Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is the holy Spirit the Spirit of Christ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
researcher said:
I believe that we are talking about two different things. There is Jesus the man who was the flesh body, and, the Spirit that was inside of him, which would be the Spirit of Christ.

A person can say something with his mind from his own understanding, and, it will be coming from him/herself. Now if the Spirit (or a spirit) speaks through a person, it is not the man/woman speaking, it is the Spirit or spirit speaking through them.

Jesus, who was the flesh body, would be the Son in my understanding, while, the Spirit of Christ, would be the holy Spirit, i.e., the Spirit that is holy.

It would have been the Spirit speaking through Jesus the man (the son) (Joh 6:63, Joh 14:10) when he said:

Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Joh 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Joh 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
Joh 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Who will be in you? Christ's Spirit (obviously not Jesus in the flesh).

Also see:

Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

1Pe 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

The Holy Spirit would be the spirit of prophecy (which is what the prophets prophesied by), i.e., the Spirit of Christ (1Pe 1:11).
You are correct, Researcher. I don't think you have a 21st century mind at all. ;) You have the mind of Christ because you are filled with His Spirit. We know the Holy Spirit descended on Christ as a dove...we receive Him when we're born again. We don't learn spiritual things with our mind, but they are imparted to our understanding by the Spirit of God.

To claim a believer can be deceived by reading the Word of God because of man's translations is simply denying the power of God to feed His children

What do you think about the Watchtower translation....

The new world translation is what the jw uses, and you can believer or not be lead to the cross through that bible even though the tract society has tried to claim that supports their doctrine, it doesnt.

i used to be a jw. I dont reccomend that as a good translation as it has many errs in it, but the overall redemptive thread on the cross is still there.

jasoncran said:
The new world translation is what the jw uses, and you can believer or not be lead to the cross through that bible even though the tract society has tried to claim that supports their doctrine, it doesnt.

i used to be a jw. I dont reccomend that as a good translation as it has many errs in it, but the overall redemptive thread on the cross is still there.

It's interesting...When I was a brand new believer, some JW's came around and, knowing no better, I listened to them. When they read John 1 from their Bible it said, Jesus is a God. I didn't literally hear a loud clanging bell go off in my head, but the Spirit within stopped me short. I knew it was error. I sent them on their way and got out my Bible. I hadn't read it before, but there it was as clear as day. Jesus is not A God. He is God.

I'll trust the Holy Spirit every single time to show us error wherever we find it. Would I choose that translation...no. My KJV serves me quite well. Even then, I look to other translations on hell and such because the KJ doesn't differentiate between Hades from Sheol the way it should. The Holy Spirit has led me to look further, in some cases, for a deeper understanding. We need only follow His leading, and we'll do fine.

One of the errors, that they have in the translation. I have used their own bible to condemn the doctrine they preach. I shall acquire one and do what i did with the thread on the jw's view with the command ye must needs be born again. btw they(jw) used to use the kjv as the bible before the nwt came out.

jasoncran said:
One of the errors, that they have in the translation. I have used their own bible to condemn the doctrine they preach. I shall acquire one and do what i did with the thread on the jw's view with the command ye must needs be born again. btw they(jw) used to use the kjv as the bible before the nwt came out.

Periodically they come around and I witness to them.
That would be good to see where they error...in case you do a thread on it, that is.

i have already done one in the christianity and other religons forum. I will start up one on their view on the miracles and healing. They dont believe that the lord heals in this day and age.

researcher said:
I forget if I asked this before, so I'll put it up.

Is the holy Spirit the Spirit of Christ?

1Pe 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

2Pe 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but men spake from God, being moved by the Holy Spirit.

Peter equates the holy Spirit and the Spirit of Christ as the same thing that the prophets prophesied from.

That would make the trinity:
Father
Son (the flesh and blood person (Jesus))
Holy Spirit (the Spirit of Christ (which existed before Jesus the man))

Is that right??
We are also called to be (one) with the Father in the body of Christ. How do we know that all of the people in the kingdom of heaven are not of the same essence? Maybe that is what makes them immortal.

jasoncran said:
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43589
one such thread on the jw's. please read the link that i provided and then comment.

Yeah, that was something. We see the same elitist thinking most cults have, along with the subtle manipulation of the Word. It's funny how doctrine can be formed on the twisting of the truth, isn't it?

That was interesting...thanks for sharing.

Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

how can there be a seperation being made here. Here THIS is true IF the Spirit of Christ is in your- BUT- THAT is true IF the Spirit that raised him from the dead is in you. :wave

Regarding the original question...

