Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study FAITH, And the Knowledge of God's Righteousness

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I found a verse that says He created evil.
I have found one that says why.
I could only guess that it takes evil to turn some stiff necks.
Pharaoh's neck was pretty stiff, so was mine.
Which verse says He created evil? Isaiah?
So if you owned a dog, you'd cause him harm so he could love you more?

Roro1972

Let's tie this in to the OP.
What is the righteousness of God?

Wondering
i did not bring this up; after I read a couple post about God created evil I posted a verse that had not been posted. that does not mean I can answer all your questions because I found a verse in The Bible that says something you do not believe.

I posted it earlier and you read it and replied, I believe the verse you dont.
If you're speaking about Isiah, the correct translation is "calamity" , not "evil". But calamity is evil too so the correct translation doesn't mean much to me.

You're right Roro, I don't believe God created evil so there must be another explanation.

John said that God is Love.
Love is not evil.
He said that God is light and in Him there is no darkness.

This is what I believe.

Wondering

i did not bring this up; after I read a couple post about God created evil I posted a verse that had not been posted. that does not mean I can answer all your questions because I found a verse in The Bible that says something you do not believe.
I don't want you to answer any question. I know the answers.
I ask so that you could think about the answer.

Wondering

So are you saying God created all this suffering thrust upon us. Just so we could have a choice?
No. I am saying that man creates the evil.
Man chooses to do good or evil.
God will judge us according to whether we chose to do good or to do evil.
(John 3:36; 5:28-29; Ro 6:2-10; Mat 25:31-46; 1 Pe 1:17)

iakov the fool

Thanks Wondering, that really helps a dumb old country boy like me sort out some of the things that can be confusing. I can see I have misunderstood what I read now I have a better understanding and can see where I went wrong. You say it is easy but I missed it, thanks for helping me.
Hi Roro
I missed this.
I want you to know that I really appreciate your words.

Blessings

Wondering

No. I am saying that man creates the evil.
Man chooses to do good or evil.
God will judge us according to whether we chose to do good or to do evil.
(John 3:36; 5:28-29; Ro 6:2-10; Mat 25:31-46; 1 Pe 1:17)

iakov the fool
How did man create evil?
Was man around at the beginning of creation?

Wondering

OK you guys are scrambling my puny brain. Evil is disobedience to God...right? God set up a system of free will so we could choose between obedience(good) or disobedience(evil). God set up a system where both choices exist.....so in a way God made evil by allowing us that choice. But His will and desire for us is good.

Man creates evil by doing evil.
Evil is not a "thing." It is what people do.
There was no evil until man started to sin.

jim
How did man sin, which is evil, if there was no evil yet?

Did God not tell Adam not to eat of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil?

Evil existed BEFORE Adam and Eve ate of the fruit.

Wondering

...so in a way God made evil by allowing us that choice. But His will and desire for us is good.
By allowing free will, God "created" the possibility that man would do evil. In fact, God knew that man would do evil and that he would have to be saved from himself to be what God created him to be which is to be like Him (1Jo 3:2) and to be partakers of God's divine nature. (2 peter 1:4)

But man is completely responsible for the evil he does.
God is not does not make evil any more than the parent of a child makes evil when the child does something wicked.

iakov the fool

OK you guys are scrambling my puny brain. Evil is disobedience to God...right? God set up a system of free will so we could choose between obedience(good) or disobedience(evil). God set up a system where both choices exist.....so in a way God made evil by allowing us that choice. But His will and desire for us is good.
Evil is not disobedience to God.
That's just how evil entered into man and nature.

Man disobeyed God in Genesis by beleiving the serpent.
The serpent was evil.
Evil already existed when man let it in to both him and nature.

Wondering

How did man sin, which is evil, if there was no evil yet?
Did God not tell Adam not to eat of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil?
Evil existed BEFORE Adam and Eve ate of the fruit.

Wondering
Good points.
The evil which existed before Adam was, I think, the evil which Satan and his followers chose to do.
I think the rebellion of Satan predates Adam.
So the evil which existed before Adam sinned was the evil which the devil did and which he enticed Eve to do.

I don't think that evil exists as an entity by itself. I think it exists only as a possibility and does not become real until someone does evil. I think that evil does not truly exist until we do it. The the evil act and the repercussions of the evil act are brought into being.

And, I'm not convinced that I have it exactly right.

jim

Evil is not disobedience to God.
That's just how evil entered into man and nature.

Man disobeyed God in Genesis by beleiving the serpent.
The serpent was evil.
Evil already existed when man let it in to both him and nature.

Wondering
but isn't the serpent evil because he chose disobedience himself?

Good points.
The evil which existed before Adam was, I think, the evil which Satan and his followers chose to do.
So the evil which existed before Adam sinned was the evil which the devil did and which he enticed Eve to do.

I don't think that evil exists as an entity by itself. I think it exists only as a possibility and does not become real until someone does evil. I think that evil does not truly exist until we do it. The the evil act and the repercussions of the evil act are brought into being.

jim
Good points.

jim
Jim,
It's all speculation!
We cannot know the answer.

Of course you're correct that satan and 1/3 of the angels were banished from heaven before Adam and Eve.

But we are just presented with the problem of evil once again.

How could satan commit the sin of pride before any evil existed if HE is the perpetrator of evil?

An interesting question to ponder...

Wondering

so evil is a condition set about by disobedience and that condition came into existence the second God created any being with freedom of choice?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back