Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God's Great Free Gift of Salvation for Everyone

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Christians will not be judged for sins. Their sins have already been judged in Jesus Christ, Romans 6:3. If you don't believe that Jesus atoned for your sins, you will not be saved. You do not have a righteousness that God will accept because you are a sinner born after Adam, Romans 5:12. This is why Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10. "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23.
Where does that say we will never stand before the Judgement Seat of Jesus? Your scriptures don’t even come close to your position.

If you are going to refute me, you will have to do it with scripture. Everything else is hot air.

Paul is the only apostle that taught the Gospel and justification by faith. The reason for this is that all of the books of the Bible were written under the Old Covenant of law and religion, except for Paul's epistles. Paul was the only New Covenant Christian. The rest were influenced by Judaism, much like you.
If you are going to refute me, you will have to do it with scripture. Everything else is hot air. So, where is the scripture in your post Robert?

If you are going to refute me, you will have to do it with scripture. Everything else is hot air. So, where is the scripture in your post Robert?
Even if he gives a reference, it won’t support his position. He maybe hopes you won’t look it up.

I always try to backup everything that I say with scripture.
Here is what you posted: "If you are going to refute me, you will have to do it with scripture. Everything else is hot air.

Paul is the only apostle that taught the Gospel and justification by faith. The reason for this is that all of the books of the Bible were written under the Old Covenant of law and religion, except for Paul's epistles. Paul was the only New Covenant Christian. The rest were influenced by Judaism, much like you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) Where is the Scripture here, Robert?
b) You wrote that "all of the books of the Bible were written under the Old Covenant of law and religion, except for Paul's epistles". The entire New Testament was written under the New Covenant! Duh!
c) "Paul was the only New Covenant Christian", is nonsense in the extreme. "New Covenant Christian" is redundant. Every Christian is under the New Covenant.

To be free from the law is to be free from sin, because the law promotes sin, Romans 7:8.
Except that is not what the Bible says. You are inventing your own (false) doctrine.

Here is something for you to read. It may help you understand about sin, the law, faith, etc. But maybe not...

"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do: by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and to deal with sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, so that the just requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh [meaning you, Robert], but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.[meaning the rest of us] To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For this reason the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law—indeed, it cannot, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God." Romans 8:1-8 (with my emphases)

Were you atoned for?
Yes?
Then you are sanctified.
It happens in an instant, when the blood of Christ is applied to your body.
As I said, sanctification in one sense is a setting apart of believers for God and away from the rest of the world and its ways. But, in another sense, it is an ongoing process of holiness, making us more like Christ. It's both.

Why does your version of the KJV add confusing words?
What words were added that confuse you?

They are often the same thing.
One of the definitions of sanctification is "made holy".
Were you not made holy when your sins were remitted?
I sure was, thanks be to God.

You have a different definition for sanctification than I do.
As I repeatedly made clear, there are two aspects to sanctification--past and present (continual). You still sin, so you are not holy in the way Jesus was holy on earth or the way God is holy. That is what we are in process towards, to be like Christ.

I think your understandings of "holiness" and "sanctification" may be deficient. You seem to think that they only refer to being set apart, a one-time occurrence. However:

1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;
1Th 4:4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, (ESV)

If we are once and for all sanctified, then why is sanctification God's will for us?

1Pe 1:15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,
1Pe 1:16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” (ESV)

The command or exhortation to "be holy" makes no sense if we are completely holy.

1Pe 2:1 So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander.
1Pe 2:2 Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation
1Pe 2:3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
1Pe 2:4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious,
1Pe 2:5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (ESV)

Similarly, we are to "grow up into salvation" and are "being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood." All these things--salvation, holiness, sanctification--are spoken of as past and present conditions, with a fulfillment and completion in the future.

We grow in grace and knowledge, but we start from a position of holiness, atoned for, set apart, coscecration.
And we grow in holiness.

