Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Is Yahweh and Allah one?

Muslims reject Jesus's sonship. The Christ they believe in as a mere prophet is not the Christ that came to earth, suffered, died and rose again. That is a significant difference.

I think this matter may be more complicated than both sides have admitted so far.
They also accept his virginal birth, that he was lifted up to heaven in his body (unlike other prophets, including Mohammed, who died normally) and the fact that he is the Messiah.

The matter is very complicated, I completely agree. That is why I think we need to entrust ourselves to God and accept it as one of His Mysteries. I personally have no claim over the Truth, that is only God's alone.

My position is to lay out certain facts and create a counter-balance to an otherwise more or less one-sided discussion. Which is nothing to say about the people that have opposing opinions. I am not in a position to tell anyone what they should believe, and at the end of the day I respect the decisions anyone makes, but I also think that it is crucial we first try to look at all the facts, examine both sides of the coin, and if necessary concede that it is beyond our understanding, instead of making quick judgement calls.

I truly believe it is possible that Allah and Yahweh are one and the same. Can I claim they are one with 100% certainty? No. And if you ask me how it even would be possible, then I have to step back and say: I don't have an answer for that, because there is no such answer in the realm of human logic. We are talking about God, our Omnipotent Creator who is beyond our wildest fantasies. How can we even dare to second-guess Him? With God, all things are possible, even if we cannot wrap them around our heads.

They also accept his virginal birth, that he was lifted up to heaven in his body (unlike other prophets, including Mohammed, who died normally) and the fact that he is the Messiah.

The matter is very complicated, I completely agree. That is why I think we need to entrust ourselves to God and accept it as one of His Mysteries. I personally have no claim over the Truth, that is only God's alone.

My position is to lay out certain facts and create a counter-balance to an otherwise more or less one-sided discussion. Which is nothing to say about the people that have opposing opinions. I am not in a position to tell anyone what they should believe, and at the end of the day I respect the decisions anyone makes, but I also think that it is crucial we first try to look at all the facts, examine both sides of the coin, and if necessary concede that it is beyond our understanding, instead of making quick judgement calls.

I truly believe it is possible that Allah and Yahweh are one and the same. Can I claim they are one with 100% certainty? No. And if you ask me how it even would be possible, then I have to step back and say: I don't have an answer for that, because there is no such answer in the realm of human logic. We are talking about God, our Omnipotent Creator who is beyond our wildest fantasies. How can we even dare to second-guess Him? With God, all things are possible, even if we cannot wrap them around our heads.

The totality of God is certainly unfathomable. However, this isn't to say that God has not revealed His true nature through the Covenants, the prophets, and Jesus Christ.

The Qur'an is a complete denial of the Trinity, of Christ's divinity, and of Jesus' atoning sacrifice (Messiah).
According to the Qur'an, Allah is not a father, nor does he have a son; Allah is not a spirit; Jesus was neither crucified, nor rose from the dead.

Though the Jews may reject Jesus as the promised Messiah, they still believe that God is a father & a spirit. As for the "sonship" of God, the Jews accused Jesus of blasphemy for referring to Himself as the "Son of Man" (a direct reference to Daniel).

The attributes of the god of the Qur'an are diametrically opposed to the attributes of the God of the Bible.
The nature of Allah (and Muhammad, for that matter) are antithetical to the true nature of God. If we believe that Muhammad & the apologists of Islam preach a false gospel that is not inspired by God, then nothing the Qur'an testifies about God is true, regardless of what truths may be reaffirmed (i.e. virgin birth, ascension).

This is a question that has begged answer for me. There are many superfluous parallels between the two. I have picked up the Koran to find the character of Allah and there are many good things said in it. I think I found my answer.

3 short reasons they are not the same

1. The God of the Bible exists. The "god" of islam doesnt (isaiah 44:6)
2. The God of the Bible is triune. The "god" of islam is unitarian (1 john 5:7)
3. The God of the Bible begets (John 3:16). The "god" of islam doesnt (surah 112:3)

Fedusenko

Allah is a term that means “the God”. It is a reference to the Supreme Being. To the Muslims, it is the highest name for God. There are other names for God that are descriptive of certain attributes of God. Allah is the term that includes all other names.

If Yahweh or Jehovah is simply a local god of the Hebrews, then surely that god is not Allah. But if Yahweh or Jehovah is a name that refers to the Supreme Being, then Yahweh or Jehovah and Allah are referring to the same God. The term Allah is used by Christians in the Mid-Eastern region to refer to the same God they believe in.

Yahweh or Jehovah is a translation of what is called the tetragrammaton, four Hebrew letters that refers to the highest name of God. It means simply “the self-existent one”. To the Muslims, Allah is that self-existing God.

The God by any other name is still the God.

Muslims and Christians believe in the same God. They have different points of view as to the idea that God is a Trinity. So far as I know, it is the only disagreement between the two religions regarding the nature and attributes of God. They disagree as to the nature and purpose of Jesus Christ. Note that these are the same areas of disagreement between Judaism and Christianity. To say that they are not references to the same God is to say that neither modern Judaism nor the Old Testament Judaism believes in the same God as Christianity, and is a practical rejection of the Old Testament as having any real meaning to the Christian.

Thought I’d get my two cents in before this thread is moved to a different part of the forum.

FC

Every religion has its supreme being. According to Torah my God made it very clear to Moses in the book of Exodus 3:15 what His appellation will be. So it makes it hard to argue otherwise.

