Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is the holy Spirit the Spirit of Christ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Anth said:
He has the authority as he is part of the trinity.

Jason - He has authority strictly because God gave it to Him. Jesus Himself states this several times in Jn - throughout Chs 5,6, etc., but it is seen throughout scripture. Jesus had no authority inherent in Himself (He says so - "by myself I can do NOTHING!") - all His authority is derived.

Anth
Christ laid aside his crown that He may conquer the sting of death for us suffering as we do.

If one is equal with the father and thought it not robbery to call himself such then he has that authority to laid it aside. He was told to go and be put to death on the cross. Who sent him, the father? Who gave it to him, the father, The trinity is a mystery as yet is true. Jesus was far more than a man. He had to rely on father to do the miracles. and by surrending his crown he become like a mere men. Yet did he not say if I lay down my life yet will i pick it up again. A mortal man cant make that promise.

Once you understand the nature of Jesus position - you will be comfortable with the Biblical teaching that Jesus was a genuine man just like you and I and yet had the authority of God - because this authority was given to Him as He pleased God.

Take heed here, notice the way this is worded. :o

Anth said:
The church is not to be worshipped.

Glory -

I know old teachings/traditions die hard but Rev 3:9 says otherwise - the word is proskunew - and it is the same word as used elsewhere through scripture. As for me, I will stick with Jesus and receive worship when it is given.

Best
Anth

King James Version
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

American Standard Version
Behold, I give of the synagogue of Satan, of them that say they are Jews, and they are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

It would be best if you allow the Holy Spirit to interpret the meaning then, because you haven't.

Yet did he not say if I lay down my life yet will i pick it up again. A mortal man cant make that promise

Jason,

The mortal man that has been given authority and the related power to do so IS able to make this promise. Jesus made it - and did so - via the power of the Holy Spirit given to Him by the Father.

This is no different than the mortal man raising the dead, forgiving sin and receiving worship - all of which are able to do as we have been given the authority.

Best,
Anth

Jesus was mortal man :o. How and where did you get that? Was he born of adam. or of God? If adam then the bible was a lie. Reread the Gospels and answer Who impregnated Mary?

Jesus was mortal man . How and where did you get that? Was he born of adam. or of God? If adam then the bible was a lie. Reread the Gospels and answer Who impregnated Mary?

Jason

This one is pretty simple

a. ITim2:5, ICor15:20,21, Heb 2:1ff - Jesus had to be EXACTLY like us in ontology - a human person with a human will/soul, etc. He managed to live without sin - don't ask me how because I don't have a clue - I stand amazed and worship Him.

b. Born of Adam - Yup go read the genalogies in those gospels.

BTW - the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary - the same way God made the first mortal man Adam and Eve - supernaturally....

Best,
Anth

The near kinsmen is why that lineage is for, and that line passes through mary. The impregnation by the Holy Spirit allows the that fact the he is both equally God and man. The term theologians use is hyperstatic union. He cant be of adam and eve, all man an no God as he would no power over sin, and Satan could overcome him not the other way around.

Google Pastor Adrain Rogers/Love Worth Finding and look for his messages on who was Jesus. He explains this quite well.

Anth said:
Jesus was mortal man . How and where did you get that? Was he born of adam. or of God? If adam then the bible was a lie. Reread the Gospels and answer Who impregnated Mary?

Jason

This one is pretty simple

a. ITim2:5, ICor15:20,21, Heb 2:1ff - Jesus had to be EXACTLY like us in ontology - a human person with a human will/soul, etc. He managed to live without sin - don't ask me how because I don't have a clue - I stand amazed and worship Him.

b. Born of Adam - Yup go read the genalogies in those gospels.

BTW - the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary - the same way God made the first mortal man Adam and Eve - supernaturally....

Best,
Anth
Jesus was not born into sin because the Holy Spirit was the "seed", not the seed of a man. We are born into sin because we are from the seed of a man.

We are born into sin because we are from the seed of a man.

I would take issue with this - however, it is not the subject of the thread so I won't pursue here.

Nevertheless - however it happens, we have ALL sinned (among whom I am chief...).

Anth said:
We are born into sin because we are from the seed of a man.

