Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

if one doest accept the trinity then what was jesus?

shad said:
Here you go Danus, I bolded and underlined what I picked.

yes, I know where you got it. I'm not asking you to remind me. I'm really not asking anything and you know that. I just don't understand your motives. I said to MM that I was not prepared to discuss the trinity in this thread; that I needed to prepare more, and that I wanted to study up but that I might ask a question or two. You picked out a little tid-bit and asked me how I test my beliefs. Just seems counter to this thread and the subject at hand.

My answer to your question is not going to satisfy you. You will butcher it up and ask me another question. It's more like the Spanish inquisition sometimes with you my friend.

Then when I ask a question, I can't get a straight answer. Like talking to an Enron executive. So, when I say I don't know what your motives are, I mean just that. I simply made a statement saying that I'm always willing to test my beliefs; meaning that I like to hear from others what they believe and weigh it against my own understandings. Then you expand on that with this whole baring fruit thing. Just seems like a 180; another twisted turn to move the thread away from it's central focus. A thread you started by the way. I've already told MM that I'm not prepared to discuss the trinity in this thread so to speak.

Mysteryman said:
Of course there is nothing wrong with a dictionary. But a dictionary does not dictate what scripture is saying. The usage of a word from scripture is how we study the scriptures. Not how a dictionary gives a definition of a word. Understanding words and their meaning is important, but we must first look at the scriptures to see how and when and why they are used within scripture. How they are used in association. Never, ever is the word "person" used in association with God Almighty, never !

This is your argument?

Sorry, but the dictionary DICTATES the meaning of what we find in Scriptures, not the other way around. Without defining the meaning of a word, the letters in the bible are just meaningless characters. The Bible does not tell us the definition of a person. It refers to humans, but it does NOT follow that those are the limits of understanding of the meaning.

Referring to God as a Person is similar to referring to God as an "Entity" or "Being". They are philosophical definitions that are not against the meaning of Scriptures. With the definition given for a "person", God certainly fits that criteria, so God is a Person, philosophically speaking. This is a necessity, to speak philosophically about God, because God is, by nature, mysterious.

Danus said:
that I needed to prepare more, and that I wanted to study up
Danus, let me suggest a really good book if you are interested. It is entitled "The Holy Trinity" and was written by Cornelius J. Hagerty, C.S.C. (whatever those Initials stand for :shrug ). Father Hagerty was a Catholic priest and also a professor at the Univ. of Notre Dame. He wrote with those intending to teach in mind, so it is an extremely in-depth book. He discusses the first 6 councils, Arianism, Modalism, as well as the history of the Holy Trinity throughout Church history. I thought it was an extremely informative book.

God bless, Westtexas

shad said:
Sinthesis said:
[

1Ti 3:16 - And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was Jesus.

Here is actual quote:

Timothy 3:16 (New International Version)
16Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great:
He[a] appeared in a body,
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.

You added Jesus was God. shame on you.
Actually the He is this passage is God , showing that Jesus was indeed God in the flesh show by the KJV version of this same passage.

1st Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

You try to change the plain meaning of scripture, finding a version you think fits your agenda. Shame on you

Mysteryman said:
Sinthesis said:
  • Tts 2:9 - [Exhort] servants to be obedient unto their own masters, [and] to please [them] well in all [things]; not answering again;
    Tts 2:10 - Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.
    Tts 2:11 ¶ For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
    Tts 2:12 - Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
    Tts 2:13 - Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
    Tts 2:14 - Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
    Tts 2:15 - These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Hi

Do you believe that man can and will see God here upon this earth ? Do you believe that Titus would contradict scripture, that no man has seen God at any time ?
We cannot see the invisible God the Father, yet we can see His Image, God the Son. :clap

Mysteryman said:
Never, ever is the word "person" used in association with God Almighty, never !
  • Hbr 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    Hbr 1:2 - Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    Hbr 1:3 - Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
    Hbr 1:4 - Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
:biglol

shad said:
Sinthesis said:
[

1Ti 3:16 - And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was Jesus.

Here is actual quote:

Timothy 3:16 (New International Version)
16Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great:
He[a] appeared in a body,
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.

