Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Is vegetarianism or veganism against Christianity?

You don't call it a sin only because it's offensive to you, as it is to most people, that's why sin is rarely preached from the pulpit. Feel free to enjoy the licentiousness which you mistake as "liberty in Christ", your own body will give you an honest response to such diet over time, for the wages of sin is death, not suddenly, but gradually - then suddenly.
Implying that it is a sin for someone to eat something that for you is a sin, is legalism. It could be you are weak in faith, but you are not to pass judgement on others by what they eat.

Rom 14:1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.
Rom 14:2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables.
Rom 14:3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him.
Rom 14:14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.
Rom 14:20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. (ESV)

Implying that it is a sin for someone to eat something that for you is a sin, is legalism. It could be you are weak in faith, but you are not to pass judgement on others by what they eat.
I pass warning and concern, not judgement. God passes judgement in regard of unhealthy eating. Obesity is a legitimate concern that has even affected national security, since too many young people are considered "too fat to fight." Paul's point in Rom. 14 is a denouncement of identity politics built around diet, not the merit in one diet or lack thereof in another diet, consumption of certain food or abstinence from certain food doesn't make you unqiue from anybody else, it's just customes. Also, this passage is Paul's response to a certain conflict within the Roman church, it sets an example for future generations to settle similar conflicts, there's no need to be so dogmatic about it.

Last edited:
It's called junk food for a reason because it's junk and unhealthy. Some you cannot even call food they should have toxic not fit for human conspumption labels on them.

Last edited:
I pass warning and concern, not judgement. God passes judgement in regard of unhealthy eating.
This--'Feel free to enjoy the licentiousness which you mistake as "liberty in Christ"'--is judgement.

Obesity is a legitimate concern
Of course it is. Do you also pass judgement on those who don't exercise? Do you exercise? Do you know that VO2 max and grip strength are very strong predictors of all-cause mortality and healthspan?

Paul's point in Rom. 14 is a denouncement of identity politics built around diet, not the merit in one diet or lack thereof in another diet, consumption of certain food or abstinence from certain food doesn't make you unqiue from anybody else, it's just customes.
Rom 14:1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.
Rom 14:2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. (ESV)

Sounds like "identity politics" to me--those who are weak in faith vs. those who are not. Of course, it has nothing to do with identity politics (not quite sure what your fascination is with that phrase), but rather not judging someone for what they do or don't eat or drink (or what day they do or don't observe) and abstaining when necessary so as not to destroy another's faith.

Also, this passage is Paul's response to a certain conflict within the Roman church, it sets an example for future generations to settle similar conflicts, there's no need to be so dogmatic about it.
Exactly. It means we are never to judge someone else for what they do or don't eat. Let them eat what they want; they answer to God.

This--'Feel free to enjoy the licentiousness which you mistake as "liberty in Christ"'--is judgement.
That's the reality we're experiencing, the dominant state of mind in the Laodicean church. God passed that judgement, I just conveyed it.
Of course it is. Do you also pass judgement on those who don't exercise? Do you exercise? Do you know that VO2 max and grip strength are very strong predictors of all-cause mortality and healthspan?
Again, God is the judge of all. Within Christian circle, some believe body is the temple of the spirit, some believe it's merely a vessel, others a prison, and that will be reflected in how they handle their own body through exercise - or lack thereof.
Sounds like "identity politics" to me--those who are weak in faith vs. those who are not. Of course, it has nothing to do with identity politics (not quite sure what your fascination is with that phrase),
Because you've been pushing it while denying it. You insist that the kosher diet law separates Israel from the Canaanites as a unique identity group, I simply view it as a food safety regulation which is far advanced of its time. Drain the blood, trim the fat and ditch the offal are now all common practice in meat prepararion and packing.
Exactly. It means we are never to judge someone else for what they do or don't eat. Let them eat what they want; they answer to God.
Then why did Paul teach that not all are beneficial (1 Cor. 6:12-13), some food are offered to idols (1 Cor. 8:1-4), and don't partake in such foods with idolators (1 Cor. 10:20-21)? Doesn't sound like "eat whatever you want" to me.

Last edited:
I pass warning and concern, not judgement. God passes judgement in regard of unhealthy eating. Obesity is a legitimate concern that has even affected national security, since too many young people are considered "too fat to fight." Paul's point in Rom. 14 is a denouncement of identity politics built around diet, not the merit in one diet or lack thereof in another diet, consumption of certain food or abstinence from certain food doesn't make you unqiue from anybody else, it's just customes. Also, this passage is Paul's response to a certain conflict within the Roman church, it sets an example for future generations to settle similar conflicts, there's no need to be so dogmatic about it.
I personally know a few who don't eat junk food and are overweight. ..