They happen simultaneously with the application f the blood of Christ.
The one aspect, yes.

The only nuance to the word perfect, is imperfection.
No, imperfection is a different word. Here is the Greek word teleios, translated as perfect in Matt 5:48:

Definition
  1. brought to its end, finished
  2. wanting nothing necessary to completeness
  3. perfect
  4. that which is perfect
    1. consummate human integrity and virtue
    2. of men
      1. full grown, adult, of full age, mature
King James Word Usage - Total: 19
perfect 17, man 1, of full age 1

https://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/kjv/teleios.html

We are not commanded to do the impossible.
We certainly are.

I worship a God that makes it possible to be perfectly obedient.
Don't you?
If not, we should talk some more.
While God might make it possible, there is no Christian who ever has or will attain perfect obedience because we still battle the flesh, temptation, and the enemy.

If you look at Phil 3:11, you will see that the thing he had not yet attained was the resurrection from the dead.
Yes, I know. He had not attained it. That is clear. But he adds, "or am already perfect," which refers to the rest of the verse and the two that follow.

That is unscriptural.
It implies continued washings from sin by the blood of Christ, which He does once at baptism in His name for the remission for sins. (Acts 2:38)
I assure you, it's scriptural and in no way whatsoever implies such. Justification is a one-time event only. The ongoing process of sanctification is done by the Spirit working in us to walk by the Spirit and grow in holiness over our lifetime.

Your concentration on the word "we" has hidden the word "if".
Nope.

IF we walk in darkness we cannot say we have no sin.
IF we walk in the light, we can say we have no sin.
Where does John say that "If we walk in darkness we cannot say we have no sin"? Something John actually wrote I can state the following, because it is :

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we say we have sin, we don't deceive ourselves, and the truth is in us.

God is the light, and there is no sin in God.
Of course. That goes without saying. But it is more correct to follow John in saying that "God is light." It is speaking of his absolute nature and represents a number of things--glory; truth; holiness; love; life; etc.

You must think there is sin in God in spite of what 1 John 1: 5 said..."This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."
Of course not. How can you even come to such a conclusion?

If we are walking in God, there can be no sin in/on us.
This is not a biblical position. The whole point John is making is that believers do sin and to say otherwise is false and self-deception, and makes God a liar. But when we do sin, we can confess our sins and find forgiveness, since Jesus is our advocate before the Father.

Jesus could, and so can we.
Jesus could, but we can't. Much of the NT testifies to this.

You don't think anyone can walk in the light,, which is God, do you?
Of course I do. I'm not sure how you came to such a conclusion. It just doesn't mean that one is sinless or can live without sin.

Do you think the blood of Christ can wash away past sins at all?
Of course, but that is not what we're discussing.

If one is still sinning, the "any man", (your version of the KJ bible says "anyone") is the sinner...which shows they were not walking in the light and were walking in darkness.
Which means they cannot say they have fellowship with God either. (1 John 1:6)
"(your version of the KJ bible". You are aware that I'm using the ESV, which is why I always put ESV, so why keep referring to it as "your version of the KJ Bible"?

John is clearly writing to believers--"My little children"--and saying that if any of them does sin, Jesus is their advocate. All they need is to confess their sins and be forgiven (1:9).

You got it wrong.
1 John 2:3-4..."And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him."

1 John 2:2's "anyone" doesn't know God or keep His commandments.
They walk in darkness.
But those who know God and keep His commandments have an Advocate for them.
No, I'm quite confident that I didn't. It's actually a pretty straightforward, clear passage. John is writing to believers and encouraging them not to sin, but if they do, they need to confess those sins to be forgiven and cleansed.

What is the purpose of an advocate? What is the reason believers need an advocate? What is the reason believers need Christ to intercede continually on their behalf (Rom 8:34; Heb 7:25)?

