Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you cook with gas ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What does God say about CO2, CO, processed foods, fast foods, soda, etc.? These are things within man's dominion. Sometimes the government does know better, since they have access to science and data that the average person does not, and even though it takes time, they often do change things as the data becomes available. Some people really do need to cut their salt intake and watch the amount of certain types of fats they eat. That many people continually make poor decisions isn't even questionable.
You may have a point here except how much liberty should we relinquish to our government? What's wrong with having government point out the risks and then let us decide for ourselves the course of action we wish to take?

You may have a point here except how much liberty should we relinquish to our government? What's wrong with having government point out the risks and then let us decide for ourselves the course of action we wish to take?
Certain choices of sex already are in there eyes.

Because the goal of many people is their own selfish interest, regardless of how it affects others. Part of the Declaration of Independence reads "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.-That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,-That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles sand organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

The problem with pointing out risks is that studies show that information by itself is pretty much useless. There are many factors that go into an individual's decision-making process, so people still make poor decisions when given the right information.

I have exercise induced asthma

Triggers can be as asthma shifts .
Pet dander ,dog fur ( best ban pets ) ,grass cuttings ,tree pollen .and job related triggers .

Right. It's like put warnings and educating people of triggers. If people are legitimately getting asthma from gas stoves or triggering asthma, explain it. Let people decide. It's under 20% according to their studies. Besides that none of these people wanting gas stoves banned trust in God. And therefore I don't trust what they say.

There is nothing in the news about eliminating gas stoves that has any merit. It is clearly an exaggeration.

Well they're trying to phase them out by building homes that doesn't have gas lines, it's all electric. Then you have these people buying up homes, renovating them and removing the gas lines to limit people's choices. It's a big deal if this push manages to cut the gas service in your area then reducing the amount of gas stoves in stores. The plan they had though was to ban new gas stoves and that just limits people's choices.

We have used gas stoves and gas vehicles for over a century. But now all of a sudden we have problems with them? All they are doing here is making life more difficult for everyone else.

We have used gas stoves and gas vehicles for over a century. But now all of a sudden we have problems with them? All they are doing here is making life more difficult for everyone else.
Now they're finding out there are problems with them. That's kind of how science works.

Now they're finding out there are problems with them. That's kind of how science works.

Again, these people don't trust in God so I don't trust their results. Neither is banning gas stoves a legitimate solution. If they legitimately have a health problem with them, then put a warning up until they can fix the health issue without flat out banning what people need on the daily basis.

You can't ban fire, killers or everyday risks you have no control over. It's live and let live. You don't have to use a gas stove if you don't want one in your home but I do and well aware of the carbon monoxide risk it poses but we have detectors for that and I have God to rely on as well.

There is nothing in the news about eliminating gas stoves that has any merit. It is clearly an exaggeration.
One more article , pay attention to what CPSC Commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. a US govt. official said . Does this sound like an exaggeration ? Are Gas Stoves Doomed? From the link . Article date 1/13/23

"Then, on Monday, the fracas got well and truly under way, when Richard Trumka Jr., a member of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, said in an interview with Bloomberg News that the commission would consider a full prohibition on gas stoves. “This is a hidden hazard,” he said. “Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned.”

Again, these people don't trust in God so I don't trust their results.
Why not? You pretty couldn't trust anything if you applied that reasoning consistently.

Neither is banning gas stoves a legitimate solution. If they legitimately have a health problem with them, then put a warning up until they can fix the health issue without flat out banning what people need on the daily basis.
There is no fixing the health issue; it's a natural consequence of cooking with natural gas.

You can't ban fire, killers or everyday risks you have no control over.
Cooking with gas is something we do have control over.

Why not? You pretty couldn't trust anything if you applied that reasoning consistently.

There is no fixing the health issue; it's a natural consequence of cooking with natural gas.

Probably, however placing a ban on gas stoves isn't the answer.

And I noticed the goal post moving with these people..

