Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

God in my flesh

Free said:
Jesus is the only one who is God in human flesh, God incarnate.

Then why is he called the son of God?

Why does the scripture not reflect your belief? God was made manifest in the flesh of all men of God that God permitted to do miracles, you do realize that the word manifest means to make evident, right?

To say that God was manifested in Jesus doesn't mean that God was Jesus it means he was made evident through Jesus, just like Elijah raising people from the dead or any other miracle by anyone.

So God was with Elijah just like Jesus and when Elijah got taken up to heaven in the same manner that Jesus was taken up Elisha asked for a double portion of the Spirit of Elijah.

If Elijah didn't have the spirit of God why would having a double portion of the spirit of Elijah be a manifestation of the power of God?

Have you actually read the entire bible like I have for the last 30 years?

bodhitharta said:
Free said:

Why does the scripture not reflect your belief?
It is very much reflected in Scripture or I wouldn't believe it.

bodhitharta said:
God was made manifest in the flesh of all men of God that God permitted to do miracles, you do realize that the word manifest means to make evident, right?
Firstly, Jesus is God incarnate--God in human form. That is what is meant when Christians speak of God made manifest in the flesh.

Secondly, that can only ever be said of Jesus.

bodhitharta said:
To say that God was manifested in Jesus doesn't mean that God was Jesus it means he was made evident through Jesus, just like Elijah raising people from the dead or any other miracle by anyone.
Of course it doesn't mean that God was Jesus; it means that Jesus was, and is, God.

bodhitharta said:
So God was with Elijah just like Jesus and when Elijah got taken up to heaven in the same manner that Jesus was taken up Elisha asked for a double portion of the Spirit of Elijah.

If Elijah didn't have the spirit of God why would having a double portion of the spirit of Elijah be a manifestation of the power of God?
I fail to see what your point is or how this supports any of your previous assertions.

bodhitharta said:
The length of time you have read the Bible does not impress me in the slightest. One can read it their whole life and still not understand it.

Free said:
bodhitharta said:
Free said:

Why does the scripture not reflect your belief?
It is very much reflected in Scripture or I wouldn't believe it.

bodhitharta said:
God was made manifest in the flesh of all men of God that God permitted to do miracles, you do realize that the word manifest means to make evident, right?
Firstly, Jesus is God incarnate--God in human form. That is what is meant when Christians speak of God made manifest in the flesh.

Secondly, that can only ever be said of Jesus.

bodhitharta said:
Of course it doesn't mean that God was Jesus; it means that Jesus was, and is, God.

bodhitharta said:

I fail to see what your point is or how this supports any of your previous assertions.

bodhitharta said:
The length of time you have read the Bible does not impress me in the slightest. One can read it their whole life and still not understand it.

So you agree that you may have misunderstood it?

You have never read that Jesus is The Most High so why do you believe it? You think of the word God as if it is a community of multiple beings but at the same tiome the Bible says we will be like him, so will we all be trinities?

Sounds like many of you need to go back and study the message of Christ instead of letting Satan misguide you and distorting the true message. He made it very clear that we are all sons of God and that the spirit of God dwells in all of us. So if you say that Jesus was God then you would also have to say that we are as well. Jesus worshipped one God and made it very clear that he was not God numerous times throughout the gospel. He stated, "Why do you call me good, no one is good but the Father alone." You all need to study what it is that Jesus taught about himself and God, and not characteristics of him that were voted on by men 100's of years later. You are treading on dangerous ground when you start distorting God's message given to us through Jesus Christ.

joechrist said:
Sounds like many of you need to go back and study the message of Christ instead of letting Satan misguide you and distorting the true message. He made it very clear that we are all sons of God and that the spirit of God dwells in all of us. So if you say that Jesus was God then you would also have to say that we are as well. Jesus worshipped one God and made it very clear that he was not God numerous times throughout the gospel. He stated, "Why do you call me good, no one is good but the Father alone." You all need to study what it is that Jesus taught about himself and God, and not characteristics of him that were voted on by men 100's of years later. You are treading on dangerous ground when you start distorting God's message given to us through Jesus Christ.

Amen! Joechrist

bodhitharta said:
The scripture cannot be wrong according to Jesus. Now if those referred to as gods are not God then how is it you call Jesus "God"? Now I understand that God was with Jesus so how does that make Jesus "God" but not Moses, Elijah, Elisha or any other men of God?

You must please quote the whole verse when you speak about it, or else you will not get it.

Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, ye are gods?
Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken),
Joh 10:36 say ye of him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

I have already explained why He said this in my first post about the Word. Nobody is anything without the Word. The Word (Which is God) has to come to you and you have to "eat" it and become part of It. It has to live in you. That part is God. Unless, as I said before, you are believing another gospel.

