Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is Baptism necessary for Salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not, as Heb 6 mentions the doctrine of baptisms...plural.

Baptism for the remission of past sins, without calling on the name of the Lord, is a bath.
Calling on the name of the Lord, without baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins, is a waste of breath.
All the ingredients must be used in this recipe.

Call on Him during your water baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of past sins.

I'll bet the Ethiopian eunuch, and Cornelius' house, and Lydia's family of Thyatira, and the Philippian jailer's family, and the many at Corinth, all rejoiced at the words being spoken to them.
And, they all got baptized !
usually I can agree or disagree depending on evidence, but your pov is just a pov...God can make one stand because God judges the intentions of the heart.

I wish you would have humbled yourself in that area.

But what about the Ethiopian eunuch??????
Lets see what scripture says happened fully.
It's not about rather they got baptized It's what baptism meant to them, and about what it means to us today. Did it save them?

Yes we know they were baptized but they were already shown to be saved.

While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.

If the Lord, or His apostles, command me to do anything for salvation, I will do it.
I have been commanded to turn from sin and get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins. (Acts 2:38)
Having obeyed Peter...who was obeying Jesus, I was given the gift of the Holy Ghost.
You're delusional with your false religion.
Babies have no need of repentance from sin.
If they die, they will be raised to eternal life.
Why clean a clean baby ?
These are contradictory statements according to your formula from Acts 2:38. To be raised to eternal life they must have received the Holy Spirit, and for that they must be baptized, right? Jesus was sinless, yet he still got baptized, so why not babies?

usually I can agree or disagree depending on evidence, but your pov is just a pov...God can make one stand because God judges the intentions of the heart.
All those I cited got baptized.
I stand on what is written.
It's not about rather they got baptized It's what baptism meant to them, and about what it means to us today. Did it save them?
Salvation won't be assured until the day of judgement.
Your allusions to it are a strawman argument.
Your judgement won't over rule God's judgement on the last day.
While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.
A fervent Gentile was visited by an angel who directed him to call for Peter, who had the words of salvation for him.,
The Gentile does as directed, and when Peter arrives, and speaks, God gives the Gentile and his household the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Peter responds by asking if anyone can deny the Gentiles the waters of baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, like the Jews were given.
The Gentiles' repentance was already evidenced by his actions beforehand.
He and his household received the gift of the Holy Ghost...manifested by speaking in tongues.
They were baptized with water, assuredly in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
All three requirements Peter initially provided in Acts 2:38 on the day of Pentecost.
"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38)

If your intent is to provide some other way than Peter offered us for salvation, your's can only be a false gospel.

You're delusional with your false religion.
Your response to my testimony shows your disregard for what is written in the bible.
These are contradictory statements according to your formula from Acts 2:38. To be raised to eternal life they must have received the Holy Spirit, and for that they must be baptized, right? Jesus was sinless, yet he still got baptized, so why not babies?
If one has no sin, how can they repent of sin ?
If one has committed no sin, why would they require baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins ?
Peter's formula in Acts 2:38 is for those who are of age to make the decision to submit to God for themselves.

Jesus' baptism was His way of fulfilling the Numbers 8, OT requirements, for becoming a priest.

If baptism isn't necessary for the Salvation of the soul, then why were they COMMANDED to be baptized after receiving the Holy Ghost. If they were ALREADY saved there would be no need to be baptized.

Your response to my testimony shows your disregard for what is written in the bible.
I only have disregard for your false doctrines as deserved.
If one has no sin, how can they repent of sin ?
If one has committed no sin, why would they require baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins ?
Because if water baptism is necessary for salvation, you can't inherit eternal life without baptism. If babies who tragically pass away enter eternal life, according to you, then they must be baptized, right?
Peter's formula in Acts 2:38 is for those who are of age to make the decision to submit to God for themselves.
If it's a "formula", then it must be universal, there's no "coming of age" mentioned in there, you made it up.
Jesus' baptism was His way of fulfilling the Numbers 8, OT requirements, for becoming a priest.
But aren't we all priests of His gospel? Or should there be a special class of priests playing the gatekeeper between God and man?