Christians will be judged for what they did with the Gospel, but not for their sins.
That is NOT what the scripture says. It says specially what their deeds were, good and bad. The details of this are pretty murky as even the apostle Paul said he would be stand before that Judgement too. So for some for sure, it is not a matter of Heaven or Hell but rewards or lack thereof. However, just where that difference probably takes God to discern. I would not begin to know myself. I think it is up to each man to examine himself to "see whether he is still in the faith."

To be free from the law is to be free from sin, because the law promotes sin, Romans 7:8.
To be free from the Law one must be dead to the Law.
That death is also to sin, making the reborn non-sinners.
It is written..."For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God." (Rom 6:10-13)

Christians will not be judged for sins.
Of course not, as they don't commit sin.
Their sins have already been judged in Jesus Christ, Romans 6:3. If you don't believe that Jesus atoned for your sins, you will not be saved. You do not have a righteousness that God will accept because you are a sinner born after Adam, Romans 5:12. This is why Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10. "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23.
It is written..."For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Cor 5:21)

As I said, sanctification in one sense is a setting apart of believers for God and away from the rest of the world and its ways. But, in another sense, it is an ongoing process of holiness, making us more like Christ. It's both.
That is just "remaining sanctified".
What words were added that confuse you?
Your version of the bible adds..." leading to sanctification. (Rom 6:19)
It should read..."I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness."
Your version implies something that we must do more to be sanctified/holy when it has already happened to the servants of righteousness.
As I repeatedly made clear, there are two aspects to sanctification--past and present (continual). You still sin, so you are not holy in the way Jesus was holy on earth or the way God is holy. That is what we are in process towards, to be like Christ.
Get sanctified and stay there.
I think your understandings of "holiness" and "sanctification" may be deficient. You seem to think that they only refer to being set apart, a one-time occurrence. However:
Holy is a definition of sanctified.
Along with "set apart, consecrated, and atoned for".
By insisting one is gradual, you must accept that all are gradual.
So, are you gradually being "atoned for" over time?
1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;
1Th 4:4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, (ESV)
If we are once and for all sanctified, then why is sanctification God's will for us?
God's will is that we remain sanctified.
1Pe 1:15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,
1Pe 1:16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” (ESV)
The command or exhortation to "be holy" makes no sense if we are completely holy.
Unless the audience isn't all Christians.
I wasn't holy/sanctified when I read it the first twenty times.
1Pe 2:2 Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—
1Pe 2:3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
1Pe 2:4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious,
1Pe 2:5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (ESV)
Similarly, we are to "grow up into salvation" and are "being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood." All these things--salvation, holiness, sanctification--are spoken of as past and present conditions, with a fulfillment and completion in the future.
And we grow in holiness.
The one aspect, yes.
No, imperfection is a different word. Here is the Greek word teleios, translated as perfect in Matt 5:48:
Definition
  1. brought to its end, finished
  2. wanting nothing necessary to completeness
  3. perfect
  4. that which is perfect
    1. consummate human integrity and virtue
    2. of men
      1. full grown, adult, of full age, mature
King James Word Usage - Total: 19
perfect 17, man 1, of full age 1
https://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/kjv/teleios.html
We certainly are.
While God might make it possible, there is no Christian who ever has or will attain perfect obedience because we still battle the flesh, temptation, and the enemy.
Yes, I know. He had not attained it. That is clear. But he adds, "or am already perfect," which refers to the rest of the verse and the two that follow.
assure you, it's scriptural and in no way whatsoever implies such. Justification is a one-time event only. The ongoing process of sanctification is done by the Spirit working in us to walk by the Spirit and grow in holiness over our lifetime.
Nope.
Where does John say that "If we walk in darkness we cannot say we have no sin"? Something John actually wrote I can state the following, because it is :
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we say we have sin, we don't deceive ourselves, and the truth is in us.
Of course. That goes without saying. But it is more correct to follow John in saying that "God is light." It is speaking of his absolute nature and represents a number of things--glory; truth; holiness; love; life; etc.
Of course not. How can you even come to such a conclusion
This is not a biblical position. The whole point John is making is that believers do sin and to say otherwise is false and self-deception, and makes God a liar. But when we do sin, we can confess our sins and find forgiveness, since Jesus is our advocate before the Father.
Jesus could, but we can't. Much of the NT testifies to this.
Of course I do. I'm not sure how you came to such a conclusion. It just doesn't mean that one is sinless or can live without sin.
Of course, but that is not what we're discussing.
"(your version of the KJ bible". You are aware that I'm using the ESV, which is why I always put ESV, so why keep referring to it as "your version of the KJ Bible"?
John is clearly writing to believers--"My little children"--and saying that if any of them does sin, Jesus is their advocate. All they need is to confess their sins and be forgiven (1:9).
No, I'm quite confident that I didn't. It's actually a pretty straightforward, clear passage. John is writing to believers and encouraging them not to sin, but if they do, they need to confess those sins to be forgiven and cleansed.
What is the purpose of an advocate? What is the reason believers need an advocate? What is the reason believers need Christ to intercede continually on their behalf (Rom 8:34; Heb 7:25)?
You know my position, so replying to your reasons to continue to commit sin are not necessary.