You added Jesus was God. shame on you.

• Job 13:5 - O that ye would altogether hold your peace! and it should be your wisdom.
:shame

Mysteryman said:
God is Spirit ! True, Jesus Christ was not created, I agree. He was born of the virgin Mary, and the Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary. Jesus the Christ, is both, the son of man and the Son of God. Thus, his flesh is of man, which was taken from the earth. However, his seed is spiritual, which comes from his Father. Jesus the Christ is the seed Son of God - speaking spiritually.

I've been waiting for clarification on this for some time now. I'm curious about your view on how Jesus could not have a Creator, yet not be God. If He is Uncreated, then He is, in some way, God, correct? Thanks.

Sinthesis said:
Mysteryman said:
  • Hbr 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    Hbr 1:2 - Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    Hbr 1:3 - Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
    Hbr 1:4 - Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Hi

Was not the son of man, a human ? The son of man,as well as the Son of God !

Mysteryman said:
Sinthesis said:
Mysteryman said:

Hi

Was not the son of man, a human ? The son of man,as well as the Son of God !
Wouldn't the fact that He was the son of man makes Him human also mean that because He was the Son of God make Him God?

francisdesales said:
Mysteryman said:
Of course there is nothing wrong with a dictionary. But a dictionary does not dictate what scripture is saying. The usage of a word from scripture is how we study the scriptures. Not how a dictionary gives a definition of a word. Understanding words and their meaning is important, but we must first look at the scriptures to see how and when and why they are used within scripture. How they are used in association. Never, ever is the word "person" used in association with God Almighty, never !

This is your argument?

Sorry, but the dictionary DICTATES the meaning of what we find in Scriptures, not the other way around. Without defining the meaning of a word, the letters in the bible are just meaningless characters. The Bible does not tell us the definition of a person. It refers to humans, but it does NOT follow that those are the limits of understanding of the meaning.

Referring to God as a Person is similar to referring to God as an "Entity" or "Being". They are philosophical definitions that are not against the meaning of Scriptures. With the definition given for a "person", God certainly fits that criteria, so God is a Person, philosophically speaking. This is a necessity, to speak philosophically about God, because God is, by nature, mysterious.

Hi Joe:

Do you know what the definition of the word "father" means, without taking out a dictionary to confirm its meaning ?

The same should hold true with the word "person"

The word "Person" is not similar to the words "entity or being". Angels are spirit beings and evil spirits are also called devil spirits. Satan who was once called Lucifer in heaven, and is a spirit being, not a person ! A human being can be a person, but a spirit being cannot be a person ! Earthly is earthly or of the earth, to say terrestrial, and heavenly is of heaven , or to say celestial.

The reason people want to use this word "person" in association with God, is to bring God down to their level of understanding. Instead of growing spiritually, many , if not most , do not want to grow spiritually. They would prefer to remain ignorant, and they also would prefer not to grow spiritually. They spend more time defending their ignorance , than putting forth effort to grow spiritually.

Bringing God down to the level of man/mankind is the only way in which some can come to any kind of understandings of God. This is carnal thinking, but this is the way in which babes find a way to understand at their level.

God was never associated as being a person anywhere within scriptures. Knowning this to be true, then why do people associate in such a manner ? Simple , the answer is ignorance and wanting to remain ignorant. Also, they want to remain as a babe , who only drinks the milk of the word. This also means, that they are unskillful in the scriptures, and they wish to remain as such.

Trinitarism wants to make God three persons or three entities. God is one, and He is only one entitiy when speaking of God Almighty ! God is One ! Not three ! You can say God is one, until you are blue in the face. As long as you continue to explain God as three entities, you are not calling God Almighty one entity !