Seems like when these people get backlash they back off. Much like Bidens original agenda was to ban the sale of new gas vehicles by 2035. Then do it behind our backs.

I've lived around gas stoves most of my life with no ill effects. Where do we draw the line here?

Asthma is why Florida settlers literally stayed here
They suffered severely .I know I have it .not many days here I don't have a cough or wheezing .

Given you only cooked with fire places then and or Spanish kitchens ,an outdoor fire pit surely this would have been noticed .

It's why I suggested ventilation

What does God say about CO2, CO, processed foods, fast foods, soda, etc.? These are things within man's dominion. Sometimes the government does know better, since they have access to science and data that the average person does not, and even though it takes time, they often do change things as the data becomes available. Some people really do need to cut their salt intake and watch the amount of certain types of fats they eat. That many people continually make poor decisions isn't even questionable.
Wow! All I can say is some really have you bamboozled and you need to understand the Bible has all the answers. The Bible answers about fire and thus the emissions (and even if the population is living right there is no such thing as overpopulation and exhausting the Earth's resources). The Bible answers about lifestyle and foods to eat. I agree that processed food is no good but the Bible also talks about Kosher which the rest seem to think the likes of me is "legalistic" so as James would say about the tongue putting out cursing and blessing. You can't have a "low fat" "low sodium" and other "healthy" choices if one is going to eat it with shrimp and pork.

What people need to have better access to is the Bible and not just data (which done right will support the Bible anyway). And why do they say watch your sodium? I say I don't eat any sodium in its pure form. It's toxic and starts on fire in air and water. But I do eat salt. Talk normally I always say. Salt represents eternalness. As Jesus said it is good. The Davidic Covenant is a Covenant of salt which means there would be a decedent of King David on the throne in all generations as the Bible teaches and one day Jesus will then assume that throne from the person on it. As a side note, I find that sprinkling salt seems to ward off demons and even Dracula - makes me wonder if those who advocate no salt are from the same crowd?

Even with questions such as the fish oils DHA and EPA the scientists were toying with the idea that one is good and the other is bad and they cancel each other. What do we believe? I went to the Bible and it answered even that. (Bonus info: They don't cancel each other. The scientists are wrong if indeed they believe that; perhaps getting a more political and consensus mentality rather than looking for solid evidence and truth?)

I think Christians everywhere, and perhaps you yourself need to be less worldly and more Biblical in perspective that the end is coming upon us. Yeah, I agree it's not in gas stoves. It's just one of many straws even if it's just a diversion that show the despotism coming upon us all very suddenly if you noticed. Same with electric cars, same with mandatory shots, same with losing one's job for their beliefs, same with "Respect for marriage act", the same with drag Queens that look like crazy clowns teaching kids in schools while a Christian author (almost cancelled) had to fight tooth and nail to read Christian stories in a town's library (which BTW had a crowd so large they could not fit them all - more than the drag Queen crowd) and the same with a lot of other stuff. etc etc etc all this is crazy and demonic stuff thrown on the people lately. Are we awake and being watchful or are we calling each straw "not a big deal to worry about". Do I need to say more? I have more lists of so-called insignificant straws if one wants.

To conclude, I'm not so much concerned about gas stoves, per se as much as some that name the name of Christ do not see that this is not about gas stoves at all, but a bigger picture of the end times forming in place; whether or not in my lifetime I'm not sure, but based on a historic timeline I see it coming soon by God's timing. Stay awake.

The problem with pointing out risks is that studies show that information by itself is pretty much useless. There are many factors that go into an individual's decision-making process, so people still make poor decisions when given the right information.
Poor for whom? What is undesirable for you may not be the same as for me.

But then to your point....
When I was working I served on our company's product safety committee. We analyzed and advised on how to make our products as safe as possible for the operators while keeping the equipment user friendly. One of our machines was a shrinkwrapper. This is a machine that wraps plastic around a product and then heat shrinks it. One example is the plastic wrapped bottles of water you find at various retailers.