Last edited:
If it's a "formula", then it must be universal, there's no "coming of age" mentioned in there, you made it up.
Jesus taught about having the faith of a little child and said suffer not the children to come to me. If baptism were possible or necessary for children that truly weren't capable of understanding the significance Christ would have mentioned it or there would have been at least one example written in Scripture.

Jesus taught about having the faith of a little child and said suffer not the children to come to me. If baptism were possible or necessary for children that truly weren't capable of understanding the significance Christ would have mentioned it or there would have been at least one example written in Scripture.
Because water Baptism is not necessary for salvation, hearing and believing the gospel are. The completion of the great commission is not having people all over the world baptized and converted, but having the gospel preached to all nations on earth.

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come." (Matt. 24:14)

I only have disregard for your false doctrines as deserved.
Too bad.
Because if water baptism is necessary for salvation, you can't internal eternal life without baptism. If babies who tragically pass away enter eternal life, according to you, then they must be baptized, right?
How about explaining "you can't internal eternal life" ???
Baptism is for the remission of past sins.
Babies have no sin to be baptized for.
It is a formula, the word you used earlier, for the repentant.
But aren't we all priests of His gospel?
We are, if we have turned from sin and been baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
And received the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Or should there be a special class of priests playing the gatekeeper between God and man?
Anyone can baptize.
As long as it is done in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins, it is a valid cleansing of past sins.

Too bad.

How about explaining "you can't internal eternal life" ???
Baptism is for the remission of past sins.
Babies have no sin to be baptized for.

It is a formula, the word you used earlier, for the repentant.

We are, if we have turned from sin and been baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
And received the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Anyone can baptize.
As long as it is done in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins, it is a valid cleansing of past sins.
If water baptism is necessary for salvation, then infant baptism is a valid practice to meet the requirement and prepare babies for salvation; if not, then infant baptism is invalid. You claim that babies who tragically pass away automatically enter into eternal life, but that's impossible if water baptism is a hard requirement and they die without being baptized. You can't have it both ways by defending baptismal salvation while denouncing infant baptism.

If water baptism is necessary for salvation, then infant baptism is a valid practice to meet the requirement and prepare babies for salvation; if not, then infant baptism is invalid. You claim that babies who tragically pass away automatically enter into eternal life, but that's impossible if water baptism is a hard requirement and they die without being baptized. You can't have it both ways by defending baptismal salvation while denouncing infant baptism.
Water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, is for the remission of past sins.
It accomplishes other things too.
Baby baptism is invalid.
They have no sin to be washed away, like the repentant do.

I said it once and I'll say it again, those who don't believe in baptism for Salvation are just as guilty as those who shouted "Crucify Him, Crucify Him!"

The name of Jesus carries immense significance; it is through His name that believers are baptized and receive the Holy Spirit. This view emphasizes that genuine faith must manifest in obedience to the commands of Christ, which includes the directive to be baptized. When individuals reject baptism as a prerequisite for salvation, they are not only undermining Jesus’ teachings but also denying the transformative power that accompanies this sacred act. The early apostles, particularly Peter in Acts 2:38, proclaimed, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins." This command is foundational to Salvation, and to ignore it is to turn a blind eye to the very words that Jesus and His apostles delivered.

Thus, just as the people who shouted for Jesus' crucifixion made a grave error in judgment, so too do those who disregard the significance of baptism for salvation demonstrate a profound misunderstanding of God's plan for redemption. It is a rejection not just of a doctrine, but of the entirety of what it means to enter into a covenant relationship with Christ—a relationship that is initiated through faith, repentance, and baptism in His name. The necessity of baptism is not a mere theological debate but a matter of eternal consequence, highlighting the urgency for all to recognize and embrace the full scope of salvation as outlined in Scripture.

Last edited:
Water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, is for the remission of past sins.
It accomplishes other things too.
Baby baptism is invalid.
They have no sin to be washed away, like the repentant do.
But how is it invalid if it's absolutely required for salvation? How much and for how long should the baby sin so that they could repent and have their sins washed away?

The great commission is found here Matthew 28:19 ""Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name..."
Then why didn't Jesus prophesy that "all nations are baptized in the name of the holy trinity for the remission of sins", then the end will come? Why didn't the two witnesses in Rev. 11 go baptize anybody?

