Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Does the Holy Spirit move after Acts?

I believe the perfect/mature refers to the church, returning with Christ in his second coming. That's what that word refers to the most throughout the new testament. I believe we are a continuation of acts, though we are under the authority of our leaders even concerning spiritual gifts.

7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

Clearly verse 7 is stating that if you pray the will of God, THEN it will be done. Is not the will of God to save us? The word "save" being interchangeable with "heal" but with added benefits in the greek. Save = forgiven, healed, and delivered

I'm really not trying to offend anybody, but this is a theology forum :) We also know that doctrines can't be started unless there are many supporting verses. As of now there is possible one verse that supports the theory of what you guys are saying of the Holy Spirit not moving anymore. Though, I'd beg to differ as I discussed that verse already. Also, if you have any verses stating that healing the sick or casting out demons is of the devil, then please enlighten me.

"Saved" in the Greek is "Sozo". That is the word used in all these verses.

Matthew 9:22 But Jesus turning and seeing her said ‘Daughter take courage your faith has made you well and at once the woman was made well.

Luke 8:36And those who had seen it reported to them how the man who was demon-possessed had been made well

Romans 10:9That if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you shall be saved

If the Holy Spirit does not move anymore a person can't even be saved nor can a person be convicted of sin.

What you mentioned just reminded me of this passage and what the Pharisee thought about this.

Matthew 12: 24But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “This man drives out demons only by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons.”
25He knew what they were thinking and told them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is destroyed, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.
26So if Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How, then, can his kingdom stand?
27If I drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your own followersv drive them out? That is why they will be your judges!
28But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come to you.
29How can someone go into a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions without first tying up the strong man? Then he can ransack his house.
30The person who isn’t with me is against me, and the person who isn’t gathering with me is scattering.
31So I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven,w but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
32Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come.”

In reality, I teach many people how to walk in these gifts. It's easier than it sounds brother.

The Bible says we will be endued with power when the Holy Spirit comes upon us. Why would we need that power? Its so God can work through us. The doctors cannot heal every disease but Jesus can. We have no power in ourselves, but His power in us does the work> He has always chosen to use man on this eath, we are just His hands and feet and mouth. I think the reason some think this is hard is because they say they do not have enough faith to do something like this. That is trying to put faith in ourself which is not right, when really all they need to do is have faith God can still do anything. It doesn't matter how he does it or who He does it through, He is just as powerful as ever. He didn't lose any of His power after He left or the Apostles died or after the book of Acts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, now maybe it's time for me to listen and obey the 2nd Tim 3:9b "avoid such people"

I want to help them see the light, but not to the point of draining away my peace. God bless you Blev
There will always be some who don't agree no matter what the subject is. But we can discuss something in a right attitude speaking the truth in love :)
God bless

Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

When I look around me in the world and in the church I see the sick and suffering, I see people agonizing in depression they are oppressed by the devil. Perfection has not come yet. I see all the same problems now that were here in the time of the apostles. Satan is still busy destroying all that he can. The Jews have not all received Christ. Therefore, why would I think that the gifts and signs and wonders were taken away? Why would our loving God not want the Jews of today to see these signs and wonders? There are many Jews who do attend gatherings where they see the signs and wonders and they are confessing Jesus.
I was in AZ at a very small gathering two years ago on Easter. Very few people knew each other some from as far away as NY and MA. There was a family there from NV I think. The little boy looked about 8 or 9 yrs. old. While we were all softly worshiping and praising the Lord the boy kept trying to talk to his dad and his dad kept telling him to hush. I could see the boy's frustration. He finally just stepped out and walked to the front and starred up at nothing that I could see. The father waited and then went down to get his son and they returned to their seats. The boy was telling his father, "didn't you see the ladder and the angels going up and down the ladder?" It was never pointed out in the service, In fact I think very few people even knew what had transpired. He received this gift to him with child like faith never doubting.
Do I believe the gifts are for today, yes. Do I lay hands on the sick, yes.
Just for curiousity sake, just before I began this post, I asked my grandson, he's 7, when you have a stomache and you ask Grandma to pray for you does your stomach stop hurting? Yup and he went on eatting. Who heals you? God and Jesus.
And he went on eatting. I saw we needed to work on the Triune God but his responses were that of a child. A child that knows Jesus loves him so why would Jesus not heal him. To a child it's so simple. They don't get tied up in legalities or self condemnation or any such nonsense. They just know that their father on earth never wants them sick so why would their Father in heaven.
He gave us the tools to heal His people and as a witness to the world of His love and His power.