We are to not know any man after the.........flesh. Why? Because we have to look at the spiritual man. A Christian's body (the son of man part) carries within it the Word of God (the Son of God part)

Jesus was our example. He too was called the Son of Man (through Mary) but in His body He carried the Son of God fully (His Son of God part) Why do you think the Bible calls Him both Son of Man and Son of God ?

Further the Bible tells us that we have been crucified with Christ and no longer live.

SO will it be OK if I from now on, leave myself out of this equation , because I am indeed dead according to the Bible (Gal 2:20 ) ? Right, so now its Christ that lives in my body and I am gone. That is according to Scripture and not according to what we see.

My flesh is human, but my spiritual Man is God. That too is Scriptural.

2Co 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit

So I do not see myself anymore , (I am dead and a dead man cannot see himself in a mirror.) But indeed I see the Lord in the mirror, Why ? Because I see Gal 2:20 ...... Christ living in me: .......

So am I God in the flesh
No
But I have God living in me. I can be like Him now. That too is Scriptural:1Jn 4:17 ...... because as he is, even so are we in this world. So if the same Word lives in you, you are in agreement with Him and you are "as he is, even so are we in this world"

Nothing is outside of Christ. There is no understanding that excludes Jesus. We can do (and be) nothing without God the Father. Jesus taught us that. So no being little gods running around , but yes God in us is real. And He will manifest this one day in His people fully. THEN we will be 100% like Him, because we will see Him as He is.1Jn 3:2 Beloved, now are we children of God, and it is not yet made manifest what we shall be. We know that, if he shall be manifested, we shall be like him; for we shall see him even as he is.

From this glory to His glory:2Co 3:18 .... are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit.

That is the GOOD news !
C

Bodhitharta said:
So you agree that you may have misunderstood it?
No, I don't believe I have.

Bodhitharta said:
You have never read that Jesus is The Most High so why do you believe it?
Because Scripture makes it clear.

Bodhitharta said:
You think of the word God as if it is a community of multiple beings but at the same tiome the Bible says we will be like him, so will we all be trinities?
We're already dealing with this in another thread so I will not continue the discussion here. Although, this may be the more appropriate thread.

joechrist said:
You have made some glaring mistakes in your post. First, to say that Jesus is God would not in any way mean that we would be God as well. The Bible is absolutely clear that the term "Son of God" in reference to Jesus means something different than when it is used of men.

Second, Jesus taught that God alone was to be worshiped, yet he accepted worship himself.

Third, Matt 10:18 and Luke 18:19 both state, "And Jesus said to him, Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." Do not twist it to favor of your belief by inserting "Father" for "God".

Fourth, the doctrine of the Trinity has by far the best explanatory power for all that Scripture reveals about Jesus and God.

Fifth, your idea of the history of the acceptance of the deity of Jesys is very misleading.

Cornelius said:
bodhitharta said:
The scripture cannot be wrong according to Jesus. Now if those referred to as gods are not God then how is it you call Jesus "God"? Now I understand that God was with Jesus so how does that make Jesus "God" but not Moses, Elijah, Elisha or any other men of God?

You must please quote the whole verse when you speak about it, or else you will not get it.

Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, ye are gods?
Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken),
Joh 10:36 say ye of him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

I have already explained why He said this in my first post about the Word. Nobody is anything without the Word. The Word (Which is God) has to come to you and you have to "eat" it and become part of It. It has to live in you. That part is God. Unless, as I said before, you are believing another gospel.

We are to not know any man after the.........flesh. Why? Because we have to look at the spiritual man. A Christian's body (the son of man part) carries within it the Word of God (the Son of God part)

Jesus was our example. He too was called the Son of Man (through Mary) but in His body He carried the Son of God fully (His Son of God part) Why do you think the Bible calls Him both Son of Man and Son of God ?

Yes, he is called the son of God but so are others and none of them are "God" but if someone calls Jesus "God" it shouldn't be applied any differently, should it?

Free,

All Kings have also accepted worship, does that make them God as well?

Jesus said no one is good except God, if he was God why would he ask the person "why do you call me good?" Do you think he way being coy with the person?

bodhitharta said:
Free,

All Kings have also accepted worship, does that make them God as well?
Have they? Do you have a biblical reference?

bodhitharta said:
Jesus said no one is good except God, if he was God why would he ask the person "why do you call me good?" Do you think he way being coy with the person?
It was a rhetorical question to get the questioner to realize what he just asked. It is Jesus affirming that he is God; he just wants the questioner to understand.