I would take issue with this - however, it is not the subject of the thread so I won't pursue here.

Nevertheless - however it happens, we have ALL sinned (among whom I am chief...).

i'm not sure what you mean by taking issue with it, maybe you could start a new thread so we can understand what you are saying :shrug but I agree, we have all sinned. :)

samuel said:
Once you understand the nature of Jesus position - you will be comfortable with the Biblical teaching that Jesus was a genuine man just like you and I and yet had the authority of God - because this authority was given to Him as He pleased God.

Take heed here, notice the way this is worded. :o

Yes, the great I AM...I'm sure glad He had the authority to come down and die for us.
John 1:14 said:
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Lived as the perfect man among us.

Then was straightway returned to glory.
John 13:32 said:
If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
Oh, did I mention He created all things....was before all things, and by him all things consist?
Col. 1:14-18 said:
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

It amazes me that even after 2000 yrs after the question that Jesus asked the disciples. Whom do men say that I am, and the Whom do you say that I am. Peter then stood up and said the Thou art the Christ.

It is really sad that some are not being taught by the Spirit. The chruch of today is in trouble if the members fail to see the most basic milk of the bible.

Anth said:
Yet did he not say if I lay down my life yet will i pick it up again. A mortal man cant make that promise

Jason,

The mortal man that has been given authority and the related power to do so IS able to make this promise. Jesus made it - and did so - via the power of the Holy Spirit given to Him by the Father.

This is no different than the mortal man raising the dead, forgiving sin and receiving worship - all of which are able to do as we have been given the authority.

Best,
Anth

You do realize Jesus is God come in the flesh, don't you? While on earth, He willingly set aside His divine nature, but then his job was "finished" and He rose to the throne once again. BTW, since none of us are perfect, as Jesus was, you can hardly say we can accomplish what He did. There's a little matter of perfect obedience and a sinless life...else why not just find a perfect man to do the job? Jesus was worshipped because people realized He was God come in the flesh. We aren't gods and we are not to be worshipped.

Anth said:

Jason,

Best,
Anth

Raised any dead guys lately? :biglaugh

jasoncran said:
It amazes me that even after 2000 yrs after the question that Jesus asked the disciples. Whom do men say that I am, and the Whom do you say that I am. Peter then stood up and said the Thou art the Christ.

It is really sad that some are not being taught by the Spirit. The chruch of today is in trouble if the members fail to see the most basic milk of the bible.
Do you know this song? "How Many Kings?" Awesome!!
How many kings step down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
And how many gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that is torn all apart
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?

All for me...
All for you...

i'm not sure what you mean by taking issue with it,

Darcy - Without going further - the original sin concept is a pre-medieval bit of theology that crept into the institutionalized church - there is no meaningful Biblical basis. However, I don't have time to pursue this (I am already spending to much time at my worst addiction - blogging... :mad )

Best,
Anth

glorydaz said:
Anth said:

Jason,

Best,
Anth

Raised any dead guys lately? :biglaugh
we'll be needing to raise you back from the dead after Anth gets a hold of you. :rolling

Anth said:
i'm not sure what you mean by taking issue with it,

Darcy - Without going further - the original sin concept is a pre-medieval bit of theology that crept into the institutionalized church - there is no meaningful Biblical basis. However, I don't have time to pursue this (I am already spending to much time at my worst addiction - blogging... :mad )

Best,
Anth

Ok, it was just a suggestion, i hope that mad guy isn't directed at me, didn't mean to upset you.

Glory,

If you are genuinely interested in digging into this - meaning genuinly open to changing your mind - I would spend the time to do it. However, most prefer their "old corn" - their traditions so I don't waste time on the subject.

However, two easy points

1. Ego Eimi is NOT a reference to Jehovah (you will need to read the Septuagint - the source for most of the NT's OT references in Ex 3:14) but you can simply read Jn9:9 - and that will solve your dilemma...

2. Col 1 - Creatorship - again, you are using a false translation (Try the ASV1901). Please review the Greek and again your dilemma will be solved. At no point does is there a didactic text that states that Jesus was the causal agent for the creation (that is, Jesus did not create anything - His Father did - in reference to Jesus).

Best,
Anth

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back