God created man in His own image , and man is not three entities ! Man is only one person ! Adam was not three persons ! Nor was he three entities ! Adam was a father, and God called him a son of God (figuratively speaking), but God never called Adam, a Holy Spirit . God gave man , by breathing into his nostriles , not only the breath of life, but also the spirit of man. Prior to breathing into the nostriles of man, man was already created in the image of God. Man was not created in the image of God with a spirit. And never with the Holy Spirit. Man was created both male and female. Not body , soul and spirit ! Man has a body, and a soul, and was given a spirit, the spirit of man. But man was not created as such. Man was created in the image of God, male and female. One entity, which became two. Man and woman. Then God tells the two to become one again. < This is the image of God !

if that was the case then woman should be able to lead men in church.

each sex represent a part of the image of god. marriage is another type of reflection. something that looks like the trinity itself.

god in the marriage, the father, the husband =christ, the bride the holy spirit. of course the two rules can be reversed at times.(man and the woman)

Mysteryman said:
Do you know what the definition of the word "father" means, without taking out a dictionary to confirm its meaning ?

The same should hold true with the word "person"

Sorry, I am missing the apparent analogy you are trying to make.

Mysteryman said:
The word "Person" is not similar to the words "entity or being". Angels are spirit beings and evil spirits are also called devil spirits. Satan who was once called Lucifer in heaven, and is a spirit being, not a person ! A human being can be a person, but a spirit being cannot be a person !

You simply refuse to listen to a definition given in a dictionary. It appears you'll say anything, no matter how foolish, as long as you appear right in an argument...

Mysteryman said:
Earthly is earthly or of the earth, to say terrestrial, and heavenly is of heaven , or to say celestial.

"heavenly" has multiple meanings, as well. It can refer to material objects in the sky or a spiritual state of existence. Definitions can be our friends when discussing issues.

Mysteryman said:
The reason people want to use this word "person" in association with God, is to bring God down to their level of understanding.

The point of writing the Bible was for men to BEGIN to understand God, wasn't it? God condescended to reveal Himself through the words and actions of Jesus Christ, God becoming man. Every word and deed of Christ can be analyzed to obtain further data on God - that was the purpose of God manifesting Himself in the physical form of Jesus.

Mysteryman said:
Instead of growing spiritually, many , if not most , do not want to grow spiritually.

No need for the lecture. Everyone here wants to grow spiritually.

Mysteryman said:
God was never associated as being a person anywhere within scriptures.

Jesus. Haven't you read the New Testament?

Mysteryman said:
Trinitarism wants to make God three persons or three entities.

God revealed Himself as three persons.

Mysteryman said:
God is one.

Finally, you said something correct...

Mysteryman said:
God created man in His own image , and man is not three entities !

Nor is man an invisible, spiritual being. Nor is man eternal and all powerful. Obviously, the Bible does not have "in mind" that ALL attributes of God are now man's attributes...

Mysteryman said:
Man was created in the image of God, male and female. One entity, which became two. Man and woman. Then God tells the two to become one again. < This is the image of God !

Two persons becoming one. Hmm. I think you are on to something here.
Three persons are one... Hmm...

Hi Joe:

I never said that two persons would become one person ! Your putting words in my mouth Joe !

I said the two become one, and that is all I said.

When God created Man, he creaed him male and female . But one must remember, that God didn't form man as of yet. That came on day eight.

God created man in his own image male and female. Gender can always be applied to either mankind or animal kind, but also it can be applies to spiritual beings as well. Angels were called sons of God. The word son or sons implies gender, but does not necessarily imply kind.

When God told them to become one, God was not telling them to become one person. He was telling them to come together in one purpose. When male and female unit as one, it can bring about an offspring. This is what God meant by the two becoming one again. Even in the act of procreation, the male sperm = seed comes together with the female ovum = egg. The two become one and this brings about a new born after nine months of gestation. God wanted them to be fruitful and multiply.

And since God created man in His own image, the same application applies to God himself. This is why there is no such thing, when it comes to the image of God, that the three become one. It is the two become one ! < And this is the truth !

We call God our dear heavenly Father, and for good reason. God takes on the male gender role from a spiritual POV. Jesus Christ is the offspring of God, His Father, and this is why Jesus the Christ is called the only begotten Son of God. God sent His Son, not himself ! The Father is in heaven, and His offspring (seed)(bread) from heaven , was sent here by God. God gave His only begotten Son. His seed Son ! This is also why Jesus was a man, because of the male gender. The male gender carries with it authority. The male gender also carries with it, the image of God, which the first man Adam also was a portrayal. I Corinth. 11:7

My turn;
Sorry I am just a rookie here but I thank the moderators the starters that began this web-site.
I am so excited to find Christians willing to allow me free speech!

