Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Earths Age

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There was day ''light'' then dark began to end that day .. Day is however many hrs of daylight divided by 12 to get the length of each hr depending on season and dark was divided in 4 watches also depending on season with first light beginning the next day .. Right ? .. Genesis 1:14
Joshua 6:1-15
God says night comes first.

NKJV
Exo 34:28 So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

Deu 10:2 ‘And I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke; and you shall put them in the ark.'

Deu 31:24-26 So it was, when Moses had completed writing the words of this law in a book, when they were finished, that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying: “Take this Book of the Law, and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there as a witness against you;..."

So the two tablets had only the 10 commandments written on them and were placed in the ark of the covenant.
The book of the law (613 laws) was placed beside the ark of the covenant.
OK, so, you are taking it upon yourself to assume that the words written in stone were not the words that were given in the scripture here:

Exodus 20:7-13 King James Version (KJV)

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

You are assuming that verses 9 to 11 were just an "aside"? What makes you think that these 3 verses are not written on the tablets?

Do human laws not include clarification? Why would Moses add to something if God did not state it or write it. Moses does not indicate that it is any different than the "Thou shalt's" and "Thou shalt not's".

But, I guess, if we take this part out.... and do our own little precis, we can get around all this "nonsense" of God stating that it was six literal days.

I fully believe that these verses are included in the text that God wrote. I also believe that since God is Omniscient, He knew that man would come up with some sort of excuse to diminish the work that He did in the time that He did it..... SO, He wrote these exact words:

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them

Even if He didn't, These words are part of the God inspired Holy canonized scripture...

Dodge and weave all you want... Duck and run but God says that He made all of creation in six days and rested on the seventh...

Think about it.... did God even break a sweat??? Nope.... He did this to set precedent a pattern, a guide to how humans can do all they need to do and recharge while they worship their creator.

but God made the night and the day for us, it doesn't affect him
I always looked at it as in the night God's Spirit works with our spirit to prepare us for the new day
but how many of us listen?

but God made the night and the day for us, it doesn't affect him
I always looked at it as in the night God's Spirit works with our spirit to prepare us for the new day
but how many of us listen?
I can see that .. And I wasn't disagreeing that night come first in creation ..

OK, so, you are taking it upon yourself to assume that the words written in stone were not the words that were given in the scripture here:
No. That's not at all what I said.
The 10 commandments were written in stone.
That's what Exo 34:28b says: "... He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments."
Exodus 20:7-13 contain the 10 commandments.
Why would Moses add to something if God did not state it or write it.
Moses didn't add anything. Nothing in the Law (all 613 of them) was something that Moses added. Every one of them were given by God.
But only the 10 commandments were written in stone. The rest were written on whatever they used like we use our modern paper.
The rest of the Law is found in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. The are usually introduced by the words "These are the...".
For example at:
Exo 21:1 Now these are the judgments which you shall set before them:...
Exo 28:4 And these are the garments which they shall make:...
Exo 35:1b These are the words which the LORD has commanded you to do:...
Lev 11:2 Speak to the children of Israel, saying, ‘These are the animals which you may eat...
Lev 23:4 These are the feasts of the LORD...
Lev 23:37 These are the feasts of the LORD...
Lev 26:46 These are the statutes and judgments and laws ...
Lev 27:34 These are the commandments ...
Num 30:16 These are the statutes which the LORD commanded ...
Num 36:13 These are the commandments and the judgments which the LORD commanded...
And, of course, Deuteronomy is the "second giving" (re-statement) of the Law.

Only the 10 commandments were on the stone tablets.

I know it's easy to get off topic, but can we get back to the OP as this is not about the commandments of God, but the earth's age. Thank you :)

I know it's easy to get off topic, but can we get back to the OP as this is not about the commandments of God, but the earth's age. Thank you :)
I understand that this thread is not about the 10 commandments. However, in the very first presentation, in the scriptures, that tells us what God wrote on the tablets, it is note worthy that He includes details about commandment #4 regarding keeping the sabbath holy and why. These details include God's own words telling us that He created everything in six days.

The 10 commandments were written in stone.
That's what Exo 34:28b says: "... He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments."
Exodus 20:7-13 contain the 10 commandments.

Moses didn't add anything.

Only the 10 commandments were on the stone tablets.

Exodus 20:7-13 doesn't contain all of the commandments but verses 8 to 11 are dealing with the details of the sabbath.

To say that these words are not written on the tablets... is an assumption only. Nowhere is there any indication that they are not included in the stone tablet writings.

Nowhere is there any indication that they are not included in the stone tablet writings.
The scripture I quoted said specifically that the 10 commandments were on the tablets.
Exo 34:28b says: "...
He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant,
the Ten Commandments.
"
There is nothing in scripture that says that all 613 laws, regulations, etc. were written in stone.

The scripture I quoted said specifically that the 10 commandments were on the tablets.
Exo 34:28b says: "...
He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant,
the Ten Commandments.
"
There is nothing in scripture that says that all 613 laws, regulations, etc. were written in stone.
So, you want to say that the extension of clarification of the fourth commandment is part of the 613 laws? I'm saying that the details of how to keep the sabbath are part of the ten commandments, and written in stone.