Last edited:
That is just "remaining sanctified".
No, it is not. We are set apart when we are justified, but we are not automatically fully mature believers, nor are we made perfect. There is much spiritual growth and growth in holiness that must take place over one's lifetime, in which we play a part.

Your version of the bible adds..." leading to sanctification. (Rom 6:19)
It should read..."I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness."
Your version implies something that we must do more to be sanctified/holy when it has already happened to the servants of righteousness.
Once again, it's the ESV, not "your version."

Rom 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness. (KJV)

Rom 6:19 I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification. (ESV)

Notice that Paul is contrasting one's members being slaves to "uncleanness" which leads "to iniquity unto iniquity," with one's members being slaves to "righteousness unto holiness." "Unto" means the same as "leading to." They say the exact same thing. There is no difference in meaning.

Or, as M. R. Vincent puts it:

Holiness (ἁγιασμόν)

Rev., sanctification. For the kindred adjective ἅγιος holy, see on saints, Act_26:10. Ἁγιασμός is used in the New Testament both of a process - the inauguration and maintenance of the life of fellowship with God, and of the resultant state of sanctification. See 1Th_4:3, 1Th_4:7; 2Th_2:13; 1Ti_2:15; 1Pe_1:2; Heb_12:14. It is difficult to determine which is meant here. The passages in Thessalonians, Timothy, and Hebrews, are cited by interpreters on both sides. As in Rom_6:22 it appears that sanctification contemplates a further result (everlasting life), it is perhaps better to understand it as the process. Yield your members to righteousness in order to carry on the progressive work of sanctification, perfecting holiness (1Co_7:1).

Get sanctified and stay there.
As I said, there are two aspects to sanctification--past and present (continual). You still sin, so you are not holy in the way Jesus was holy on earth or the way God is holy. That is what we are in process towards, to be like Christ.

Holy is a definition of sanctified.
Along with "set apart, consecrated, and atoned for".
By insisting one is gradual, you must accept that all are gradual.
So, are you gradually being "atoned for" over time?
It doesn't follow that if in one context, one is gradual, that in a different context one of the others or even the same one must be gradual. These are the nuances that one must take care to delineate.

God's will is that we remain sanctified.
It's his will that we grow in holiness and become more like Christ, not merely remain in the state in which we are first saved.

Unless the audience isn't all Christians.
I wasn't holy/sanctified when I read it the first twenty times.
It says what it says. He is writing to believers and exhorts them to be holy.

1Pe 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, (ESV)

You know my position, so replying to your reasons to continue to commit sin are not necessary.
That's one way to deflect and not answer objections. Believers clearly sin, and fairly often, which is why we need to grow in holiness and not be left in the state we are in when first saved. The good thing is, when we do sin, we have an advocate before the Father, and all we have to do is confess our sins and he will forgive us. That is the simple, clear message of 1 John 1:5-2:1.

