Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is believing/faith a work ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Paul says they do - Galatians 5:17.

This is the plain verse you keep evading and twisting to serve your 'sinless perfection' belief.
You are misinterpreting it.
I have no need to resuscitate the life of the now destroyed "flesh", so I see 1 Gal 5:17 from the perspective of Gal 5:16.
Walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfil the lusts of the "flesh".

What 'fruit' are we to confess to one another and pray about so we may be healed? James 5:16
The nonSpiritual must confess their sins if sin is what is causing their illness.
As it is written..."If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)
Normally, water baptism follows repentance of sins.
I like how James finishes James 5..."Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins."

Why do you (and others) make statements like "Many today who call themselves Christians are not"? Who are you to judge and condemn those whom Jesus has called to Himself. Be very careful; you may be judged by the Lord for your bad attitude.
Do you feel that everyone who calls himself a Christian really is one?

No, you were justified (made righteous) when you believed, just as that happened for Abraham in Genesis 15:6.

You showed yourself to be righteous through faith when you obeyed God, just as Abraham did in Genesis 22:12.
The difference was a matter of minutes for me, thanks be to God, as those who brought me to conversion water baptized me in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, (Acts 2:38), right away.
Until my sins were washed away, I was not righteous.

Can anyone explain why the things our Savior by his Spirit, which caused people to believe, isn't "faith by the working of the Spirit?"
Is it that Calvanists believe we needed a work of the Spirit other than that to cause faith?

Can anyone explain why the things our Savior by his Spirit, which caused people to believe, isn't "faith by the working of the Spirit?"
Is it that Calvanists believe we needed a work of the Spirit other than that to cause faith?

Can any Calvanist explain it?
Explain it … there are so many phrases strung together, I cannot even understand the question. :shrug
Could you please rephrase that question using more, but shorter, sentences to express yourself? Then, if I can understand the question, I will take a shot at offering an answer.

Can you give an example of one of those things?
Frankly speaking, everything He did to get me to believe He did while in the flesh and bones.
So what Spiritual things do you refer to?
(I am not a Calvinist)

Explain it … there are so many phrases strung together, I cannot even understand the question. :shrug
Could you please rephrase that question using more, but shorter, sentences to express yourself? Then, if I can understand the question, I will take a shot at offering an answer.
Sorry for wording it poorly,

Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. Jn.9:32

Do you think anyone believed in Jesus because of this feat?

Can you give an example of one of those things?
Frankly speaking, everything He did to get me to believe He did while in the flesh and bones.
So what Spiritual things do you refer to?

(I am not a Calvinist)
I believe fortelling the future would be a reason,

his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said. Jn.2:2

It doesn't matter, if you condition any part of salvation on what you do, it's works and unacceptable to God.
Now that is what you need to prove to yourself when you read:

Ephesians1:13, Gal 2:16, Mark 1:14-15 (especially when you believe to believe is a work of righteousness)

And don't forget what scripture says in Titus 3:5
not by "works of righteousness "

And I'll leave you with this scripture:

Hebrews 11:16 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him".

Now you said this:
it's works and unacceptable to God.
But scripture says different, it says you can't please God without it.

And sense we know scripture does not contradict itself then we know faith is not a work of righteousness.

Last edited:
Now that is what you need to prove to yourself when you read:

Ephesians1:13, Gal 2:16, Mark 1:14-15 (especially when you believe to believe is a work of righteousness)

Hebrews 11:16 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him".

Now you said this:

And sense we know scripture does not contradict itself then we know faith is not a work of righteousness.
I don't need to prove anything to myself.I know Salvation is conditioned all on Jesus Christ.

That is God's prerogative to give to you. It's a Gift of His Sovereign Grace. He has Chosen a people in Christ before the foundation of the world to bestow it upon Eph 1:4
This does not resemble Paul's answer to the jailer in Acts 16:30-31. Why not?

30Then he brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved...

Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. Jn.9:32

Do you think anyone believed in Jesus because of this feat?
I believe that the Miracles of Jesus are/were sufficient for any HONEST person to conclude (mental accent) that Jesus' ministry was from God. [The Pharisees that saw and still refused to believe betrayed that they had some other "motivated self interest" to reject Jesus other than the evidence.] While believing that Jesus is "of God" is a good start, I suspect (you were asking for personal opinions, I believe) that it is short of "salvation" in and of itself. Muslims believe that God sent Jesus, but fall short of the trust in Christ that makes them children of God.

Reading on in John 9 ... the Blind Man KNEW that God had healed him and that healing had come through Jesus, thus Jesus was a "good man". That prepared him for the next encounter where Jesus affirms his MESSIAHSHIP and DEITY through the "Son of Man" references and its OT roots. The formerly blind man accepts Jesus as LORD and the Pharisees with him reject Jesus. Clearly seeing miracles is not enough all by itself ... it's that heart thing, again.

[That was my best - Particular Baptist - answer to the question as I understood it.]

I don't need to prove anything to myself.
If you don't want to answer to the truth, you sure don't.

For answering to the truth means you must deal with scripture that is opposed to your doctrine.

As what has already been written:

Now you said this:

it's works and unacceptable to God.

I know Salvation is conditioned all on Jesus Christ.
Then do nothing and see If you ever experience God's promises.

You will never know if it is you that are part of your doctrine of the scriptural elect.

As one man said and it seems to be your story in my opinion too:
"You constructed a complex and unassailable system of doctrine that is denying you your birthright."

Back