Mathew 24:5, 23 - 24: "FOR MANY WILL COME IN MY NAME, SAYING, 'I AM THE MESSIAH - THE CHRIST'' AND WILL MISLEAD MANY. THEN IF ANYONE SAYS TO YOU, 'LOOK, HERE IS THE CHRIST, THE MESSIAH!' OR 'THERE HE IS' DO NOT BELIEVE IT... FOR FALSE CHRISTS AND FALSE PROPHETS WILL APPEAR AND WILL PERFORM GREAT SIGNS AND WONDERS, SO AS TO DECEIVE, IF POSSIBLE, EVEN THE ELECT"
Please do yourself a favour, little gods, please do not try and deceive us with your foolish talk. By saying you are GOD you blaspheme against the God you claim to be your creator. We are not God, we have a part of God dwelling in us only. You are talking like false christs and false teachers and the teachings you are trying to instill apon others smells of new age doctrine. joechrist you stated that we must be careful how we see the words of Jesus. If I have understood what you have tried to say correctly. This warning should be directed at yourself and I pray you pray over this matter seriously. Which Jesus are you praying to? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take the time to study the new age movement and its seduction on Christianity. You do not know how harmful your words are!

Mathew 24:5, 23 - 24: "FOR MANY WILL COME IN MY NAME, SAYING, 'I AM THE MESSIAH - THE CHRIST'' AND WILL MISLEAD MANY. THEN IF ANYONE SAYS TO YOU, 'LOOK, HERE IS THE CHRIST, THE MESSIAH!' OR 'THERE HE IS' DO NOT BELIEVE IT... FOR FALSE CHRISTS AND FALSE PROPHETS WILL APPEAR AND WILL PERFORM GREAT SIGNS AND WONDERS, SO AS TO DECEIVE, IF POSSIBLE, EVEN THE ELECT"
Please do yourself a favour, little gods, please do not try and deceive us with your foolish talk. By saying you are GOD you blaspheme against the God you claim to be your creator. We are not God, we have a part of God dwelling in us only. You are talking like false christs and false teachers and the teachings you are trying to instill apon others smells of new age doctrine. joechrist you stated that we must be careful how we see the words of Jesus. If I have understood what you have tried to say correctly. This warning should be directed at yourself and I pray you pray over this matter seriously. Which Jesus are you praying to? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take the time to study the new age movement and its seduction on Christianity. You do not know how harmful your words are!

You assumed people were calling themselves little gods but what if the opposite is actually true meaning that none of us are little gods including Jesus? What I mean is if God dwells in us then it is God in the flesh but it doesn't make us God, Jesus also said it was The Father dwelling in him that did everything therefore the condition is the same. If we have the spirit of the anointed i.e. Christ. We are either Christs(Anointed) i.e. Christians or we are gods. For us not to be gods, christ must not be god either otherwise we will be gods, considering we will be co-heirs with Christ and if we are Co-heirs we would have to be whatever he is, so if he is God we will be God as well and if he is Christ we will be Christ as well.

But if we say that we are sons of God we know that means being a man such as even Adam was called the son of God and he was a Man.

\quote]
You have made some glaring mistakes in your post. First, to say that Jesus is God would not in any way mean that we would be God as well. The Bible is absolutely clear that the term "Son of God" in reference to Jesus means something different than when it is used of men.

Second, Jesus taught that God alone was to be worshiped, yet he accepted worship himself.

Third, Matt 10:18 and Luke 18:19 both state, "And Jesus said to him, Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." Do not twist it to favor of your belief by inserting "Father" for "God".

Fourth, the doctrine of the Trinity has by far the best explanatory power for all that Scripture reveals about Jesus and God.

Fifth, your idea of the history of the acceptance of the deity of Jesys is very misleading.[/quote

Please inform me where I am misleading about the history of Jesus's deity. If the trinity was not an idea formed by a council of bishops who could not agree on what Jesus was, please explain to everyone here how the idea was formed.

Please do yourself a favour, little gods, please do not try and deceive us with your foolish talk. By saying you are GOD you blaspheme against the God you claim to be your creator. We are not God, we have a part of God dwelling in us only. You are talking like false christs and false teachers and the teachings you are trying to instill apon others smells of new age doctrine. joechrist you stated that we must be careful how we see the words of Jesus. If I have understood what you have tried to say correctly. This warning should be directed at yourself and I pray you pray over this matter seriously. Which Jesus are you praying to? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take the time to study the new age movement and its seduction on Christianity. You do not know how harmful your words are![/quote]

I hope at some point in your life, you will let go of all the twisted ideas and misinterpretations of this extremely important message. Your beliefs are the result of 1000's of years of differing opinions and the shaping of the message in order to fit the changing of the times. The ideas you have are none other than ideas passed on to you from other men who twisted the message a little more from the person who passed it on to them. If we continue down this path, eventually the message of Jesus will be lost completely, although it can be argued that it already has. You bring up the New Age. That is exactly what I'm trying to prevent you from conforming to by encouraging you to study the message of Jesus from the mouth of Jesus, not from anyone else. That would be the exact opposite of New Age. I want you to stick with the 2000 year old message, not today's. I pray that you will change your path, back to the path that Jesus laid out for us. You are leading yourself, as well as others, down a path of destruction.

