Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is Being Against Tatoos the Law?

Should Christians Have Tatoos?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pontius Pilate (I wash my hands)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It's not the Baptist thing to do!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Church of the Enlightened Path does it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You mentioned Leviticus 28; it's interesting that the adjacent verse to 'cutting for the dead' says about men not trimming the corners of their beards.
LOL.... I've heard of those who also say the piercing of one's ears is the destruction of one's body... Ack... we can't do anything! hmm.. I wonder if He will give me a direct answer on some of this stuff. Sometimes He gives direct answers, sometimes He doesn't. I can only assume the things He doesn't answer me on are things of little importance in His eyes.

You mentioned Leviticus 28; it's interesting that the adjacent verse to 'cutting for the dead' says about men not trimming the corners of their beards.
LOL.... I've heard of those who also say the piercing of one's ears is the destruction of one's body... Ack... we can't do anything! hmm.. I wonder if He will give me a direct answer on some of this stuff. Sometimes He gives direct answers, sometimes He doesn't. I can only assume the things He doesn't answer me on are things of little importance in His eyes.
@FloatingAxeHead :

People can get strongly convicted, one way or another. Some Christians might strongly have a conscience against getting a tattoo. Others might actually be convicted positively about the possibility of using a simple, decent design as a witness means (Christian fish sign <>< on wrist, or a reference from the Bible: 'Philippians 4.13', etc. I heard of someone considering a tribal armband tattoo into which she might want to interlace a Scripture reference or two.)

But authoritatively, God speaks through His Word, and sound principles of interpretation can be helpful in determining what His will is. This might be affected by people's theology. For example, some Reformed folk are insistent that the church = Israel and there is only one covenant, period and so somehow the ceremonial prohibitions of the Old Testament (which some people barely distinguish from the New Testament) supposedly apply. (I myself tend to see dispensational distinctions between the church and Israel, and between Old Testament saints as an earthly people being under the law, and the church as a heavenly people being under grace, not law - Galatians 4.16; Romans 6.14.) Romans 14.22 has a useful principle in relation to Christian liberty.

(A few Canadian cents' worth... now abolished :) .)

Blessings.

PS: Re.
I've heard of those who also say the piercing of one's ears is the destruction of one's body... Ack... we can't do anything!
Well, I guess this never stopped you before... :) (There is a thread on ear piercing, but this is another matter...)

So if you are someone with say a few ear piercings, or as a tattooed woman, I wouldn't let legalists guilt-manipulate you, anyway; this is not how true sanctification is promoted, as I see it. Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
[How do we learn to be the salt of the earth? What does that mean, anyway?

Sparrowhawke:

I think the analogy of salt is at least sometimes likely to be taken either way by some Christians in relation to tattoos.

For some Christians, who are motivated against them strongly, being a seasoning influence like salt involves - in their minds - persuading others not to have it done.

For others, the idea of the effectiveness of a faith based design in witness could be described as somewhat of a wholesome, seasoning influence.

So I guess the salt analogy could be taken either way.

Blessings.

I think the analogy of salt is at least sometimes likely to be taken either way by some Christians in relation to tattoos.

For some Christians, who are motivated against them strongly, being a seasoning influence like salt involves - in their minds - persuading others not to have it done.

The actual quote needs (like so many Scriptures) to be examined in its entirety. Hard to mistake the interpretation given in Col 4:6, right? It touches salt and grace together and ties in to "what prevents" showing that grace is also a preventative and preservative like salt... So many things to ponder, what does green mean?

'splain that one? I like that one.

PS:
I have a tattoo which I got in my late 20's so there's nothing that can be done about it now. .. I need to look further into it.
@FloatingAxeHead : You mentioned when you got yours. I think you'll find now also that, increasingly and widely, age 18 is when a significant proportion of young people expect to get it done for the first time (although it might not have been quite the custom when we were 18 to the same extent). Seems like now so often the trip to the parlor for first tattoo is linked with the 18th birthday or thereabouts as a kind of rite of passage, coming of age thing.

