Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is believing/faith a work ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Let us read those two verses In modern English:-

God accepted us because of our faith. (Galatians 2:16)

God accepted me simply because of my faith in Christ. (Philippians 3:9)

Faith means “complete trust.”

No, let's not use the new one, let's use correct one. I am familiar with the translations of those verses you've used, and in the case, Gal 2:16, I think that it is logically incorrect. By it, you are saying that one has to already have faith in Christ order to get belief in Christ, which would be nonsensical and therefore, not possible - the "of Christ" making it logically correct. Further, and as with Phl 3:9, Christ is used in the genitive possessive case with Christ grammatically being the owner of the faith - or "of Christ", not "in Christ".

[Gal 2:16 NKJV
16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

[Gal 2:16 KJV]
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I believe the grammatical case of "Christ" of Phl 3:9 verse is also in the subjective genitive case showing the ownership of the faith; that is, it is "of Christ", not "in Christ".

[Phl 3:9 NKJV]
9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;
[Phl 3:9 KJV]
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

If you believe that faith is of yourself, then your faith is in yourself, not in Christ, and it by not being of God's gift, is therefore by law.

These verses further confirm the interpretation I used as they are biblically saying essentially the same thing

[2Pe 1:1 KJV] 1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

[Gal 2:20 KJV] 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Parsing
I am crucified
g4957
V-RPI-1S
with Christ:
g5547

N-DSM
nevertheless
g1161
CONJ
I live;
PHRASE
V-PAI-1S
yet not
PHRASE
g3765
ADV
I,
g1473
P-1NS
but
g1161
CONJ
Christ
g5547
N-NSM
liveth
g2198
V-PAI-3S
in
g1722
PREP
me:
g1698
P-1DS
and
g1161
CONJ
the life which
PHRASE
g3739
R-ASN
I
g2198
V-PAI-1S
now
g3568
ADV
live
g2198
V-PAI-1S
in
g1722
PREP
the flesh
g4561
N-DSF
I live
g2198
V-PAI-1S
by
g1722
PREP
the faith
g4102
N-DSF
of the
g3588
T-GSM
Son
g5207
N-GSM
of God,
g2316
N-GSM
who
g3588
T-GSM
loved
g25
V-AAP-GSM
me,
g3165
P-1AS
and
g2532
CONJ
gave
g3860
V-2AAP-GSM
himself
g1438
F-3ASM
for
g5228
PREP
me.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Jesus performing miracles or doing other things that cause faith in God, is so hard to understand how our faith comes from him.
Can anyone here (seriously) tell me seeing (or hearing from whom you consider a reliable source.....relative, close friend. etc.), about someone like Jesus, wouldn't cause faith in some?
To me, this kind of thinking isn't beyond the mind capacity of your run of the mill human being. It's completely logical.

rogerg
If you believe that faith is of yourself, then your faith is in yourself, not in Christ, and it by not being of God's gift, is therefore by law.
If we believe that saving Faith is of ourselves, that's salvation by works. But if we realize that saving [converting faith] is not of ourselves, but rather from the Gift of Gods Grace, then its not of our works. Eph 2:8

No, let's not use the new one, let's use correct one. I am familiar with the translations of those verses you've used, and in the case, Gal 2:16, I think that it is logically incorrect. By it, you are saying that one has to already have faith in Christ order to get belief in Christ, which would be nonsensical and therefore, not possible - the "of Christ" making it logically correct. Further, and as with Phl 3:9, Christ is used in the genitive possessive case with Christ grammatically being the owner of the faith - or "of Christ", not "in Christ".

[Gal 2:16 NKJV
16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

[Gal 2:16 KJV]
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I believe the grammatical case of "Christ" of Phl 3:9 verse is also in the subjective genitive case showing the ownership of the faith; that is, it is "of Christ", not "in Christ".

[Phl 3:9 NKJV]
9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;
[Phl 3:9 KJV]
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

These verses further confirm the interpretation I used as they are biblically saying essentially the same thing

[2Pe 1:1 KJV] 1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

[Gal 2:20 KJV] 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Parsing
I am crucified
g4957
V-RPI-1S
with Christ:
g5547

N-DSM
nevertheless
g1161
CONJ
I live;
PHRASE
V-PAI-1S
yet not
PHRASE
g3765
ADV
I,
g1473
P-1NS
but
g1161
CONJ
Christ
g5547
N-NSM
liveth
g2198
V-PAI-3S
in
g1722
PREP
me:
g1698
P-1DS
and
g1161
CONJ
the life which
PHRASE
g3739
R-ASN
I
g2198
V-PAI-1S
now
g3568
ADV
live
g2198
V-PAI-1S
in
g1722
PREP
the flesh
g4561
N-DSF
I live
g2198
V-PAI-1S
by
g1722
PREP
the faith
g4102
N-DSF
of the
g3588
T-GSM
Son
g5207
N-GSM
of God,
g2316
N-GSM
who
g3588
T-GSM
loved
g25
V-AAP-GSM
me,
g3165
P-1AS
and
g2532
CONJ
gave
g3860
V-2AAP-GSM
himself
g1438
F-3ASM
for
g5228
PREP
me.
God has done it all, but has He done the work in you, and have you asked him to, because He does the work in you via your faith in Him.

God has done it all, but has He done the work in you, and have you asked him to, because He does the work in you via your faith in Him.
Not to be rude, but I don't follow your point. You said He's done it all, so if He has, then there is nothing
left to be done because it's all been done, right?

Not to be rude, but I don't follow your point. You said He's done it all, so if He has, then there is nothing
left to be done because it's all been done, right?
We need to put our faith in the surgeon and allow Him to do the work in us.

Back