. Dont let none take your peace nor let them run you off. God has called you here for a reason, so rejoice!

Justin,

I agree with what Mitsa is saying. There are not many here that I know of that believe this way, but slowly and surely some good seed can be planted. Maybe some are hiding LOL. You can be a light and a hope to some who have had no hope. Be encouraged and follow the leading of the Lord. You are a blessing.

----
1 Timothy 4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

James Chapter 5 3 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

14 Is any( sick )among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Ephesians 3:20-21
New King James Version (NKJV)
20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
:thumbsup

Mitspa,

Do you truly believe a man can lay his hands on another and heal them?

Hey, I'm not responding for Mitspa but I do want to respond to this question.
NO ONE that I know who believes in the gifts of the Holy Spirit believes that they are the ones doing the healing, Jesus is the healer.

I'm pretty sure you have been on threads where we have discussed that we are to die to self and allow Jesus to live through us. This is the same, Jesus using us to heal or any of the other gifts.

I don't blame you for being skeptical, there was a time when I was, too. I was taught just the same things you have stated here. "when the perfect comes..."
these gifts today are not of the Lord, but satan. And then there are those who go so far beyond what Jesus did. Jesus and the apostles didn't roll around on the floor, or handle poisonous snakes. So these make us all look like crazies in my opinion.

All the same the love of our Lord is just the same for us as it was for them. He wants us healed. Not all healing comes from the laying on of hands. It's about faith in our loving Lord, that He still heals.
Why would satan heal someone when he was responsible for the sickness in the first place? Why would he want to give glory to Jesus? Rather working against himself. If he can keep us sick he can keep us home, away from church and friends. He doesn't want the world to see us happy and whole that would only proclaim our Lord.

--

It's about faith in our loving Lord, that He still heals.
Why would satan heal someone when he was responsible for the sickness in the first place? Why would he want to give glory to Jesus? Rather working against himself. If he can keep us sick he can keep us home, away from church and friends. He doesn't want the world to see us happy and whole that would only proclaim our Lord.

And if the Lord really wanted us to be sick why take medicine or go to the doctor? That wouldn't make any sense :lol

We cant do God's will or anything else when we are sick. :)

No and I am not as transparent as you think...I have had my heart broke in 25 places....can't fix that. I would rather go through life without a leg than a broken heart.

Darn you I was just starting to think I was wrong about you and that you really are harsh and then you go and reveal this truth. You've made me cry now, I hope your happy!

Jesus is the HEALER and He WILL heal your broken heart. He can and He will.

You know He loves you, let Him heal you.

The Bible says we will be endued with power when the Holy Spirit comes upon us. Why would we need that power? Its so God can word through us. The doctors cannot heal every disease but Jesus can. We have no power in ourselves, but His power in us does the work> He has always chosen to use man on this eath, we are just His hands and feet and mouth. I think the reason some think this is hard is because they say they do not have enough faith to do something like this. That is trying to put faith in ourself which is not right, when really all they need to do is have faith God can still do anything. It doesn't matter how he does it or who He does it through, He is just as powerful as ever. He didn't lose any of His power after He left or the Apostles died or after the book of Acts.

:onfire:armed:amen Amen! Very well said brother, though the book of Acts doesn't have "Amen" because it's not finished :)

Do I believe the gifts are for today, yes. Do I lay hands on the sick, yes.
Just for curiousity sake, just before I began this post, I asked my grandson, he's 7, when you have a stomache and you ask Grandma to pray for you does your stomach stop hurting? Yup and he went on eatting. Who heals you? God and Jesus.