joechrist said:
Free said:

Fifth, your idea of the history of the acceptance of the deity of Jesys is very misleading.
Please inform me where I am misleading about the history of Jesus's deity. If the trinity was not an idea formed by a council of bishops who could not agree on what Jesus was, please explain to everyone here how the idea was formed.
It is commonly argued by anti-trinitarians that the First Council of Nicaea is where the idea of the deity of Jesus was formed. What history actually shows is that the Councils met to discuss beliefs and practices that were already accepted in the Church. The idea that Jesus is God was around long before the Council of Nicaea met. The purpose of the discussion was to come to a conclusion of the correct way to view Jesus' relationship to the Father--of one substance with the Father or a mere creature, such as Arius proposed. Iirc, the decision was overwhelmingly in favor of the deity of Jesus.

Evidence of the deity of Jesus, outside of Scripture, can be found in the early second century, not the early fourth that you are making it out to be.

Free said:
joechrist said:
Free said:

It is commonly argued by anti-trinitarians that the First Council of Nicaea is where the idea of the deity of Jesus was formed. What history actually shows is that the Councils met to discuss beliefs and practices that were already accepted in the Church. The idea that Jesus is God was around long before the Council of Nicaea met. The purpose of the discussion was to come to a conclusion of the correct way to view Jesus' relationship to the Father--of one substance with the Father or a mere creature, such as Arius proposed. Iirc, the decision was overwhelmingly in favor of the deity of Jesus.

Evidence of the deity of Jesus, outside of Scripture, can be found in the early second century, not the early fourth that you are making it out to be.

So you just wrote a long explanation to reaffirm my statement, that the trinity idea was formed by the council. I don't know anyone who says that the IDEA OF THE DEITY OF JESUS was formed at the council of Nicea. Now what is historical fact is that the IDEA OF THE TRINITY was formed at the council. Some believed he was God, some believed he was fully human and not God. The council was formed to settle these opposing ideas. Before the council, not one person knew what the idea of the trinity was. The church needed a belief that everyone could agree on. So they formed the trinity concept.

Christ in us, is the truth of the Gospel.

IN this thread, people are taking this most wonderful truth and stepping on it with no respect for what the Lord has done for us. You are transgressing against Him.

Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no man, not to be contentious, to be gentle, showing all meekness toward all men.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23 meekness, self-control; against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with the passions and the lusts thereof.
Gal 5:25 If we live by the Spirit, by the Spirit let us also walk.
Gal 5:26 Let us not become vainglorious, provoking one another, envying one another.

joechrist said:
So you just wrote a long explanation to reaffirm my statement, that the trinity idea was formed by the council. I don't know anyone who says that the IDEA OF THE DEITY OF JESUS was formed at the council of Nicea. Now what is historical fact is that the IDEA OF THE TRINITY was formed at the council. Some believed he was God, some believed he was fully human and not God. The council was formed to settle these opposing ideas. Before the council, not one person knew what the idea of the trinity was. The church needed a belief that everyone could agree on. So they formed the trinity concept.

The idea of the Trinity was formed by other people before the Council of Nicea. (That's kind of how it could have been verified as church doctrine at said council.) This trinitarian concept originated from systematic theology using God-given reason and God-given Scripture. From the verses used in the previous thread, it can easily be seen that God is a trinitarian God. If He is not, the Father cannot be God if the Son or Spirit is and vice-versa or else you make Christianity polytheistic.

PS. Matthew 10:18 is "On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles."

bodhitharta said:
When Jesus quoted the scripture "Ye are gods" he wasn't talking about Christ inside of those he was referring to because they were called gods before Jesus was sent so Jesus says to whom the word of God came were called gods

Psalm 82:5-7 (King James Version)
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High....

snipped
Nice, you are close. Neither John 10 nor Psalm 82 are about us being gods or little gods, or whatever interpretation is popular these days. Yes, John 10 is in reference to Psalm 82 and it's all about corrupt judges and their real lack of knowledge of the Law. The 'gods" are God's representatives but are being rebuked for their judgments against Jesus. He is reminding them of past judgments against them by using Psalm 82 as a strong example.

In Psalm 82:8, I believe there is a similitude attached to the Hebrew word, elohim, making it mean, "like gods". That is the point being made; by passing such an unfair judgment against the Son of God, they make themselves out to be "like god".

But have fun with all your other interpretations, people. The bottom line is, you may choose to believe Jesus is not God incarnate in the flesh, but to do so may put you in grave danger by denying the very Divine nature of Jesus. I choose to believe, by my understanding of scripture as a whole, the He is God incarnate. What are the consequences if I'm wrong? Better yet, what are the consequences if you are wrong?

Back