Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Do we love the truth!

James 4:7
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

1 Peter 5:8-9
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:
9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
Our salvation is in our hands.
By what power?
By the power of the Holy Ghost within the repentant, reborn, new creature.
Ephesians 6:10-11
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Philippians 2:13
13 For it is God who works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Thanks be to God for the power to remain free from sin !

Our salvation is in our hands.

No, our salvation is in God's hands. We simply receive our salvation from Him as a gift undeserved.

By the power of the Holy Ghost within the repentant, reborn, new creature.

We resist the devil by the power of the Holy Spirit (among other things).

Thanks be to God for the power to remain free from sin !

Which we can enjoy only so long as we walk with God in constant, conscious, humble submission to His will and way - what the apostle Paul called "walking in the Spirit." (Galatians 5:16, 25)

No, our salvation is in God's hands. We simply receive our salvation from Him as a gift undeserved.
Keeping that gift is in our hands.
We resist the devil by the power of the Holy Spirit (among other things).
Which we can enjoy only so long as we walk with God in constant, conscious, humble submission to His will and way - what the apostle Paul called "walking in the Spirit." (Galatians 5:16, 25)
Walking in the Spirit is in our hands.
It is a choice the lovers of the truth, and of the Truth, make, day after day.

Jesus teaches us that we must believe in order to be saved.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Is this what you are teaching?

JLB

The Beatitudes describe what is true for those who are saved. They are the poor in spirit, they mourn, they are meek, they hunger and thirst for righteousness, they are merciful, they are pure in heart, they are peacemakers, and they are persecuted for righteousness’ sake. Having these traits does not save you. You inherit these traits from your heavenly Father when He gives birth to you spiritually.

The same is true for all the commandments. Obeying commandments cannot save you (Ga 3:21). But when you become saved, all the righteous requirements of the commandments are fulfilled in you because Jesus is in you (Ro 8).

And sin avoidance is impossible in the flesh because of the corruption of the flesh (Ro 8). But it is totally avoided in the new man, which is "created according to God in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph 4:24).
Absurd!

Why don’t it say “blessed are those who believe in me by faith alone, they are saved”?

Again, here is my question -

Do you believe a person who departs from the living God is still in Christ; still remains saved?
It is possible for a saved person to be bewitched by the deceptive tennants of legalism like many Christians of the NT were, but that does not mean they lost their salvation. But I do know by experience that the life they are living is like a living hell, being sujected to the curse of the law until they repent and again give Christ full credit for their salvation. As mentioned in seversal Scriptures, there is always an uncertainty in the minds of those who observe legalistic bevior in people who profess to be Christians that their faith in Christ may not have been the kind of faith that leads to salvation. But the passage from which you are quoting make it clear that God knows the truth of the matter because everything (including the thoughts and intents of the heart) is an open book to Him. For that reason, each of us must be dilligent to actually rest our whole weight on Christ and stop working for our salvation.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

??? Please read my posts more carefully. I've answered this question very directly and plainly already in them. Feel free to go back and consider them some more.

It is possible for a saved person to be bewitched by the deceptive tennants of legalism like many Christians of the NT were, but that does not mean they lost their salvation. But I do know by experience that the life they are living is like a living hell, being sujected to the curse of the law until they repent and again give Christ full credit for their salvation. As mentioned in seversal Scriptures, there is always an uncertainty in the minds of those who observe legalistic bevior in people who profess to be Christians that their faith in Christ may not have been the kind of faith that leads to salvation. But the passage from which you are quoting make it clear that God knows the truth of the matter because everything (including the thoughts and intents of the heart) is an open book to Him. For that reason, each of us must be dilligent to actually rest our whole weight on Christ and stop working for our salvation.

No one can earn their salvation by doing good works, or the works of the law, or works that earn a wage.

However, only those who obey the Gospel are saved.

This is called the obedience of faith.

The obedience of faith is what contextually, the entire book of Romans is about.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26 KJV

Do you understand this principle?

JLB

??? Please read my posts more carefully. I've answered this question very directly and plainly already in them. Feel free to go back and consider them some more.

A simple direct answer of yes or no is what I am asking.