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ.
The Holy Spirit is also the Spirit of the Father
The Holy Spirit is also a unique member of the Godhead.

The 3 are one - that is why different verses use "Spirit of Christ" or just "Spirit" interchangeably. When the Spirit is in you - the fullness of the Godhead is in you - all Three in One. Wherever the Father is - there are the Son and the Spirit. Wherever the Spirit is - there are the Father and the Son. They can't be separated.

"For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ..." Colossians 2:9 We are filled with the fulness of the Deity as Christ was - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit together.

With that said, the Bible also contains verses describing their uniqueness from each other - for this is also an important aspect of God. We see that Jesus sends the Spirit (John 16:7) (anyone that doesn't believe Jesus is God must ask how a man can be in authority over God's Spirit) We also see that the Spirit will only speak what He hears (John 16:13). This shows more distinction amongst the Godhead - that the members speak with each other.

In conclusion, some verses show the Spirit is unique - some show the Spirit is part of the whole. I think this is the case in order to give us a balanced view of an incredible, mind-boggling truth.

Aaron the Tall said:
Regarding the original question...

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ.
The Holy Spirit is also the Spirit of the Father
The Holy Spirit is also a unique member of the Godhead.

The 3 are one - that is why different verses use "Spirit of Christ" or just "Spirit" interchangeably. When the Spirit is in you - the fullness of the Godhead is in you - all Three in One. Wherever the Father is - there are the Son and the Spirit. Wherever the Spirit is - there are the Father and the Son. They can't be separated.

"For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ..." Colossians 2:9 We are filled with the fulness of the Deity as Christ was - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit together.

With that said, the Bible also contains verses describing their uniqueness from each other - for this is also an important aspect of God. We see that Jesus sends the Spirit (John 16:7) (anyone that doesn't believe Jesus is God must ask how a man can be in authority over God's Spirit) We also see that the Spirit will only speak what He hears (John 16:13). This shows more distinction amongst the Godhead - that the members speak with each other.

In conclusion, some verses show the Spirit is unique - some show the Spirit is part of the whole. I think this is the case in order to give us a balanced view of an incredible, mind-boggling truth.

LOL Now isn't that about the size of it....mind-boggling. :amen

We see that Jesus sends the Spirit (John 16:7) (anyone that doesn't believe Jesus is God must ask how a man can be in authority over God's Spirit)

Hi Aaron,

The answer to this is of course simple and laid out throughout the Gospel of John. God has given Jesus ALL ("all" means "all") authority in heaven and on earth. Jesus' sending of the Spirit is done In the same way that Jesus can forgive sins and receive worship - and in the same way that He gave his apostles authority to forgive sins and his church to be worshipped....

Once you understand the nature of Jesus position - you will be comfortable with the Biblical teaching that Jesus was a genuine man just like you and I and yet had the authority of God - because this authority was given to Him as He pleased God.

Best,
Anth

researcher said:
......Is the holy Spirit the Spirit of Christ?......

The Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity.

Although, in the most popular version of the Nicene Creed, it is said that the Holy Spirit "proceeds from the Father and the Son". This can be easily misunderstood though.

Jesus was the son of God, not the son of Joseph. He has the authority as he is part of the trinity. The father gave it to him, yet he is equal with the father.

Anth said:
We see that Jesus sends the Spirit (John 16:7) (anyone that doesn't believe Jesus is God must ask how a man can be in authority over God's Spirit)

Hi Aaron,

The answer to this is of course simple and laid out throughout the Gospel of John. God has given Jesus ALL ("all" means "all") authority in heaven and on earth. Jesus' sending of the Spirit is done In the same way that Jesus can forgive sins and receive worship - and in the same way that He gave his apostles authority to forgive sins and his church to be worshipped....

Once you understand the nature of Jesus position - you will be comfortable with the Biblical teaching that Jesus was a genuine man just like you and I and yet had the authority of God - because this authority was given to Him as He pleased God.

Best,
Anth

The church is not to be worshipped.

He has the authority as he is part of the trinity.

Jason - He has authority strictly because God gave it to Him. Jesus Himself states this several times in Jn - throughout Chs 5,6, etc., but it is seen throughout scripture. Jesus had no authority inherent in Himself (He says so - "by myself I can do NOTHING!") - all His authority is derived.

Anth

The church is not to be worshipped.

Glory -

I know old teachings/traditions die hard but Rev 3:9 says otherwise - the word is proskunew - and it is the same word as used elsewhere through scripture. As for me, I will stick with Jesus and receive worship when it is given.

Best
Anth

King James Version
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

American Standard Version
Behold, I give of the synagogue of Satan, of them that say they are Jews, and they are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back