Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

For Pre-Tribs - A curious question

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There is something I am curious about. While I do not share the pre-trib belief I am curious on something that I have not been able to find an answer to.

In the pre-trib belief Matt 24 is a future event. So, my question is...if that is the case, where in the bible does it describe the horrible events around 70ad. The destruction of the temple, the 3.5 year siege and destruction of Jerusalem and the mass persecution of Christians the likes of which have not been seen since?

This isn't a debate...just a genuine question as I am not sure where these events are described in the bible?

Luke 21:20-24~~
20“But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. 21“Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; 22because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled. 23“Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; 24and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

In Matt 24 the disciples ask 3 questions:

{1} Tell us when these things will happen {the temple stones torn down - the answer is recorded in Luke 21:20-24.

{2} what will be the sign of Your coming {Matthew 24:27-51 He answers this}

{3} what will be the sign of the end of the {Jewish} age {This is answered in Matthew 24:9-26 - answered before 2 because the Tribulation comes before the 2nd Advent of Christ}?"

The fall of Jerusalem was future to the disciples.

Luke 21:20-24~~
20“But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. 21“Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; 22because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled. 23“Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; 24and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

In Matt 24 the disciples ask 3 questions:

{1} Tell us when these things will happen {the temple stones torn down - the answer is recorded in Luke 21:20-24.

{2} what will be the sign of Your coming {Matthew 24:27-51 He answers this}

{3} what will be the sign of the end of the {Jewish} age {This is answered in Matthew 24:9-26 - answered before 2 because the Tribulation comes before the 2nd Advent of Christ}?"

The fall of Jerusalem was future to the disciples.

Yes...but according to dispensationalism this is a far off future event. That is what I am trying to learn...where do dispensationalists believe in the bible it describes this event?

Yes...but according to dispensationalism this is a far off future event. That is what I am trying to learn...where do dispensationalists believe in the bible it describes this event?
I am a dipsy and I do not believe it is a far off event. It happened in 70 AD.

Interesting...so do you believe that Matt 24 is talking of a seperate event?
Actually 3 separate events.

1) Fall of Jerusalem (70 AD)

2)The end of the Jewish Age( Tribulation).....The Jewish age begins again at the Rapture and beginning of the trib.

3) The second advent of Christ( Right after the Trib.)

Moderating note:
We have boxes we put or try to put people in ... Dispensationalist Preterist futurist baptist Penticostal the list could grow ...

I believe like most of us we all have some of each.... Not every Dispensationalist even knows who Scofield/Darby is.. look at gr8grace's post
I am a dipsy and I do not believe it is a far off event. It happened in 70 AD..
Preterist have sections ..orthodox.. full ....as do all the denominations .... What we are is members of the body of Christ .. Looking at our personal families we are not exactly like or siblings... Please lets remember we are brother/sisters in the Lord and boxes have sharp corners.... reba

Hi Destructus

The point you are making is a fair one and is at the heart of the debate between Preterist / Futurist interpretation of the Olivet discourse. It is very easy to be persuaded either way, because both are right. Matt 24 is Ad 70. Matt 24 also is the endtime.

There is only one way of properly dealing with this question IMHO, and that is to accept the explanation of 'dual fulfillment.' AD70 was precursor to a time yet to come and together they satisfy the prophecy in Matt 24, Mark 13, Luke 21 and Rev 6.

ps. but Im not actually pretrib

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back