Even if they are not, the details are included in canonized scripture which is the God breathed, Holy Spirit inspired words of our God.

In other words, God, Himself, clarified, to all mankind, that it was six literal days.

Sorry Jim. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

six days - evening to morning - calling it a numbered day still does not add up to a 24 hour day in Gods timing of calling it evening to morning. The seventh day was declared a day that God rested from all His work and that we are to observe the seventh day as a holy day of rest and as a memorial of all God created. Jesus called the seventh day sabbath as a day to do good as God's commandment, Matthew 12:1-13.

six days - evening to morning - calling it a numbered day still does not add up to a 24 hour day in Gods timing of calling it evening to morning. The seventh day was declared a day that God rested from all His work and that we are to observe the seventh day as a holy day of rest and as a memorial of all God created. Jesus called the seventh day sabbath as a day to do good as God's commandment, Matthew 12:1-13.
Ha, evening to morning and the rest of the day until evening (sundown) 24 hrs, any part of the day counted as a day, the last supper was the day of unleavened bread, the day the Passover Lamb was killed the same day and Jesus died the same hr of the day(instant actually) the high priest was to slaughter the Passover Lamb .. Ceremonial meals were normally not eaten until evening when the previous day had ended .. Passover didn't begin until evening ..

Ha, evening to morning and the rest of the day until evening (sundown) 24 hrs, any part of the day counted as a day, the last supper was the day of unleavened bread, the day the Passover Lamb was killed the same day and Jesus died the same hr of the day(instant actually) the high priest was to slaughter the Passover Lamb .. Ceremonial meals were normally not eaten until evening when the previous day had ended .. Passover didn't begin until evening ..
I don't know why people fight this so hard. It even states, in the scripture, in other places, that it was six days.

I'll guarentee one thing... they won't argue about who denied Christ, or who betrayed Him. Or if He walked on water or actually fed 5000 or more people with five loaves and two fish...

But, they'll argue this deal about how long it took Jesus to create the universe..

Why? Some may ask... I'll tell you why..... Because mankind is deceived by the devil men have swallowed his lies. The atheistic agenda, driven by the lies of Satan, need to find a way to get rid of the need of a creator. In order to do this.. they need billions of years.

This will all come to an end, shortly, however, as they will switch to the agenda that we were seeded by technologically advanced alien entities.

Either way, a young earth and six days of creation will just flat out not be allowed.

I don't know why people fight this so hard. It even states, in the scripture, in other places, that it was six days.

I'll guarentee one thing... they won't argue about who denied Christ, or who betrayed Him. Or if He walked on water or actually fed 5000 or more people with five loaves and two fish...

But, they'll argue this deal about how long it took Jesus to create the universe..

Why? Some may ask... I'll tell you why..... Because mankind is deceived by the devil men have swallowed his lies. The atheistic agenda, driven by the lies of Satan, need to find a way to get rid of the need of a creator. In order to do this.. they need billions of years.

This will all come to an end, shortly, however, as they will switch to the agenda that we were seeded by technologically advanced alien entities.

Either way, a young earth and six days of creation will just flat out not be allowed.

I guess I'm thankful God has allowed us to have no doubts, but I've witnessed to folks seemed to be relieved that a new light was shed on their previous uncontested notion that there belief in evolution had an alternate view backed up with scientific substance instead of only ''because the Bible says'' .. I saw somewhere that when young Earth was presented for the first time to folks taught''old Earth'' and ''evolution''' all their lives were brought to tears at the new hope brought to their faith especially in communist countries .. And I'm sure this is a part of the great delusion that God will send in the End times among others .. I've been ridiculed plenty and take it as an honor

Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, 5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. 6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

What is meant by these are the generations? Could there have been other generations that God could have destroyed like that of the flood in Noah's day, but no one found any favor in the Lord? I think it could be possible.

This takes me back to Genesis 1:1, 2 as the earth had no form and darkness was upon the face of the deep and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. This would be like that of the flood as everything was void and all the earth laid in water. Noah would have started a whole new generation since the one before him was destroyed.

Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, 5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. 6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

What is meant by these are the generations? Could there have been other generations that God could have destroyed like that of the flood in Noah's day, but no one found any favor in the Lord? I think it could be possible.

This takes me back to Genesis 1:1, 2 as the earth had no form and darkness was upon the face of the deep and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. This would be like that of the flood as everything was void and all the earth laid in water. Noah would have started a whole new generation since the one before him was destroyed.
Look up the original translation for ''replenish'' .. Then keep in mind Gen 2 was a history or summary .. The Garden was separate creation requiring a man to work it which is why Adan didn't find a suitable helpmate even though mankind male and female were created on the 6th day with no law . Adam received the first law and also a perfect helpmate ''flesh of his flesh and bone of his bone'' .

He told us about the flood, and why...

Why do you think He would have done something else and not said anything about it.

I'm not going to assume based on the translation of one word. From what I gather, Eve was the very first human woman.... that ends all the chatter.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back