That tetragrammaton is not a simple reference it is His proper noun and that proper noun is His appellation forever. Its not something which came from the imaginations of men, it came straight from יחרח Himself.

But you are for the most part right in that it has meaning too. The Hebrew word 'ehyeh' is a verb or a state of being and there are three forms or variations of that word. *These three forms of the verb 'ehyeh' make up the very name and meaning of God. They are; hayah (I was), hovah (I am) *and ehyeh (I will be). Put it all together and you get He who was, He who is and He who is to come. Each form of that verb forms the meaning and is a part of Yehovah's proper noun.

"where so ever I cause my name to be pronounced there I shall enter in and bless thee."

Last edited by a moderator:
Every religion has its supreme being. According to Torah my God made it very clear to Moses in the book of Exodus 3:15 what His appellation will be. So it makes it hard to argue otherwise.

That tetragrammaton is not a simple reference it is His proper noun and that proper noun is His appellation forever. Its not something which came from the imaginations of men, it came straight from יחרח Himself.

But you are for the most part right in that it has meaning too. The Hebrew word 'ehyeh' is a verb or a state of being and there are three forms or variations of that word. *These three forms of the verb 'ehyeh' make up the very name and meaning of God. They are; hayah (I was), hovah (I am) *and ehyeh (I will be). Put it all together and you get He who was, He who is and He who is to come. Each form of that verb forms the meaning and is a part of Yehovah's proper noun.

"where so ever I cause my name to be pronounced there I shall enter in and bless thee."
either you are a hebrew and not a messianic one or are one and choose to comment from that angle. interesting in either case.

either you are a hebrew and not a messianic one or are one and choose to comment from that angle. interesting in either case.

Actually I'm originally from Wisconsin and was raised to be a very devout Packers fan. :).

It IS written that God claimed Israel as his first born. Whereas the allah called allah and allah is his name does not. In the Nobel Quran a chapter called the Sura of the Cow it is probaly one of the most anti-semetic writtings ever written. I dont see how they could be the same. The comment was I hoped intended to stir a bit of conversation, nothing more.

I have to ask, what set my simple comment apart from Reba's that made you call me a troll? Twice now I have posted and you seem to want to place a label on me. Attempting to fit me in a box as jew, messanic jew and now a troll, why? If you want to know more about me, then ask because I would be more than happy to tell you.

Peace

To save space and avoid repetition, I would kindly refer to the first three posts (of mine) in the following: http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=41882 Or if you want to hear it from a Christian, then please see the ARamaic Pe****ta Bible Repository: http://bit.ly/JHLab4

In brief (so busy with exams at the moment :study), I would agree with the latter two points in the post here:

3 short reasons they are not the same

1. The God of the Bible exists. The "god" of islam doesnt (isaiah 44:6)
2. The God of the Bible is triune. The "god" of islam is unitarian (1 john 5:7)
3. The God of the Bible begets (John 3:16). The "god" of islam doesnt (surah 112:3)

With regards to the first point, which seems to be an emotional statement - call it what you like, but replace the word "God" with "Creator" and you will see where I'm coming from. One can claim that a divine writ is attributed to Him, which may be true or false, but that does not affect that the Creator is there. Would you say that Yahweh and Alaha/Alaah (Aramaic word for God) are the same? To God belong ALL the most beautiful names and descriptions, so the issue of name is not really the question here for me at least. The difference between "Allah" and "Yahweh" is not semantic, it is in description.

So the original question of "Is Yahweh and Allah one?" is - with respect - not the correct question to be asking because it betrays misconceptions, rather, one should ask "is the God described by Judaism and the God described by Christianity and the God described by Islam the same"? The answer is, in my opinion, that the intrinsic qualities of God in Judaism and Islam are very much the same, while in Christianity - as has been mentioned above - the Trinitarian concept and idea of begetting mark a distinction.

It IS written that God claimed Israel as his first born. Whereas the allah called allah and allah is his name does not. In the Nobel Quran a chapter called the Sura of the Cow it is probaly one of the most anti-semetic writtings ever written. I dont see how they could be the same. The comment was I hoped intended to stir a bit of conversation, nothing more.

I have to ask, what set my simple comment apart from Reba's that made you call me a troll? Twice now I have posted and you seem to want to place a label on me. Attempting to fit me in a box as jew, messanic jew and now a troll, why? If you want to know more about me, then ask because I would be more than happy to tell you.

Peace

why because i like to know which one im dealing with. few christian call god yhwh these days and when they do its either they are a messianic jew,or like me and also jeff does it but he doesnt post like that.

then theres the periodic jew we get here. isreal is gods firstborn but that doesnt contradict with what is said by john 3:16.

god cant have kids as jesus is eternal

Does Allah have a Son?

1Jn 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

1Jn 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
1Jn 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

Ain't it simple people?

What came first? The Bible. So this Mohammad guy had someone read him the Bible (I understand that despite apparently penning the koran, the dude was illiterate?) and then cooked up his own religion based on that because hey, everyone around him was either a jew or a christian or at least knew about them, so why the heck not?

Islam is in the EXACT same position as JWs and LDSs. Basically a PERSON decided to cook up their own religion based on the Bible.

So is God the same as Allah? Not really, but Allah is a HUMAN BEING's fictional representation of God. And "allah" is the arabic word for "god", so the arabic bible does use the word "allah", but only in the same way that any german bible uses the german word for god.

Im not trying to demonize Islam at all, I in fact have friends that are Muslims however I do a bit of random religious research on my own including topics such as demonology and I've come across Allah quite often however he is refered to as being a powerful demon

Back