I said it once and I'll say it again, those who don't believe in baptism for Salvation are just as guilty as those who shouted "Crucify Him, Crucify Him!"

You believe in Jesus as your lord and savior, receive the gospel first, then you get baptized, not the other way around. You're guilty of yielding God's salvation plan to human institutions for manipulation. The bottom line is, salvation is a FREE GIFT, any work, ritual or tradition are results that proceed from salvation.

Last edited:
Then why didn't Jesus prophesy that "all nations are baptized in the name of the holy trinity for the remission of sins", then the end will come? Why didn't the two witnesses in Rev. 11 go baptize anybody?
The church is raptured before Revelation 11. No need for baptism anymore. The only way to be saved then is to be martyred.

Preaching water baptism for salvation makes you a false prophet which Jesus warned about in the Olivet Discourse. You believe in Jesus as your lord and savior, receive the gospel first, then you get baptized, not the other way around. You're guilty of yielding God's salvation plan to human institutions for manipulation. The bottom line is, salvation is a FREE GIFT, any work, ritual or tradition are results that proceed from salvation.
Baptism is not seen as a mere ritual or tradition but as a vital, transformative act that signifies the believer's identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus Himself was baptized, setting an example for His followers. Therefore, rejecting baptism as a prerequisite for salvation risks neglecting a command that Jesus and the apostles established as foundational to the faith.

Jesus Himself exemplified the significance of baptism when He was baptized by John the Baptist. In Matthew 3:15, Christ stated that it was necessary to fulfill all righteousness. This act was not merely symbolic; it established a precedent for all believers to follow, demonstrating that baptism is an essential step in the process of entering into a covenant relationship with God. Without it you are not in covenant with God.

It is not a means of manipulation or a human institution, baptism is an essential expression of faith that affirms one’s commitment to live according to the teachings of Jesus. The urgency to embrace the fullness of God’s salvation plan, which includes baptism, is crucial for understanding the depth of His grace and mercy, as well as the commitment required to truly walk in faith.

The church is raptured before Revelation 11. No need for baptism anymore. The only way to be saved then is to be martyred.
Great, now you turn to rapture, another hype-filled false doctrine!
Baptism is not seen as a mere ritual or tradition but as a vital, transformative act that signifies the believer's identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus Himself was baptized, setting an example for His followers. Therefore, rejecting baptism as a prerequisite for salvation risks neglecting a command that Jesus and the apostles established as foundational to the faith.

Jesus Himself exemplified the significance of baptism when He was baptized by John the Baptist. In Matthew 3:15, Christ stated that it was necessary to fulfill all righteousness. This act was not merely symbolic; it established a precedent for all believers to follow, demonstrating that baptism is an essential step in the process of entering into a covenant relationship with God. Without it you are not in covenant with God.
But what sin had Jesus committed that he had to repent? He was born of the Holy Spirit, totally sinless. He didn't get baptized into repentance for salvation - He WAS salvation, his name means God saves! His baptism marked the start of his ministry, that's when he formerly received the power of the Holy Spirit. It is blasphemous to equate ourselves with Jesus - are you sinless? Do you have a ministry to run? The covenant relationship with God was ratified through his blood that washes away our sins, and the foundation of Christian faith is a worldview of four pillars - Creation, Fall, Salvation and Glorification. If you don't have these, then water baptism is nothing but a bath with no supernatural power.
It is not a means of manipulation or a human institution, baptism is an essential expression of faith that affirms one’s commitment to live according to the teachings of Jesus. The urgency to embrace the fullness of God’s salvation plan, which includes baptism, is crucial for understanding the depth of His grace and mercy, as well as the commitment required to truly walk in faith.
As long as you sell it as a hard requirement for salvation, it's doomed to be a means of manipulation - who's qualified to get baptized, who's qualified to baptize, what manner of baptism is acceptable to God, etc. etc, you still can't answer any of these questions. If you can't, then the "human institution" can, and there goes the manipulation. God's salvation plan is his gospel that he gave his own son to take our place and die for out sins, to fully embrace His salvation is to believe the gospel, accept him as our Lord and Savior, receive the Holy Spirit and be transformed. Anything else is secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back