The plastic film comes on a large roll which is passed through two sets of "nip rollers" similar to the old wringer-washing machines. Between the two sets of rollers is an extremely sharp serrated knife on a rotary shaft that is engaged to cut the film to length as it passes through.

We have both text and graphic warning labels all over that area to remind operators of the pinch points and dangerously sharp knife. The graphic even shows fingers being severed with drops of blood. It's very graphic. The area is behind clear plastic guards that have interlocking switches to detect when the doors are open. The interlocking switches require a physical key mounted on the door with dual redundant circuits to detect when the door is opened. Those two circuits are monitored by an electronic safety relay. When a door is closed, both of those circuits must close within 5ms of each other and remain closed or the monitoring relay does not enable the machine to operate. This is to help protect against tampering.

The operator's panel is intentionally located far enough away from the area that it is not possible for a person to jimmy the door interlock switch and then press any control buttons while being down in that area. Our operator's manual is loaded with safety protocols and warnings for safe operation, not only in a chapter/section for safety but interlaced throughout the manual as well. We provided training both at time of installation and follow-up if requested. On more than one occasion there have been people injured because they still managed to violate all of their company's safety protocols, our operator safety protocols, and just plain stupidity.

Here's one example in particular. When it becomes necessary to initially feed new plastic film into those nip rollers it is necessary to somehow hold the film against the first set and then slowly jog the nip rollers to pull the film through, past the knife, and into the second set of rollers. To reduce this need as much as possible we also developed a means to join a new roll of film to an old one when the old one is nearly used up. We programmed the machine to determine when that was needed, stop the machine, and alert the operator that it was time to splice in a new roll. It's all done without even opening the guard package around the nip rollers.

But sometimes it is necessary to start a new film into the rollers so we provided a rubber card about 12" square. The operators were trained to fold the end of the film around the edge of that card and jam it into the first set of rollers. Now, he/she can close the guard door and walk over to the control panel, select the film jog function, which disables the knife so it doesn't try to cut the card, and slowly feed the film through the nip rollers, then stop and remove the card, and select film manual cycle to run one cycle of film at full speed with the knife in operation to prepare it for normal function. It takes less than 2 minutes to do this and have the machine ready to restart.

Well, one operator decided to get a friend and instead of following procedure and using the card, he somehow bypassed the door interlock switches, held the film against the nip rollers with his fingers, and had a buddy jog the rollers. This would have been okay because in jog the rollers move very slowly but unfortunately for him, his buddy chose film manual cycle instead of jog. When he pressed the start button, the nip rollers ran at full speed with the knife activated and the sudden acceleration of the film pulled the operator's fingers and hand into the nip roller and the knife cut the tips of three fingers off. Also those nip rollers' tension was maintained by a spring system so he was stuck there with his hand in the nip rollers until maintenance could release the spring tension to get his hand back out.

We still have people driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
We still have people texting while driving, dialing phones while driving, doing crossword puzzles, reading, dialing phones, and other distractive practices while driving.
We still have people speeding, passing on the right in right turn only lanes, tailgating, and other things.
We still have people bypassing safety protocols at work and at home.
One day years ago I was driving home from work and saw out in the distance a farmer with the cutting head of his swather up in the air with the machine running as I could see the reel turning and sitting on the ground under the head doing something with a hammer. He was basically trusting his life to an o-ring in a hydraulic valve. If it failed or a hose broke, he'd have been killed.

For because of these careless or outright stupid people, do we ban the use of industrial equipment, automobiles, farm equipment, and so forth? Where's the line to be drawn?

Last edited:
Yes, I cook with a gas stove . If gas stoves are banned would it affect you ?

Biden administration weighs nationwide ban on gas stoves: report

"Clip from link .
The Biden administration is considering a nationwide ban on gas stoves — citing the harmful pollutants released by the appliances, according to a report.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is mulling the action after recent studies showed emissions from the devices can cause health and respiratory problems, Bloomberg reported Monday.

