Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

drunkeness

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
No battle on my hands.
Well, of course you don't have a battle on your hands, lol. You're not the one trying to show what Paul said in Romans 14. I am. I'm the one who is in battle here, not you:
since alcohol has such a strong pull on people, including Christians, it seems you'll have a battle on your hands when you try to explain what Paul said about that.

No worshipping of alcohol. Only drunkards worship alcohol.
I hope that's true. But when I see Christians get their undies in a bunch about their right to drink alcohol the same way liberals do about their precious abortion rights, I wonder.

I'm sorry Jethro. I don't really know what you're talking about.
You've made that very obvious.
If there is one thing the church, in general, is ignorant about is Romans 14. I've noticed that over the years.
All they know about is their freedom to indulge various things, and the discussion stops right there as if Romans 14 did not even exist. Tattoos, alcohol, movies. The discussion always ends in their minds with their freedom to do what they want.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke, were written the earthly kingdom conditions. 1 Corinthians was written to those in the body of Christ. The difference is that those of the earthly kingdom have to endure until the end to be save
Justification/ salvation has NEVER been by works. Jews do not have a different gospel than us gentiles. Never did. There is only one body of believers and they all come to God through faith in Christ.

If I do drink, I always limit myself to just one. Even at home. It's just a thing I do. My last beer was Dec 27 at the family get together. Just a 1/2 beer at that. It's all I can really handle. But on hot summer days after working in the yard, a cold beer is nice. But still just one. I'm a super lightweight. Never hard drink. Never wine. Can't stand either. Dark beer only. A six pack can last me months
And nobody is trying to take that away from you, or any other alcohol drinking Christian.

The point of conflict here is keeping what you think and do about alcohol to yourself and out of sight. That we are to do. We do that to avoid causing hard-core, weak faith Christians who have determined in their own mind that they should not ever drink to stumble, and to keep born again ex-alcoholics from stumbling through the exercise of our freedom. It's really that simple. But all some Christians can hear when you talk about that is "you're trying to take away my right to drink alcohol", and the discussion ends right there.

And nobody is trying to take that away from you, or any other alcohol drinking Christian.

The point of conflict here is keeping what you think and do about alcohol to yourself and out of sight. That we are to do. We do that to avoid causing hard-core, weak faith Christians who have determined in their own mind that they should not ever drink to stumble, and to keep born again ex-alcoholics from stumbling through the exercise of our freedom. It's really that simple. But all some Christians can hear when you talk about that is "you're trying to take away my right to drink alcohol", and the discussion ends right there.

And notice I wasn't suggesting anyone was trying to take it away. I was just stating what is true in my situation. I preach moderation (which I pointed out from the first post) and I also practice what I preach.

Well, of course you don't have a battle on your hands, lol. You're not the one trying to show what Paul said in Romans 14. I am. I'm the one who is in battle here, not you:
I meant the battle with alcohol. That's what you were talking about. Not everyone who drinks wine or small amounts of alcohol or a beer is battling.

I hope that's true. But when I see Christians get their undies in a bunch about their right to drink alcohol the same way liberals do about their precious abortion rights, I wonder.

How could you possibly compare my right to drink with a right to abort a baby??
Thou shalt not kill.
Where does it say Thou shalt not drink?
The Bible says not to become drunk. Not only with alcohol, BTW, but with anything. Being drunk means being taken over and controlled by something. Anything.

Did Jesus not drink wine?

You've made that very obvious.
If there is one thing the church, in general, is ignorant about is Romans 14. I've noticed that over the years.
All they know about is their freedom to indulge various things, and the discussion stops right there as if Romans 14 did not even exist. Tattoos, alcohol, movies. The discussion always ends in their minds with their freedom to do what they want.
Interesting topic.
Do I have the freedom to do what I want?
No.

So. Tattoos. The body is a temple. Tattoos all over would seem, to me, to be disrespect of the body.
One rose somewhere? I can't judge. I'd think not though.

Movies. I like movies. I probably have lower standards than some here or I wouldn't be able to watch many good ones. Am I hell bound? I doubt it.

Alcohol. A glass with dinner is one thing. Drinking it to get drunk is quite another.

And notice I wasn't suggesting anyone was trying to take it away. I was just stating what is true in my situation. I preach moderation (which I pointed out from the first post) and I also practice what I preach.
I wish the church could unify under a single doctrine that says, "we have the complete freedom to drink alcohol, but we do not do it because of the overwhelming problem it causes families at this present time in history."

If we think the world hates it when we are different from them, they hate it even worse when we are like them. Alcohol abstinence without judgment is a good place to earn a little respect from the world, IMO.

P.S.

The Bible does say to dress moderately and not to wear jewelry like pagans do.
Should I also not wear jewelry so as not to offend a weaker brother?
Maybe the weaker brother could mature a bit?
If I want to drive I have to learn how. Others can't get out of MY way because I'm an immature and weak driver.

How does this change what we're talking about here, that it's better to keep your liberty secret and out of sight, if not abstained from altogether?
Wanting Christians to stop bragging about their liberty to drink alcohol for the sake of others is hardly passing judgment. It's what Paul says right in the passage.
It is telling us to not pass judgement on our fellows because of what we or they do or do not eat or drink.
Who brags about their liberty to drink?....I don't believe you have identified that group yet.....

To my recollection I do not recall even a single person being ruined by jewelry, as if that somehow even remotely equates to the Christian liberty of drinking alcohol and how it can affect other people.
you have your convictions but don't use them to pass judgement on those who don't believe exactly as you do......

P.S.

The Bible does say to dress moderately and not to wear jewelry like pagans do.
Should I also not wear jewelry so as not to offend a weaker brother?
Maybe the weaker brother could mature a bit?
If I want to drive I have to learn how. Others can't get out of MY way because I'm an immature and weak driver.
So Romans 14 means nothing to you. What can I say?

you have your convictions but don't use them to pass judgement on those who don't believe exactly as you do......
Pay attention to what I'm saying.
Showing what Paul said about abstaining from, and hiding, your personal liberties in the name of Christian love is hardly judging.

So Romans 14 means nothing to you. What can I say?
I don't like the idea of hiding.
If there's a weak brother that will get hurt, I won't drink.
But HE also has to understand that it's not a sin.

If I wear rings and a sister believes it's a sin, I have to stop wearing them?
Romans is speaking to sacrificed meat, if I remember...No bible.

If I do drink, I always limit myself to just one. Even at home. It's just a thing I do. My last beer was Dec 27 at the family get together. Just a 1/2 beer at that. It's all I can really handle. But on hot summer days after working in the yard, a cold beer is nice. But still just one. I'm a super lightweight. Never hard drink. Never wine. Can't stand either. Dark beer only. A six pack can last me months
The last beer I had was last week. I too buy a 6-pack approximately every 2 mos. I drink the small Corona bottles. They are the smaller of the 2 sizes they sell. I drink only one then stop. I like the taste of a beer with pretzels. My wife and I will have an occasional glass of wine together. That happens about once every 1-2 mos. When I first went on disability, I was drinking up to 4oz. of Tequila a day. The psychiatrist said I was self medicating and needed to stop....so I did.

Praise God he healed me and I've not gambled for the last 5 years. What helped me was a lovely believer who came alongside me, no judgement, acknowledged that all people have things in their lives, God understands and wants to heal the reasons why I was doing this.
Is this person a gambler? Do they scratch cards, etc.?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back