It’s best to teach directly what Jesus taught. If we don’t then we run the risk of teaching heresy.

JLB

Yes, we stand in the grace of God, we possess the eternal life that only exists in Jesus, and we are joined to the Lord and are one spirit with Him. It doesn't get any better than that on earth. It will be even better in heaven when we see Him face to face.
So we are not saved only in the grace that justifies and we can lose it!

Absurd!

Why don’t it say “blessed are those who believe in me by faith alone, they are saved”?
It's not absurd, it is what differentiates the saved from the lost...

14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. (1 Jn 3:14–15)​

When a person passes from death to life, he loves his brothers and sisters in Christ. If he recognizes that he loves his brothers and sisters in Christ, then that is evidence to him of his own salvation. If he does not find love in his heart for other people in whom Christ lives, then that is evidence to him that he is not actually saved. Loving fellow Christians, therefore, is not the means to be saved, it is evidence of one's own salvation for the one who observes it in himself.

The same thing is true for all the commandments. This is what is meant by, "I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts" (Jer 31:33). When Jesus comes to live in our hearts, he brings with Him all God's righteous requirements. As a result, all the righteous requirements of the law are fulfilled in those of us in whom Christ dwells. Love for God, love for the things of God, and love for the people of God is in us, not because we choose it for ourselves, but because He has come to live in us and has made us one with Him. Now, we choose to live out what He put in us when He came to live in our hearts.

No one can earn their salvation by doing good works, or the works of the law, or works that earn a wage.

However, only those who obey the Gospel are saved.

This is called the obedience of faith.

The obedience of faith is what contextually, the entire book of Romans is about.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26 KJV

Do you understand this principle?

JLB
Apparently not. Please explain it to me.

A simple direct answer of yes or no is what I am asking.

It’s best to teach directly what Jesus taught. If we don’t then we run the risk of teaching heresy.

This is a form of fallacious proof-texting. Narrow the scope of the biblical text you want to hold up in support of your view so that any scriptural qualification, or clarification, or even contradiction of your view is prevented. This is always what false doctrine relies upon, at some point.

I've already provided a very clear answer to your question above which you are simply ignoring. I'm not going to give another one, however, since there was nothing wrong with it. So, if you're really interested in my answer, go back and read again what I wrote.

Also, all of God's word is from God, who is Jesus. There is, then, no portion of the Bible that can be separated from the rest as "what Jesus taught." He is the Ultimate Source of all of Scripture and so we ought to take it all as such, allowing it all to qualify, clarify and order how we understand any single part of it. It is those who want to treat Scripture as though this isn't the case who are quickest to migrate into heresy. This isn't to say that immediate context isn't the most important context in understanding any single word, or verse, or passage - it is - but what truth we want to extract from God's word must, in the end, also comport well with the entirety of the Bible. As I've shown in this thread, your views don't do this.

No, I don't believe this. If what you write here were true, we would be our own Saviours. There's only one Saviour, however. Acts 4:12.
Does your mechanic drive your car for you ?
No ?
Neither does Jesus drive my vessel.
He has, however, provided me with the means to do so myself.
Thanks be to God.

In the same way, my going to Christ for salvation and my belief in the Gospel aren't what save me. These things merely put me in the right place to be saved by the Savior. I could believe with all my heart and do all I can think of to prompt Christ to save me (pray, plead, clean up my act, go to church, etc.), but if he doesn't save me, I will never be saved. This is because, as I said, it isn't my faith that saves me (or any good deed that I do) but the object of my faith, Jesus Christ.
The drawing of the Holy Spirit is what we are heeding when we come to the saving knowledge Jesus Christ . That is the right place . It is not by our power we are saved , I agree with what you are saying .

John 6
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Maybe this helps JLB ?

I've already provided a very clear answer to your question above which you are simply ignoring.

My view is that each person must believe in Christ to be saved.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

Is this what you believe?

The drawing of the Holy Spirit is what we are heeding when we come to the saving knowledge Jesus Christ . That is the right place . It is not by our power we are saved , I agree with what you are saying .

John 6
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Maybe this helps JLB ?

Jesus Christ paid the price of the cross for our salvation.

If one does not believe this then how can they be saved?

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

Back