“This is a hidden hazard,” CPSC Commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. told the outlet. “Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned.”"

If gas stoves were banned, it wouldn't affect me until they shut the gas off. Will they turn off my heat so I can't use my gas cook stove?!

I bought this gas stove brand new just a few short years back. But I think I seen this problem coming because I bought my neighbors old gas stove that uses a poilot light! So even in a power outtage I have an oven.

They left a bog of LP gas orifices screwed to the back of the stove, lol!. So another LP gas bottle made sense.

Now I'm not one to go stirring up trouble and start talking defend your stove (Lol), but lets just say if I am at home minding my own business cooking dinner, and Delta force rolls in with a warrant for my stove, then what's a guy to do?!

Actually the health issue is a possibility no matter what method is used for cooking. With gas, the exhaust is in the home. With electricity, the exhaust is in the atmosphere both in and out of our homes.

Poor for whom? What is undesirable for you may not be the same as for me.
In terms of air pollutants, are there ones that one person finds desirable and not another? In terms of fast food, is there some that is good for one person and not another?

But then to your point....
When I was working I served on our company's product safety committee. We analyzed and advised on how to make our products as safe as possible for the operators while keeping the equipment user friendly. One of our machines was a shrinkwrapper. This is a machine that wraps plastic around a product and then heat shrinks it. One example is the plastic wrapped bottles of water you find at various retailers.

The plastic film comes on a large roll which is passed through two sets of "nip rollers" similar to the old wringer-washing machines. Between the two sets of rollers is an extremely sharp serrated knife on a rotary shaft that is engaged to cut the film to length as it passes through.

We have both text and graphic warning labels all over that area to remind operators of the pinch points and dangerously sharp knife. The graphic even shows fingers being severed with drops of blood. It's very graphic. The area is behind clear plastic guards that have interlocking switches to detect when the doors are open. The interlocking switches require a physical key mounted on the door with dual redundant circuits to detect when the door is opened. Those two circuits are monitored by an electronic safety relay. When a door is closed, both of those circuits must close within 5ms of each other and remain closed or the monitoring relay does not enable the machine to operate. This is to help protect against tampering.

The operator's panel is intentionally located far enough away from the area that it is not possible for a person to jimmy the door interlock switch and then press any control buttons while being down in that area. Our operator's manual is loaded with safety protocols and warnings for safe operation, not only in a chapter/section for safety but interlaced throughout the manual as well. We provided training both at time of installation and follow-up if requested. On more than one occasion there have been people injured because they still managed to violate all of their company's safety protocols, our operator safety protocols, and just plain stupidity.

Here's one example in particular. When it becomes necessary to initially feed new plastic film into those nip rollers it is necessary to somehow hold the film against the first set and then slowly jog the nip rollers to pull the film through, past the knife, and into the second set of rollers. To reduce this need as much as possible we also developed a means to join a new roll of film to an old one when the old one is nearly used up. We programmed the machine to determine when that was needed, stop the machine, and alert the operator that it was time to splice in a new roll. It's all done without even opening the guard package around the nip rollers.

But sometimes it is necessary to start a new film into the rollers so we provided a rubber card about 12" square. The operators were trained to fold the end of the film around the edge of that card and jam it into the first set of rollers. Now, he/she can close the guard door and walk over to the control panel, select the film jog function, which disables the knife so it doesn't try to cut the card, and slowly feed the film through the nip rollers, then stop and remove the card, and select film manual cycle to run one cycle of film at full speed with the knife in operation to prepare it for normal function. It takes less than 2 minutes to do this and have the machine ready to restart.

Well, one operator decided to get a friend and instead of following procedure and using the card, he somehow bypassed the door interlock switches, held the film against the nip rollers with his fingers, and had a buddy jog the rollers. This would have been okay because in jog the rollers move very slowly but unfortunately for him, his buddy chose film manual cycle instead of jog. When he pressed the start button, the nip rollers ran at full speed with the knife activated and the sudden acceleration of the film pulled the operator's fingers and hand into the nip roller and the knife cut the tips of three fingers off. Also those nip rollers' tension was maintained by a spring system so he was stuck there with his hand in the nip rollers until maintenance could release the spring tension to get his hand back out.