And he went on eatting. I saw we needed to work on the Triune God but his responses were that of a child. A child that knows Jesus loves him so why would Jesus not heal him. To a child it's so simple. They don't get tied up in legalities or self condemnation or any such nonsense. They just know that their father on earth never wants them sick so why would their Father in heaven.
He gave us the tools to heal His people and as a witness to the world of His love and His power.

That leads me to another thing, when you lay your hands and pray don't give up after the first try! So many Christians do this, but God rewards those who have fervent prayers :) God bless you and your grandson!

Justin,

I agree with what Mitsa is saying. There are not many here that I know of that believe this way, but slowly and surely some good seed can be planted. Maybe some are hiding LOL. You can be a light and a hope to some who have had no hope. Be encouraged and follow the leading of the Lord. You are a blessing.

Obviously it's more than one of us being a light :) We'll continue to be a salt of the earth and a light that stands on the hill to proclaim freedom for the captives and that the Kingdom of God is here! You are also a great blessing! God bless those who bless me :)

Hey, I'm not responding for Mitspa but I do want to respond to this question.
NO ONE that I know who believes in the gifts of the Holy Spirit believes that they are the ones doing the healing, Jesus is the healer.

I'm pretty sure you have been on threads where we have discussed that we are to die to self and allow Jesus to live through us. This is the same, Jesus using us to heal or any of the other gifts.

I don't blame you for being skeptical, there was a time when I was, too. I was taught just the same things you have stated here. "when the perfect comes..."
these gifts today are not of the Lord, but satan. And then there are those who go so far beyond what Jesus did. Jesus and the apostles didn't roll around on the floor, or handle poisonous snakes. So these make us all look like crazies in my opinion.

All the same the love of our Lord is just the same for us as it was for them. He wants us healed. Not all healing comes from the laying on of hands. It's about faith in our loving Lord, that He still heals.

Thank you for your words but I hold true to the fact of what the bible teaches....the apostles were given the gifts to speak in tongue to communicate and spread the gospel. Same goes for the gifts of healing...I have to stick with the truth and what the bible says is true. I am not against miracles or even saying I never saw miraculous things happen during my lifetime, but those "powers" were given to the disciples. God does answer our prayers...

Darn you I was just starting to think I was wrong about you and that you really are harsh and then you go and reveal this truth. You've made me cry now, I hope your happy!

The darkness has been exposed and the bitterness and pain is to show for it. It's not easy by any means to confess ones pain, I'm praying for her to be completely healed. I too understand her being skeptical, but many have already said "a kingdom divided will fall". God gets all the glory for every miracle I see! Because it is Him doing them all!

Thanks Deborah13...I get carried away and really passionate about things. I apologize for my outbursts on this thread. I had to take a few hours and reflect on things and pray...pray for peace and humility. I was once close to God but my circumstances have changed me...long story! Another 10 threads or so...

Justin,

Amen to that.

One of the many great titles of the Lord is Jehovah-Rophi: I am the Lord that healeth thee.

Having said that, the sign gifts in the New Testament were within a specific context in the Apostolic period, before the Scriptures were complete.

Thanks Deborah13...I get carried away and really passionate about things. I apologize for my outbursts on this thread. I had to take a few hours and reflect on things and pray...pray for peace and humility. I was once close to God but my circumstances have changed me...long story! Another 10 threads or so...

I was the prodigal daughter. I didn't get there because I liked to party or some other worldly lifestyle. Life is not always easy. God Bless You

Please provide a scripture that says we have the power to heal or cast out demons...I have not found one yet. No offense taken :p We are here to discuss.

Hello BornAgain. I wanted to respond to you here in order to respectfully correct something that I think you are misunderstanding, while yet "speaking the truth in love" (Ephesians 4:15). We all want to know the truth of Scripture, so please hear me out because I may be able to clarify a few things for you by letting the Scripture speak for itself. I know this is somewhat long but please read all of it, as I think it can be rewarding to look into these Scriptures!