Also military rations are ultra processed .
Military food in the chow all ain't much better .there's veterans joke on how the army set you up for obesity .

It's not far from the truth .

C rations had a life of decades as does mres.

I remember seeing m and m from 92 still in service inside the mre issued to me and other back in the early oughties

Yet some Christians believe he sinned when he worked (healed) on the sabbath day. They also believe he sinned when he Proclaimed all animals clean, even though scripture said he knew NO sin
I cannot agree that any Christians would accuse the Lord, who was the PERFECT LAMB of God, of sinning.
By accusing their own Redeemer, they imply that their Redeemer is unqualified to redeem.

I personally know a few who don't eat junk food and are overweight. ..

Also military rations are ultra processed .
Military food in the chow all ain't much better .there's veterans joke on how the army set you up for obesity .

It's not far from the truth .

C rations had a life of decades as does mres.

I remember seeing m and m from 92 still in service inside the mre issued to me and other back in the early oughties
Of course it's not just junk food, there're other contributors such as low quality/quantity sleep, disordered eating - of any food, sedentary lifestyle and endocrine disruption. Some people, especially middle aged women in menopause and perimenopause, report weight gain even though there's no dramatic chage in their diet or exercise. Weight is not constant, it natually flactuates as the result of hormonal ebb and flow, and it's not the sole indicator of health.

That's the reality we're experiencing, the dominant state of mind in the Laodicean church. God passed that judgement, I just conveyed it.
Where does God say anything about licentiousness regarding food? You stated, "Feel free to enjoy the licentiousness which you mistake as "liberty in Christ".' You were implying that it is a sin for someone to eat something that you consider a sin to eat. In other words, you went directly against what Paul states in Romans 14, which means your judgement is not from God, it's from you.

Again, God is the judge of all.
Then let him judge and stick to what the Bible says regarding food and drink.

Because you've been pushing it while denying it.
Pushing what, identity politics? You don't seem to understand that the Bible very much makes distinctions, very important distinctions, between false teachers and true teachers, false prophets and true prophets, those who believe a false gospel and those who believe the true gospel, those who are in the faith, those who are outside the faith, those who are weak in faith and those who are strong in faith.

You insist that the kosher diet law separates Israel from the Canaanites as a unique identity group, I simply view it as a food safety regulation which is far advanced of its time.
It was to separate the people of Israel from the Canaanites as a unique identity group--the one and only chosen people of God.

Drain the blood, trim the fat and ditch the offal are now all common practice in meat prepararion and packing.
Act 15:19 Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God,
Act 15:20 but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood. (ESV)

Then why did Paul teach that not all are beneficial (1 Cor. 6:12-13),
This is descriptive, not prescriptive. It's about the believer using wisdom and sound judgement.

some food are offered to idols (1 Cor. 8:1-4),
You're moving the goalposts. We're talking about what is the nature and nutrition of food, not whether or not it has been offered to an idol. Also, don't take things out of context:

1Co 8:8 Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do.
1Co 8:9 But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
1Co 8:10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols?
1Co 8:11 And so by your knowledge this weak person is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died.
1Co 8:12 Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
1Co 8:13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. (ESV)

It's essentially the same overall message of Romans 14.

and don't partake in such foods with idolators (1 Cor. 10:20-21)? Doesn't sound like "eat whatever you want" to me.
Again, you're moving the goalposts. This is not a context we are discussion.

I just eat food like meat that gives protein, iron, zinc, vitamins like B12 and essential fatty acids. Fish is also good. Also fruit that has things like potassium, fiber, vitamin C, and folate. Anything my body doesn't need or want I can just poop it out.

I eat lots of meat and some fruit. Why do people care so much what I eat. I'm having a fat juicy steak for dinner tonight, then I will eat a piece of fruit. Is that acceptable.

Last edited:
Where does God say anything about licentiousness regarding food?
"Do not desire his delicacies, For they are deceptive food." (Prov. 23:3)
Have you found honey? Eat only as much as you need, Lest you be filled with it and vomit. (Prov. 25:16)
Do not mix with winebibbers, Or with gluttonous eaters of meat; (Prov. 23:20)

But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. Now God had brought Daniel into the favor and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs. And the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, “I fear my lord the king, who has appointed your food and drink. For why should he see your faces looking worse than the young men who are your age? Then you would endanger my head before the king.”

So Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, “Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our appearance be examined before you, and the appearance of the young men who eat the portion of the king’s delicacies; and as you see fit, so deal with your servants.” So he consented with them in this matter, and tested them ten days.

And at the end of ten days their features appeared better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the king’s delicacies. Thus the steward took away their portion of delicacies and the wine that they were to drink, and gave them vegetables. (Dan. 1:8-16)

Back