As SHAD said in the beginning of this thread if you dont believe the trinity churches either ask you to leave or kick you out or treat you as second class..

Test the Spirits

1 John 4
1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,

3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

Many who are unlearned and untrained in the old testament do not understand what it means;
" Jesus Christ has come in the flesh."

I have no desire to re-hash all the Trinitarian arguments so I ask a simple question please show me one bible verse that says, God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. Then I will believe.

Signed Doubting Thomas

matthew 28;29, go ye unto the world baptising the then in the name of the father , the son and the holy ghost. hard to see those as one and the same being when they has a triune nature to that.

**BUMP AGAIN FOR MM**

Mysteryman said:
God is Spirit ! True, Jesus Christ was not created, I agree. He was born of the virgin Mary, and the Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary. Jesus the Christ, is both, the son of man and the Son of God. Thus, his flesh is of man, which was taken from the earth. However, his seed is spiritual, which comes from his Father. Jesus the Christ is the seed Son of God - speaking spiritually.

I've been waiting for clarification on this for some time now. I'm curious about your view on how Jesus could not have a Creator, yet not be God. If He is Uncreated, then He is, in some way, God, correct? Thanks.

Re: if one doest accept the trinity then what was jesus?

New postby jasoncran on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:15 am
matthew 28;29, go ye unto the world baptising the then in the name of the father , the son and the holy ghost. hard to see those as one and the same being when they has a triune nature to that.

.................................................................................................................................

Craig said;
What? I am not sure what you are trying to show? Please explain your self better!

Are you trying to show a verse that proves God the Son or what?

dadof10 said:
**BUMP AGAIN FOR MM**

Mysteryman said:

Hi dad

Just re-read what I wrote within the box of this reply !

Mysteryman said:
Hi Joe:

I never said that two persons would become one person ! Your putting words in my mouth Joe !

I said the two become one, and that is all I said.

The context indicates two persons become one person. Adam and Eve are two persons. They become "one". Even if you don't say "become one PERSON", that is what the Scriptures means, without saying it. If you disagree with the context of the Bible, then become one "what"? Two persons become one "what"?

Mysteryman said:
When God created Man, he creaed him male and female . But one must remember, that God didn't form man as of yet. That came on day eight.

God created a formless male and female? I thought men and women were persons, which, according to you, means they were enfleshed, since you think a person is strictly a visible human. Thus, when God created man, He didn't create a person? Now you are really confused...

Mysteryman said:
God created man in his own image male and female.

So now God is male and female? Is that why God created a male and a female? Because God is both genders?

Mysteryman said:
When God told them to become one, God was not telling them to become one person. He was telling them to come together in one purpose.

Not within the context. There is not speaking of two separate purposes becoming one combined purpose. Adam did not have a purpose, while Eve another, which became conjoined. Confused again, I see. The Bible here is not speaking of "purpose", but rather, two separate entities with two separate wills becoming AS IF one entity, one will.

Mysteryman said:
And since God created man in His own image, the same application applies to God himself. This is why there is no such thing, when it comes to the image of God, that the three become one. It is the two become one ! < And this is the truth !

Your logic doesn't lead to this conclusion, quite the opposite, and that is the truth...

Mysteryman said:
We call God our dear heavenly Father, and for good reason. God takes on the male gender role from a spiritual POV. Jesus Christ is the offspring of God, His Father, and this is why Jesus the Christ is called the only begotten Son of God. God sent His Son, not himself ! The Father is in heaven, and His offspring (seed)(bread) from heaven , was sent here by God. God gave His only begotten Son. His seed Son ! This is also why Jesus was a man, because of the male gender. The male gender carries with it authority. The male gender also carries with it, the image of God, which the first man Adam also was a portrayal. I Corinth. 11:7

So who or where is the female in God, since you appear to think God is both genders, since He made male and female in His image? You say God created woman in His image, but where is this female in God??? I don't recall a "God the Mother" in your version of theology.

Back