We still have people driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
We still have people texting while driving, dialing phones while driving, doing crossword puzzles, reading, dialing phones, and other distractive practices while driving.
We still have people speeding, passing on the right in right turn only lanes, tailgating, and other things.
We still have people bypassing safety protocols at work and at home.
One day years ago I was driving home from work and saw out in the distance a farmer with the cutting head of his swather up in the air with the machine running as I could see the reel turning and sitting on the ground under the head doing something with a hammer. He was basically trusting his life to an o-ring in a hydraulic valve. If it failed or a hose broke, he'd have been killed.

For because of these careless or outright stupid people, do we ban the use of industrial equipment, automobiles, farm equipment, and so forth? Where's the line to be drawn?
This rather supports my points. With all the things you listed, there has been a ton of information out there for a long time, so we once again see that information is not the solution. People still make poor decisions regardless of the information they are given. Also, none of these are the things that cause the problems, it is the people doing or using these things that are the problem. We don't ban automobiles because a drunk person can drive one or people are distracted; we try and deter people from drinking and driving, or texting, or whatever.

When it comes to gas stoves though, it is the burning of the gas itself that is the problem, not the person using it.

Besides, I never made the argument that they should ban gas stoves. I was merely pointing out that there is some legitimate reasoning behind the idea. Although, there never was a statement or plan that they were going to ban them. I suspect the right-wing latched onto something said, simply because it was said by the left, took it out of context, and ran with it.

Thanks for that information! :lol

Actually the health issue is a possibility no matter what method is used for cooking. With gas, the exhaust is in the home. With electricity, the exhaust is in the atmosphere both in and out of our homes.

Carbon monoxide? It is wonderfully easy to be safe with carbon monoxide;. Just look at the home. If yours is a newer home, man they build them pretty much airtight so you better crack a window.

My house was built in 1904 and it still has original windows single pane everywhere. So I don't need to crack a window, lol.

Stoves are not too many btu's but if you have a wood burne, it can be cheap to feed but wood fires take an ernomous amout of air as compared to gas.

In terms of air pollutants, are there ones that one person finds desirable and not another? In terms of fast food, is there some that is good for one person and not another?

This rather supports my points. With all the things you listed, there has been a ton of information out there for a long time, so we once again see that information is not the solution. People still make poor decisions regardless of the information they are given. Also, none of these are the things that cause the problems, it is the people doing or using these things that are the problem. We don't ban automobiles because a drunk person can drive one or people are distracted; we try and deter people from drinking and driving, or texting, or whatever.

When it comes to gas stoves though, it is the burning of the gas itself that is the problem, not the person using it.

Besides, I never made the argument that they should ban gas stoves. I was merely pointing out that there is some legitimate reasoning behind the idea. Although, there never was a statement or plan that they were going to ban them. I suspect the right-wing latched onto something said, simply because it was said by the left, took it out of context, and ran with it.
Well, the person using the gas stove made the decision to use it in the first place. This goes to my argument in the "Just Say No" thread about firearms. It's not the tool but the person using the tool that is the problem. There are ways to fill our bellies without needing to cook but of course that would require some forethought, preparation, and planning and yes maybe even a little more work.

Personally, I see the gas stove thing as a likely spin-off of the EV push. Just another angle to the agenda is all. For if we really think about it, automobiles are only the tip of the iceberg. Heating homes, shops, parking garages, businesses, factories, and so forth is the next highest producer of air pollution. Cooking food is another. In the end we get down to our very lives. The fact that we exist at all is a contributor to air pollution and greenhouse gases.

Eventually, and likely not in our lifetime, our fears will get us there and we'll start limiting births and when that happens, we'll even take it to the next step and put a condition on who qualifies to be able to even have children.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back