First of all I highly recommend reading the Scriptures that Mitspa has already posted that show Jesus said we will do things greater than he did in the earth, and gave us power and authority to do it: http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=45450&p=694816&viewfull=1#post694816.

Also read this account of Paul commanding an unclean spirit to come out of a slave girl that was negatively impacting his proclamation of the Gospel (which he did with the same authority that Christ used to command the 'legion' of spirits to come out of the man who lived in the tombs and cast them into the pigs nearby in Matthew 8:31-32):

"As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling. 17 She followed Paul and us, crying out, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation." 18 And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And it came out that very hour." (Acts 16:16-18)

This was after Jesus' ascension and shows that this power to cast out evil spirits was still very much active.

Also Jesus said that in the future (at his second coming) many would come to him saying that they had cast out demons and performed miracles:

"Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?" (Matthew 7:22)

Jesus does nothing to indicate that these are phony claims, but exercising such power does not necessarily assume that you will remain faithful to God. Although to be fair Jesus does give a warning of "false prophets" in verse 15, but the jist of the rhetorical question is "Yes, we did prophesy, cast out demons, and perform miracles in your name", but that will not save them if they "practice lawlessness" (verse 23).

Also as pertains to healing, which does not always mean casting out demons but certainly means performing miracles, this is addressed in James 5:14-18:

"Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit."

Healing through faith and prayer is a power very much made available to us today which is James' whole point, especially why he mentions the miracle that occured as a result of Elijah's prayer which he says we can do also because he was a "man with a nature like ours" yet accomplished that through prayer and faith. This is available today through any "effective prayer of a righteous man".

Lastly, I would like to address another thing that you said which is very important to clarify:

BornAgain said:
There are a lot of people who have health problems, and a lot of people who we love that are sick. Are miracles still occurring today? The Bible says, “Absolutely not. In 1 Cor 13:10 Paul said, "When that which is perfect has come then that which is in part will be done away. In the context, which part?

It was a miracle with tongue speaking and the ability to do miracles. But when the perfect came that which was "in part" would be done away with.
Jesus is perfect but He had already come by the time of the writing in Corinthians.. James 1:25 tells us that we have "the perfect law of liberty. "The purpose of miracles was to confirm the Word of God. Mark 16:20 and Hebrews 2:1-4 tell us that miracles were to confirm the Word of God.

You really must pay attention to the context of 1 Corinthians 13 to understand what he is saying, because you misunderstand Paul's point. Let's look at the context for the verse you quoted:

"Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."
(1 Corinthians 13:8-13)

Immediately you should see, especially where I have hilighted the parallel thoughts that Paul is using in red & blue, that Paul is saying now (in the present day) we know in part, but then (in the future - also looking forward to "when [it] has come"). Paul's reference isn't to Jesus per se but when all things are made perfect (including us), which will include the yet future redemption of our bodies and of the earth itself which Paul speaks of just two chapters later in 1 Corinthians 15. Please reread this to understand what Paul is saying.

Also notice all the "will be" (yet future) references that Paul makes of when those gifts will one day be done away, and they clearly had not been done away in Paul's day, such as with tongues, because he even said "I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all" (1 Corinthians 14:18) in the very next chapter! Notice that at the beginning of the next chapter that he also says, "Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy" (1 Corinthians 14:1). How can you desire something that is no longer available?

When Paul was talking about perfection, he was talking about perfection yet to come and to look forward to: "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face" (1 Corinthians 13:12).

I think that if you sit down and read 1 Corinthians 12-15 all in one sitting together that this will all become clear to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions because there is some rich spiritual truth and power here, and I don't want you to miss it! And remember, I am doing this in love because as you said we are here to discuss what the Scripture actually says.

God Bless,
~Josh

Hello BornAgain. I wanted to respond to you here and correct a something that I think you are misunderstanding here while "speaking the truth in love" (Ephesians 4:15). We all want to know the truth of Scripture, so please hear me out because I may be able to clarify a few things for you, by letting the Scripture speak for itself.