Some 18 year olds will have moms and dads that have tattoos as well and a lot of 18 year old Christians might well be baffled if a preacher tried to tell them that having it done is somehow rebellion against their parents: not a few 18 year olds might quietly respond: 'Funny, because mom has one as well'. Because the practice is so widespread and it's now increasingly associated with the verge of adulthood.

In such a climate, it's also not surprising and even inevitable if some Christian young people feel motivated to get something like a faith based design, (Bible wording, Christian fish sign <><) or similar, discreetly done.

Re. your tattoo, you mention: 'there's nothing that can be done about it now', and you must completely know your own feelings about it, of course. But I think also that increasingly - whether or not they choose to do it - many among a generation of Christian young people probably tend to treat the rite of passage trip to the parlor at 18 as more of a very widely established practice and maybe even testimony opportunity, rather than something for which a life-long burden of regret is warranted.

(I hope these further observations seem reasonably accurate.)

Blessings.

I have a tattoo which I got in my late 20's so there's nothing that can be done about it now.

If you want to, there is something you can do about it, at least, if it doesn't cover a huge part of your body. I knew a man many years ago who had gotten a tattoo of a naked lady on his arm when he was younger. After he got saved, it really bothered him and he went to a doctor to ask if anything could be done. What they did was to simply remove the skin from his arm, along with the tattoo and graft new skin there instead.
The TOG

I have a tattoo which I got in my late 20's so there's nothing that can be done about it now.

If you want to, there is something you can do about it, at least, if it doesn't cover a huge part of your body. I knew a man many years ago who had gotten a tattoo of a naked lady on his arm when he was younger. After he got saved, it really bothered him and he went to a doctor to ask if anything could be done. What they did was to simply remove the skin from his arm, along with the tattoo and graft new skin there instead.
The TOG

OW! :crying

The TOG

OW! :crying

I think they sedated him first. At least, I hope they did. I didn't ask.
The TOG

The TOG
@TOG :

If you would read #202 where @FloatingAxeHead has already described her design you would understand that it's a perfectly decent design: nothing to do with a 'naked lady'. (Honestly, some men seem to have naked ladies on the brain! Do remember that 59% of parlor clients in North America are women, with some areas reporting 70% and the great majority of these designs would be perfectly decent.) :chin

The actual quote needs (like so many Scriptures) to be examined in its entirety. Hard to mistake the interpretation given in Col 4:6, right? It touches salt and grace together and ties in to "what prevents" showing that grace is also a preventative and preservative like salt... So many things to ponder, what does green mean?

'splain that one? I like that one.

Sparrowhawke: Yes, it pertains to the spoken word in the context of Colossians 4.6. I guess with a lettered tattoo, depending on the meaning, it could apply to inked content as well.

Blessings.

The TOG
[MENTION=96759]TOG[/MENTION]:

If you would read #202 where [MENTION=96902]FloatingAxeHead[/MENTION] has already described the design you would understand that it's a perfectly decent design:

I never said there was anything wrong with it. I was merely replying to the statement "there's nothing that can be done about it now". Usually when someone says that, it means they wish there was something that could be done about it. Also, there are a lot of people who regret getting a tattoo, even if there is nothing wrong with the design.

nothing to do with a 'naked lady'.

I never said it had anything to do with a naked lady. That just happened to be what my friend got.

(Honestly, some men seem to have naked ladies on the brain!

I don't have naked ladies on the brain. It was just an example.
The TOG

remember even with bible verses and shirts. someone will get offended and I can see that with the cross and bible verses while in uniform and or off duty. trust me I can see that in the army.
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]:

Well, maybe.

On the other hand, a lot of young poeple at around the age of 18 will still want to have it done, I guess. So the DoD would have to live with this.

Blessings.

remember even with bible verses and shirts. someone will get offended and I can see that with the cross and bible verses while in uniform and or off duty. trust me I can see that in the army.

