] also the resurrection of the dead.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

Then [cometh] the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

The last enemy [that] shall be destroyed [is] death.

1Cr 15:34 KJV - Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak [this] to your shame.

1Cr 15:45 KJV - And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.

1Cr 15:47-53 KJV - The first man [is] of the earth, earthy: the second man [is] the Lord from heaven.

As [is] the earthy, such [are] they also that are earthy: and as [is] the heavenly, such [are] they also that are heavenly.

And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality.

1Cr 15:58 KJV - Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

We know our labor is not in vain.
:amen

~Sparrow, son of Adam; looking forward to that day!

Dave Slayer said:
Did Adam and Eve really exist? Some have said they were not actual people but allegorical. But if Jesus descended from Adam, then what purpose would the allegorical Adam and Eve serve? Did sin enter the world through an allegory?
depends.

Orion said:
The earth and universe are definitely very old. I'm not necessarily an evolutionist. There are some indications that would point that way, but I don't believe we can fully know that far in the past. As for Adam and Eve, I still believe that the story of them in Genesis was a metaphorical story based on two potentially real people who were the founders of what would eventually become Abrahamic religions.
What you have here is a reasonable viewpoint that is not overtly anti-biblical because you at least allow for the possibility that Adam and Eve existed as two individuals. :thumb

Thanks, Sinthesis. It would also serve to answer the problems with "the age of the earth" as people could have lived for countless years before they (A & E) were called to be the beginnings of a religion. . . plus their son's (Cain) wife, and the "land of Nod", fall into place as what they would be. He met up with other people who already lived east of where he was raised.

:)

"Did Adam and Eve really exist?"

We know Isaiah was a real person. Was his father real also?
We know Hezekiah was a real person. Was his father real also?
Who's father was not real?
Where at what point in the line of Christ was a person real but his father was not?

Rick W said:
Where at what point in the line of Christ was a person real but his father was not?

Good question that's probably impossible to answer but it does nothing to address the historicity of Adam/Eve.

Finis,
Eric

Dave Slayer said:
Did Adam and Eve really exist? Some have said they were not actual people but allegorical. But if Jesus descended from Adam, then what purpose would the allegorical Adam and Eve serve? Did sin enter the world through an allegory?
yes, they did

wavy said:
Rick W said:

Good question that's probably impossible to answer but it does nothing to address the historicity of Adam/Eve.

Finis,
Eric
As far as the scriptural account, it does indeed.
Can we expect professing NONbelievers to do anything except doubt ?

Rick W said:
"Did Adam and Eve really exist?"

Good points Rick.
AT some point professing Christians will have to either trust Gods word or just claim that its false.
And if its false in one place, then it could be in another....why trust ANY OF it at that rate.

We're as bad as the Jews, picking and choosing we WANT to believe.

follower of Christ said:
[quote="Rick W":30oykttp]"Did Adam and Eve really exist?"

Good points Rick.
AT some point professing Christians will have to either trust Gods word or just claim that its false.
And if its false in one place, then it could be in another....why trust ANY OF it at that rate.

We're as bad as the Jews, picking and choosing we WANT to believe.

.[/quote:30oykttp]
because its cool to fit in , we dont want to stick out and be a christian, now do we.

jasoncran said:
because its cool to fit in , we dont want to stick out and be a christian, now do we.
That does seem to be the point with some of the things people believe. Compromising Gods truth with the world and what it wants to believe so we arent ridiculed.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back