First of all I highly recommend reading the Scriptures that Mitspa has already posted that show Jesus said we will do things greater than he did in the earth, and gave us power and authority to do it: http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=45450&p=694816&viewfull=1#post694816.

Also read this account of Paul commanding an unclean spirit to come out of a slave girl that was negatively impacting his proclamation of the Gospel (which he did with the same authority that Christ used to command the 'legion' of spirits to come out of the man who lived in the tombs and cast them into the pigs nearby in Matthew 8:31-32):

"As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling. 17 She followed Paul and us, crying out, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation." 18 And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And it came out that very hour." (Acts 16:16-18)

This was after Jesus' ascension and shows that this power to case out evil spirits was still very much active.

Also Jesus said that in the future (at his second coming) many would come to him saying that they had cast out demons and performed miracles:

"Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?" (Matthew 7:22)

Jesus does nothing to indicate that these are phony claims, but exercising such power does not necessarily assume that you will remain faithful to God. Although to be fair Jesus does give a warning of "false prophets" in verse 15, but the jist of the rhetorical question is "Yes, we did prophesy, cast our demons, and perform miracles in your name", but that will not save them if they "practice lawlessness" (verse 23).

Also as pertains to healing, which does not always mean casting out demons but certainly means performing miracles, this is addressed in James 5:14-18:

"Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit."

Healing through faith and prayer is a power very much made available to us today which is James' whole point, especially why he mentions the miracle that occured as a result of Elijah's prayer which he says we can do also because he was a "man with a nature like ours" yet accomplished that through prayer and faith. This is available today through any "effective prayer of a righteous man".

Lastly, I would like to address another thing that you said which is very important to clarify:

You really must pay attention to the context of 1 Corinthians 13 to understand what he is saying, because you misunderstand Paul's point. Let's look at the context for the verse you quoted:

"Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."
(1 Corinthians 13:8-13)

Immediately you should see, especially where I have hilighted the parallel thoughts that Paul is using in red & blue, that Paul is saying now (in the present day) we know in part, but then (in the future - also looking forward to "when [it] has come"). Paul's reference isn't to Jesus per se but when all things are made perfect (including us), which will include the yet future redemption of our bodies and of the earth itself which Paul speaks of just two chapters later in 1 Corinthians 15. Please reread this to understand what Paul is saying.

Also notice all the "will be" (yet future) references that Paul makes of when those gifts will one day be done away, and they clearly had not been done away in Paul's day, such as with tongues, because he even said "I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all" (1 Corinthians 14:18) in the very next chapter! Notice that at the beginning of the next chapter that he also says, "Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy" (1 Corinthians 14:1). How can you desire something that is no longer available?

When Paul was talking about perfection, he was talking about perfection yet to comeand to look forward to: "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face" (1 Corinthians 13:12).

I think that is you sit down and read 1 Corinthians 12-15 all in one sitting together that this will all become clear to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions because there is some rich spiritual truth and power here, and I don't want you to miss it! And remember, I am doing this in love because as you said we are here to discuss what the Scripture actually says.

God Bless,
~Josh

This makes sense...I think I need to sit and read instead of trying to throw scripture around to prove my points...this has been a humbling experience and I thank you for your input. I will be off of the forums for a while....there is too much controversy and my faith gets questioned and confusion takes over.

Thank you and God Bless...

Also BornAgain please keep in mind that Paul didn't write his epistles after the events in Acts but during the events in Acts, and he was performing signs that Jesus said they would do even well unto the end of Acts and close to the end of Paul's life.

Take for example Acts 28:3-5:

"But when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks and laid them on the fire, a viper came out because of the heat and fastened itself on his hand. When the natives saw the creature hanging from his hand, they began saying to one another, “Undoubtedly this man is a murderer, and though he has been saved from the sea, justice has not allowed him to live.” However he shook the creature off into the fire and suffered no harm."

Which was a fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy & promise:

"They will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them" (Mark 16:18; compare Luke 10:19).

So anything written in Paul's epistles is still written during a time when those miracles and power of the Spirit was very much alive and active in the saints, and the same holds true for today.

God Bless,
~Josh

Back