Well, maybe.
by doing what? live with it a disorderly army? yeah right. would you let your daughter get a tattoo of 666 at age 18 and then let her show it openly in your house? it would be offensive to you. right? well the cross can be that way to some. there is a time to witness and I have no problems with that and shirts fall under the first amendment and technically so do tats but under the ucmj I can regulate the first amendment rights when its causing discipline issues!
its like this if you have a friend who cant stand the mentioning of the Lord. if you want to visit him you either don't mention that name or don't visit him.in the barracks that isn't always a luxury! so either the issue is resolved by:
1) the offender learns to ignore the issue
2) the offendee covers up the offensive symbol
3) or the nco steps in and moves them or tells them grow up and also the offendee to cover up his tattoo. forcing jesus on anyone isn't the way to win souls. I don't go into my job broadcasting Christian music to those that I know don't like Christianity. and I do know a few of those. common sense!

Well, maybe.
by doing what? live with it a disorderly army? yeah right. would you let your daughter get a tattoo of 666 at age 18 and then let her show it openly in your house? it would be offensive to you. right? well the cross can be that way to some. there is a time to witness and I have no problems with that and shirts fall under the first amendment and technically so do tats but under the ucmj I can regulate the first amendment rights when its causing discipline issues!
its like this if you have a friend who cant stand the mentioning of the Lord. if you want to visit him you either don't mention that name or don't visit him.in the barracks that isn't always a luxury! so either the issue is resolved by:
1) the offender learns to ignore the issue
2) the offendee covers up the offensive symbol
3) or the nco steps in and moves them or tells them grow up and also the offendee to cover up his tattoo. forcing jesus on anyone isn't the way to win souls. I don't go into my job broadcasting Christian music to those that I know don't like Christianity. and I do know a few of those. common sense!

Oh, well. I guess - I'm certain - the idea of a 666 tattoo wouldn't occur to me or to anyone in my family, anyway.

Blessings.

that isn't the point the I picked that one but it could be anything that is offensive. yes the cross does offend. I know an atheist who wouldn't care if I did wear a shirt like that but not all sinners are amicable. a tattoo can be also hate like and we have mentioned that. you assume with me that all will just have clean and nice tats when in fact many aren't so clean. nude figures. and also demonic images,

that isn't the point the I picked that one but it could be anything that is offensive. yes the cross does offend. I know an atheist who wouldn't care if I did wear a shirt like that but not all sinners are amicable. a tattoo can be also hate like and we have mentioned that. you assume with me that all will just have clean and nice tats when in fact many aren't so clean. nude figures. and also demonic images,
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]: I see what you mean, I think.

Anyway I guess part of my point was that many 18 year olds, including some Christians, are likely to want what you rightly call clean and nice tats.

How this fits with military policy for those that are maybe less nice, I'm not sure. (A very significant proportion of military wives also have tattoos, many of which are patriotic or Christian in nature, as well.)

Blessings.

[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]: I see what you mean, I think.

Anyway I guess part of my point was that many 18 year olds, including some Christians, are likely to want what you rightly call clean and nice tats.

How this fits with military policy for those that are maybe less nice, I'm not sure. (A very significant proportion of military wives also have tattoos, many of which are patriotic or Christian in nature, as well.)

Blessings.
I posted that here to show how bad its gotten , traditional the army and other branches have based code on the puritian view of the world. that is why I said would you vote for a thug looking president. these changes also included piercings and gold teeth.

when we have women soldiers who look like men and have tats where have we gone. while the short hair cut for women isn't the issue in the proposed changes it does seem odd to me.

@jasoncran : I see what you mean, I think.

Blessings.
I posted that here to show how bad its gotten , traditional the army and other branches have based code on the puritian view of the world. that is why I said would you vote for a thug looking president. these changes also included piercings and gold teeth.

when we have women soldiers who look like men and have tats where have we gone. while the short hair cut for women isn't the issue in the proposed changes it does seem odd to me.
@jasoncran :

As well as tattoos, is there something about short haircuts for women? (You would know a lot more about latest proposed regulations than me.)

Blessings.

PS: Up here we don't get to vote for the Queen, or the Governor-General, for that matter, but I know what you're saying.

not off the top of my head. I would have too look at ar 670-1 to see what is allowed.
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]: Okay.

It would seem to me anyway that a lot of women in the military as well as men would expect to get tattoos (though possibly for covering at times). And it would seem to me that many women in the military would prefer to have short haircuts for their practicality.

(Two cents'.)

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back