No, it is not. We are set apart when we are justified, but we are not automatically fully mature believers, nor are we made perfect. There is much spiritual growth and growth in holiness that must take place over one's lifetime, in which we play a part.

Once again, it's the ESV, not "your version."

Rom 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness. (KJV)

Rom 6:19 I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification. (ESV)

Notice that Paul is contrasting one's members being slaves to "uncleanness" which leads "to iniquity unto iniquity," with one's members being slaves to "righteousness unto holiness." "Unto" means the same as "leading to." They say the exact same thing. There is no difference in meaning.

Or, as M. R. Vincent puts it:

Holiness (ἁγιασμόν)

Rev., sanctification. For the kindred adjective ἅγιος holy, see on saints, Act_26:10. Ἁγιασμός is used in the New Testament both of a process - the inauguration and maintenance of the life of fellowship with God, and of the resultant state of sanctification. See 1Th_4:3, 1Th_4:7; 2Th_2:13; 1Ti_2:15; 1Pe_1:2; Heb_12:14. It is difficult to determine which is meant here. The passages in Thessalonians, Timothy, and Hebrews, are cited by interpreters on both sides. As in Rom_6:22 it appears that sanctification contemplates a further result (everlasting life), it is perhaps better to understand it as the process. Yield your members to righteousness in order to carry on the progressive work of sanctification, perfecting holiness (1Co_7:1).

As I said, there are two aspects to sanctification--past and present (continual). You still sin, so you are not holy in the way Jesus was holy on earth or the way God is holy. That is what we are in process towards, to be like Christ.

It doesn't follow that if in one context, one is gradual, that in a different context one of the others or even the same one must be gradual. These are the nuances that one must take care to delineate.

It's his will that we grow in holiness and become more like Christ, not merely remain in the state in which we are first saved.

It says what it says. He is writing to believers and exhorts them to be holy.

1Pe 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, (ESV)

That's one way to deflect and not answer objections. Believers clearly sin, and fairly often, which is why we need to grow in holiness and not be left in the state we are in when first saved. The good thing is, when we do sin, we have an advocate before the Father, and all we have to do is confess our sins and he will forgive us. That is the simple, clear message of 1 John 1:5-2:1.
Like the omnipresent God, so is the opposer.

Last edited:
When we first accept Christ as our savior several spiritual things take place.

The best part is that God spiritually places us "In Christ" we are "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven. God only sees us as "In Christ". This means that spiritually Jesus fulfilled the law for us and atoned for our sin. Paul said to the Colossians, "For you are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God" Colossians 3:3.

Because God sees us "In Christ" we are sealed with the Holy Spirit. "In whom you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your salvation: in whom after that you believed, you were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise" Ephesians 1:13. There is no unsealing. Once sealed, always sealed.

Beware of those who teach that you can lose you salvation if you sin. "There is nothing that can separate us from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ" Romans 8:35-39.

When we first accept Christ as our savior several spiritual things take place.

The best part is that God spiritually places us "In Christ" we are "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven. God only sees us as "In Christ". This means that spiritually Jesus fulfilled the law for us and atoned for our sin. Paul said to the Colossians, "For you are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God" Colossians 3:3.

Because God sees us "In Christ" we are sealed with the Holy Spirit. "In whom you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your salvation: in whom after that you believed, you were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise" Ephesians 1:13. There is no unsealing. Once sealed, always sealed.

Beware of those who teach that you can lose you salvation if you sin. "There is nothing that can separate us from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ" Romans 8:35-39.
Also beware of those who say to ignore those scriptures that warn the believer not to turn away.

Of course not, as they don't commit sin.

It is written..."For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Cor 5:21)
Excellent scripture. Christ is our righteousness. Jesus makes us right with God because we are sinners. This is how we are saved. Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the whole world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Back